Best Buy-Playstation 3D Display-$299.99 incl. glasses, HDMI, Motorstorm Apocalypse

Wow...I think I may pull the trigger on this. Though at this point no one can rule out this getting down to $200...

I know; the new open box one I scored on BF weekend from Warehouse Deals for $367.xx is not looking so hot now. But I did have a ton of Amazon credit to burn, so I'm not going to get too worked up.

Was thinking about picking one up for a computer monitor...I have a 55" 3D tv for my PS3/Blu-Ray/360...how is this? I'd probably sell Motorstorm

[quote name='sgaldis']I know; the new open box one I scored on BF weekend from Warehouse Deals for $367.xx is not looking so hot now. But I did have a ton of Amazon credit to burn, so I'm not going to get too worked up.[/QUOTE]

The question is what if Amazon matches it for a brand new display?

Thing is tanking pretty badly.

I love Sony, but sometimes I feel bad for them.
They come out with great products, but alot never sell well. Not without reason though

I still say if they included a remote (the PS3 remote) and a larger size. These would sell well. Give me a 32" option and I would most likely buy it for the right price.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='kinney_bmx']Thing is taking pretty badly.

I love Sony, but sometimes I feel bad for them.
They come out with great products, but alot never sell well. Not without reason though

I still say if they included a remote (the PS3 remote) and a larger size. These would sell well. Give me a 32" option and I would most likely buy it for the right price.[/QUOTE]

I saw a ton of them at Bestbuy Store today.

What's killing it I think (at least for me) is that the display lacks a TV Tuner. I have space in my room for a TV, not a TV and a "Game Display"...I don't have my own cable box either, so that's out for now.

It's a bit superfluous, and I think people are thinking twice about the space/financial implications of its purchase.

[quote name='foreinter']The question is what if Amazon matches it for a brand new display?[/QUOTE]

Then I either return the sucker for a new one, or see if I can get a CSR to just give me a nice credit so neither party has to deal with the hassle of a return.

[quote name='reddjoey']Don't forget the Reward Zone Coupon that will give you a $25 Gift Card[/QUOTE]
Got a link somewhere? Didn't see anything posted about a coupon.

If this was 3" bigger I would bite. As it is, I can't see paying more than 200 for it. The idea is really nice, but they priced themselves out of the market by marking up the price too high and not delivering a big enough display.

Maybe a dumb question, but if I hook a 360 up to this will I be able to view 3D compatible games in 3D? Or is this just good for PS3 3D games?

[quote name='Sonne']What's killing it I think (at least for me) is that the display lacks a TV Tuner. I have space in my room for a TV, not a TV and a "Game Display"...I don't have my own cable box either, so that's out for now.

It's a bit superfluous, and I think people are thinking twice about the space/financial implications of its purchase.[/QUOTE]

Not to defend this screen but really, how many people are running a coax from the wall to a high end hd 3d display and not using a tuner box?

[quote name='foreinter']Can I use this coupon online since I also want to use the Discover Card 10% cashback program?[/QUOTE]

Nope
"Not valid on any BestBuy.com order, including store pickup. "

God damn. I've got $50 in Best Buy credit and could use my brother's credit card to get 10% back, I've been wanting a new TV, and my TV cabinet can't fit a 32", but I think my DirecTV box only has a composite cable.

fuck

[quote name='MrBeatdown']God damn. I've got $50 in Best Buy credit and could use my brother's credit card to get 10% back, I've been wanting a new TV, and my TV cabinet can't fit a 32", but I think my DirecTV box only has a composite cable.

fuck[/QUOTE]

Go to a direcTV store and get a box with hdmi?

Grabbed one, thanks for the update! I'm going for a 55-60" next year hopefully and only using a shitty 32" sanyo right now, so while this is a tad smaller, the specs are so much better, and I plan to use this as a spare TV or maybe even a monitor when I do upgrade! Also, the fact we get a $25 GC and $5 in reward zone is awesome.

I just have a feeling these will be 200-250 in the very near future. I checked in-store inventory and the closest 8-10 stores all have this in stock. It hasn't exactly been a big seller.

[quote name='MrBeatdown']God damn. I've got $50 in Best Buy credit and could use my brother's credit card to get 10% back, I've been wanting a new TV, and my TV cabinet can't fit a 32", but I think my DirecTV box only has a composite cable.

fuck[/QUOTE]

If it isn't an HD box, it only does composite and S-Video.

