Free Copies of Shogun II: TW, Frozen Synapse, Minecraft, Hacker Duality...

vulcarweb

CAGiversary!
Feedback
11 (100%)
EDIT PART TWO:
The winners have been decided! Thank you all for submitting! There were a lot of funny jokes and ideas in here and it was really hard to determine who got what.
The Winners Are As Follows:

Minecraft: thegnarstar
Shogun II: Jackpot06
Frozen Synapse: Link2999
Hacker Evolution: JonathanS
Nyxquest: Dataless

Congratulations to the winners! I will email everyone soon!
-V

EDIT: Added NyxQuest

for art.
So, I was recently tried to sell all the above games for a few bucks each, but no one gave anything.
So, considering the holidays I will be "selling" these games for something other than money. In other words, this is a contest! Each of these games have a different criteria to win, and you don't need to apply for all. I will be personally be selecting the winners in a week from today. (Dec. 16, 2011)

So, without further ado, here is the contest.

For one (1) copy of Shogun II: Total War (Steam Key):
One of the great things about video games is the feelings that they capture, which other mediums do not. War games, for instance, capture a sense of power and might which I generally do not experience. The other popular way of capturing feelings is through poetry. So, in order to win this copy of Shogun II, write (at least) a 6-line poem of any style or format!

For one (1) copy of Frozen Synapse (Steam Gift):
Frozen Synapse is hard. It's difficult in a way that confounds my soul, and hurts my heart. I'm awful at strategy games like it's math homework. But visually the game is quite great! It's like a retro-face party. With this in mind, take a picture of something that is difficult. (Screen grabs from a game are acceptable)

For one (1) copy of Minecraft (Gift Code):
Minecraft is all about creating something new and interesting. Combining two blueberries and a splinter and you get a hat. Combine three pairs of socks, and you get three lost socks. Considering that Minecraft is about the powers of imagination, draw a picture of something that you plan on making in Minecraft. (You can use MS Paint if you want! In fact, it's kind of encouraged!)

For one (1) copy of Hacker Evolution: Duality (Steam Code):
The History of Hacking goes back to the early days of MIT, when those super-smart kiddos used to play elaborate practical jokes on the administration. Tell me a story about the greatest practical joke you ever pulled.

For one (1) copy of Nyxquest (Steam Gift):
Nyxquest is an awkward Wii-port of a game that allows you to use magical powers to fight giants eye balls. If you were a game designer or movie producer, what would the ultimate final boss be for you (you can use words or pictures.)

For all of these, humor is appreciated. You may also leave the answer in the forum below or PM if you're too shy to post it. Just write the name of the game you're applying to before you submit a response. All winners will be announced in one week. Plagiarism is not accepted.

Best of luck,

-VW

Last edited by a moderator:
I would love to win Minecraft. I would create the Aperture Science Handheld Portal Device

Here is my Pic:
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

portalgun.png

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

I would want Shogun II: Total War :) Here's my poetic skill:
A dilemma lies on my shoulders,
Yet only one believes my capability.
The innocent don't realize the affair,
Yet they blindly support the possibility.
But because I know the truth,
I make dreams reality.

I want Frozen Synapse. This is my braid game global statistics screenshot. You can see This badge percent is %0.5 in global. I earned this badge by playing too much. I think This was really hardcore.

This is my poem.

I am me
You are you
He is he
She is she
Why can't we all be
Free?

The best prank I ever pulled was by an accident. We were going to go pick up my Dad when I had to go to the bathroom. There was a cup so I pissed in it. When my Dad got in the car he thought it was lemonade and.......yeah.

THIS GAME IS HARD!!!!!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

For Minecraft i would make this exact picture....with the closest colors possible and send it to you when I am done.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Frozen Synapse - Tell me this game ain't hard...(Silver Surfer NES)
gfs_39773_3_1.jpg

Minecraft - I'm attempt to do a triforce shaped island.
untitled.jpg

Nyxquest - Here's a boss with a little humor.
img-thing.jpg

Minecraft- here is my picture, key note, you said to be humorous lol. This is Cartman along with Clyde frog I would build monuments of them both.
cartmany.jpg
cartmany.jpg

Wow, this is a really fantastic contest idea. Hopefully I remember to enter it, but even if I can't write a poem in time I just wanted to thank you vulcarweb for coming up with something so neat.

For Minecraft-
2mc7qlw.png

So earlier this year I drew this. It is one of my favorite drawings I have done. I threw it into photoshop after scanning the drawing onto my computer and pixelized it to see what it looked like. And then I thought of Minecraft. I have seen people put incredible amounts of hard work into art in Minecraft, and I've always wanted to take up the challenge of converting my detailed drawing into tons of pixels from scratch. Oh, and it's MINECRAFT! One of the most creative games out there! I'd love to win, and thanks for the opportunity and setting up such a neat contest. I know my entry isn't very humorous but I still think it's a worthy entry.

