Steam Holiday Sale - Chances for free games for completing achievements!

[quote name='Kilvas09']Seems like Steam is being hit hard. Error 503 and no connection all over the place.[/QUOTE]
Yep, and the inventory systems are down too, so I can't see the free gift I got.

[quote name='tankyroo']Has anyone been able to access their steam inventory yet?[/QUOTE]
Yeah, I got a worthless 33% off a valve game. Here is why it's worthless:

-Can't be used until Jan 2nd (expires March 2nd)
-Valve games are already 50-75% off during the sale
-They claim you can use it on Valve games that are on sale during the time it's valid, but I won't hold my breath on that one.

Also, the gift system isn't working right. You're supposed to get 2 for looking into your inventory, a lot of people only have 1(if they have any) and gifts for completing other achievements are unlocking if they feel like it.

Servers are probably getting hammered so it might take a while for it to all get sorted out.

I just logged on to check my inventory and get my free gift (even if it is a crappy XX% off coupon). My inventory is empty, doesn't even show my Portal 2/TF2 items. WTF valve.

this was rather poorly thought out. make everyone log in and check their steam inventories. crash system. 9 hours later still can't access my steam inventory. :( oh well maybe it'll be fixed tomorrow.

So, I got a 50% off of any Valve item coupon... Sounds good. Looking through their catalog, I see Portal 2 is 7.49 today, and the coupon doesn't say anything about not being valid on sale items, so I think "Portal 2 for 3.75? Sign me up".

Enter into my cart, and can't get the damn coupon to apply.

grrr.

**edit**

Someone (namely myself) needs to learn to read. "(Valid January 2nd, 2012 through March 1st, 2012)"

Seriously, who is going to remember they have a coupon sitting there after the fact? Doesn't help that it has the stipulation "Excludes titles released after January 2nd, 2012."

[quote name='bearhawk72']Yeah, I got a worthless 33% off a valve game. Here is why it's worthless:

-Can't be used until Jan 2nd (expires March 2nd)
-Valve games are already 50-75% off during the sale
-They claim you can use it on Valve games that are on sale during the time it's valid, but I won't hold my breath on that one.

Also, the gift system isn't working right. You're supposed to get 2 for looking into your inventory, a lot of people only have 1(if they have any) and gifts for completing other achievements are unlocking if they feel like it.

Servers are probably getting hammered so it might take a while for it to all get sorted out.[/QUOTE]

Same here. I probably buy Portal 2 with that coupon.

I still can't access my inventory. Hopefully I will be able to tomorrow, I don't want to do any of the achievements until I can access it just in case.

[quote name='tankyroo']I still can't access my inventory. Hopefully I will be able to tomorrow, I don't want to do any of the achievements until I can access it just in case.[/QUOTE]
Yup, the steam's server is just f.. up for a while there are a lot of onlines right now.

[quote name='tankyroo']I still can't access my inventory. Hopefully I will be able to tomorrow, I don't want to do any of the achievements until I can access it just in case.[/QUOTE]

It's weird how this is going, because I kept trying for hours when the sale first started, and I ended up with just a coupon in my inventory (even though you're supposed to get two prizes). A friend of mine tried it and received a coupon and a pack of games immediately. But when my girlfriend tried it after most of the server problems had been fixed, she didn't get anything. She should have 2 gifts, but she has none. And my account still only has 1 item from the first achievement, which is supposed to give you 2. :( The guys at Steam have kind of dropped the ball here. Hopefully it'll be better by Day 2.

I'm finally able to access my inventory, I have two pieces of coal and a 50% off Valve coupon :D

Edit: I got the achievement in 'Orcs Must Die!' but it isn't saying that I completed the objective to get the gift, does it usually take a while?

[quote name='tankyroo']I'm finally able to access my inventory, I have two pieces of coal and a 50% off Valve coupon :D

Edit: I got the achievement in 'Orcs Must Die!' but it isn't saying that I completed the objective to get the gift, does it usually take a while?[/QUOTE]

The Orcs achievement is glitched.

I completed the Spiral Knights achievement and about an hour later I received the "Valve complete Pack 2011" which is every Valve game on steam

I'm actually pretty happy with my 50% off coupon. Not so happy at all the objectives being for games I don't have or can't get on my laptop right now...

