Syndicate w/$20 credit at Amazon

This game looks like it has a ton of potential but I hope to see more in game footage before deciding. The $20 credit makes it more worth the risk though.

I'll probably go ahead and preorder. I can always cancel it later.

I'm paying big attention to this game. The guy from Beyond played it a bit and he said it feels really good.

Looks like a generic shooter that will have a $20 price drop within 6 weeks, then have a $20 coupon in the @gamer magazine by summer time. Not this time, EA!

They turned one of my favorite series into a crappy FPS. I'll be talking with my wallet and not buying this generic FPS crap. Give me back my old Syndicate.

Good news that Amazon hasn't given up on their $20 pre-order promos. Although, their stinginess last year did save me money by waiting for games to be cheaper (i.e Resistance 3).

I hope this puts to rest the whole "there is already a thread for it" complaints :)

I've never missed a deal I was interested in because it was buried by too many threads, but I've missed plenty of deals because they were buried inside huge threads. Yes, there is a grey area but any good deal deserves its own thread.

[quote name='MIX_MASTER_ICE']Looks like a generic shooter that will have a $20 price drop within 6 weeks, then have a $20 coupon in the @gamer magazine by summer time. Not this time, EA![/QUOTE]

This made me lol :applause:

To be honest, this game just looks like another corridor shooter from Starbreeze. Like Riddick with psychic abilities.

I've had my eye on this one for awhile now and I think it looks amazing.

Now to decide if I need it now or if I can wait out a price drop... I don't think its going to be the bargain bin game that others in here think. Thanks for the heads up Cheapy.

I think this looks pretty great - but I agree with several of you: it will see a sale price/price cut within a couple of weeks of release.

It happens with all EA games - no matter how glorious the game is. Dead Space 2, BF3, Alice.... I could go on forever. The $20 credit will be irrelevant.

Same reason I'm holding out on a launch purchase of Kingdoms of Amalur...

Excited for this game. Pre ordered to avoid the kmart runaround.

Thanks Cheapy!

Syndicate and ME3 are the only two games I really want to play at launch. So the credit Is a bonus.

[quote name='sTaTIx']To be honest, this game just looks like another corridor shooter from Starbreeze. Like Riddick with psychic abilities.[/QUOTE]

Starbreeze makes great games, so I don't see the problem.

[quote name='maxim2boobles']Its an EA published game so fuck that shit[/QUOTE]
Yeah EA published games don't really hold there value for long. BF3 dropped down to $30 a month after it was released by Black Friday. This game also looks a little like Brink to me, so going to wait for reviews.

Hasn't this been posted in the Amazon Credit Deals thread for at least a couple weeks now? Guess CheapyD didn't notice. ;)

Starbreeze is pretty good (The Darkness was awesome, Riddick was good) and the art style in this screams Deus Ex:HR to me with coop which is a great thing

[quote name='sTaTIx']To be honest, this game just looks like another corridor shooter from Starbreeze. Like Riddick with psychic abilities.[/QUOTE]

Did you play The Darkness? Wouldn't call that the usual corridor shooter.Starbreeze is one few companies that actually focus on making a great single-player mode,unlike most where it's shoehorned in.

Now this game looks great,would preorder it if I knew I what the PC specs were.

Had my eye on this one. Nice to have an excuse to preorder. :) I'm sure it will be down to $40 within a few weeks like every other EA game, but why not get it earlier and pick up the bonus weapons.

[quote name='Kaiser499']They turned one of my favorite series into a crappy FPS. I'll be talking with my wallet and not buying this generic FPS crap. Give me back my old Syndicate.[/QUOTE]
- This isn't some moronic military shooter so both those insults are invalid
- Starbreeze doesn't make "crappy/generic FPS", they're one of the best developers right now

It's either this or wahhh can't control teammates, I rather not deal with teammate AI if developers STILL haven't made AI (in general) better than FEAR 1 after almost seven goddamn years. Whatever, feel free to ignore it while I play a great game in the coming months.

I think this game looks very good. My only worry is that it will be one of those games that is really fun to play, but the single player is only 8 hours. I hate when SP campaigns are short, as I'm more of a SP guy than MP.

[quote name='ShadowAssassin']I think this game looks very good. My only worry is that it will be one of those games that is really fun to play, but the single player is only 8 hours. I hate when SP campaigns are short, as I'm more of a SP guy than MP.[/QUOTE]

Outside of RPG's, there are few exceptions to that length being the average. That, and many games that seemed longer in the past were due to the design, which wasn't as forgiving with checkpoints or revives like today.

I generally go back and play games I buy, though, so to me an extra hour or three doesn't really make or break whether or not I got worth out of my purchase so long as I enjoyed it.

Horatio "Gene Shalit" Sanz sez: "It would be a Syn to let the publisher or length indicate if this is a Day One purchase!"

Sorry.

Anyone know if this will have an Online Pass associated with it? Nothing has been mentioned about it so far in any of the previews I've read.

The problem is Star Breeze is an example of a zombie company, everyone behind the games they did before is gone.

[quote name='Prismatico']Outside of RPG's, there are few exceptions to that length being the average. That, and many games that seemed longer in the past were due to the design, which wasn't as forgiving with checkpoints or revives like today.

