RAAM's Shadow $10 at Gamestop Online only

i was mildy disappointed with this dlc. 2 friends and i were able to finish it in just over 2 hours and the quality is just not on par with the gears 3 campaign. awful writing and cliched characters make for a tough sell at 1200 MSP. but for this price, i suppose its a bit better

I was tempted but I think i'm going to wait for the eventual "GEARS OF WAR DUDE BRO EPIC COG COLLECTION" that is no doubt going to release at some point.

When full downloadable games are 9.99, I don't see how a dlc add-on of 3 hours is worth 9.99-14.99.

Thanks for posting the deal. I still may get peer pressured into getting on with it. I refuse to pay $30 for the season pass when the first of the 4 dlc was entirely worthless.

FYI, this is part of the Gears 3 season pass, which sells for $30 (2400 points). But if you got in on some of the cheap points deals lately (i.e. Ebay/Buy.com 4000 point cards for $35, thus making 2400 points cost $21), it's probably a better deal to just do the season pass than to pick up this DLC, even at $10.

[quote name='BingoBrown']FYI, this is part of the Gears 3 season pass, which sells for $30 (2400 points). But if you got in on some of the cheap points deals lately (i.e. Ebay/Buy.com 4000 point cards for $35, thus making 2400 points cost $21), it's probably a better deal to just do the season pass than to pick up this DLC, even at $10.[/QUOTE]

Yep. Season pass is the better deal for those who want all the DLC content. This deal is perfect for those who only want this portion of it. (Like myself since all I wanted was the single player DLC)

Nevermind - saw a post above me after a refresh. Someone answered my question.

I think after I beat GoW3 I'll just sell it and turn around and buy the GoW:GotY version like I did with number 2.

[quote name='DeathDream']How much is the season pass anyways? Has anyone seen it go on sale at all?[/QUOTE]

I believe the season pass is $30 bucks. I am sure it will eventually go on sale the way All Fronts would periodically. But not for a while.

[quote name='atc250es']Anyone know off hand how many mbs this is to d/l?[/QUOTE]
I believe it was a 2 Gig download when I DL'ed it yesterday.

[quote name='atc250es']Anyone know off hand how many mbs this is to d/l?[/QUOTE]it's 2GB.

And I personally enjoyed it very much. it's exactly what SP DLC should be in my eyes. New Characters, new voice over dialog for said characters, new cutscenes, New Musical scores, ties into the mythos of original story, a new chapter with 5 different "meaty" acts (it pits you against almost all the enemies of Gears in one chapter), you can play as RAAM (or other locust), New Multiplayer skins and Chars.

This actually has production value put into it. Probably the best SP DLC I've played since Alan Wake's The Writer. But I would agree that gameplay wise, it's just more Gears. So if you're tired of that formula, then yea it's more of the same. It took me over 3 hrs to complete but I take my time. I'm gonna run threw again to mop up cheevos and just have co-op fun so I'll probably end up spending 6hrs or so. Worth it. Bravo Epic. :applause:

[quote name='KryllFood']I was tempted but I think i'm going to wait for the eventual "GEARS OF WAR DUDE BRO EPIC COG COLLECTION" that is no doubt going to release at some point.

When full downloadable games are 9.99, I don't see how a dlc add-on of 3 hours is worth 9.99-14.99.

Thanks for posting the deal. I still may get peer pressured into getting on with it. I refuse to pay $30 for the season pass when the first of the 4 dlc was entirely worthless.[/QUOTE]
maybe worthless to some people. I play horde 90% of the time so it was just what I was looking for.

Just so I remember correctly... Didn't all the maps from the first DLC go for free? So what did the first DLC actually provide outside achievements and ability of rockets on the silverback?

[quote name='lordopus99'] So what did the first DLC actually provide outside achievements and ability of rockets on the silverback?[/QUOTE]
Everyone has technical access to the first three maps if they're playing online, either in Horde or in Versus matches, because they are on the disc (and Epic were assholes and intentionally withheld the content to make profit). If you don't have the first DLC, though, you can't host games with those matches. You can only get into them via other people or servers online.

