Game of Thrones - Available for Pre-Order - March 6th, 2012

yeesh that's pricey. I preordered blu-ray, but I probably won't go through with the order unless it drops a bit more

Hate to tell you this, it's been available for pre-order for months. ;) Early July, since that's when it hit my Gold Box.

And I doubt it'll drop much because it's a popular HBO series. Won't be cheaper than what you're seeing on Amazon for multiple months after release.

[quote name='shrike4242']Hate to tell you this, it's been available for pre-order for months. ;) Early July, since that's when it hit my Gold Box.

And I doubt it'll drop much because it's a popular HBO series. Won't be cheaper than what you're seeing on Amazon for multiple months after release.[/QUOTE]

Amazon just e-mailed me about it yesterday! jerks.

Well either way I didn't see a post about it so lets hope that price drops!

[quote name='sangredekrazy']Amazon just e-mailed me about it yesterday! jerks.

Well either way I didn't see a post about it so lets hope that price drops![/QUOTE]It wasn't dated until the last few days, though it was available for pre-order. Same for Boardwalk Empire Season 1.

The price will drop, but probably only on the first day or 2 of release. They seem to always match Best Buy or other retailers who have sales on popular shows the first week. They did for Dexter and True Blood at least.

I bet you that this will be available next year for black friday at a good price. I might just wait until then to be honest. I have already watched it and I can wait to see it again.

Yeah, HBO shows don't tend to get great sales. Everyonce in a while Best Buy or other places have them 50% off around the holidays. But it's half off MSRP so still usually pretty high (would be $40 for this set).

I preordered as I really want to see them as I love the books but don't get HBO--only saw the pilot and a couple episodes after it at a friends so I don't mind paying a bit more to get them at launch.

can someone please describe this show to me without heaping vast amounts of praise on it? all i ever hear is how great and amazing this show is but never why

meh no wonder people pirate. by the time it comes out on blu ray it's nearly a year old and it's $55 for a season you can burn through very quickly. i just used bittorrent and watched them all in 720p on my ps3. seriously game of thrones is only like 12 episodes hbos arrogance will be the death of them

[quote name='el swordo']meh no wonder people pirate. by the time it comes out on blu ray it's nearly a year old and it's $55 for a season you can burn through very quickly. i just used bittorrent and watched them all in 720p on my ps3. seriously game of thrones is only like 12 episodes hbos arrogance will be the death of them[/QUOTE]
Eh, it's like the most expensive TV show ever made. HBO needs to make some of that money back if we want to get the additional seasons. I intend on paying for it at the best deal I can. But as a fan I'll support it rather then be a leech.

My biggest complaint though is how long it took for them to get it to disc. Honestly, it's just lazy not to have it on shelves before Christmas.

[quote name='masterchief2291']can someone please describe this show to me without heaping vast amounts of praise on it? all i ever hear is how great and amazing this show is but never why[/QUOTE]
I've never seen it myself. But it's based on one of the best fantasy book series of all time. It's like LotR for adults only.

If you want to appreciate it, read this: http://www.amazon.com/Game-Thrones-Song-Fire-Book/dp/0553381687/ref=tmm_pap_title_0

[quote name='el swordo']meh no wonder people pirate. by the time it comes out on blu ray it's nearly a year old and it's $55 for a season you can burn through very quickly. i just used bittorrent and watched them all in 720p on my ps3. seriously game of thrones is only like 12 episodes hbos arrogance will be the death of them[/QUOTE]

Seriously? And people wonder why shows like Carnivale and Rome aren't extended. Why bother paying for anything? Hell, screw the movie theaters. Lets just watch pirated movies. That way I don't have to pay $8 for a ticket. Oh, while we're at it, that song I like? I think I'm going to say screw the artist who wrote it and who's selling t-shirts and performing at shitty bars to try to raise money to put out another album. I'm entitled. People pirate because they have no morals.

Lets not forget that the estimated budget for Game of Thrones was between $55 to $60 million for the first season. Do you honestly think that HBO is paying for that strictly by subscribers?

