Need for Speed: Shift 2 Unleashed (360) $9.50 at Best Buy

Neuco

CAGiversary!
Found this while randomly looking through game aisles today at my local Best Buy. It's the limited edition, too. I just did a quick check on bestbuy.com and it's listed there too.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Shift+2...&skuId=1814093&st=shift 2 unleashed&lp=1&cp=1

PS3 version is listed as $29.99 and PC listed as $19.99. I figured for $10, why not give this game a chance. Got mostly positive reviews, too.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-360/shift-2-unleashed

If this was already posted, my apologies in advance.

As an alternate deal, you could also get this game for PS3 or 360 at Blockbuster Video as part of their 3/$19.99 or 5/$29.99 deal on used games/movies they have going on right now. Only problems I could see with getting these games used is either getting a defective/scratched up copy or having the online pass(if this game has one) being used.

"Take the Pole Position with the Limited Edition - Check out SHIFT 2 UNLEASHED today to get your hands on the Limited Edition featuring exclusive bonus content with instant access to three additional cars - the Nissan Silvia spec.R Aero (S15), Alfa Romeo Giulietta QV, and Lamborghini Murciélago LP640 - plus 40 new career events. Race in Single-Type events with all racers in the same car, battle in classic and modern versions of the same car in Old vs. New events, and engage in Manufacturer Showdowns with racers behind the wheel of different car makes and models."

nice find. you can't go wrong for ten bucks. the link is only for the standard version and doing a quick search doesn't pull up the limited edition, so that part might be an in-store only thing.

All copies out there are the LE right now AFAIK... good ol' EA trying to get everyone excited over nothing.

This is a repost of a repost, though, although the main BB deal thread's title is a bit vague and the Shift 2 posting is a few days old now. (not sure if it was bumped lately)

Wow....can't believe this is news to some. It's been posted more than once and has been available at this price since the beginning of the week.

I have this game, it has an online pass, so you definitely wouldn't want to get a used one, especially since the game only costs $9.50.

[quote name='foreinter']Not sure if this can be combined with B2G1 online starting tomorrow.[/QUOTE]

B2G1 applies to 29.99 and up only, IIRC

[quote name='DaShaka']Dang wish It was for PS3[/QUOTE]

For what its worth, you wouldnt want it for the PS3, there have been MASSIVE reports of issues for the PS3 version, particularly completely disappearing save games, and this isnt a game you want to lose your progress in.

I have it for Xbox, and while I'll say its the most fun racing game I've played, it certainly has its issues, and I'll list a few things below;

Pros;
1) Easily the most "intense" racing sim/arcade game of the major 3 (GT5 and Forza 4)... the cockpit racing is unrivaled from a sense of immersion.

2) SOUND... incredible sound. Forza has upped its game in this respect, but even so the visceral sound of Shift 2's engines and collisions is unmatched. The Maserati GT1 engine is sexy as hell, and most other cars in the game sound fantastic as well. The convertable/open top cars add extra wind sounds and the tires squeeling as they slide and lose traction is phenominal.

3) Track roughness and verticality. Compared to both Forza 4 and GT5, which has most tracks riding very smooth and very little feel of actual altitude change between sections Shift 2 has a much greater sense of vertical climbing and descending. Nords and even the Aussie track are great displays of how I imagine it would feel driving on these tracks.

Cons;

1) A variety of bugs/game save issues between all systems. PS3 is the worst of them, but even on Xbox there have been issues. I can confirm this personally in that after getting about 65% through career and racing over 300+ hours, that about 9 out 10 times my game will lock itself at the start screen and I have to use a save file I backed up on a USB drive... so basically I can no longer progress any further in the game, as whatever I do will simply be erased when I quit my current session.

2) Out of the box (without messing with game settings and car tunning) its FAR from perfect. The "twitch" of the controlls with a regular Xbox or PS3 controller is AWFUL. Anyone who buys this should IMMEDIATELY go into settings and turn the sensitivity to about 5-20% of the 50% default, and it'll greatly help making the cars much more controllable at high speeds. Also MANY of the cars require tunning to make them drive as they should. Only a few cars are actually nice to drive with default setup. There is a REALLY great website with some great tunning (Renown Tunning Setups on a GT5 forum), which you can literally just copy from and enter into your game, and will immensily improve your fun and driving with most cars.

3) Collisions are a little too overboard, unlike GT5 and Forza 4 which have underwhelming crashes, the crashing in Shift 2 in real life would have racers leaving in body bags in virtually every race. Its fun from a "holy **** did you just see that!" perspective, but can be frustrating if you're racing a tough track or a long race and a light tap knocks you out of the race (unless you're playing the AI on easy).

All in all, at this price I HIGHLY recommend the game, and I've only said all this because I do recommend the game, but I would definitely warn people of some of the games downfalls.

I'm playing a lot of Forza 4 right now myself, but if it wasnt for the save game issue I'm having, I might not have even bought Forza 4. (Though let me say Forza 4 is lots of fun as well).

If you like sim style racers (as its more sim than arcade) I highly recommend it, at least from the standpoint that there is no other racer which feels as intense when racing from the cockpit.

