- - - - -

DEAL IS DEAD Gamestop - used 360 controller $20 / 120 gb hd $25 / more!

#91 Romeo   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3809 Posts   Joined 14.8 Years Ago  

Posted 09 January 2012 - 11:36 PM

Sure, it's probably a fake but you picked up a 250GB drive for dirt cheap. cheaper than buying a fake off of Ebay or Amazon.

sure, if you paid $$$ for Louis Vuitton and got a knockoff, you should be pissed. but you paid a knockoff price on a knockoff.

Seriously...?! Or trolling?

A sale on a clearance old used hard drive =/= fake knockoff products.

#92 emperordahc  

emperordahc

Posted 10 January 2012 - 12:05 AM

Mines looks the same are you sure it is a bootleg?

I dont know. I found no info online about Gamestop replacing housing on refurbs; i spent hours looking. It sounds like a bootleg from ebay that got traded in, quickly inspected and shipped back out. To me, its not worth the chance. I keep consoles, so i dont want a dead drive a year down the road.

#93 dirtyvu   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1062 Posts   Joined 8.9 Years Ago  

Posted 10 January 2012 - 12:15 AM

Seriously...?! Or trolling?

A sale on a clearance old used hard drive =/= fake knockoff products.

being real. seriously, if you're counting on Gamestop to screen products carefully, you're looking in the wrong place. people sell their banned 360 consoles to Gamestop. people sell systems with failing DVD drives to Gamestop. Gamestop's idea of checking out a system is to boot up a game and see if it loads. Just pray that your dying 360 works when they boot up the game and your console is sold. Not saying it's right and it's definitely something I wouldn't do personally, but I know people that get away with it.

Yes, Gamestop should be more responsible. But when it comes to used, it's used. Caveat emptor. You still get Gamestop's warranty so you have some peace of mind that the product can be easily swapped.

Now, if the hardware is tagged Microsoft refurbished, I'd have more peace of mind because that means it got sent to Microsoft, wiped out and tested, and then repackaged to be resold for ancillary income.

If I saw a 250GB used drive for $30 at Gamestop, fake or not, I'd still buy it. It's still 250GB for $30!

#94 shivan128   CAG at heart CAGiversary!   3751 Posts   Joined 11.4 Years Ago  

Posted 10 January 2012 - 12:32 AM

When I asked them the price of the 250gb HD, the GS clerk told me $70... is this YMMV?

#95 Sonne   The U CAGiversary!   862 Posts   Joined 7.4 Years Ago  

Posted 10 January 2012 - 12:41 AM

When I asked them the price of the 250gb HD, the GS clerk told me $70... is this YMMV?

They have to scan it in for the sale price. This happened to me today when I called for the $22 move remote, it still had the $4x.xx sticker on it.

#96 anotherpoorgamer   Bird's Nest Hair CAGiversary!   5326 Posts   Joined 12.7 Years Ago  

anotherpoorgamer

Posted 10 January 2012 - 01:04 AM

Hmm...250 GB for $30-$35 seems like a decent deal/reason to upgrade from my 120 GB. Now if only Gamestop would carry slim hard drive shells that would save me a trip or two.

#97 thedolphinsrule   It's Morphin Time!!! CAGiversary!   3158 Posts   Joined 12.4 Years Ago  

thedolphinsrule

Posted 10 January 2012 - 01:12 AM

Well I got my friend a 250 GB HD and I know its the real deal cuz it was the HD from the FF13 bundle. Hell of a deal at $30.

#98 jr233270   Esquire CAGiversary!   2779 Posts   Joined 10.7 Years Ago  

Posted 10 January 2012 - 01:15 AM

If anyone is looking for a hard drive transfer kit send me a PM. If you pay for shipping and maybe $2 extra (the cost of me driving to the post office), I'll mail it to you.

Edit: It's gone - that was quick!

Edited by jr233270, 10 January 2012 - 01:44 AM.

#99 gepet0   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1277 Posts   Joined 12.8 Years Ago  

Posted 10 January 2012 - 02:15 AM

Okay I drove to another store and got one with the ms stickers. The clerk swears both are official.