With a PS Vita pre-order and Star Wars XBOX 360 pre-order my wallet is locked down. At $299 though it has me considering it.

[quote name='MIX_MASTER_ICE']Maybe a dumb question, but if I hook a 360 up to this will I be able to view 3D compatible games in 3D? Or is this just good for PS3 3D games?[/QUOTE]

I bought this monitor from GameStop on launch day (I had it preordered so I got Resistance 3 and Uncharted 3 for free). Still, $299.99 seems so much better than 499.99 but what can you do.

I too feel bad since it is a really good product, it just isn't selling well. The picture looks stunning and although some might say its small, its pretty a pretty ideal size for individual gaming. I use it as a dual monitor for my PC and my main monitor when playing FPS games like Modern Warfare 3 (I feel I do a lot better on a smaller monitor rather than my 42" LG when playing multiplayer games).

As for playing 3D, I can confirm the 3D works well with the Xbox 360. I've played Enslaved, Gears of War 3, and Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary on it. I have yet to hook up my ps3 since I am waiting for my new one to ship (HDMI broke on my original 60 GB fatty). As long as you have an HDMI cable that supports 3D (the bundle includes one), this monitor will work with either ps3 or 360.

this was the price I was waiting for, so I bought it. D.Choy, ive read alot of people saying the dispay occasionally goes black for a few seconds, has that happened to you?

[quote name='Lions'] Also, the fact we get a $25 GC and $5 in reward zone is awesome.[/QUOTE]

What 25 gc? Isnt the reward zone one in store only and excludes sale prices?

this was the price I was waiting for, so I bought it. D.Choy, ive read alot of people saying the dispay occasionally goes black for a few seconds, has that happened to you?

[quote name='caltab']What 25 gc? Isnt the reward zone one in store only and excludes sale prices?
[/QUOTE]

I don't see a sale price exclusion.

[quote name='iwannadie']Not to defend this screen but really, how many people are running a coax from the wall to a high end hd 3d display and not using a tuner box?[/QUOTE]
I'm running the coax from my wall to my non 3-D HDtv I bought on BF cuz I don't wanna pay $20 for an amplified antenna to get the local channels. It picked up about 38 channels w/o a need for a cable box when I tried it the other night.

But I may just unplug the cable again and use this tv ONLY for gaming as I originally intended to.

Too bad Best Buy doesn't match bundle/rebate offers or you could try and get them to match the current FYE $100 rebate deal they have going with this display. Although FYE has it still priced at $499.99.:roll:

[quote name='reddjoey']I don't see a sale price exclusion.[/QUOTE]

"Not valid with any other coupons or offers." Would a sale price not be included in offers? I dont know for sure, I just remember best buy coupons being pretty limited with sales items.

[quote name='gepet0']Premier silver members only and it is lightly greyed. Thats what I'm talking about with best buy. Fine print. LOL[/QUOTE]

ya, but even if you are a premier silver I am note sure if this would be considered a special offer because of the price and excluded.

[quote name='caltab']"Not valid with any other coupons or offers." Would a sale price not be included in offers? I dont know for sure, I just remember best buy coupons being pretty limited with sales items.[/QUOTE]

I'd roll the dice with that. I recall BB listing items not being valid on sale prices with language similar to "not valid on sale prices". However, I'm not going to say I couldn't be wrong.

Edit:

[quote name='gepet0']Premier silver members only and it is lightly greyed. Thats what I'm talking about with best buy. Fine print. LOL[/QUOTE]

I've never had problems using Silver Coupons when I wasn't silver.

[quote name='iwannadie']Not to defend this screen but really, how many people are running a coax from the wall to a high end hd 3d display and not using a tuner box?[/QUOTE]

I don't have a high end 3D device but I have a couple of nice HDTVs in the house. I only ever use coax - I get whatever HD I get for free with basic cable (my local chanels only). I don't believe in paying too much in monthly fees for HD stuff. The HD is mostly for gaming anyway - I don't mind watching normal TV via analog cable ;).