If there is anyone here that doesn't look at the iOS thread often the iPhone and iPad versions of this game are still free for a limited time.

[quote name='Justin42']All copies out there are the LE right now AFAIK... good ol' EA trying to get everyone excited over nothing.

This is a repost of a repost, though, although the main BB deal thread's title is a bit vague and the Shift 2 posting is a few days old now. (not sure if it was bumped lately)[/QUOTE]

I actually hadn't see it and I've been checking this site like crazy lately. Also, how do you know all copies are LE? Are you referring to online copies as well?

[quote name='ChunLiBarbie']Target clearance section has the Xbox Limited Edition version of this for $8.98 with extra cars...[/QUOTE]
Target.com still lists it as $59.99. Maybe they didn't update the website yet?

http://www.target.com/p/Shift-2-Unleashed-Xbox-360/-/A-13297773

In any event, my apologies to my fellow CAGsters. Looks like this was posted on the first page in this thread:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=309645

Mods, feel free to close this if need be. Thank you.

[quote name='Strategy101']For what its worth, you wouldnt want it for the PS3, there have been MASSIVE reports of issues for the PS3 version, particularly completely disappearing save games, and this isnt a game you want to lose your progress in.

I have it for Xbox, and while I'll say its the most fun racing game I've played, it certainly has its issues, and I'll list a few things below;

Pros;
1) Easily the most "intense" racing sim/arcade game of the major 3 (GT5 and Forza 4)... the cockpit racing is unrivaled from a sense of immersion.

2) SOUND... incredible sound. Forza has upped its game in this respect, but even so the visceral sound of Shift 2's engines and collisions is unmatched. The Maserati GT1 engine is sexy as hell, and most other cars in the game sound fantastic as well. The convertable/open top cars add extra wind sounds and the tires squeeling as they slide and lose traction is phenominal.

3) Track roughness and verticality. Compared to both Forza 4 and GT5, which has most tracks riding very smooth and very little feel of actual altitude change between sections Shift 2 has a much greater sense of vertical climbing and descending. Nords and even the Aussie track are great displays of how I imagine it would feel driving on these tracks.

Cons;

1) A variety of bugs/game save issues between all systems. PS3 is the worst of them, but even on Xbox there have been issues. I can confirm this personally in that after getting about 65% through career and racing over 300+ hours, that about 9 out 10 times my game will lock itself at the start screen and I have to use a save file I backed up on a USB drive... so basically I can no longer progress any further in the game, as whatever I do will simply be erased when I quit my current session.

2) Out of the box (without messing with game settings and car tunning) its FAR from perfect. The "twitch" of the controlls with a regular Xbox or PS3 controller is AWFUL. Anyone who buys this should IMMEDIATELY go into settings and turn the sensitivity to about 5-20% of the 50% default, and it'll greatly help making the cars much more controllable at high speeds. Also MANY of the cars require tunning to make them drive as they should. Only a few cars are actually nice to drive with default setup. There is a REALLY great website with some great tunning (Renown Tunning Setups on a GT5 forum), which you can literally just copy from and enter into your game, and will immensily improve your fun and driving with most cars.

3) Collisions are a little too overboard, unlike GT5 and Forza 4 which have underwhelming crashes, the crashing in Shift 2 in real life would have racers leaving in body bags in virtually every race. Its fun from a "holy **** did you just see that!" perspective, but can be frustrating if you're racing a tough track or a long race and a light tap knocks you out of the race (unless you're playing the AI on easy).

All in all, at this price I HIGHLY recommend the game, and I've only said all this because I do recommend the game, but I would definitely warn people of some of the games downfalls.

I'm playing a lot of Forza 4 right now myself, but if it wasnt for the save game issue I'm having, I might not have even bought Forza 4. (Though let me say Forza 4 is lots of fun as well).

If you like sim style racers (as its more sim than arcade) I highly recommend it, at least from the standpoint that there is no other racer which feels as intense when racing from the cockpit.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the great breakdown of the game. :D

It just saved me $10 as I don't think it is the type of game for me, in combination of some of those bugs/issues it still seems to have.

[quote name='Neuco']In any event, my apologies to my fellow CAGsters. Looks like this was posted on the first page in this thread:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=309645

Mods, feel free to close this if need be. Thank you.[/QUOTE]

Don't apologize, they need to take Killzone out of the title of that thread, that deal is dead and the list of games is huge within the thread. Like I said I would never of found the deal.

Hey, I posted this the other day and other games that they have cheap. Also they have Alice for $19.50 and Brink for $9.99. REPOST :}

[quote name='cmp2005']i got shift 2 le ufc 2011 and lucha libre all for less than 30 lol great deals they had alot in my store[/QUOTE]

I wanted that Lucha Libre game but the announcer is in English so that kinda bummed me out. Also, I heard it had horrible AI.

Thanks OP!!! Hurried to the local BB and picked up NFS:S 2! Been waiting for a greater price on it than the price drop to $30, & FINALLY it's here!

if dirt 3 is $15 again at best buy, i would get that instead.
i've been playing shift 2 off and on and it is pretty terrible even w/ a wheel.
i can't speak for dirt 3 though. best buy finally shipped it but i haven't received it yet.

bread's done
Back