The ms doesn't have a gamestop refurb sticker on it LOL

I can't see gamestop knowingly reselling bootleg drives. I say possible refurbish company,

#100 The Buffmuffin   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   187 Posts   Joined 6.7 Years Ago  

The Buffmuffin

Posted 10 January 2012 - 02:27 AM

Picked up 120 gig for 22.50 hell of a deal to replace my old 20 gig.

#101 sasukekun   Cat-Like Typing Detected CAGiversary!   6711 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

Posted 10 January 2012 - 03:03 AM

Scored brand new (pre-owned) 360 wireless controller for $17.99 after PUR. Guess someone traded one in and didn't want it for some reason

#102 Xellos2099   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3077 Posts   Joined 14.6 Years Ago  

Posted 10 January 2012 - 04:32 AM

Okay I drove to another store and got one with the ms stickers. The clerk swears both are official.

The ms doesn't have a gamestop refurb sticker on it LOL

I can't see gamestop knowingly reselling bootleg drives. I say possible refurbish company,

Well, to be completely honest... a fake drive is like real 99% of the time and it is virtually undetectable unless you do test. The 1% is when you want to play xbox game.

#103 infiniteHorizon   hrzn CAGiversary!   3835 Posts   Joined 9.7 Years Ago  

infiniteHorizon

Posted 10 January 2012 - 07:50 AM

all back in stock online... anyone able to get PUR 10% discount on them? not working online for some reason :roll:

edit: no free shipping either on an order over $60? wtf?

#104 memex   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   68 Posts   Joined 13.0 Years Ago  

Posted 10 January 2012 - 02:45 PM

I picked up a used black controller for $21 and change after tax. Haven't tested it yet but it looks brand new. Will test tonight. Great deal if it works.

#105 midloo   User No. 2 CAGiversary!   2100 Posts   Joined 8.9 Years Ago  

Posted 10 January 2012 - 03:16 PM

Anybody else get a fake looking harddrive like this?!

Posted Image

Yep. I picked up a 250 gb that looked like this last night. It was a bit worn around the connectors and had a "gamestop refurb" sticker on it. It was the only 250gb near me, so I took a chance and did surgery on it. The drive inside looked good. It was a 250gb Hitachi SATA. I slotted it into a Slim 4gb I had and it worked just fine. Haven't tested with an original Xbox game, but I'll try that tonight. For $35, it was worth the chance to me.

#106 NightCat   Backtoad_Overload CAGiversary!   3562 Posts   Joined 8.6 Years Ago  

Posted 10 January 2012 - 06:04 PM

Buying a used 360 controller is just asking for trouble. Hell sometimes you get pretty much new one just used for a few hours but most people these days trade them in after a longer period of use. I know a evil guy at a local game store he buys used controllers on ebays and fixes them so they are temp fixes or use cheap replacement parts to fix them. I used to do custom paint jobs for the shells of these so i bought a bunch of controllers 25+ and will tell you this these things do wear down the analog sticks fast. They are prone for that and certain games like hockey you get super pissed cause of the drifting that goes on and when you go the other direction of the drift the skater stops then goes again. If you play hockey you know that would cause people to get past you and good chance to score. The point is the analog sticks wear to easy on 360 ms controllers so buyer beware. It does not mean if you buy one it will not last awhile just your odds are so bad on used ones just like older xboxs why did people keep buying used and when they rrod they blame other people when they should of never done it cause it was a well known fact. Oh well wish you luck.

#107 LoveAndBeer   AKA: jstew9 CAGiversary!   319 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

LoveAndBeer

Posted 10 January 2012 - 06:42 PM

Well, to be completely honest... a fake drive is like real 99% of the time and it is virtually undetectable unless you do test. The 1% is when you want to play xbox game.

After reading the thread today I went and played an original Xbox game on my 360 with the 'no MS sticker' 250g I purchased and it ran just fine -- I guess that means it is an official drive?

#108 DT778   number 1 on the westside CAGiversary!   10546 Posts   Joined 14.7 Years Ago  

Posted 10 January 2012 - 07:26 PM

Well not 100 percent sure it's official but pretty much it's official. I don't think they take the extra time to do the procedure to get xbox games compatible. I wouldn't sweat it.

#109 TheLegendofTyler   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2361 Posts   Joined 9.1 Years Ago  

TheLegendofTyler

Posted 10 January 2012 - 08:39 PM

Does PUR not work on this? It isn't applying it to the price online. None of my stores have it.

