PlayStation 3D Display Bundle - $299.99 at Best Buy

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Mana Knight

CAGiversary!
Feedback
41 (100%)
I considered buying the PlayStation 3D Display for $500 + $100 PS3 last week, but I wasn't desperate for another PS3. While randomly checking Best Buy online this morning, I saw it at $399.99. I bought on impulse. I checked in-store and it's on sale there too, even if it wasn't advertised (I didn't spot it in the ad).

EDIT: Now it's $299.99 at Best Buy

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Sony+Co...d=2891051&st=playstation 3d display&cp=1&lp=1

Amazon is still $399.00, but I expect a price drop.
http://www.amazon.com/PlayStation-3..._1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1323720517&sr=1-1

I'm betting it's a weekly sale.

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess that would be cool for a college dorm room or something but I can't game on anything less than a 32" screen.

It's a great price but that 24 inches is kinda disappointing. I wish Sony offered different levels of models like a 24, maybe a 32, and so on.

I bought this back when they had the ps3 for $100 and went in today and got $100 back. It worked out great for me since the ps3 sold for $243.00 on eBay plus motorstorm sold for $41.00. So, $500 for the 3d bundle and ps3 minus the $284 I got for extras (less fees).

I guess, if i was gonna get a new pc to run games on in 3D, and needed a decent monitor/tv that i could also connect my ps3 to, i could get one of these. The downside is it has only 2 hdmi plugs, so connecting a 360 to it as well would require component or a switcher.

Still too small for my normal gaming habits, but was a cool tv to see on display at best buy.

[quote name='mvpcrossxover']Really? Since when?

3D, 1080p, 240Hz.
Find me a tv with that specs under 450.[/QUOTE]

To me, none of that matters. It's 24"...stupid small. Waste of money at almost any price.

[quote name='JaylisJayP']To me, none of that matters. It's 24"...stupid small. Waste of money at almost any price.[/QUOTE]

If you're not interested in the 3d, yeah it's a waste, but it's a decent price for the specs. They really should market this as a monitor since that's what it really is.

[quote name='JaylisJayP']To me, none of that matters. It's 24"...stupid small. Waste of money at almost any price.[/QUOTE]It's a smaller size because if they made a large size, it would be expensive. This is attended to be a display for someone who just wants a small TV for their room w/ 3D capabilities. I also like this because I can move it around and take it with me on trips.
[quote name='Link2999']Same price at Newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16879261314[/QUOTE]It's sold out though.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']It's a smaller size because if they made a large size, it would be expensive. This is attended to be a display for someone who just wants a small TV for their room w/ 3D capabilities. I also like this because I can move it around and take it with me on trips.
It's sold out though.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I get who it's for...I'm just saying for me it's a waste. 24" is really small...even for a monitor it's too small.

I completely concur with this. $399 for a 24" TV (3D or not) is just unimaginable for gaming, especially for someone who is currently gaming on a 65" Panasonic plasma TV.

[quote name='jetthead']I guess that would be cool for a college dorm room or something but I can't game on anything less than a 32" screen.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='JaylisJayP']Yeah, I get who it's for...I'm just saying for me it's a waste. 24" is really small...even for a monitor it's too small.[/QUOTE]

Geez man, what size monitor do you have now? I think 24" is more then big enough, I mean, you're sitting less then a foot away from it.

[quote name='Investor']I completely concur with this. $399 for a 24" TV (3D or not) is just unimaginable for gaming, especially for someone who is currently gaming on a 65" Panasonic plasma TV.[/QUOTE]

Yeah but that awesome huge TV costs how much? Not to mention the space requirements, electric costs, convincing your significant other to let you have one, etc. etc.

Anything that won't fit on top of a desk is logistically, politically, and financially not practical for many people.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']It's a great price but that 24 inches is kinda disappointing. I wish Sony offered different levels of models like a 24, maybe a 32, and so on.[/QUOTE]
I think the reason it's a small screen is because 24" offers the optimum DPI for a 1920x1080 display. Any bigger and you start to see jaggies because the pixels are so damn big.

See this.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']It's a great price but that 24 inches is kinda disappointing. I wish Sony offered different levels of models like a 24, maybe a 32, and so on.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. One of my four computer monitors is bigger than that even. 24 inches in this day and age seems so small.