[quote name='masterchief2291']can someone please describe this show to me without heaping vast amounts of praise on it? all i ever hear is how great and amazing this show is but never why[/QUOTE]

It's an epic fantasy series with an ensemble cast. Each character is interesting and well written. The series has enough twists and turns to keep you guessing, and in some instances, will make you grieve. The plot is intriguing, and will keep you glued to the pages. Martin writes in a very accessible way. The show is about as accurate an adaptation as you can get (baring a few scenes). Each actor plays his / her part incredibly way, especially that of Peter Dinklage. It's a gripping book series turned into a gripping television series.

The HBO BR releases might be pricey but they are worth it. The quality is always top notch and if you have a decent TV or sound system it is an incredible experience. I'd imagine even more so with the uncompressed audio on a high end surround system. And unlike the Showtime season sets they usually include extras as well.

[quote name='Havokscry']Seriously? And people wonder why shows like Carnivale and Rome aren't extended. Why bother paying for anything? Hell, screw the movie theaters. Lets just watch pirated movies. That way I don't have to pay $8 for a ticket. Oh, while we're at it, that song I like? I think I'm going to say screw the artist who wrote it and who's selling t-shirts and performing at shitty bars to try to raise money to put out another album. I'm entitled. People pirate because they have no morals.

Lets not forget that the estimated budget for Game of Thrones was between $55 to $60 million for the first season. Do you honestly think that HBO is paying for that strictly by subscribers?[/QUOTE]

Agreed. That series in particular is worth 100% of $50. Pirating is for douchebags. "If you can't afford it, steal it" is some seriously shitty logic and ends up getting good shows cancelled. HBO makes some of the best original programming on TV. They're worth every penny.

Just like the other guy said; it's Lord of The Rings but for adults only. Lots of violence, including beheadings and tons of female nudity, including full frontal nudity.

Storywise it's awesome, I only watched the first 7 or 9 episodes but stopped because I was pirating them and I figured the show is so good I'd rather buy it and have the makers take my money, yep, it's that good.

[quote name='Havokscry']Seriously? And people wonder why shows like Carnivale and Rome aren't extended. Why bother paying for anything? Hell, screw the movie theaters. Lets just watch pirated movies. That way I don't have to pay $8 for a ticket. Oh, while we're at it, that song I like? I think I'm going to say screw the artist who wrote it and who's selling t-shirts and performing at shitty bars to try to raise money to put out another album. I'm entitled. People pirate because they have no morals.

Lets not forget that the estimated budget for Game of Thrones was between $55 to $60 million for the first season. Do you honestly think that HBO is paying for that strictly by subscribers?[/QUOTE]
meh i only watch 2 or 3 channels on cable yet i'm paying for all of them just so i can watch sports and comedy central. not gonna get ripped off even more just for one show. I paid $20 each season for Breaking Bad on dvd what makes HBO think they can price their shows 3 times as much and wait so long to release them on dvd? Just saying they should release their stuff earlier and price it better. I would buy this if it wasn't a ripoff IMO

[quote name='shrike4242']Hate to tell you this, it's been available for pre-order for months. ;) Early July, since that's when it hit my Gold Box.

And I doubt it'll drop much because it's a popular HBO series. Won't be cheaper than what you're seeing on Amazon for multiple months after release.[/QUOTE]

Indeed. I have the full season 1 (i.e. book 1 A Game of Thrones) via an official HBO screener in SD (I'm close to quite a few people at HBO's LA offices at the Yahoo center in SaMo), and will definitely upgrade to a blu copy. But like Shrike said, this will not drop any time soon - probably will only be discounted outside of release week during holiday HBO sales like Best Buy seems to do annually. Easily one of the top candidates for best show on TV IMHO. The books are fantastic too, and the show is about as close to the original material as I've seen in any media.

"Agreed. That series in particular is worth 100% of $50. Pirating is for douchebags. "If you can't afford it, steal it" is some seriously shitty logic and ends up getting good shows cancelled. HBO makes some of the best original programming on TV. They're worth every penny."

Agreed 100%. I went out and tracked down first prints of each of the books as well as bought an extra set of 1-4 paperback after watching the first few episodes. If any of you have HBO subscriptions and are curious about the show, you can see the episodes online on HBO's site. It's just brilliant work, brilliantly executed and acted.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wah wah. Get a job, hippy.

