339 (100%)
logo-001.jpg

Offical Site: Click Here

First Trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dP0XsM23j0

Wiki Page:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tales_of_Graces#Tales_of_Graces_F

Announcements/News:
http://playstationlifestyle.net/201...f-to-embrace-western-gamers-on-march-13-2012/

http://www.neoseeker.com/news/17964-tales-of-gracesf-set-for-march-2012-release-in-north-america/

I can't wait for this. For me being a bigger Tales fan than ME fan, it trumps ME3 which hits the week before. fucking Bamco and choosing crap release dates. :bomb:

I still have my 2 copies on pre-order from the Amazon price mistake. $39.99 each :D

What team's making this one? The Symphonia/Vesperia one or one of the shitty ones? Xillia is being made by the Sympheria team right? Or..? :whistle2:k

[quote name='Vinny']What team's making this one? The Symphonia/Vesperia one or one of the shitty ones? Xillia is being made by the Sympheria team right? Or..? :whistle2:k[/QUOTE]

Team Destiny is at the helm of this one.

March 13?! Does Namco want this series to die? Only decent release date they've done is Vesperia on the Tuesday after Labor Day. I know they put Abyss out right around FF XII, not sure on the other ones.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='MSUHitman']March 13?! Does Namco want this series to die? Only decent release date they've done is Vesperia on the Tuesday after Labor Day.[/QUOTE]

Yeah really, a week after ME3?

I know not everyone likes JRPGs, but to release this game a week after one of if not THE most anticipated titles of 2012 is just dumb.

Perfect release date for me. Gives me a month and change to grind out FFXIII-2.

[quote name='MSUHitman']March 13?! Does Namco want this series to die? Only decent release date they've done is Vesperia on the Tuesday after Labor Day. I know they put Abyss out right around FF XII, not sure on the other ones.[/QUOTE]

I think both for the most part cater to a different audience. The original rumored release date was a week after FFXIII-2. That would not have been a good choice. If they had chosen April, that would have been directly in competition with Xenoblade.

I do want this to do well. I just got the Xillia PS3 bundle and after playing an hour or so of Xillia... :drool: That game had better come here.

Last Story is out in Europe right before this.... So I might not get this at launch. :lol: Also, I'm sick of Scamco's shenanigans anyway.

Edit: Apparently this game is out the same day as Yakuza Dead Souls. LOL Guess I'll be waiting for a price drop on this one!

[quote name='ZxT Vendetta']
I still have my 2 copies on pre-order from the Amazon price mistake. $39.99 each :D[/QUOTE]

Damn I could've sworn I preordered it when it was $39.99 too but I don't see it in my Amazon orders, that sucks >

[quote name='Paco']is this game going to still have saturday morning level storylines?[/QUOTE]

This is the main reason why I'm wary of this game. Look at the fucking trailer in the OP dude.

I have this preordered on Amazon because I'm starving for multiplayer JRPGs and I got a measly $3 Gold Box discount. Then I noticed people on the product page discussing that GameStop has exclusive pre-order bonus costumes and XMB theme. A poster says that those can't be purchased later. As a cheap-ass, I wouldn't purchase function-less costumes or themes anyway, but since I have to pay sales tax whether I buy from Amazon or GameStop, I'm wondering if the DLC is worth the ~$4 difference. That's also assuming Amazon doesn't drop the preorder price (unlikely given it's a niche title, but possible). Anyone else have this preordered from GS or Amazon?

Can't wait, only a few more days now & I can finally touch a brand new Tales of games that's fully in english :) Oh & BUMP, people need to know about this game so we can more over here darn it!

I ordered one from Newegg and may finally have to open up ps3 soon :D

Also preordered a copy at GS from a friend. The guy told me they already received the game and got about 20 copies. Not sure if that's typical or not.

Yup, when I saw the NewEgg deal I canceled my Amazon preorder and preordered from there. Looking forward to it!

My Amazon pre-order shipped already and will be here tomorrow. Glad I got in the early $40 Amazon pre-order way back when. After Mass Effect 3, this should get me out of that "Wow, I can't believe I just played that shit." lull after that games ending.

Went and picked up my gamestop copy today to get the bonus. Have 2 ordered from the $40 amazon price mistake. So one of those is going back with my GS receipt. :D

Going to start in a bit :D

Mine is sitting on the porch waiting for me to leave work in 5 minutes or so. I'll probably start shortly after starting food and post some impressions before I go to bed.

[quote name='Draekon']Mine is sitting on the porch waiting for me to leave work in 5 minutes or so. I'll probably start shortly after starting food and post some impressions before I go to bed.[/QUOTE]

It -was- on your porch.

Ooh, pretty...

