Gamefly rentals: 2 months for $30 (2 games out)

Sashka

CAGiversary!
Hello.

You can "gift" yourself 2 months of Gamefly for 27.95 ($30 with tax) 2 games out at a time. Usually, with no deals/coupons, this would be $50 if you picked 2 games out at a time for 2 months. Just go to

http://www.gamefly.com/Gift-Certificate/Buy/

I just did it and it worked perfectly. This is the full list. Choose whichever is best for you. This is a rather phenomenal deal if you use Gamefly on a regular basis and can't afford to buy many games (*If you buy six 2-month gift cards, that's $168 as opposed to a regular subscription which would be 12x23 = $276, both no tax included. So, if you use Gamefly frequently, it's obviously best to buy several 2-month cards) Also works with 1 game out at a time.

* Make sure to use this http://www.gamefly.com/gift-certificate/redeem when redeeming your gift card.
  • 1 month - $22.95
  • 2 months - $27.95 (Save 20%)
  • 3 months - $48.95 (Save 15%)
  • 6 months - $107.95 (Save 15%)
  • 12 months - $224.95 (Save 15%)

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know who does their math - because none of that makes sense. 6 months should be cheaper than 2x 3months, 12 months should be cheaper than 2x 6months, etc.
2 months is definitely the deal there - just buy multiples if you want more than 2.

I'm sure it's not risky. I just did it and it worked without any problems.

@ Pookymeister That's why I recommend the 2 months. Because they obviously screwed up their math. Take advantage of it while you can. I'm only getting the 2 months because I won't be able to game much after that time.

But yea..I bought it, sent it to a different e-mail I use, and redeemed it from there. My current subscription expires on the 12th of December, and it'll start using up my two months on the 12th of December.

This isn't a deal imo, just do my technique.

1) Make a new email account on gamefly (if you already have a account)
2) Use the referral program from someone, can find in CAG referral area (don't use your own)
3) Pay 2 Games Out at a time - 2 Months for only$11.48/Month Billed once at $22.95 (can do 1 game out also)
4) Cancel after 2 months
5) Repeat if wanted

I've been doing this for years now for fall releases.

[quote name='CyReN']This isn't a deal imo, just do my technique.

1) Make a new email account on gamefly (if you already have a account)
2) Use the referral program from someone, can find in CAG referral area (don't use your own)
3) Pay 2 Games Out at a time - 2 Months for only$11.48/Month Billed once at $22.95
4) Cancel after 2 months
5) Repeat if wanted

I've been doing this for years now for fall releases.[/QUOTE]

That sounds like much more work and more expensive than just getting the 2 month gift card. But I guess you can do that as well.

This deal for 2 months = $30 with tax included
What you do = $37 or so tax included

[quote name='Sepatown Tippie Tais']This is something I can buy now and redeem in the future?

They just gave me a free month when I went to cancel and I don't want to screw that up.[/QUOTE]

Yes..you can redeem gift cards whenever you want. But even if you have an active membership,it'll only start using the gift card after your active membership expires.

But since yours is a free month, I'd just redeem the card after it ends, to be safe.

[quote name='Sashka']I'm sure it's not risky. I just did it and it worked without any problems.

@ Pookymeister That's why I recommend the 2 months. Because they obviously screwed up their math. Take advantage of it while you can. I'm only getting the 2 months because I won't be able to game much after that time.

But yea..I bought it, sent it to a different e-mail I use, and redeemed it from there. My current subscription expires on the 12th of December, and it'll start using up my two months on the 12th of December.[/QUOTE]

Doing it doesn't mean they won't catch on and so something...their terms do say:

GameFly will have the right to close customer accounts and request alternative forms of payment if a fraudulently obtained gift certificate is redeemed.

I tried using my code and it just takes me back to my account page. The end date for my subscription doesn't change or anything.

[quote name='Prismatico']Doing it doesn't mean they won't catch on and so something...their terms do say:

GameFly will have the right to close customer accounts and request alternative forms of payment if a fraudulently obtained gift certificate is redeemed.[/QUOTE]

Key ward.."fraud."

This is in no way fraud. You didn't steal it, you bought it from their website.

If you are so worried, you can just make a new account to buy the gift card and send it to the account that you want to redeem it on.