I generally go back and play games I buy, though, so to me an extra hour or three doesn't really make or break whether or not I got worth out of my purchase so long as I enjoyed it.[/QUOTE]

Except strategy, fighting games with good SP (SC2's weapon master mode alone took 15), "sandbox", metroidvania,

Hell, even older shooters and beat-em-ups were 15 (And with secrets, non linear levels and actually fun action, had replay value).

**** each Ace Attorney is more than 8 hours to my memory.

Not going to even bother till this reaches the $15 or less price point. It's going to be an 8 hour or less single player campaign and it will drop to $15 by summer probably on Origin.

I been burned too many times last year buying games at launch, even with credit and beating them in like 3 days (I am looking at you bulletstorm and shadows of the damned).

We've had this in the Amazon credit thread for a WHILE, lol (the one with the title that needs to be updated, so people probably don't visit it - but I did pm Shrike4242 to change it more than a month ago, like he said to, but is still outdated). Thanks, OP.

[quote name='deuxhero']The problem is Star Breeze is an example of a zombie company, everyone behind the games they did before is gone.

Except strategy, fighting games with good SP (SC2's weapon master mode alone took 15), "sandbox", metroidvania,

Hell, even older shooters and beat-em-ups were 15 (And with secrets, non linear levels and actually fun action, had replay value).

**** each Ace Attorney is more than 8 hours to my memory.[/QUOTE]

I said there were exceptions...

Strategy games are absolutely among the exceptions, but outside of a few popular releases each year it's a niche genre. This is not because the games that do come out are bad, there just isn't much appeal.

You cite the earlier SC games, but there are 100+ fighting games each generation that don't feature modes with that kind of substance.

Beat 'em ups were 15? What? If you mean arcade style, no way, most were under 2 hours, if even that. But if you're talking about action games from PS1 era onward, in that case it's a matter of extra challenges, the difficulty level, and perhaps even your tactics.

But it seems that you're counting 100%, which isn't what he or I were talking about (meaning sandbox/Metroidvania would be restricted to the story missions or main objectives, none of that secret hunting and exploring, etc.). I realize that you or I actually check those things out, but when most people talk about campaign length they're not talking about every little thing you can do.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Kaiser499']They turned one of my favorite series into a crappy FPS. I'll be talking with my wallet and not buying this generic FPS crap. Give me back my old Syndicate.[/QUOTE]It's like Shadowrun all over again :(

Shadowrun was actually a really brilliant online tactical shooter that everyone who got over their childish nostalgia-fueled fanboyism enjoyed immensely.

Maybe if you diehard fans had given it a shot we'd be talking about a Shadowrun RPG right about now...

I want the old syndicate which I never understood how to play but it seemed neat. I remember that first level like no other.

[quote name='exterminator13']Syndicate is now available for same day as release for .99 cents.[/QUOTE]

I would bite if it was the game for .99 cents.

[quote name='exterminator13']Syndicate is now available for same day as release for .99 cents.[/QUOTE]

Thanks! Put an order in while I still have Prime. Free release day shipping is pretty sweet.

[quote name='TopsideKracker']Looks like we'll be getting a demo soon. Here's a link with the new trailer... still looking pretty good to me (at the very least it gets a 10/10 for style in my book).

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2012/01/17/4-player-co-op-syndicate-demo-incoming.aspx[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info, I'll give it a try but it still seems like a rental would be better for me. I feel like the negativity around here about most games is starting to get to my own purchase decisions, though.

Syndicate for the PC is 47.99 at Newegg with pre-order and promo code: EMCNJJC76. 48 hours only. So maybe this is the best deal so far for PC gamers.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Kaiser499']They turned one of my favorite series into a crappy FPS. I'll be talking with my wallet and not buying this generic FPS crap. Give me back my old Syndicate.[/QUOTE]

This.

Lasers, gauss guns, 4 units, massive armor upgrades, leg upgrades so they run like crackheads, or nothing.

To be honest I don't see how anyone can really knock this without giving it a chance. I've loved everything Starbreeze has done previously. I understand this isn't the same Syndicate, but that doesn't mean it's going to be garbage. I love Shadowrun and to be honest I'm glad I didn't have blind hate for the game when it was released on 360 because it was one of the most innovative and fun FPS experiences I had in awhile.

I'm seriously considering this. There's just so many games coming out so I want to make sure that I plan my purchases well.

[quote name='AngelsDontBurn']To be honest I don't see how anyone can really knock this without giving it a chance. I've loved everything Starbreeze has done previously. I understand this isn't the same Syndicate, but that doesn't mean it's going to be garbage. I love Shadowrun and to be honest I'm glad I didn't have blind hate for the game when it was released on 360 because it was one of the most innovative and fun FPS experiences I had in awhile.

I'm seriously considering this. There's just so many games coming out so I want to make sure that I plan my purchases well.[/QUOTE]

I think since of it was because they should have said from the start, Syndicate FPS. They announced it, so fans were like, fuck yea!

Then months later they're like, hey, it's an FPS, not the isometric thing you people who gave a shit about it in the first place wanted to hear.

Edit: They led us on for TWO YEARS.

bread's done
Back