[quote name='elessar123']It -was- on your porch.

Ooh, pretty...[/QUOTE]

My street has this old (french) couple who like to get up in the entire neighborhoods business. They sit at their windows with binoculars and watch everything. They'll also call the cops on anything suspicious (door-to-door people rarely make it as far as my house). On top of that my cousin is a cop who patrols the local area (at night though). ;)

EDIT: Looks like the game installs the moment you boot into it.

Really wish I could play this. I am a huge Team Destiny fan, having completed Tales of Destiny 2 (PS2), Tales of Rebirth, and Tales of Hearts.

Booo! Bamco couldn't be troubled to give us a JP voice option??? NISA always does it with their games and lord knows the blu-ray has the space for it.

Guess I should just be happy we got the game at all, but still... Guess I'll have to play with TV on "mute"

[quote name='ZxT Vendetta']Went and picked up my gamestop copy today to get the bonus. Have 2 ordered from the $40 amazon price mistake. So one of those is going back with my GS receipt. :D

Going to start in a bit :D[/QUOTE]

What's the secret to GS returns with dlc on the receipt ;)

[quote name='Nogib']Booo! Bamco couldn't be troubled to give us a JP voice option??? NISA always does it with their games and lord knows the blu-ray has the space for it.

Guess I should just be happy we got the game at all, but still... Guess I'll have to play with TV on "mute"[/QUOTE]

That's not good. Haven't played a Tales game since ToS. Are all English only?

Got a copy from GameStop for the DLC, I probably won't get around to playing it for a while but due to what the prices of the DLC are selling for already online I'm happy I picked a copy up!

This intro is annoying and all kinds of shit. I can't wait until the minor spoiler
time shift to the main part of the game, this kiddie shit blows.
Hopefully the game will get a lot better after this part.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']This intro is annoying and all kinds of shit. I can't wait until the minor spoiler
Hopefully the game will get a lot better after this part.[/QUOTE]

That's hurting my interest in the game. The whole Frienship rules! feeling I get from it.

I hope that isn't a main part of the story.

It's the main theme of the game, apparently.

I'm going to be shelving this for a while after tonight, as Yakuza is a much higher priority for me. Then I'll come back to this. Not much has happened yet so there's really nothing to forget about.

Sounds like I don't need to be in a rush to play this then.

I'll watch a Saturday morning cartoon if I need to be reminded of the greatness of friendship.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']It's the main theme of the game, apparently.

I'm going to be shelving this for a while after tonight, as Yakuza is a much higher priority for me. Then I'll come back to this. Not much has happened yet so there's really nothing to forget about.[/QUOTE]

Choice made lol I figured the intro was horrible but yea... :cry: going to frequently check Ebay to see how much the GS code goes for. I wanted Xillia more than this one so I hope with the sales they decide to release it in the states.

I've put in about three hours or so.

Graphics are slightly worse than Vesperia, but not it doesn't look bad at all. Gameplay is quite a bit different than other Tales games and more is added hours into the game. There is plenty of collector stuff and seemingly a good deal of crafting. Voice acting isn't terrible, but it's not great either. Like other Tales games, you're stuck with English voice overs.

I have no real opinion on the game either way yet, however the new battle system is taking some getting used to. There's a lot more dodging/blocking required now and artes are entirely different.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']This intro is annoying and all kinds of shit. I can't wait until the minor spoiler
Hopefully the game will get a lot better after this part.[/QUOTE]

Just to give you a rough idea:
It takes 3 hours to get to that point.

[quote name='whoknows']That's hurting my interest in the game. The whole Frienship rules! feeling I get from it.[/QUOTE]

I hate this about some JRPGs, written for puppy dog eyed 12 year olds. But I'm able to deal as long as the story is bearable and I don't have the urge to murder more than half the cast.

Reminds me of Abyss, hated the first several hours, but it later turned into one of my favorite in the series.

[quote name='whoknows']Sounds like I don't need to be in a rush to play this then.

I'll watch a Saturday morning cartoon if I need to be reminded of the greatness of friendship.[/QUOTE]

It scares me how much you like My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic.

I found pork in a coat closet, and stole lettuce and bread from a lady. I'm going to apply this to real life.

Is it me, or is every character a dime short of a dollar? (Very minor spoiler)
The main character didn't know the kid was the prince? Wasn't he fucking told?

The dub is almost intolerable. The dad's voice acting is soooooo bad.

I put in another hour this morning before work and the way the battle system works is weird. I've only really played as the main character so I can't comment on other party members, but I believe it's similar.