[quote name='shoe478']I tried using my code and it just takes me back to my account page. The end date for my subscription doesn't change or anything.[/QUOTE]

I just clicked the giant REDEEM button in the e-mail and it redeemed it.

On the "My Account" page the gift-certificate shows up and tells you what months it will be active for.

Is there any way to buy this and not activate it until a desired date? I want to buy this and use it during the summer months... I'm afraid if i purchase this now, it will immediately become active. Can anyone enlighten me on the specifics?

[quote name='Snuggelz']Is there any way to buy this and not activate it until a desired date? I want to buy this and use it during the summer months... I'm afraid if i purchase this now, it will immediately become active. Can anyone enlighten me on the specifics?[/QUOTE]

It will only activate if you redeem it. So, the simplest way is to choose the print option, print it, and not redeem it until you want to.

Or, if you use the immediate e-mail option, don't click the giant REDEEM button in the e-mail you receive until you wish to redeem it.

This is how gift cards work :p

I'd highly advise anyone who doesn't want to waste money to stay away from Gamefly. They 'always' seem to have problems getting games returned to them. Two games, sent in the same postal box , one goes missing, one doesn't.

I don't buy it and cancelled after it happened a second time. I should note they 'found' it, without a single word in response after I complained.

[quote name='Bios Element']I'd highly advise anyone who doesn't want to waste money to stay away from Gamefly. They 'always' seem to have problems getting games returned to them. Two games, sent in the same postal box , one goes missing, one doesn't.

I don't buy it and cancelled after it happened a second time. I should note they 'found' it, without a single word in response after I complained.[/QUOTE]

I've never had a problem, for the few years I've used it. You are clearly in the minority, unless you are one of those persons who troll forums. Gamefly would not be as successful as it is if their business model and execution was not solid.

Also..bought a few games off their sales recently, which are pretty phenomenal. All of them came without a scratch, complete with the box/manual. Free shipping also, if you are a member.

[quote name='Bios Element']I'd highly advise anyone who doesn't want to waste money to stay away from Gamefly. They 'always' seem to have problems getting games returned to them. Two games, sent in the same postal box , one goes missing, one doesn't.

I don't buy it and cancelled after it happened a second time. I should note they 'found' it, without a single word in response after I complained.[/QUOTE]

I've had the same problem with them, they even accused me of stealing the game that got lost in the mail and closed my account! Not to mention you can count on not getting new releases for 1-2 months after they come out, unless you put them in your que early and have an open spot.

[quote name='Sashka']Key ward.."fraud."

This is in no way fraud. You didn't steal it, you bought it from their website.

If you are so worried, you can just make a new account to buy the gift card and send it to the account that you want to redeem it on.[/QUOTE]

Fine, I disagree as fraud by legal definition is not limited to stealing, but let's just call it "exploiting the system." They've banned people for far less things out of the customer's control.

Will anyone be from this? I doubt it, but companies catch on and take action against things like this more and more these days, so I simply implied that it should be noted as a risk.

As for varying degrees of service quality, the complaints are too widespread to just use your own experience as a way to actually insinuate that someone is a troll. Just because I've only had a few bumps over 6 years doesn't mean that I'd take that route.

Obviously, we believe you. Who wouldn't believe a credible source of truth and objectivity that is Sandman8288?

If he says they closed his account after they accused him of stealing a game, it must be true.

[quote name='Prismatico']Fine, I disagree as fraud by legal definition is not limited to stealing, but let's just call it "exploiting the system." They've banned people for far less things out of the customer's control.

Will anyone be from this? I doubt it, but companies catch on and take action against things like this more and more these days, so I simply implied that it should be noted as a risk.

As for varying degrees of service quality, the complaints are too widespread to just use your own experience as a way to actually insinuate that someone is a troll. Just because I've only had a few bumps over 6 years doesn't mean that I'd take that route.[/QUOTE]

You are missing a very, very important point..which is:

You are not doing anything that you are not supposed to be doing. You are simply buying a gift card. Like I said, you can buy it on a different account and send it to the one you use if you are so worried.

[quote name='Sashka']You are missing a very, very important point..which is:

You are not doing anything that you are not supposed to be doing. You are simply buying a gift card. Like I said, you can buy it on a different account and send it to the one you use if you are so worried.[/QUOTE]

ditto. In fact they give you a discount, because you lock in for a certain amount of time. It's basic economics.

