ION® iCade Arcade Cabinet for iPad® $49.99 In-Store or Online + $7.99 Shipping

king9x

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
ION® iCade Arcade Cabinet for iPad® at Bed Bath & Beyond.

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=18449218 OUT OF STOCK ONLINE

ION iCade for only $49.99 if you can find it locally, otherwise ship it for $7.99.

This is perfect for those of us who were able to get in on the iMAME4ALL app that sneaked into the App Store over the holidays and 50% off its original price.

If you're lucky enough to find it locally, you can use a junk email to sign up to their list and they will immediately send you a coupon for 20% off any one item in store only:

http://app.bedbathandbeyond.com/prefs/pref.cfm?src=header&

This will make it $39.99, great deal either way.

Good Luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can personally confirm that this thing is awesome. I have a HP Touchpad loaded with android and mame4all. It works perfect with it and I would love to have one for every room in the house. Worth it for $100.

[quote name='slamoco']I can personally confirm that this thing is awesome. I have a HP Touchpad loaded with android and mame4all. It works perfect with it and I would love to have one for every room in the house. Worth it for $100.[/QUOTE]
I'm doing exactly this. How easy is it to map controls? I had a full size arcade cabinet that I had turned into a MAME cab and had to setup each and every game differently. Can you do that with Mame4All on Android?

P.S. Thanks OP for the coupon!

Super Crate Box on iOS will support the iCade, wonder if that extends to this as well? I would buy it just for that, personally. Such a great game..

[quote name='Tiny Gallon']Super Crate Box on iOS will support the iCade, wonder if that extends to this as well? I would buy it just for that, personally. Such a great game..[/QUOTE]

I am not following your question, this is the icade.

I have one of these, I played alot of muffin night(super crate box like game) and league of evil. It works really well, I havent taken it out in a while though, for whatever reason.

Oh man, I'm sorely tempted since there's a Bed Bath & Beyond close by. For those interested there's a list of apps that work with the iCade on their website.

Does it only work in portrait mode? It doesn't seem like it has an elegant solution for landscape orientations which sours me a bit.

[quote name='JohnDM']Oh man, I'm sorely tempted since there's a Bed Bath & Beyond close by. For those interested there's a list of apps that work with the iCade on their website.

Does it only work in portrait mode? It doesn't seem like it has an elegant solution for landscape orientations which sours me a bit.[/QUOTE]

it works in both, there is a notch you can rest the device on just outside the inner part of the cabinet.

[quote name='Finch106']I'm doing exactly this. How easy is it to map controls? I had a full size arcade cabinet that I had turned into a MAME cab and had to setup each and every game differently. Can you do that with Mame4All on Android?

P.S. Thanks OP for the coupon![/QUOTE]

I have yet to mess with the controls to see if it will be global or per game. It really makes me want to get another Touchpad off of eBay just to have a backup. I have also built a full size MAME cabinet but love this one because it's portable and self contained.

[quote name='slamoco']I have yet to mess with the controls to see if it will be global or per game. It really makes me want to get another Touchpad off of eBay just to have a backup. I have also built a full size MAME cabinet but love this one because it's portable and self contained.[/QUOTE]

Very cool. I'll just try it out in a bit.

Just got back from the local BB&B and the iCade was under the Christmas clearance section in front of the store. It is marked as 50% off from $99 and the 20% off coupon from the mailing list signup did in fact work making it $43 and change out the door. (70% off)

[quote name='slamoco']I can personally confirm that this thing is awesome. I have a HP Touchpad loaded with android and mame4all. It works perfect with it and I would love to have one for every room in the house. Worth it for $100.[/QUOTE]

What type of connector does this thing use that the Touchpad can also be used with it?

[quote name='blitz6speed']What type of connector does this thing use that the Touchpad can also be used with it?[/QUOTE]

It connects by Bluetooth. And remember to enter the codes on the Touchpad and the Icade for it to connect to each other. I was frustrated because I was only entering the code on the Touchpad and it would not pair until I forced myself to read instructions, lol.

[quote name='slamoco']It connects by Bluetooth. And remember to enter the codes on the Touchpad and the Icade for it to connect to each other. I was frustrated because I was only entering the code on the Touchpad and it would not pair until I forced myself to read instructions, lol.[/QUOTE]

I had no idea this thing used bluetooth, i thought it was a standard apple connector. I tried this thing out at frys and man the parts felt so cheap, but i guess i could mod it with sanwa parts to make it useable. Semi-interested now.