[quote name='el swordo']meh i only watch 2 or 3 channels on cable yet i'm paying for all of them just so i can watch sports and comedy central. not gonna get ripped off even more just for one show. I paid $20 each season for Breaking Bad on dvd what makes HBO think they can price their shows 3 times as much and wait so long to release them on dvd? Just saying they should release their stuff earlier and price it better. I would buy this if it wasn't a ripoff IMO[/QUOTE]You wouldn't buy it. You're happy to pirate it.

[quote name='shrike4242']You wouldn't buy it. You're happy to pirate it.[/QUOTE]

Exactly.

Just never an excuse for piracy IMO. If you're too cheap to buy something, at least Netflix it if you want to watch it. Still morally better than acquiring an illegal copy, despite not really giving money to the creators.

I love the books, and from the few episodes I saw the show is a fantastic adaptation. I'll happily preorder to get it at launch and support the show to increase the odds that they keep the show going and cover all the books.

The books are excellent although I have not yet read book 5 and have heard mixed reviews. One friend said "it feels like he is pulling a Robert Jordan."

I only got to see a few episodes before canceling my HBO subscription so I've already pre-ordered it and will just have to rack up some Amazon gift cards from swagbucks to help pay for it!

Like with other popularish HBO series (Rome) it will be a big bundle and go on an Amazon lightning deal/DoTD sale for much cheaper per episode. I'd wait.

[quote name='Blumpkin']Eh, it's like the most expensive TV show ever made. HBO needs to make some of that money back if we want to get the additional seasons. I intend on paying for it at the best deal I can. But as a fan I'll support it rather then be a leech.

My biggest complaint though is how long it took for them to get it to disc. Honestly, it's just lazy not to have it on shelves before Christmas.[/QUOTE]

Putting the season out closer to when season 2 airs is smarter imo. The show stirred up a lot of interest, and when it releases people will buy it, love it, and I'm sure HBO will see a good amount of people subscribe to the service.

I finished A Dance with Dragons (book#5). The book is a lot better, trust me (err, almost always the case). The show is great I'm sure, but I don't think it can capture the depth of the books. The first four books was $15 from Amazon two weeks ago (paperback collection), pretty damn good. I might order this, the pacakge looks cool!

[quote name='Serpentor']I finished A Dance with Dragons (book#5). The book is a lot better, trust me (err, almost always the case). The show is great I'm sure, but I don't think it can capture the depth of the books. The first four books was $15 from Amazon two weeks ago (paperback collection), pretty damn good. I might order this, the pacakge looks cool![/QUOTE]

It's a great show.

one of the best shows of ever already after 1 season

if they keep it up, it could be right up there with Lost, The Sopranos, BSG, etc if given a chance to go on long enough

I can see myself re-watching this series enough times to justify the premium price

Amazon just knocked a few dollars off the pre-order price, making it $52.99. Not enough to get me to cancel my Best Buy release day pick-up though.

53 bucks is way too much. That's 5 bucks an episode. A bit too rich for my blood right now. When it's 35 or under I will bite.

Besides, I'm still reading the book so I'm holding off on the show for now.

This was on TV here a while back, but on Saturday nights at 10 when I was busy. Not to mention stabbings get blurred out so eh...

I tend to buy HBO shows without ever seeing them (Sopranos, Wire, Oz) so I will probably do the same with this.

FYI if you order from Best Buy you get a free "Stark" keychain with your pre order.

gameofthroneskeychain.png

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?type=category&id=pcmcat262800050008#storeInventoryLink

oh so its either direwolf or dragon? i thought it was wolf on the front and dragon on the back. a little disappointing but my decision is easy (direwolf!)

By far the best show on cable. The show is pretty close to the book. I thought each actor did a fantastic job with their roles. I am going to re-read A Clash of Kings before season 2 airs so I can refresh my memory. It is just too bad that GRRM takes so fucking long writing the books. 6 years for ADWD. At least I only have about 3/4 of a year to read the final book of A Wheel of Time.

I liked the books and show so much I got a Stark tattoo on my wrist.