I bought a 1 year gift certificate for myself for the past 2 years. I call it a self-gift :) . Nobody prohibits you from buying a Starbucks GC and use it yourself.

next time I will buy multiple 2 months certificates, because clearly their pricing structure doesn't make any sense. The 1 year one should be the best deal

Hate to break it to you but unless your going to use it NOW dont waste your time i say..

Gamefly will say ITS A PRICE MISTAKE 2 months is 5% dont ask me why its 20% now ...

im sure they will cancell and recredit your account

Then again Gamefly sucks so badly now (week turn around each way) They probally have 1000s of people leaving

also isnt their math MESSED up

1 month 23
2 months 28 (46) 20% off 23 would be 4.60 2 months would be 42 something NOT 28

Seems they are fixxing it

Can NO LONGER GET 1 gAME at a time to show up

ITS NOW DEAD AT LEAST FOR ME

[quote name='slidecage']Hate to break it to you but unless your going to use it NOW dont waste your time i say..

Gamefly will say ITS A PRICE MISTAKE 2 months is 5% dont ask me why its 20% now ...

im sure they will cancell and recredit your account

Then again Gamefly sucks so badly now (week turn around each way) They probally have 1000s of people leaving

also isnt their math MESSED up

1 month 23
2 months 28 (46) 20% off 23 would be 4.60 2 months would be 42 something NOT 28

Seems they are fixxing it

Can NO LONGER GET 1 gAME at a time to show up

ITS NOW DEAD AT LEAST FOR ME[/QUOTE]

What are you talking about? It's still fine..

[quote name='Sashka']What are you talking about? It's still fine..[/QUOTE]

Try it now its no longer working

I have a BIG SILVER BAR OVER

Number of games out and FROM BOX

cant fill in boxes so it will NOT PRocess it

[quote name='slidecage']Try it now its no longer working

I have a BIG SILVER BAR OVER

Number of games out and FROM BOX

cant fill in boxes so it will NOT PRocess it[/QUOTE]

Still working for me, sucks for you, I guess.

[quote name='Sashka']I've never had a problem, for the few years I've used it. You are clearly in the minority, unless you are one of those persons who troll forums. Gamefly would not be as successful as it is if their business model and execution was not solid.

Also..bought a few games off their sales recently, which are pretty phenomenal. All of them came without a scratch, complete with the box/manual. Free shipping also, if you are a member.[/QUOTE]

Nope, not a troll. I think it's a great business model and a great idea, but it's highly unnerving and the fact that they claim it's missing, and then magically find it without bothering to respond is really troubling. When $50 some dollars are on the line for a game I don't even have anymore, it's kinda something I'm willing to warm people about.

[quote name='Bios Element']Nope, not a troll. I think it's a great business model and a great idea, but it's highly unnerving and the fact that they claim it's missing, and then magically find it without bothering to respond is really troubling. When $50 some dollars are on the line for a game I don't even have anymore, it's kinda something I'm willing to warm people about.[/QUOTE]

Anyone with common sense appreciates that there will always be a degree of risk when using a service/buying something online. That is the price of convenience which most of pay in one way or another, my friend.

[quote name='Sashka']Anyone with common sense appreciates that there will always be a degree of risk when using a service/buying something online. That is the price of convenience which most of pay in one way or another, my friend.[/QUOTE]

also a company that So called closes its doors tuesday - friday for thanksgiving and not ships a game out and REFUSES to give any of that time back..

they can make you wait up to 10 days after you send a game to them to even send anotehr game out ...

anyone else getting that siliver bar... i got a prepaid till march anyways but would of grabbed another few 2 months ones but im sure they will cancell them anyways when they see the price mistake

I had games cancelled when they said it was price mistakes

SILVER bar i got over Number of games and TO

GameFly.com Online Video Game Rentals - Rent or Buy Video Games Online

[quote name='slidecage']also a company that So called closes its doors tuesday - friday for thanksgiving and not ships a game out and REFUSES to give any of that time back..

they can make you wait up to 10 days after you send a game to them to even send anotehr game out ...

anyone else getting that siliver bar... i got a prepaid till march anyways but would of grabbed another few 2 months ones but im sure they will cancell them anyways when they see the price mistake

I had games cancelled when they said it was price mistakes

SILVER bar i got over Number of games and TO

GameFly.com Online Video Game Rentals - Rent or Buy Video Games Online[/QUOTE]

You are awfully eager to jump on this considering how much you apparently dislike the service..