My 2¢
Pros - build quality is solid, everything lines up, materials are tough, nothing flimsy
Bluetooth connectivity makes connecting automatic
Cons - initial connection and button mapping very frustrating as documentation was vague/limited
Buttons are frigging tight. I play shmups, and the button springs are not very forgiving and makes for a gruelling endurance match and really detracts from the enjoyment of shooters. Don't know about swapping out buttons
On touchpad the emulated games run choppy...to the point that's it was unplayable for me. Got the Asus transformer and games run perfect

For my purpose, which was replicating the arcade experience without spending $$ and space for a mame cab, this solution works very well.

[quote name='sparkoc']
On touchpad the emulated games run choppy...to the point that's it was unplayable for me. Got the Asus transformer and games run perfect

[/QUOTE]

I guess that is YMMV. I have my HP touchpad running CM7 Xron Android Mame4All overclocked to 1.5 and it is flawless.

[quote name='slamoco']I guess that is YMMV. I have my HP touchpad running CM7 Xron Android Mame4All overclocked to 1.5 and it is flawless.[/QUOTE]

good point on the overclocking. seems like such a long time since i modded the touchpad that i forgot all about the overclocking business. I think i'll give it a shot as the transformer is too tall for the icade and the top doesn't come down completely shot. thanks for the info.

[quote name='slamoco']I guess that is YMMV. I have my HP touchpad running CM7 Xron Android Mame4All overclocked to 1.5 and it is flawless.[/QUOTE]

I did that too. It is very cool and made my dream come true (to own an arcade machine cabinet).
However, although the frame rate is stable at 60fps (per on screen fps display) for all the games I tested, it feels like there are some frame dropping and it is not as smooth as on a pc. Maybe it is the problem of the screen refresh rate?
Also, it seems the button layout could not be changed, even though the Mame4droid has the option to change it.

[quote name='minmao']I did that too. It is very cool and made my dream come true (to own an arcade machine cabinet).
However, although the frame rate is stable at 60fps (per on screen fps display) for all the games I tested, it feels like there are some frame dropping and it is not as smooth as on a pc. Maybe it is the problem of the screen refresh rate?
Also, it seems the button layout could not be changed, even though the Mame4droid has the option to change it.[/QUOTE]

I don't notice frame dropping on mine (runs perfect), but I would guess that is YMMV as well depending on what device you use and how your device is set up. I haven't had a chance to check if the mapping of controls would be an issue. I know that the Mame4droid team keeps releasing updates and has included support for the icade so they might help if needed.

[quote name='sparkoc']good point on the overclocking. seems like such a long time since i modded the touchpad that i forgot all about the overclocking business. I think i'll give it a shot as the transformer is too tall for the icade and the top doesn't come down completely shot. thanks for the info.[/QUOTE]

Modding the Touchpad has completely changed how I use it. I really liked WebOs but Android and all of it's apps has made it an everyday tablet for me.

Someone on the regular iOS thread said they had Kohl's price match it, plus he used $40 in Kohls Cash and a 15% off coupon to get for $9.XX. reg priced at $149@Kohls.

Also Best Buy carries these and should price match the $49.99.

Last edited by a moderator:
just before xmas bestbuy had this for $49.99 as well, but just for one day. So i ended up getting one and then installed CM7 on my HP touchpad. So far this thing is AWESOME!

Picked one up today with the 20% off coupon I recieved yesterday.
So far I tried Green Beret and Space Harrier via iMame and it is just awesome.
Highly recommended if you can find one and were able to download iMame.

Well last night sucked. I couldn't get my android file system to be read via USB on the Touchpad so I had no folder to put the ROMs, so I had to use ACMEuninstaller and do a reload of WebOS via webosdoctor to get it back stock, and that took hours because the USB cable that came with the tablet is shifty and keeps disconnecting. So, I'll reinstall android on it later tonight and try again. I did find all the roms in the correct format though. Haven't been able to try them. Back on topic though, thanks OP for letting us know that it worked with other bluetooth devices, rather than just an iPad, and, it's great quality and looks cool.

Our local BB&B was out of stock, except for the floor model. They offered to sell the floor model, or to have a new one shipped to my house. You might want to give it a try if your store is out. Ask an associate if they can order one for you. I'm glad I grabbed iMAME when it was in the app store.

[quote name='minmao']I did that too. It is very cool and made my dream come true (to own an arcade machine cabinet).
Also, it seems the button layout could not be changed, even though the Mame4droid has the option to change it.[/QUOTE]

Finally got around to trying to map controls. Mame4droid has the option for global input change, but I can also confirm the changing of the button layout seems to have no affect at all. No big deal so far but a game like Spy Hunter seems unplayable. Hopefully this is just a bug that will be worked out. Has anyone tried the Icade with any other tablet besides Ipad or a HP Touchpad? Curious on what else might work.

