* * * * - 6 votes

Wii U - General Discussion Thread

#1831 soonersfan60   Longing for retro CAG... CAGiversary!   3680 Posts   Joined 9.6 Years Ago  

soonersfan60

Posted 28 November 2012 - 03:37 PM

GoNintendo says this:

It's not a Pro Controller apparently. It's hardware is a combination of the Wiimote and classic controller. What a let down. If the game doesn't support classic controller, then it may not support this.

Did they have an actual hands on with this controller? The pre-order write-ups I've seen make it seem like it doubles as a Wii U pro controller and original Wii Classic controller pro. If it doesn't support all of the new Wii U pro controller functionality, this will be a huge let down... and I was planning on getting 4 of them.

#1832 foltzie   Strell where art thou? CAGiversary!   3199 Posts   Joined 11.0 Years Ago  

Posted 28 November 2012 - 03:52 PM

Did they have an actual hands on with this controller? The pre-order write-ups I've seen make it seem like it doubles as a Wii U pro controller and original Wii Classic controller pro. If it doesn't support all of the new Wii U pro controller functionality, this will be a huge let down... and I was planning on getting 4 of them.

. The images thus far are renders, until some website gets a demo, this has all the makings of vapourware.

#1833 jj5206   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   946 Posts   Joined 8.1 Years Ago  

Posted 28 November 2012 - 04:53 PM

GoNintendo says this:

It's not a Pro Controller apparently. It's hardware is a combination of the Wiimote and classic controller. What a let down. If the game doesn't support classic controller, then it may not support this.

That's a bummer. Oh well, I'll just get around to getting a pro controller one of these days.

#1834 Strell   LOBSTERS!....IN MY PANTS! CAGiversary!   26582 Posts   Joined 11.5 Years Ago  

Posted 28 November 2012 - 04:56 PM

I still want one. If it works well, it would be great for Brawl.

Posted Image
Aminal Crossing: Strell@Tazmily, 2836-3590- 0819

"One of the more...amusing screwballs around here..." - shrike4242
Join the El Hoardo Fan Club!
Threadless.com puts the fun back in laundry!...lafundry! HOORAY! (Referral link)
Wii Obscure FAQ and Facts Thread [Version 2.0] ::: Wii Shop Thread ::: DSi Shop Thread

#1835 Strell   LOBSTERS!....IN MY PANTS! CAGiversary!   26582 Posts   Joined 11.5 Years Ago  

Posted 28 November 2012 - 04:58 PM

I find it pointless to speculate on how successful Wii U will be this early.

You find it pointless because that's the correct thing to do. We won't know about the success of the Wii U for two years minimum. To say otherwise just shows bias.

Posted Image

Threadless.com puts the fun back in laundry!...lafundry! HOORAY! (Referral link)
Wii Obscure FAQ and Facts Thread [Version 2.0] ::: Wii Shop Thread ::: DSi Shop Thread

#1836 Erad30   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2320 Posts   Joined 5.0 Years Ago  

Posted 28 November 2012 - 05:12 PM

Eh, my wife isn't a core gamer only I am. If say she's more representative of the population. I sense hostility and defensiveness in your post for some reason. Is it really upsetting to you if the Wii U is flopping and has a march price drop like the 3ds did?

Only because yours seemed fairly arrogant. Your wife doesn't like the tablet and doesn't want it so the casual Wii fan must not want it. You a "core" gamer don't want it at this time so apparently that's a good indicator of general attitude for it. And by the way, 360 did 326,000 in it's launch in roughly the same time period. I don't think anyone was expecting this to be same out of nowhere smash the Wii was but it's already beating the 360 which you just compared it to out the gate.

Blog is on hiatus but check out both Screensnark & Gamesided for my latest writings!

Gamertag/PSN: Eradicator31

Wii U: Eradicator30

#1837 Blaster man  

Blaster man

Posted 28 November 2012 - 05:19 PM

Only because yours seemed fairly arrogant. Your wife doesn't like the tablet and doesn't want it so the casual Wii fan must not want it. You a "core" gamer don't want it at this time so apparently that's a good indicator of general attitude for it. And by the way, 360 did 326,000 in it's launch in roughly the same time period. I don't think anyone was expecting this to be same out of nowhere smash the Wii was but it's already beating the 360 which you just compared it to out the gate.

The 360 sold over 10 million before it was widely available. The Wii sold 400k before that happened.