BUT, I am tempted to get this as my son has been bugging me to get a 3D TV for ages. We already have 2 perfectly fine HDTVs (one downstairs and one upstairs that he games with). Buying a new one and disposing of one of those is out of the question, so maybe this is a good solution. I just wish I hadn't blown my $100 RZ cert on a bunch of crappy clearance stuff last week - it would more likely have justified the purchase of this thing ;).

[quote name='caltab']What 25 gc? Isnt the reward zone one in store only and excludes sale prices?

this was the price I was waiting for, so I bought it. D.Choy, ive read alot of people saying the dispay occasionally goes black for a few seconds, has that happened to you?[/QUOTE]

I've read about issues with some displays having audio that pops, screen going black like you said, defective pixels, and dust under glass. I haven't had audio pop or my screen go black. I have used the sony hdmi cable it comes with, a microsoft hdmi cable, and sony component cables with no issues.

This is my second display though. The first one I got worked flawlessly except it had ~11 white pixels (defective pixels) that never turned off. I decided I didn't want to live life like that so I took it back, haha. The second display has no defective pixels. Just checked right now to make sure. I've probably used it for about ~10 - 20 hrs so far with no problems (Played MW3 multiplayer, beat Alice: Madness Returns, and watched Modern Family; no issues, no black screen, no audio pops).

I heard some issues of dust being under the glass of the screen. My monitor has 2 specs of dust under the glass. One near the middle top and one on the bottom left. I can't notice it while playing games or watching videos unless I lean in really close. Overall, no big issues.

I'm pretty sure you purchase is justified; really fair price. The 3D looks great on this monitor and even if you don't use 3D, the picture is amazing; vibrant colors, lightning, response, etc.

ya, all that I am reading about problematic displays makes me want to buy it from best buy over any one else, even amazon, because they will be the easiest to return to.

[quote name='io']I don't have a high end 3D device but I have a couple of nice HDTVs in the house. I only ever use coax - I get whatever HD I get for free with basic cable (my local chanels only). I don't believe in paying too much in monthly fees for HD stuff. The HD is mostly for gaming anyway - I don't mind watching normal TV via analog cable ;).

[/QUOTE]

Add me to the list that would use coax. I'm not giving Cox cable another $10-$15/mo to watch their limited HD channels on their broken boxes in glorious 720p. Every box I've gotten has static over component and HDMI ports that feel loose and stop working after a few months.

It's just not big enough. If I needed a new monitor, I would get it, but I don't. As stated, if this had been 32" or more, I would have bought it when it came out.

[quote name='reddjoey']I'd roll the dice with that. I recall BB listing items not being valid on sale prices with language similar to "not valid on sale prices". However, I'm not going to say I couldn't be wrong.

Edit:

I've never had problems using Silver Coupons when I wasn't silver.[/QUOTE]

Was your use online or in store? Can the code be used online?

Now this is getting closer to what I think it should be worth. If you can justify the glasses, motorstorm, and hdmi cable being worth $100, then it's only $200 for a good quality 24" 3D display. Now I would just have to convince myself I have a place to put this and would actually use it for gaming instead of my higher quality larger but non-3D TVs.

Any comments from owners about the comfort of the glasses? And can they be worn over glasses? A lot of reviews I've seen say they are too tight.

This is a great price I was tempted at 399.99. I swear these late night deals kill me. I would wait until the morning but I am nervous once the price gets around toss in it is christmas shazam.

Also how can one use it as a pc monitor? Will using it as a monitor harm it?

[quote name='scottman']Now this is getting closer to what I think it should be worth. If you can justify the glasses, motorstorm, and hdmi cable being worth $100, then it's only $200 for a good quality 24" 3D display. Now I would just have to convince myself I have a place to put this and would actually use it for gaming instead of my higher quality larger but non-3D TVs.

Any comments from owners about the comfort of the glasses? And can they be worn over glasses? A lot of reviews I've seen say they are too tight.[/QUOTE]

When I bought my 55" Sony 3D I had to have some 3D glasses that night. I mean I HAD to try out the new 3D. The only place that had any 3D glasses was Gamestop, and it was a pair of these. They are...okay. I bought my gf a pair of the youth glasses for $30 on amazon, they're not rechargeable, but honestly I use those more than I do my rechargeable ones. They say they're for youth,but they fit my head fine and I have a normal dude-sized head. But the ones included aren't bad.And yes I'd say they can be worn over regular glasses.

bread's done
Back