[quote name='slidecage']

[/QUOTE]

They dont give you the codes right away if you chose to print?

If anyone's interested in 3 months of GameFly (2 games out at a time) for $30, JungleCents is having a deal right now. Still seems like a pretty shifty site to me, but it worked out just fine. I don't know when the deal ends.

Be aware that it's apparently for new customers only. I couldn't tack it onto my just-about-to-end membership, so I let my previous one run its course and opened up a new account.

Just extended my 1 game a month plan through July with 3x 2 month gift cards @ $18.95 each.

I don't really understand their "Save 20%" math. I normally pay $15.95, this is $18.95 for 2 months, or ~9.50 per month. Isn't that closer to 40%?

Thanks OP

[quote name='Sashka']You are awfully eager to jump on this considering how much you apparently dislike the service..[/QUOTE]

just saying dont be shocked to see these cancelled and your cash back

o and they do THROTTLE people on prepaid plans cause they know they can (since if you cancell you out all of the cash)

[quote name='slidecage']just saying dont be shocked to see these cancelled and your cash back

o and they do THROTTLE people on prepaid plans cause they know they can (since if you cancell you out all of the cash)[/QUOTE]

You are clearly not very savvy in economics/business.

If their customers are not satisfied, they will not renew after their prepaid ends. It is not smart for them to "throttle" those customers because they could lose potential future business and because word of mouth is such a big factor when it comes to online-based businesses.

Besides...any intelligent person would not use up all the gift card codes at once anyway. They would spread them out and use them when they needed to, only after their first card expired.

[quote name='SniperREX']ditto. In fact they give you a discount, because you lock in for a certain amount of time. It's basic economics.

I bought a 1 year gift certificate for myself for the past 2 years. I call it a self-gift :) . Nobody prohibits you from buying a Starbucks GC and use it yourself.

next time I will buy multiple 2 months certificates, because clearly their pricing structure doesn't make any sense. The 1 year one should be the best deal[/QUOTE]

The Starbucks gift card comparison isn't quite the same given that this is a subscription service but I get what you're saying. I've seen different results with self-gifting during promotions by other companies before, but according to their customer service it is allowed here.

I apologize for my skepticism.

I've been using gamefly for over a year now. i've never had them lose my games that I've sent out to them. The biggest issue I have is they don't always send out games I want to play fast enough but its not a huge problem either. Also with their sales and my 10% off used games membership lately my monthly membership has been paying for itself since I've been buying a lot of used games.

So I just bought one 2 month code and I entered it in the redemption box and nothing happened...

Anyone encounter this same issue? No invalid error message either so I'm not sure what's going on.

[quote name='Sashka']Obviously, we believe you. Who wouldn't believe a credible source of truth and objectivity that is Sandman8288?

If he says they closed his account after they accused him of stealing a game, it must be true.[/QUOTE]

Do you work for Gamefly? Because for some reason you seem to have a problem with anyone criticizing them in this thread...you may be trying to defend the deal you posted, but you're coming off as a douchebag. I also don't like people insinuating that I'm lying, I have nothing to gain by doing so.

To continue the story, a few years later, I actually contacted Gamefly because I wanted to try it again because they opened a few new distribution centers since I last had them, and I hoped their service had improved. They told me if I ever found the game from 3 years previously that was "lost in the mail", they would restore my service, and I replied that I would like this situation elevated to a Supervisor, who told me that the games were found shortly after my account was closed, and the issue should have been taken off my account 2 1/2 years ago.

Anyways, after trying them again, their service is still extremely slow, but I've had no issues with them losing games. On the two out plan, I only ended up with 6 games in a month, which is not worth the price with when I can rent from Redbox and actually get the stuff I want, and not stuff from the bottom of the que.

[quote name='Sashka']You are clearly not very savvy in economics/business.

If their customers are not satisfied, they will not renew after their prepaid ends. It is not smart for them to "throttle" those customers because they could lose potential future business and because word of mouth is such a big factor when it comes to online-based businesses.

Besides...any intelligent person would not use up all the gift card codes at once anyway. They would spread them out and use them when they needed to, only after their first card expired.[/QUOTE]

well when the OFFER was right it was

5% off 3 months
10% off 6 months
15% off 9 months
and
20% off 12 months

SO i jumped on the 12 month...