#1838 Sir_Fragalot   wants Startropics 3. CAGiversary!   8152 Posts   Joined 9.2 Years Ago  

Sir_Fragalot

Posted 28 November 2012 - 05:26 PM

The 3DS had plenty of units available after launch and it is doing just fine. So Wii U is doing fine as well.

I kinda want Zombie U now. At first I thought it would be the Red Steel of this era but it seems fun. I will wait for the sale though.

125063.png808669.png
"Mega Man 9 isn't hard, you're just not paying attention." -KingBroly

#1839 Erad30   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2320 Posts   Joined 5.0 Years Ago  

Posted 28 November 2012 - 05:30 PM

The Wii U has been just over a week, that's all I'm comparing it to. That's what the 360 did in it's first week or so in sales. Also, there's a still a very long waiting list of people at gamestop, about a quarter of a million long. Also, you are again assuming poor sales just because it's available in a few places and that might have nothing to do with Nintendo having a better supply chain this time? 360 were hard to find for a bit yes, but supply was very constrained as well. A lot changes in 7 years. Nintendo repeatedly swore the supply chain would be better this time around.

Blog is on hiatus but check out both Screensnark & Gamesided for my latest writings!

#1840 Blaster man  

Blaster man

Posted 28 November 2012 - 05:40 PM

The 3DS had plenty of units available after launch and it is doing just fine. So Wii U is doing fine as well.

I kinda want Zombie U now. At first I thought it would be the Red Steel of this era but it seems fun. I will wait for the sale though.

I thought Zombie U sounded fun then I found out it was some kind of super hard roguelike game where you don't maintain the same character after death (permadeath)...

The Wii U has been just over a week, that's all I'm comparing it to. That's what the 360 did in it's first week or so in sales. Also, there's a still a very long waiting list of people at gamestop, about a quarter of a million long. Also, you are again assuming poor sales just because it's available in a few places and that might have nothing to do with Nintendo having a better supply chain this time? 360 were hard to find for a bit yes, but supply was very constrained as well. A lot changes in 7 years. Nintendo repeatedly swore the supply chain would be better this time around.

I agree that everything I'm pointing out is anecdotal. I've said as much. Until the NPD numbers come out all we have is anecdotal talk of personal experiences to go by.

#1841 Crunchewy   What? CAGiversary!   16879 Posts   Joined 8.5 Years Ago  

Posted 28 November 2012 - 05:58 PM

I think the permadeath bit of ZombiU, and how those dead characters remain in the game (dead), is one of the more appealing aspects of it. But I like rogue-likes. I definitely want to get it, but am hoping for a price drop, at least somewhat, before xmas, so I don't feel like I missed out on my opportunity to pre-order at a discount from newegg, which I did. :)

As far as how well the Wii U is doing, like others said, it's too early to tell. I certainly hope it does well. If sales drop off and they are forced to price drop it early, I just hope they give us some good stuff like they did with the 3DS. :)

Crunchewy.png

#1842 Strell   LOBSTERS!....IN MY PANTS! CAGiversary!   26582 Posts   Joined 11.5 Years Ago  

Posted 28 November 2012 - 06:05 PM

I'm personally attempting to wait until March at the earliest. By then, Nintendo's financial reports should be trickling out, and they'll either make a drastic decision or uphold the existing price.

It would also be nice if there ends up being a situation where Ambassador stuff occurs, but someone is selling the system at a reduced price prior to the official price drop (i.e., what happened with the 3DS, where Best Buy dropped it to $180 but you could still buy it and get Ambassador status locked in).

Guess we'll find out.

Posted Image

#1843 McFryyyyyy   Ninja Gaiden speedrunner CAGiversary!   3117 Posts   Joined 6.9 Years Ago   Has been playing New Super Mario Bros. 2
3DS

Posted 28 November 2012 - 07:55 PM

I'm personally attempting to wait until March at the earliest. By then, Nintendo's financial reports should be trickling out, and they'll either make a drastic decision or uphold the existing price.

It would also be nice if there ends up being a situation where Ambassador stuff occurs, but someone is selling the system at a reduced price prior to the official price drop (i.e., what happened with the 3DS, where Best Buy dropped it to $180 but you could still buy it and get Ambassador status locked in).

Guess we'll find out.

What is ambasador status and is it for Wii U?

Kamagii.png

#1844 Rig   Rig = Lunar CAGiversary!   13279 Posts   Joined 10.9 Years Ago   Has been playing Bayonetta 2
Wii U

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:10 PM

It was for original 3DS owners. (Free downloadable games.)