[quote name='slamoco']Finally got around to trying to map controls. Mame4droid has the option for global input change, but I can also confirm the changing of the button layout seems to have no affect at all. No big deal so far but a game like Spy Hunter seems unplayable. Hopefully this is just a bug that will be worked out. Has anyone tried the Icade with any other tablet besides Ipad or a HP Touchpad? Curious on what else might work.[/QUOTE]

That was tough to figure out. After you load a game, push both of the left buttons simultaneously (the default coin and start buttons). Then you can remap the buttons. Use the upper right button as the select button inside the menu. This is outside of the mame4all button configuration menu. Sorry I'm not more descriptive, but I'm on my touchpad and typing is still a chore. If you can't figure it out, just pm me.

Also, overclocked my touchpad but still not running completely smooth. I'm hoping pics will utilize thedual cores properly and it'll run fine.

[quote name='sparkoc']That was tough to figure out. After you load a game, push both of the left buttons simultaneously (the default coin and start buttons). Then you can remap the buttons. Use the upper right button as the select button inside the menu. This is outside of the mame4all button configuration menu. Sorry I'm not more descriptive, but I'm on my touchpad and typing is still a chore. If you can't figure it out, just pm me.

Also, overclocked my touchpad but still not running completely smooth. I'm hoping pics will utilize thedual cores properly and it'll run fine.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, I will try that for the controls. My mame experience has been smooth and perfect so I would think it would have to do with the Touchpad either being overclocked (1.5) or the version of CM7 I use ( xronified 2.1) or combination of both.

I think I might have Best Buy price match this... still on the fence though. Is this thing really worth $50? How easy or hard is it to go back and forth from playing games in/out of the cabinet? I do a lot of multitasking on my iPad so I don't know.

Closest local store had none, decided to drive across town and that store must have had 10+. Used my coupon for $39.99 + tax, thanks!

Thanks op, had my wife snag me one for under $40 by signing up a new email and getting the 20% off coupon. Was waiting for a great deal again on this after missing the best buy one. Thanks again!

GF and I both snagged one a few days ago from BBB with 20% off coupons. The joystick and buttons are kind of loud, but it still feels nice playing on it.

be sure to call the store rather than using the online inventory. i remember seeing the thing in my local B&M a few weeks ago. recently, it was OOO through the online stock, but when i called the store the manager mentioned that this was still on the shelves. took a trip there and snagged one for $40.

Thanks OP. Decided to check out my local store and they had a bunch. Got it for $43 and change after the 20% off coupon. For those in NE Ohio, they had about 5 or 6 left at the Mayfield location (Eastgate shopping plaza).

Damn missed it and local store is out of stock, bummer. I don't expect anything, but if a generous cag picks up an extra and wants to sell for a reasonable price, that would be excellent.

I'll help you out bruah if someone can answer some questions and I go get 1.

1) Where can I download IMAME now for the Ipad? PM me if it's top secret.
2) Anyone try this with a Kindle Fire?

[quote name='Dysheekie']Damn missed it and local store is out of stock, bummer. I don't expect anything, but if a generous cag picks up an extra and wants to sell for a reasonable price, that would be excellent.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='DaBigKahuna']I'll help you out bruah if someone can answer some questions and I go get 1.

1) Where can I download IMAME now for the Ipad? PM me if it's top secret.
2) Anyone try this with a Kindle Fire?[/QUOTE]

Won't work with a Fire, it doesn't have Bluetooth.

[quote name='Zimmy']Won't work with a Fire, it doesn't have Bluetooth.[/QUOTE]

Thanks bruah, anyone on #1, I can always hijack my wife's ipad for small durations.

iMame was removed from the AppStore. I was able to download it but haven't figgured out how to add roms to my ipad yet.

Are we sure that over clocking webos keeps the android side overclocked since you have to select a profile while in webos to overclock with?

EDIT: I'm trying to rig the icade to hold the touchpad better. It seems like its too narrow to actually cradle it correctly. I may find a way to put the touchstone charger in the iPad holders place

I bought one of these on Friday from BB&B (retail, so got it 20% off as well) and it exceeds my expectations. I love it. It's not chincy at all. I highly recommend it.

Here's a couple strong recommendations of iOS apps for is (aside from iMAME, if you were able to get that):

Super Crossfire HD
Muffin Knight
League of Evil
GoatUp
Atari's Greatest Hits (the arcade games are only fair with it since most weren't joystick games, but the 2600 games all work awesome of course - purely for the retro crowd in this case)
Warblade HD

Lesser for me:
Super Mega Worm (works great, but I get bored with this game - goes on way too long)

I have other compatible games I haven't tried yet. All of the Llama Soft games are compatible. Bigger iist of compatible iOS games is here:
http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=96023

bread's done
Back