Dear CheapyD, Amazon Price Matching Thread Request

BFox549

CAGiversary!
LET IT BE KNOWN, I tried PMing CheapyD this request but the site kept asking me to log back in every time I'd press send. I even tried refreshing and checked my sent box (it wasn't listed). I HAVE NO INTENTION TO CAUSE A STIR OR ANYTHING!! I figured since I can't PM the man he would see it in this forum.

CheapyD, I am an avid user of this site and I try to help out the community when I can. I hope this does not lead to a suspension, or banning, from the site. If you or another Admin./Mod. deletes the thread I'll take it as you have read my request and nothing is to be changed.

Dear CheapyD,

I am messaging you on regards of possibly putting the "Amazon Price Matching Thread" back in the "Video Game Deals" section of the website. In all technicalities, people do post deals in the thread (I was unaware of the Playstation Vita deal that was posted).

I firmly believe that the thread will help the CAG community through, not only deal posts, but by bringing users (including lurkers) together. With the help of each other, the thread will provide CAGs with a beneficial deal-shopping experience. There have been numerous times to where others and I have hoped for Amazon to price match other retailers' deals but were unable to obtain it because of the lack of knowledge and togetherness. If you were to refer back to the thread, there was an abundance of Positive feedback regarding the idea; and there were posts showing cooperation. Also, I have a high suspicion that the "Video Game Deals" forum gets more views than the "Deal/Shopping Discussions & Bragging Rights" forum on a daily basis. Right now the viewing numbers are
929 viewing for the Video Game Deals forum and only 45 viewing for the other.

Since the thread deletion I have seen "requests" in threads for Amazon to price match a posted deal. Here is one example:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=312825

redmangoose said: "Wish Amazon had it for Prime. Then I'd definitely cop it."

So I am asking again, please, will you bring the "Amazon Price Matching Thread" back to the "deals" section? This is not just for personal gain but to help the community as a whole.

Sincerely,

Brian (BFox549)

PS - Here is the link to the thread. Amazon Price Matching Thread - "There's No I in Team":

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=312687

Last edited by a moderator:
I think there may be reasons why this won't fly. Such as, Cheapy doesn't want to be perceived as sending business to one seller (Amazon) over another. Other retailers HAVE done promotions here before. (Think Kmart, Gamestop, to name a few.) If the representatives from those companies think that the CAG community is just going to price-match the deal to Amazon, and buy from them instead, what is their incentive to offer a good deal?

Honestly, never got the point of a Amazon price matching thread. I mean, take the FF13-2 deal. It got a thread in the deal forum, and then people are supposed to go to the Amazon PM thread to repost it so people will PM it? Doesn't that effectively make any Amazon PM thread a deal aggregator on a site that already has a forum dedicated to gathering deals?

Now, you want to to bring awareness to the Amazon PM policy, I can get behind that. It's not really a deal, so I can see why it would be moved out of the deal forum...and "deal forum has more viewers" is not a reason for anything to stay in the deal forum.

[quote name='DJP519']I think there may be reasons why this won't fly. Such as, Cheapy doesn't want to be perceived as sending business to one seller (Amazon) over another. Other retailers HAVE done promotions here before. (Think Kmart, Gamestop, to name a few.) If the representatives from those companies think that the CAG community is just going to price-match the deal to Amazon, and buy from them instead, what is their incentive to offer a good deal?[/QUOTE]
In that case, any other site has a widget on their site for it, that continually matches prices, should get a space, too.

[quote name='Salamando3000']Honestly, never got the point of a Amazon price matching thread. I mean, take the FF13-2 deal. It got a thread in the deal forum, and then people are supposed to go to the Amazon PM thread to repost it so people will PM it? Doesn't that effectively make any Amazon PM thread a deal aggregator on a site that already has a forum dedicated to gathering deals?

Now, you want to to bring awareness to the Amazon PM policy, I can get behind that. It's not really a deal, so I can see why it would be moved out of the deal forum...and "deal forum has more viewers" is not a reason for anything to stay in the deal forum.[/QUOTE]
It's the same as having a dedicated thread for GS trade in prices in the deal forum, no?

The price matching thread is asinine. If you want to band together to do that, pay attention to the threads with deals that aren't from amazon. There's no need for a recurring mega thread where people repost deals and supposedly the price match activists spring into action to make it happen. Let's cut down on mega threads including those that exist now. I can't even read the PSN thread or figure out what's new. Keep postings accurate and small.

[quote name='shadowkast']"avid user" by Cag in training, doesn't quite compute[/QUOTE]
You know he created a profile to say this, as he mentions possibly being banned, lol.

[quote name='ijustw1n']The price matching thread is asinine. If you want to band together to do that, pay attention to the threads with deals that aren't from amazon. There's no need for a recurring mega thread where people repost deals and supposedly the price match activists spring into action to make it happen. Let's cut down on mega threads including those that exist now. I can't even read the PSN thread or figure out what's new. Keep postings accurate and small.[/QUOTE]
I was thinking it was where people were posting things that Amazon had already matched, that may or may not get posted here, as well. Is that not the case?

Wrong forum, Mr. Avid user.
You should try applying your avid-ness to reading the forum rules before posting and cluttering up the deals forum.

[quote name='twztid13']It's the same as having a dedicated thread for GS trade in prices in the deal forum, no?[/QUOTE]

His point was that an Amazon PM thread is entirely derivative of other deals and deal posts; GS TIVs are not. So no, it's not the same, for that and other reasons.

[quote name='twztid13']It's the same as having a dedicated thread for GS trade in prices in the deal forum, no?[/QUOTE]

At least that thread has new/improving information on how people can make existing games worth more (in theory at least), making it a decent source of consumer information. An amazon PM thread...would it be anything but reposting info already in the deal forum?

The price matching thread is a nuisance and has no place on the main CAG forum.

As for the above mentioned Gamestop trade-in prices they're a part of the Gamestop trade-in thread that also complies Gamestop trade-in deals.

I should create a Wal-Mart price match thread and then another Best Buy price match thread. Yes, I want to be kool as well.

So you make one thread that is not a deal, then you make another thread that is not a deal petitioning for the first thread to be moved back? Interesting move.

Edit: HA, this got moved too. That was quick.

WOOPS!! I feel retarded. I didn't even see this forum. #-o

Thanks to whoever moved this thread to where it should be!

[quote name='ijustw1n']and supposedly the price match activists spring into action [/QUOTE]

:lol::rofl:

That is too f'in funny!!!

Just picturing a group getting all souped up and ready to go price match! :lol:
They can be like the Priceline negotiator. CAGline Negotiators!!!

[quote name='BFox549']LET IT BE KNOWN[/QUOTE]

OK, it's known, now shut the hell up.

[quote name='twztid13']You know he created a profile to say this, as he mentions possibly being banned, lol.[/QUOTE]

^ I support this course of action.

Hammer time!!

bread's done
Back