I was a member for a few years before doing the 1 year membership... when i was month to month i was getting 2 to 3 day back and forth .. since i been on the membership Its been 5 to 7 days each way..

When i went into to complain they even told me GO ahead and leave you wont get any of your membership back... when i was month to month i would be given credit if a shipment took over a week to get to me

Say i drop off a game DEC 1 if i didnt have a new game shipped out by DEC 9 i would get an email saying something like sorry lost a week we have given you 3 to 5 bucks credit to make up for it

Now when im a prepaid member all i get is ... we do no give money for shipping problems .. if you would like to quit your membership go into my account and hit cancel membership... The rest of your membership will be forfeited ..

and love how your talking about how its not good business When in fact your screwing over the company by BUYING mulit memberships at a price that should never be offered... Then again in a few weeks or a month when Gamefly goes in BY HAND (what they can) and cancells all of the memberships and credits you back the money you paid , you will be Bitc..ing about how the company Fu..k you over

Thanks OP! Just worked seamlessly for me. For those of us who have weighed the value of the service and decided to be long-term subscribers, this is just found money.

[quote name='slidecage']well when the OFFER was right it was

5% off 3 months
10% off 6 months
15% off 9 months
and
20% off 12 months

SO i jumped on the 12 month...

I was a member for a few years before doing the 1 year membership... when i was month to month i was getting 2 to 3 day back and forth .. since i been on the membership Its been 5 to 7 days each way..

When i went into to complain they even told me GO ahead and leave you wont get any of your membership back... when i was month to month i would be given credit if a shipment took over a week to get to me

Say i drop off a game DEC 1 if i didnt have a new game shipped out by DEC 9 i would get an email saying something like sorry lost a week we have given you 3 to 5 bucks credit to make up for it

Now when im a prepaid member all i get is ... we do no give money for shipping problems .. if you would like to quit your membership go into my account and hit cancel membership... The rest of your membership will be forfeited ..

and love how your talking about how its not good business When in fact your screwing over the company by BUYING mulit memberships at a price that should never be offered... Then again in a few weeks or a month when Gamefly goes in BY HAND (what they can) and cancells all of the memberships and credits you back the money you paid , you will be Bitc..ing about how the company Fu..k you over[/QUOTE]

What's not good business..? What are you talking about? And why the hell would I bitch if they do that (which they most likely won't)? It's not like they are canceling the membership and keeping the money..they are giving me the money back.

I don't know why you are taking this so seriously, you obviously have some beef with the company. And I've been a member for month to month for quite a while before this deal, and I've never gotten a turnaround time of 2-3 days. So either you live close to a Gamefly center or you were putting unpopular games in your queue. Either way, it usually takes 5 days for me, but I'm happy because if I didn't have Gamefly I'd be playing one game a month instead of a few for the same price.

[quote name='cheaphuck']If you choose send to email will they send a code or is it tied to the email?[/QUOTE]

It will be in the e-mail sent to the e-mail address that you chose..

[quote name='sandman8288']Do you work for Gamefly? Because for some reason you seem to have a problem with anyone criticizing them in this thread...you may be trying to defend the deal you posted, but you're coming off as a douchebag. I also don't like people insinuating that I'm lying, I have nothing to gain by doing so.

To continue the story, a few years later, I actually contacted Gamefly because I wanted to try it again because they opened a few new distribution centers since I last had them, and I hoped their service had improved. They told me if I ever found the game from 3 years previously that was "lost in the mail", they would restore my service, and I replied that I would like this situation elevated to a Supervisor, who told me that the games were found shortly after my account was closed, and the issue should have been taken off my account 2 1/2 years ago.

Anyways, after trying them again, their service is still extremely slow, but I've had no issues with them losing games. On the two out plan, I only ended up with 6 games in a month, which is not worth the price with when I can rent from Redbox and actually get the stuff I want, and not stuff from the bottom of the que.[/QUOTE]

I dislike people who believe that their personal experience is the epitome of objectivity. Some of you who post about how you got screwed by Gamefly come off that way.

I like the service and have gotten great use out of it, but I don't believe that everyone's experience will be as smooth as mine. I've been trying to be helpful to those who had questions, but I apologize if I came off as a doucher (no sacrcasm.)

bread's done
Back