And to avoid plagiarism, here is a link to my art page on Facebook. Feel free to check out my other work and like the page if you want to see more.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bronson-Art/214388025286859

My poem for Shogun II (enjoy!):

I have spread
the lice
that were under
the poor man's toe

and which
you were probably
stealing
for Santa

Forgive me
they were magnificent
so fast
and so happy

(with apologies to William Carlos Williams)

cool contest, OP. Here are my entrances:

1) Frozen Synapse

Battledoads
]
16466-550x-Battletoads%20-%20Level%203-2.jpg

or

Finals Study Guide vs. Skyrim
McaO9.jpg

2) Hacker Evolution: Duality

Not exactly a joke, but surely funny and practical :)

When I was a kid, my parents, to prevent me from spending all day long on the computer, set up a password on BIOS, so I could use it only when they allowed me to. Since I had certain programming skills learned in school, in my spare time I wrote a program that simulates BIOS interface, and when the password is entered, it stores the pass in the text file in a hidden folder, meanwhile showing pseudo XP loading screen.
One day, when I was given my computer time, I asked my parents to enter the password "again" because computer crashed and started rebooting. With nothing in their mind, they entered it, and when the computer has shown booting logo of Windows XP, they've already left my room. With the password in my hands, I felt like the smartest person ever :D

I really need minecraft. Ok so here is my deal. I borrowed a friends minecraft account so I can play on a private server a bunch of my friends are on. I cant use that account anymore cause he sold that account. I built this Halo Covenant cruiser while I had that account and now the world that ship was on was corrupted. My friends have a new server now and since Minecraft is out of beta, I dont think the world will get corrupted again. I really want to remake this and make it better this time.

here is the video of what I made
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtVrF2zaXN0

It would mean so much to me to get the game again

This is for Shogun 2. By the way, thanks for doing this. This is a really creative contest.
This is a poem on the power of our ability to choose how we live our lives:

A Choice

As I glance out the window,
A gentle breeze blows away some of the dry leaves on the ground.
The wind makes me wish that my worries could be so easily blown away too,
Like so many dead dead leaves caught in the Wind's arms.

I begin to think about happier times,
And my carefree past unfurls before my mind's eye,
Like a flag caught in the wind.
Those days of childhood and freedom,
Days of fun and play,
Days that I did not fully appreciate,
But now, can comprehend.
But those days are long gone; are only distant memories,
Buried deep beneath the dead leaves of my worries.

As I look out the window,
I glimpse a road.
A road to the future, my future.
The twisted path is dark and forbidding,
And the unknown lurks around every shadowed bend.
Will the road bring me to ruin?
Will the road take me to joy?
I cannot tell, and I do not wish to know.

As I gaze out the window,
I see a tiny shoot growing through a crack in the road,
A young sprout.
It is surrounded by leaves, dead leaves,
Which choke the plant, and try to stunt its growth.
But still, it fights on.

I am like the sprout, caught in today,
Surrounded by dead leaves trying to kill me.
If only I can grow through the litter,
I can move on to better things.

Today is the only day I have,
But what will I do with it?
Will I chose to live in the fantasy of the past,
In all its comfort and joy?
Or will I live in hope and dread of the future,
With the unknown waiting for me?
Will I be always fearing of today, never living?
Will I let the leaves of my fear and worry choke me?

But I have another choice:
I can choose to fight through today.
Like a plant who grows past the dead leaves,
Only to find that what once hindered him now gives him strength,
I can defeat my fears and let them strengthen me too.
I can treasure the memories the past has to offer,
I can boldly tread the road to the future,
And I can fight my way through today.

Today is the only day I have,
But what will I choose?

This poem is not funny, kind of serious actually. Sorry. But then again I did not feel so happy when I wrote this... :)
For Hacker Evolution: Duality:
This was one that I pulled off at boarding school. :) Great place for practical jokes if you dont get caught...;)
During our short break at Study Hall, we used to get hot coffee as a refreshment. The coffee was horrible, so their wasn't much to lose by "wasting" it for this joke.
I walked over to one of my friends, and asked him if I could show him something. I told him to stick his 2 index fingers together on the edge of the table, and then I would show him something cool. Well, he did it. But instead of showing him something cool, I pulled this one off: I grabbed my hot cup of coffee (in a metal cup, no clue why the school did that) and quickly balanced it on his fingers. Now, he was stuck. Either wait until someone came along and relieved his burning fingers (not very likely) or separate them and spill it all over his work and sweater. :) You guess what he did. :) He separated his fingers. He ended up spilling some all over his work, and lots on his sweater. :) The smoothest prank I ever pulled off, and the most fun. Just sit and watch him grimacing some, listen to him make various wild threats, and run like heck when he gets the cup off. :) Good fun

For Nyxquest:
I would make a boss that is a cross between Lavos from Chrono Trigger, Metroid Prime from Metroid Prime, and Ganon from the Zelda series. He would have multiple forms and different strengths in each form like Lavos, take different attacks to affect him like Metroid, which would change every so often, and would be as scary and awesome as Ganon. He would use a combo of both powerful physical and magical attacks, and keep inflicting random status ailments. He would look more humanoid, than Lavos or Metroid, but could change to looking like a monster in some of his forms. His humanoid form would brandish a huge sword, and some nice looking armor. The monster froms would not have weapons or armor, other than its own body.

