"Wallet Balance Update" email from PSN -- anyone else get this? Potential phishing?

MICHAE2414

CAGiversary!
Anyone receive an email from PlayStation Network saying that there are PSN wallet funds yet to be used? The email was brief and here's the text:

Dear ___________,

This is just a friendly reminder that you have funds in your PSN wallet that have not been used for six months or more.

To view your account balance, please sign-in to account management by clicking here. (link removed)

Your funds can be used for games, add-ons, movies, music and more, available in PlayStation®Store. (link removed)

I clicked through and logged in to see my wallet balance on Sony's website, but after closing it, I was a little suspicious about the origin of the email. Took a quick peek at my other PSN emails and the boilerplate text at the bottom was a little different, so I did a search and found a couple other threads (here and here) of people calling it a potential phishing scam...but the site the email links to (on sonyentertainmentnetwork.com) is even referenced on PlayStation.com's own support pages (example here) so I don't doubt its legitimacy. I did change my PSN password from my PS3 after reading those threads, though.

Just wanted to give you a heads-up and see if anyone else got this email.

I got it too and immediately deleted it without clicking. I know for a fact I have spent money on PSN in the past 6 months so I knew it was either a mistake or a scam.

It's psn itself if ya click the attachment, well I forgot what that did, but I remember it involved the store lol. Oh and check you e-mail cause you got something in there too. Though no attachment on that one. It's all harmless though.

i'm pretty sure it's legit. i received this and a message on psn regarding unused wallet credit.. i checked and had 77 cents. i've also received this same email/psn message before pre-hack. it happens when you have any money sitting in your wallet unused for awhile, even a penny.

Doesn't really make sense. About a week and a half ago I had an empty wallet, wanted something, and had to add funds. I think I have a few pennies in there, but there can't be older than 10 days.

[quote name='mtxbass1']Sony has come out on Twitter and said it's legit...[/QUOTE]
Can you link to where Sony's said that? All I find on Twitter searches are people spreading the "scam" message.

Found this, too, which links to a growing thread on NeoGAF:

http://www.examiner.com/video-game-news-in-national/sony-warns-playstation-network-users-of-wallet-balance-update-phising-emails

I'm totally confused now.

Strange thing is, there are people receiving it who did not have 6-month-old wallet funds. The email had my PSN ID, too.

The links are legit and if you look up the whois it belongs to Sony. It was probably just a mistake on their part. I have spent about ten bucks or so in the past month and I got the email too.

bread's done
Back