Fred Meyer's doesn't consider PSN cards as "accessories"? (but 360/Wii cards count)

NuclearPorkchop

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
This was @ the Beaverton, OR store, by Highway 217:

I was out christmas shopping at Fred Meyer's today, and remembered I had coupons for "10% off any game accessories". Figured I should pick up a $20 PSN card or two while I was there, but found out that apparently the PSN+ & $20/$50 cards do NOT count towards this.

Now, I've actually used similar coupons in the past just fine from them, with the discount applied no problem on PSN cards. That said, during checkout the clerk informed me the cards did not count as accessories, even before I pulled out the coupon. I was a bit miffed, and tried to explain to him how that was ludicrous considering the Xbox & Wii cards count, as well as that I had (not more than 3 months prior) used a different 10 or 15% off coupon for another PSN card. I didn't press the issue much further after he said "that's interesting...." to nearly everything I said. Ended up just getting the cards w/o discount anyways, but needless to say it was disappointing.

Also of note: The PSN cards themselves had been moved from the gaming section to an endcap somewhere, and there were zero PSN+ subscription cards at all in the store.

IDK if this is a new policy or and old issue for some, but I just thought I'd give everyone in the NW a heads up.

I always thought that the coupons applied to the cards in clamshell packaging since that is considered an accessory, but didn't apply to the ones activated at the register because those are "gift cards."

I also wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that they have currency associated with them, meaning rather than Bill Gates Bucks, or WiiCash, a PSN card is a $20 PSN card.

[quote name='berzirk']I also wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that they have currency associated with them, meaning rather than Bill Gates Bucks, or WiiCash, a PSN card is a $20 PSN card.[/QUOTE]

I think you're on to something there..

[quote name='kulaguy']I always thought that the coupons applied to the cards in clamshell packaging since that is considered an accessory, but didn't apply to the ones activated at the register because those are "gift cards."[/QUOTE]

I've never seen PSN cards in clamshell packaging ever (like how the MS points cards used to be). Anyhow, guess I won't be buying such things there anymore.

bread's done
Back