#1845 drktrpr1   Total GearsHead CAGiversary!   1678 Posts   Joined 6.5 Years Ago  

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:10 PM

Sales figures don't mean much to me, it's just a launch. As long as third parties keep supporting it, and Nintendo keeps putting out awesome AAA first party titles, I'll be much happier than if the WiiU sells more units than the next Xbox or PS.

I realize that theoretically better sales equals more households with a WiiU, which means more developers that are willing to put out titles for that system, but that wasn't exactly true for the first Wii, which was sorely lacking in the third party department despite selling incredibly better than MS and Sony.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#1846 pjarvi   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   176 Posts   Joined 9.0 Years Ago  

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:11 PM

Ambassador status was a freebie for early buyers of the 3DS that bought one prior to the big price drop. It gave those people (me) several free digital games.

I don't see the same thing happening for the Wii U, it's far too successful to need it. I've already bought 7 games since launch, whereas it was a struggle to find more than one good game for the 3DS when it launched.

360 game sales are dropping off a cliff and PS3 was dead on arrival which just has the late-buyers of those systems throwing a hissy fit that everyone's got something new and shiny that they don't have. :booty:

#1847 TimboSliceGB   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   5917 Posts   Joined 3.2 Years Ago  

TimboSliceGB

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:43 PM

Games can only get so pretty. Frame rates so high. The way we play is what needs to change. Even MS and Sony realize this. Kudos to Nintendo for being the curve. If not being ahead of it.

not really lol most people still want to play with the normal game pads why do you think nintendo made a big deal about the pro controller they know that if they want people from microsoft/sony base they need that controller. I will not use my wii u other then first party nintendo systems. After messing with wii u for a day i still think 360 has a better online experance and community and i have all systems so i can judge it. I could careless what is used to play the game i just want good gameplay.

#1848 Strell   LOBSTERS!....IN MY PANTS! CAGiversary!   26582 Posts   Joined 11.5 Years Ago  

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:45 PM

We're really sorry to see you go.

Posted Image

#1849 TimboSliceGB   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   5917 Posts   Joined 3.2 Years Ago  

TimboSliceGB

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:50 PM

I think a fair amount of people don't know it exists. I think that hurts even more.

i would agree. Some reason nintendo has never been great at get hype up for a system or it being well knowing. I see wii u ads here and there but nothing like 360 and ps3 ads.

#1850 TimboSliceGB   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   5917 Posts   Joined 3.2 Years Ago  

TimboSliceGB

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:54 PM

Ambassador status was a freebie for early buyers of the 3DS that bought one prior to the big price drop. It gave those people (me) several free digital games.

I don't see the same thing happening for the Wii U, it's far too successful to need it. I've already bought 7 games since launch, whereas it was a struggle to find more than one good game for the 3DS when it launched.

360 game sales are dropping off a cliff and PS3 was dead on arrival which just has the late-buyers of those systems throwing a hissy fit that everyone's got something new and shiny that they don't have. :booty:

most multiplatform games are purchased for 360 so that is falls that their sales are droping when it comes to ps3 3rd party titles have never outsold 360 copys. For me ps3 is great for ps3 only games online games i get for 360.

#1851 Crunchewy   What? CAGiversary!   16879 Posts   Joined 8.5 Years Ago  

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:13 PM

I'll presume that made sense in some alternate universe.

Crunchewy.png

#1852 Erad30   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2320 Posts   Joined 5.0 Years Ago  

Posted 29 November 2012 - 12:53 AM

I am going to say that a new way to play is what I look for in a new system, not the same stuff with shinier graphics. Granted, I'm sure as a huge gamer I will pick up on Xbox 720/PS4 eventually but if all they have to offer is shinier graphics they won't be a launch day buy and probably not until they have something I really want like the next Uncharted or Mass Effect or whatever.

I picked up the nerf armor and the write and protect pack. The nerf armor feels nice and fits pretty comfortably. Haven't really tried out how well it protects my Gamepad, but I'm not going to throw it on the floor to test it out either. The screens included with the write & protect pack are kind of useless, they get air bubbles really easy and i couldn't use the touch pad with them on. It does come with a cleaning cloth and a couple extra styluses though.

#1853 wasabi5858   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1502 Posts   Joined 6.6 Years Ago  

Posted 29 November 2012 - 02:55 AM

I use the hori screen protector and it is nice. easy to apply

#1854 Rig   Rig = Lunar CAGiversary!   13279 Posts   Joined 10.9 Years Ago   Has been playing Bayonetta 2
Wii U

Posted 29 November 2012 - 02:36 PM

I use the hori screen protector and it is nice. easy to apply

Cool, my order from Gamestop shipped yesterday. Hope to have it tomorrow.