[quote name='JaylisJayP']Yeah, I get who it's for...I'm just saying for me it's a waste. 24" is really small...even for a monitor it's too small.[/QUOTE]

i don't know what everyone is running for pc monitors, but 23-24'' seems to be the standard for computer monitors nowadays. if you are talking about a tv, then yes 24'' to 32'' is too small imo. (funny that 27'' use to be standard for tvs, now i would say if you were to buy a tv 40'' should be the minimum unless its for a kitchen or something). this is more of a monitor than a tv since it has no tuner, but i think sony marketed it as a tv because if they say it is a monitor, not many people would buy it since people consider monitors are for computers.

there are still some people buying 19-22'' monitors to run triple displays on their pc. if you search newegg, there are about 100 23'-24' monitors available compared to the 30 or so 19-22'' and 27-30' monitors. For 3d capable monitors with 120-240hz, you are looking at around 500-600 for a 23'' 3d monitor and 650-700 for a 27'' 3d monitor.

also, not that i would buy this sony monitor, but it offers pretty good value for its features at $400 and it's about 100 less than a comparable name brand 3d monitor that is 23'' from samsung. i'm looking for triple display 27 or 30'' 3d monitors to run high resolutions on my pc rig with sli gtx 580 3gb cards.

Last edited by a moderator:
wow. Between the move firesales and this 3D TV price bomba, sony really isn't having a great holiday for their 3D/Move push.

This display has been 399 at frys and newegg for several days now, there was even another thread about it. At bestbuy, if you were planning on getting a ps3, it was acutally a better deal last weak. This seems like a permanent price drop.

The display does not have a tv tuner built in me doesn't come with a remote. I saw it at best buy today and it is pretty cool.

These suckers are selling like sand in the Sahara. My store has a ton of these and look for it to be clearanced out for half price after Christmas.

So it's a 3-D HDtv that's not a true TV in reality. So you're paying $400 for a monitor that can do 3-D.:roll:

Someone must be passing out the spiked Kool-Aid at Sony HQ again, just like they were in 2006 when they released the PS3 at 100% above MSRP of their prior gen's consoles original MSRP and lost a good chunk of their fanbase to MS in the process.

At $200 I may bite on one to use as a tv in my room with the Comcast external tuner box I gotta use anymore. But at $400 this is just laughable.

Just bough a 42in LED for less, but I would bite if this goes on clearance. Has anyone seen these at Target? 75% would be nice. lol

Why is no one mentioning the fact that it has SimulView? And its LED. I mean the Simulview alone makes it worth it..

Never play split-screen two player mode again. Specially enhanced for gaming, SimulView™* technology delivers two different full HD screen images from a single display, putting players deeper in the game.

[quote name='maaddmax']Why is no one mentioning the fact that it has SimulView? And its LED. I mean the Simulview alone makes it worth it..[/QUOTE]

Probably because most people who would play video games with other people locally have a tv larger than 24 inches. This seems more like a really nice monitor or office/bedroom tv. As a monitor In a smaller room you probably won't be doing a ton of gaming with another person. With the huge exception of a dorm room, where this display would be pretty awesome. I played around with the simul view today at best buy and it worked surprisingly well. I would buy it for my office at 300 bucks by itself or 500 with a ps3 bundled in.

You can also easily do "SimuView" on a passive 3D TV, it does involve moding the glasses where both lenses are for the same eye. So one pair will have 2 Left lenses, and the other will have 2 Right lenses...

[quote name='frpilot']i don't know what everyone is running for pc monitors, but 23-24'' seems to be the standard for computer monitors nowadays. if you are talking about a tv, then yes 24'' to 32'' is too small imo. (funny that 27'' use to be standard for tvs, now i would say if you were to buy a tv 40'' should be the minimum unless its for a kitchen or something). this is more of a monitor than a tv since it has no tuner, but i think sony marketed it as a tv because if they say it is a monitor, not many people would buy it since people consider monitors are for computers.

there are still some people buying 19-22'' monitors to run triple displays on their pc. if you search newegg, there are about 100 23'-24' monitors available compared to the 30 or so 19-22'' and 27-30' monitors. For 3d capable monitors with 120-240hz, you are looking at around 500-600 for a 23'' 3d monitor and 650-700 for a 27'' 3d monitor.

also, not that i would buy this sony monitor, but it offers pretty good value for its features at $400 and it's about 100 less than a comparable name brand 3d monitor that is 23'' from samsung. i'm looking for triple display 27 or 30'' 3d monitors to run high resolutions on my pc rig with sli gtx 580 3gb cards.[/QUOTE]

My monitor is 26" and I wish it were bigger. Then again, I'd never sit in front of it for hours and game..nevermind in 3D. I have a 58" 3DTV and a recliner for that.

[quote name='maaddmax']Why is no one mentioning the fact that it has SimulView? And its LED. I mean the Simulview alone makes it worth it..[/QUOTE]

Are you really going to have a friend sit right next to you on another computer chair 2 or 3 feet away from the screen just to utilize this feature?

Don't get me wrong...it's a nice feature...but....sigh...I just cant get over the small size, lol.

(That's what she said.)

