Matrix Games Holiday Sale (PC strategy games) - 33% off

Sentinel

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Hey folks,

For any serious PC strategy gamers here, Matrix Games is having their annual sale, with most of their catalog at 33% off until January 8th. Their games are generally pretty pricey, but this makes them more reasonable, and it is the only sale they do. Some recommendations include:

Distant Worlds @ $27- well-reviewed 4x space strategy game
Panzer Corps @ $20 - spiritual successor to Panzer General, 50% off for a few days
War in the East @ $54 - huge WW2 Eastern Front game

The full list is HERE.

if you are really looking for a sweeping strategy game, I recommend War in the Pacific. I had some great times with the original, and am SERIOUSLY tempted to get a copy of the new version!

Admirals edition is a good game, also I want to point out Panzer Corps its pretty much the spiritual successor to the old panzer general games. Also Distant worlds is a great 4x strategy game if you like that sort of things, the second expansion pack just came out and has really improved the game great deal.

[quote name='mrsachmo']if you are really looking for a sweeping strategy game, I recommend War in the Pacific. I had some great times with the original, and am SERIOUSLY tempted to get a copy of the new version![/QUOTE]

I am in the same boat (pun somewhat intended). The game is massive, possibly the largest strategy game ever made. It takes months and perhaps years to play a full campaign. Unfortunately, the new Admiral's Edition, while generally improved, lacks smaller scenarios. The boxed version comes with a 330-page color manual, but that costs almost $80 shipped... during the sale!

If you want to sample this kind of game, you might be better off with Uncommon Valor, an earlier game that uses the same engine, but has smaller scenarios and "only" covers the South Pacific. That one is only $21 during the sale.

Matrix rarely puts out demos, so extensive research is usually required before buying. I can try to answer questions, or point you in the right direction if you are still interested.

[quote name='Sentinel']I am in the same boat (pun somewhat intended). The game is massive, possibly the largest strategy game ever made. It takes months and perhaps years to play a full campaign. Unfortunately, the new Admiral's Edition, while generally improved, lacks smaller scenarios. The boxed version comes with a 330-page color manual, but that costs almost $80 shipped... during the sale!

If you want to sample this kind of game, you might be better off with Uncommon Valor, an earlier game that uses the same engine, but has smaller scenarios and "only" covers the South Pacific. That one is only $21 during the sale.

Matrix rarely puts out demos, so extensive research is usually required before buying. I can try to answer questions, or point you in the right direction if you are still interested.[/QUOTE]

Well from what I have seen these sale prices are only for the digital download versions of the games. Not the box shipped versions.

[quote name='Terlan']Well from what I have seen these sale prices are only for the digital download versions of the games. Not the box shipped versions.[/QUOTE]

Sale prices do apply to the boxed versions as well, at least for the few games I have looked at. Note that many of the games (those labeled "DX") do not have a printed manual even if you buy the boxed version. Others offer black-and-white manuals, and I think only WITP AE has a full color printed manual.

In other words, don't bother buying the boxed "DX" games, unless you need something on your shelf.

bread's done
Back