Also, the additional Horde options for fortifications are only available to those with the first DLC. This includes the sentry, decoy, Silverback and the new command center item.

As for this specific DLC, if you didn't enjoy lambent enemies and prefer the older style of Gears of War game play, with emergence holes and city street fighting, with tight indoor fighting, this is probably worth your purchase. Also, the end battle with RAAM is challenging, but much more enjoyable and fair than the one at the end of the Gears of War 3 Campaign.

And, I have to be an asshole and point this out, but to whoever complained about RAAM's Shadow's writing, I agree, but Gears of War 3's story was trash the entire way through.

Don't get this DLC expecting an interesting setup or even fun play with Kim and RAAM. Just get it because you enjoy the classic style of something like Gears of War, with the more improved upon controls of Gears of War 3 (with the option of 4 player cooperative play).

[quote name='masterchief2291']i was mildy disappointed with this dlc. 2 friends and i were able to finish it in just over 2 hours and the quality is just not on par with the gears 3 campaign. awful writing and cliched characters make for a tough sell at 1200 MSP. but for this price, i suppose its a bit better[/QUOTE]

Writing and characters weren't the best, but hell it's Gears of War.

It was pretty fun but pretty short. I especially enjoyed
playing as RAAM.

[quote name='Brother Daz']maybe worthless to some people. I play horde 90% of the time so it was just what I was looking for.[/QUOTE]

I play Horde 90% of the time too...I just thought charging people or counting it as the first DLC of season pass for basically new MP characters and Onyx Guard for horde was of too little value when they released the maps for free.

I'm glad that I bought the season pass, and it was a good value since I'm a Gears fanatic! This d/l was worth the time I had to wait for it, playing as RAAM was EPIC!:applause:

Ebbtide,

I am going to disagree with you re: GoW3 story. If you have read the novels, the story fits perfect within the world that has been expanded there. I found it to be a significant improvement over 1 & 2.

Just my opinion.

$10 for Raams Shadow is a good deal IMO. its going for $15 or 1200 MS points on XBL right now. This is good deal if your not a season pass owner like me and its not often DLC goes on sale or this close to its release.

Its been fun to play with friends so far about 3 out of 5 quests in. Personally feel this DLC is worth 800 points so the price is right on

That's seriously a great find for something this new. $15 is too much for this for me, $10 makes me more comfortable. But, with so much to play right now, I can hold off until this is 600 points on XBL. Great find, tho, OP!

I'm a Gears MP nut but I don't think the story and campaign is very much interesting. Most games when it comes to plot/storyline are pretty lacking in general.

The season pass gives you the liquid metal gun skins too just FYI. I just played online with some dudes that had the rainbow skin guns. You actually have to pay for that one - WTF o_O

[quote name='masterchief2291']i was mildy disappointed with this dlc. 2 friends and i were able to finish it in just over 2 hours and the quality is just not on par with the gears 3 campaign. awful writing and cliched characters make for a tough sell at 1200 MSP. but for this price, i suppose its a bit better[/QUOTE]

Awful writing, cliche characters...you have been playing the gears series right? the whole series is like that, makes up for it by being awesome gory fun lol. I thought it was pretty good actually, went back to the Gears 1 roots which had more "scariness" than gears 2/3 (going through the school freaked me out for some reason). Playing as Raam was fun, also does anyone else feel like the graphics were even better than the normal Gears 3 campaign? Especially the opening scene, the lighting makes it look amazing...anyways they are probably not going to make any more single player dlc but i would definitely would not mind if they did.

Wish I would have waited on the Season Pass and bought this, Epic has gone so far off the deep end in the stupid pool it's not even funny.

Remember back in the day when you used to be able to play MP on the new maps the EXACT day they came out? They also would have a dedicated section of just the new maps too, now it seems they come and go with that option in MP. And then they decide to give the maps away for free to people who didn't shell out the $30 or so for this "pass" further pissing off the early adopters who ponied up for this. Lesson learned, will not buy anymore "passes" from Epic. Hate paying for skins and MP model characters, aka filler. Just give us more damn maps already, jesus.

Thanks OP, will tell some people about this.

bread's done
Back