[quote name='caltab'] or 500 with a ps3 bundled in.[/QUOTE]

...or BUILT in...now that would make it a little more worth it.

Also if the monitor were bigger. :lol:

[quote name='JaylisJayP']...or BUILT in...now that would make it a little more worth it.

Also if the monitor were bigger. :lol:[/QUOTE]

Before today, Best buy had been selling the monitor with a ps3 as a package deal since black friday for 599, considering the msrp of this thing seems to have dropped 100 bucks, I don't think it's out of the question for it to be 500 fairly soon.

[quote name='jetthead']I guess that would be cool for a college dorm room or something but I can't game on anything less than a 32" screen.[/QUOTE]
This
Give me a 32" version with good remote and tuner for $500 and I'd be game

I actually think this TV is pretty cool. If you're in the market for a new monitor, and want to connect a system or two to it, this would be just perfect. Yeah, it's silly for people with big family rooms and whatnot; but I would have absolutely LOVED having this in my small dorm in college several years ago.

That said, these things aren't selling AT.ALL. Both my local Best Buys have had the same stack of about 20 televisions sitting in the games section since they released. As you can tell from this thread, there is a very small demographic of people interested in this television.

I honestly wouldn't be suprised if - just like overpriced collector's editions, Move bundles, and the 3DS - we see a massive clearance/sell-off on these by February/March. I don't think it'll be super difficult to snag one of these for ~$250 in just a few months.

[quote name='caltab']i would buy it for my office at 300 bucks by itself or 500 with a ps3 bundled in.[/quote]

i bet!!

[quote name='JaylisJayP']To me, none of that matters. It's 24"...stupid small. Waste of money at almost any price.[/QUOTE]

I have a 22" monitor, 40" HDTV, and a 120" projector screen in my game room. That being said, I prefer gaming on the 22" monitor the most.

[quote name='Apostle22']I have a 22" monitor, 40" HDTV, and a 120" projector screen in my game room. That being said, I prefer gaming on the 22" monitor the most.[/QUOTE]

oddly enough, I might agree. I have two 50" plasmas and a 90" projector, but I really enjoyed playing on my 23" monitor when we were moving in to the house. I think it's because you sit so much closer. Maybe I'm getting old :D

That said I think the TV/PJ are tied - bigger screen size is nice but the contrast ratio and black level on the plasma is so nice.

[quote name='Apostle22']I have a 22" monitor, 40" HDTV, and a 120" projector screen in my game room. That being said, I prefer gaming on the 22" monitor the most.[/QUOTE]

I get that. I used to have my PS3 and 360 hooked up to my 26" monitor...but it got old sitting at my desk in my computer chair, and it's a comfortable chair. I guess I'm a recliner gamer at heart.

[quote name='smiggity']Not worth a cent over 200 since has no remote or tuner. Does it come with 2 pairs of glasses??[/QUOTE]

Comes with one, along with Motorstorm.

I have to agree with the folks saying they prefer gaming on the smaller monitor to an extent. I have a 52" 3d TV in the living room for gaming and movies, but I bought this Sony display with a PS3 at Best Buy last week to have in my office and have really enjoyed it. I've been playing COD MW3 on it, and have found my K:D ratio has gone way up as a result. When playing on the big screen TV, I wasn't always seeing opponents coming in from the corners or edges of the tv, and my reaction time was too slow...when playing on the 24" monitor, I can take in the whole screen at once much better and it has really improved my game.
Of course the flip side of that is: for games like Skyrim where I don't need to have quick reaction times, I prefer sitting in the recliner in front of the big screen with the good surround sound system.

I saw someone posted earlier in the thread that they managed to get $100 back from best buy after buying it last week with the ps3 bundle, so I'll take my receipt in today and see if I have any luck with that. Wasn't sure they'd honor that price drop with it being in a bundle...

IMO Sony should just sell the display for $300 without anything extra (no HDMI, no game, no glasses). That way one can get a goo display for a reasonable price (for a Sony product) and add glasses and games as they see fit and want to enjoy those features...

[quote name='jetthead']I guess that would be cool for a college dorm room or something but I can't game on anything less than a 32" screen.[/QUOTE]I can, but that's because I am less than 4 feet away from my gaming TV, and I cannot really fit any bigger than that, regardless.

With that being said, the 3D element does not really interest me.

[quote name='JaylisJayP']I get that. I used to have my PS3 and 360 hooked up to my 26" monitor...but it got old sitting at my desk in my computer chair, and it's a comfortable chair. I guess I'm a recliner gamer at heart.[/QUOTE]That's the same reason why I did not really start going heavy on streaming video until it was available on the PS3, and later, I got Roku LT for the bedroom. It's just more relaxing to lay on the bed, versus sitting on a computer chair, even a good one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back