For Shogun II; thought this would be a nice fit since the game revolves around the Sengoku era samurai:

Amidst the blossoms of the sakura trees,
My grizzled crimson banner flows abreast,
Embossed proudly are the words Fu-Rin-Ka-Zan,
The Wind, The Forest, The Fire, and the Mountain

Indeed, we shall be all of that and more,
For no, mere footmen these are not,
As aye, these are my men,
The proud warriors of the mount!

Steadfast and brave,
Loyal and diligent,
As our battle steeds careen their way through the mist,
My eyes meet the powerful enemy in the horizon

Indeed, it may be that the odds are heavy,
We might all perish this fateful morn,
But this life that we are in is but a mere flicker,
So why shall we fear that which cannot harm us?

And it is true they call me the Tiger of Kai,
But nay, I say, you are missing but one point,
It is not just I who is adorned with these stripes,
Tigers of Kai we all are today!

The Tigers of Kai

Well for Shogun: Total War the obvious format is Haiku, the game's Japanese, the style's Japanese, the only problem is the six lines. I'll be cheating a bit with a haiku-trio which is just some westerny adaptation, three stanzas of haiku comprised of nine total lines (I'll cheat more and do 12). Might, Power, Traditional, Feudal Japan, here goes....

Peasant

Placid water stirred
Gentle wake of naked toes
Harvesting his rice

Samurai

Hoof on gravel trail
An Ō-Yoroi Reflection
Atop the paddy

Daimyo

Beneath Pagoda
Mirrored fields, dirt grid paths
tasks gallop away

Shogun

Black pluming muskets
Far off banners topple like trees
They've stirred the water

For Hacker Evolution: Duality- Let's see, Senior year of college, while a roommate was sleeping we used duct tape to create a second wall infront of his door and filled the gap with mostly newspapers and water balloons so that when he opened his door they'd all come crashing in. Behind the duct tape we taped up boxes around the door to keep it steady and duct taped that to make it harder to get out. So happy I didn't have to clean that up :p

Across the meadows the armies meander,
Towards each other they begin to plod.
One soldier rides on a panda.
Was that DLC? Or a mod?

Our men look across at the enemy,
With sharpened blades ready for attack.
Bob whispers quietly to Jeremy:
"Why did we buy the blood pack?"

The walking turns into jogging;
The front-line soldiers start their sprints.
"Increase performance by enabling fogging"
Suggests one of the in-game hints.

The soldiers begin their final dash,
Drawing swords to prepare a bloody mess.
They meet in a tumultuous clash.
Fatal exception: illegal memory address...

For Shogun II.

Here goes something completely, sorry I am no good at writing funny poems. I would be shocked if this resonates with anyone besides myself, but it was nice to have an excuse to write about this. Cheers!

the bread is green, the milk is sour
the grass is grey, the trees don't flower
unassuming dread rules this empty place
hopelessly lost even with a map to trace

this fate is full of empty promise
even target impossible to miss
neglect flaunts its deadly touch
excuses not fit to form a crutch

stead fast in my sleepless denial
carry on with this half cocked smile
aiming just not to forget what I forgot
won't even finish this unk-

Oh and this is for Shogun obviously.

Total War Shogun 2:

his feeble grin drips like a blood-streak down his chin
Yet words cannot be spoken
On and on the samurai journeys
oft swept by wave of emotion, tortured and taken

Prank:

So I have 2 stories.

1) Back in high school, we used to chill at my buddy's house all the time. Across the street was some scumbag guy that would cheat on his wife with the neighbor. One day, we were all hanging out during winter, and sure enough, she left for work, and 15 minutes later the neighbor came over. All of a sudden, I got a brilliant idea. We all waited until about an 3 hours before his wife was due to come home. 6 of us went over there and built a 6ft tall, 4ft wide wall of snow blocking the front and back door that we covered with water and let freeze. About 20 minutes before she was due home, we heard "WHAT THE HELL IS THIS?! YOU'VE GOT TO BE SHITTING ME!!!!!" And we watched in hilarity as they tried desperately to chip away at it with random things. Sadly, the neighbor ended up climbing out the window 2 minutes before the wife arrived. But it was a valiant effort.

2) We had an Ugly Sweater party and a Secret Santa party one night. I ended up getting paired with the girl I was dating at the time, so I got her this pink bikini she really wanted. Well later that night, after drinking, my best friend laughing put it on over his clothes. Some one ended up taking a picture and sent it to me. Several months later I was living with my best friend and we were a few months in a prank war. So, I elaborately planned to get him good. I took the picture and edited out the clothing so it was just the bikini and ordered it as a cardboard cutout. When it came, I set it up in the front of the house while he was at work. I then dug a small 4ft deep by 5ft wide pit in front of it filled with water and covered it with some squares of fake grass/turf. He ended up falling in when going to get the cardboard cut out :D

What a great idea OP, I am actually eager to see which of these contestants won what. Good luck everyone who took part in this, I am rooting for all of you!

bread's done
Back