Each character has two styles of attacks, assault and burst. Both sets of attacks consume CC, which is based on your characters weapons and some other aspects such as earning CC bonuses through the 50 or so titles that each character can equip and then level up to 5 Star. For the assault attacks, you don't seem to actually set any skills up like the old Tales of games and through various attack combos (Up + X -> X -> Right + X) you can perform various combos that lead to artes like Tempest Strike, among others that are performed in succession. burst attacks are a bit more like older Tales of game attacks where you can equip artes and use them in a standard fashion. However they of course use CC much like assault attacks and switching between assault and burst isn't always the way to go.

There seem to be enemies that make use of "nova" that shields them from assault attacks entirely until you use burst attacks of the game (I think it was?) element and bring down the shield. Then assault attacks begin working again. Though burst attacks do more damage, they may not be the best to setup longer combos with your party.

About CC, your weapons will say something like 5-8 CC. What this means is you will start the battle with 5 CC and can unlock up to 8 in that battle by performing well timed blocks, dodging, attacking, etc. I'm not entirely sure what causes these to specifically happen but they have a brief tutorial window that covers it. You gain CC back in battle by not attacking. You lose CC by dodging/attacking/running around manually when holding R2 (and once out, you slow down). There are also bonuses in the middle of battle that can instantly restore 8 CC and allow you to continue attacking that I've seen, however I don't know the exact triggers.

There's a lot more stuff in this game than Vesperia and it seems they're handling the side quests far better. Of course I haven't made it far enough to really say much about the side quests, which are catalogued in the book menu (which you can toggle to once opened). There are also Requests that vendors take from local residents for item gathering. These gain you SP, which help level up the assload of titles you obtain and give you some gald as well.

The crafting system is called dualization, where you combine two items you've found in the field or bought. This is also used for cooking and seemingly can only be done at Merchants. Most of the stuff I've been able to craft so far have been vendor fodder that is meant to be sold to merchants to obtain gald. I know there's some weapon crafting and this could be part of it, I'm not sure. A friend of mine beat the game and said the crafting was pretty nice and he's usually pretty stingy about things like crafting. However I've forsaken him from telling me anything on the game.

There's also another thing that I just recently acquired that I'm not entirely sure what it does. It has three slots and uses some kind of material that I can't remember the name of. It seems to allow you to put items in and they have a chance at being duplicated after an hour based on a percent. I'm not sure if this uses real time or in-game time (I'm assuming in-game because I got a few apple gel back pretty quickly). [This is called an Eleth Mixer. Read the in-game user's guide on it. It's very important.]

Oh and there's also an arena you can use save files to attempt from the main menu before you load a save. It will award you items for winning that transfer into your saved game which is pretty cool.

I'm a bit positive on the way things are progressing now and after a certain point shit seems to get serious for a bit and I'm still in the middle of a large transition in the story. At least if the story is a bit typical, there seems to be plenty of gameplay to be had that will be thoroughly enjoyed from the looks of things.

EDIT: Fixed improper names/terms.

[quote name='elessar123']I found pork in a coat closet, and stole lettuce and bread from a lady. I'm going to apply this to real life.

Is it me, or is every character a dime short of a dollar? (Very minor spoiler)
The main character didn't know the kid was the prince? Wasn't he fucking told?

The dub is almost intolerable. The dad's voice acting is soooooo bad.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, the pork in a closet made me go "Wat wat?". It makes no sense, but I can't complain much since just about every other game does it.

About that part
all he was told was that he was from a very high end prestigious family. Never directly told that it was going to be the prince himself. JRPG logic dictates that this is almost always royalty however

Dub is decent to me, but then again I had to grow up with my sister who had one of the most annoying voices I have ever encountered and had to live with it for a very long time. It's probably made me more tolerant than most. Though their emotion is off like every other JRPG in existence more or less.

[quote name='Draekon']About that part
all he was told was that he was from a very high end prestigious family. Never directly told that it was going to be the prince himself. JRPG logic dictates that this is almost always royalty however
[/QUOTE]

I could have sworn they said he was a member of the royal family, or son of the king, or something. I forgot what.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']The battle system is way too complicated for me at this point.[/QUOTE]

It definitely takes some getting used to. Then like 3-4 hours in, they throw in even more by adding in the beta skill set/attacks. Definitely going to screw over people who did a lot of button mashing in previous Tales of games because this one doesn't go by those rules anymore.

EDIT: Ok, that Eleth Mixer that I didn't know the name of before does a fuck ton more than I thought it did (the thing you put 3 items into). Reading the excerpt from the user's guide in-game explains a hell of a lot.

EDIT 2: I was calling Assault Artes "Alpha" and Burst Artes "Beta" in the post above. Guess I'm used to the old arte naming style. Also used CP instead of CC.

bread's done
Back