[quote name='bearhawk72']I completed the Spiral Knights achievement and about an hour later I received the "Valve complete Pack 2011" which is every Valve game on steam[/QUOTE]
Wow, nice! I hope I get any game before this whole thing is over. Too bad I don't have any of games on today's objective list.

[quote name='tankyroo']Wow, nice! I hope I get any game before this whole thing is over. Too bad I don't have any of games on today's objective list.[/QUOTE]
Oh but you do.

Spiral Knights is free to play.

[quote name='bearhawk72']Oh but you do.

Spiral Knights is free to play.[/QUOTE]
Yeah I already got that achievement. Lump of coal :(

[quote name='tankyroo']If we do the achievements early, will we get credit for them when they become daily objectives?[/QUOTE]
I think so, some are way too easy to get if you are just playing the game normally.

I played TF2 for 5 minutes and got the holiday achievement so it should transfer when it comes up on that days list.

didn't have any of the achievement games for the first time. :( Won the orange box tho for joining the steam group.

So far all I have is 4 pieces of coal and a 50% off valve coupon, which I'm probably going to end up not using because it excludes games that come out after January 2nd, so CS:GO is out of the question.

This is all the crap I have so far.

6 Coal, 50% Off Valve, 50% Off Valve, 33% Off Valve, 33% Off Valve 50% Off Section 8 - Prejudice, 50% Off AudioSurf, 50% Off Mount & Blade - With Fire & Sword, 50% Off Airline Tycoon 2.

Can't wait to craft 7 coal into a crappy coupon.

[quote name='AmyGrrl']This is all the crap I have so far.

6 Coal, 50% Off Valve, 50% Off Valve, 33% Off Valve, 33% Off Valve 50% Off Section 8 - Prejudice, 50% Off AudioSurf, 50% Off Mount & Blade - With Fire & Sword, 50% Off Airline Tycoon 2.

Can't wait to craft 7 coal into a crappy coupon.[/QUOTE]

Haha so true. It's why I'm probably gonna trade my coal at some point

50% off of Audiosurf is pretty solid, damn fun game.

Anyway, I'm definitely gonna have to do the Nuke Santa achievement when I get home.... Hopefully I won't get more coal.

I just did the nuke santa achievement, I got 50% off Red Faction: Armageddon.
I'm now going for the 10 assists in one match of Rise of Immortals. I'm horrible at this style of game, hopefully I can do it.

[quote name='tankyroo']New objectives.

Rise of the Immortals is free, so if you don't have any other games you could do that.[/QUOTE]

gave up. I'll try later. Their servers can't handle the influx of new people. You have to register accounts / receive emails / etc. Just keeps timing out.

[quote name='tankyroo']I just did the nuke santa achievement, I got 50% off Red Faction: Armageddon.
I'm now going for the 10 assists in one match of Rise of Immortals. I'm horrible at this style of game, hopefully I can do it.[/QUOTE]

how hard is the defcon achievement? can i just load up a game and get it solo?

did defcon achievement and rise of immortals achievement. got 2 coal.

defcon crashed like 20 times before i could complete it.

rise of immortals is like Dota\LoL so if you've played either you'll be familiar with the game. You only get assists for killing other players. Literally any damage you do before they die will count as an assist. Tho in a 5v5 that we won everyone on my team had more than 10 assists. The games can last like 40-45 minutes tho.

[quote name='dragon290513']can you share how long it took you man?[/QUOTE]
It didn't take that long, I would say ~20 minutes, It took about half a game. But I've played before, so it might take longer if you've never played.

I've got coupons for 50% off LA Noire, and 33% off Valve complete pack for trade, make offers. Had 7 coal, it crafted the valve coupon.... :( ....I want a game..... :(

[quote name='SnakeEater42']I've got coupons for 50% off LA Noire, and 33% off Valve complete pack for trade, make offers. Had 7 coal, it crafted the valve coupon.... :( ....I want a game..... :([/QUOTE]
Yeah, that's why I'm not sure if I want to craft mine or not once I get enough.

bread's done
Back