StarkTattoo.jpg

Lol overpriced much. For 50 bucks I could buy the whole deadwood series.

I'll wait for this to dorp to $20 or under. Anyhting over $30 is a rip off. I mean even the top shows of our time like mad men and breaking bad go for $10 now.

[quote name='masterchief2291']oh so its either direwolf or dragon? i thought it was wolf on the front and dragon on the back. a little disappointing but my decision is easy (direwolf!)[/QUOTE]

I'm kind of torn. I love dragons as per the username, but Viserys Targaryen is such an asshole so far in the book.

HBO always has their stuff priced higher than the others but I really cant blame them...they have the best quality shows IMO. After reading the book and watching this first season...I think this is one of the best shows I have ever seen. They followed the book so closely it was crazy and that made me enjoy it that much more.

[quote name='Capocci 007']Lol overpriced much. For 50 bucks I could buy the whole deadwood series.

I'll wait for this to dorp to $20 or under. Anyhting over $30 is a rip off. I mean even the top shows of our time like mad men and breaking bad go for $10 now.[/QUOTE]

The show is too popular for it to be less than $30.

Damnit, now I need to call Best Buy CS to get the keychain added to my pre-order. I'm a huge fan of the books but have never seen the show because I don't have HBO. I'm burning thru the books again before reading the newest one. It's crazy how much I've forgotten, but it has been like six years since reading the first four books.

BTW thebob, that's some hardcore dedication.

And for all the folks that say that it's too expensive, remeber that this is the most expensive tv series ever. I love Mad Men too, but comparing the cost of it with Game of Thrones is just crazy.

Already preordered this for my wife for her birthday and got the keychain. For those that don't have it, it's actually pretty great. It's much bigger and weightier than I thought it would be. Since Best Buy's website lists $54.99 for the Blu as being "on sale," chances are that's going to be the final price. It's still cheaper than getting HBO for a year just to watch this show.

[quote name='Capocci 007']Lol overpriced much. For 50 bucks I could buy the whole deadwood series.

I'll wait for this to dorp to $20 or under. Anyhting over $30 is a rip off. I mean even the top shows of our time like mad men and breaking bad go for $10 now.[/QUOTE]

Trust me, this isn't overpriced. If you want to see what overpriced looks like then go look at the Doctor Who blu-ray sets, or most BBC sets really. As for your second point, you're comparing series that have been out longer than a year to something that hasn't been released yet. The most recent release of the series you listed was season three of Breaking Bad, which was released in June of last year, hasn't dropped below $20. I can say with some certainty that none of those were sold during release week for $10 though.

I cancelled my Amazon pre-order and went with Best Buy, the keychain and Stark Direwolf packaging sealed that deal for me. I am hoping we'll see a sale price similar to Boardwalk Empire once we get closer to the release.

Wow, exclusive packaging and a keychain? Must have! I don't watch any TV normally (I don't pay for any TV subscription at all), but I did download these episodes to watch since I'm a fan of the books, and this will be the first TV series I ever buy...

Now I just need to find someone to trade me Best Buy credit for my $50 Amazon GC so I can preorder it.

Edit: I'm a noob to preordering anywhere other than Amazon, so forgive stupidity here. If I pay off this preorder with GCs and it was to drop in price (does BB ever drop preorder prices?) as the above poster hopes, how would they calculate the difference and how would I get it back?

[quote name='AkariK']Wow, exclusive packaging and a keychain? Must have! I don't watch any TV normally (I don't pay for any TV subscription at all), but I did download these episodes to watch since I'm a fan of the books, and this will be the first TV series I ever buy...

Now I just need to find someone to trade me Best Buy credit for my $50 Amazon GC so I can preorder it.

Edit: I'm a noob to preordering anywhere other than Amazon, so forgive stupidity here. If I pay off this preorder with GCs and it was to drop in price (does BB ever drop preorder prices?) as the above poster hopes, how would they calculate the difference and how would I get it back?[/QUOTE]

I don't think you can pay it off early, just the 5 dollars to preorder it. I don't think they even have a full price sku in the system yet to pay it off even if you wanted to.

bread's done
Back