#1855 dothog   n ur race snakin mai kart CAGiversary!   2648 Posts   Joined 10.6 Years Ago  

Posted 29 November 2012 - 03:36 PM

I'm also going to wait until the end of the launch window, but my decision is going to be the TVii, the expanded games library, and newly announced games for 2-tablet play. I've assumed that if I want to buy a WIIU in the next 2 years, it costs $300. Given what we know, the possibilities of a price drop are so remote as to be highly improbable:
  • N's already said -- to many outlets -- that they're selling the WIIU at a loss, or rather, that it becomes "profit positive" once the adopter buys a WIIU game. Hence, there's already not much wiggle room on that MSRP.
  • Furthermore, manufacturing costs historically take a while to result in lowered MSRPs, and those potential drops are further complicated by the tablet. They take up a good chunk of the overall cost, they're apparently the bottleneck in overall production. Given their trickiness, it seems further unlikely that there will be production efficiencies to drive those costs down.
I can't imagine it being cheaper in Holiday 2013, much less the conclusion of the Launch Window (March 2013), and if MSRP reduction in either case occurs, it may be a symptom of a dire situation. Perhaps I'm being wishful, but for N's sake I hope the MSRP doesn't go anywhere.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#1856 Strell   LOBSTERS!....IN MY PANTS! CAGiversary!   26582 Posts   Joined 11.5 Years Ago  

Posted 29 November 2012 - 04:07 PM

[*]N's already said -- to many outlets -- that they're selling the WIIU at a loss, or rather, that it becomes "profit positive" once the adopter buys a WIIU game. Hence, there's already not much wiggle room on that MSRP.

Hmmm. Does the Deluxe set fall under this category?

Either way, I'm in no rush. Either a big incentive needs to show up, a big sale of some kind needs to show up (some retailers sidestep this, such as Target giving store gift cards for Apple products), I get it as a gift from someone, or some serious game announcements occur relatively soon.

Posted Image

#1857 soonersfan60   Longing for retro CAG... CAGiversary!   3680 Posts   Joined 9.6 Years Ago  

soonersfan60

Posted 29 November 2012 - 04:11 PM

People are assuming (wrongly, I think) that there might be a Wii U price drop sooner rather than later just because the 3DS got a price cut rather quickly. In addition to the points that dothog makes aboue Wii U cost to build, people also forget that Nintendo pretty much admitted pricing the 3DS at a premium because of positive press at E3 and other shows. I definitely got the impression that Nintendo was going to price the 3DS at $199 until they saw the reaction to the technology and got greedy. Even when they cut the price, I believe they were still making money on 3DS hardware. Nintendo won't take an even bigger loss on Wii U hardware, at least not until the competitor's machines are out and vying for consumer dollars.

#1858 cheapbrokegamer   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   662 Posts   Joined 5.5 Years Ago  

cheapbrokegamer

Posted 29 November 2012 - 04:34 PM

Yeah wii u is doomed! Ohh no! Yay!

Anyways, what games can be completely played on the wii u gamepad besides New super Mario's bros
8-) Head BrokeAss

#1859 theflicker   Hurm. CAGiversary!   1448 Posts   Joined 10.4 Years Ago  

theflicker

Posted 29 November 2012 - 04:46 PM

Yeah wii u is doomed! Ohh no! Yay!

Anyways, what games can be completely played on the wii u gamepad besides New super Mario's bros

ACIII is another.

#1860 Blaster man  

Blaster man

Posted 29 November 2012 - 05:04 PM

People are assuming (wrongly, I think) that there might be a Wii U price drop sooner rather than later just because the 3DS got a price cut rather quickly. In addition to the points that dothog makes aboue Wii U cost to build, people also forget that Nintendo pretty much admitted pricing the 3DS at a premium because of positive press at E3 and other shows. I definitely got the impression that Nintendo was going to price the 3DS at $199 until they saw the reaction to the technology and got greedy. Even when they cut the price, I believe they were still making money on 3DS hardware. Nintendo won't take an even bigger loss on Wii U hardware, at least not until the competitor's machines are out and vying for consumer dollars.

I believe that there will DEFINITELY be a price drop prior to the next holiday season. No way this can compete with the nextbox without it.