#110 Brother Daz   Scotch and yes? CAGiversary!   7830 Posts   Joined 9.4 Years Ago  

Brother Daz

Posted 10 January 2012 - 08:47 PM

Does PUR not work on this? It isn't applying it to the price online. None of my stores have it.

It should since it's a accessory

#111 sasukekun   Cat-Like Typing Detected CAGiversary!   6711 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

Posted 10 January 2012 - 08:52 PM

Works in-store. Doesnt stack with employee discount though :sadface:

#112 emperordahc  

emperordahc

Posted 10 January 2012 - 09:29 PM

After reading the thread today I went and played an original Xbox game on my 360 with the 'no MS sticker' 250g I purchased and it ran just fine -- I guess that means it is an official drive?

It could still be fake; partition 2 (required for backwards compatibility) can be added to any drive.

I DO NOT RECOMMEND TRYING ANY OF THE BELOW, BUT I WILL LEAVE IT AS GENERAL INFORMATION.

How to format a generic harddrive for the 360, including backwards compatibility: http://digiex.net/gu...x-360-slim.html

Actual partition 2 backup than can be installed to enable backwards compatibility: http://digiex.net/do...1-emulator.html

I've found on other forums where people have bought drives from Gamestop that don't have that partition (so Xbox 1 games won't run), so they know beyond a shadow of a doubt it was fake. In other words, don't trust Gamestop to sell you real stuff and always test it out completely when you get it home. Reference: http://digiex.net/do...emulator-2.html

#113 bgame2   Pure Cag Smoothness CAGiversary!   3548 Posts   Joined 11.1 Years Ago  

Posted 10 January 2012 - 09:34 PM

Yep. I picked up a 250 gb that looked like this last night. It was a bit worn around the connectors and had a "gamestop refurb" sticker on it. It was the only 250gb near me, so I took a chance and did surgery on it. The drive inside looked good. It was a 250gb Hitachi SATA. I slotted it into a Slim 4gb I had and it worked just fine. Haven't tested with an original Xbox game, but I'll try that tonight. For $35, it was worth the chance to me.

Can someone tell me if these are standard SATA drives that could also be put into a PS3?

#114 emperordahc  

emperordahc

Posted 10 January 2012 - 09:42 PM

Can someone tell me if these are standard SATA drives that could also be put into a PS3?

Yes; they're both 2.5" notebook sized SATA. The PS3 doesn't care what you throw at it (I'm using an old Macbook drive in my PS3), it'll happily format it. The 360 requires the drive to be pre-formatted for it.

#115 bgame2   Pure Cag Smoothness CAGiversary!   3548 Posts   Joined 11.1 Years Ago  

Posted 10 January 2012 - 11:27 PM

Thank you emperordahc.

#116 Wrong   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   283 Posts   Joined 9.2 Years Ago  

Posted 11 January 2012 - 12:41 AM

If anyone is looking for a hard drive transfer kit send me a PM. If you pay for shipping and maybe $2 extra (the cost of me driving to the post office), I'll mail it to you.

Edit: It's gone - that was quick!

If anyone else has an extra one, I would be willing to purchase it from you.

#117 emperordahc  

emperordahc

Posted 11 January 2012 - 01:57 AM

If anyone else has an extra one, I would be willing to purchase it from you.

Dont forget you can use a usb drive to move your saves, dlc, etc onto, swap hard drives and move it back. I just did it to move my 20gb to my 120gb. You cant move xbox 1 saves via a usb drive, though.

#118 TheLegendofTyler   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2361 Posts   Joined 9.1 Years Ago  

TheLegendofTyler

Posted 11 January 2012 - 04:26 AM

Anyone know how long this deal is for? I am hoping my PUR 10% works online in the next few days...

#119 Wrong   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   283 Posts   Joined 9.2 Years Ago  

Posted 11 January 2012 - 04:32 AM

Dont forget you can use a usb drive to move your saves, dlc, etc onto, swap hard drives and move it back. I just did it to move my 20gb to my 120gb. You cant move xbox 1 saves via a usb drive, though.

Oh yea. I'll do that.

#120 shinclyde   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   246 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

Posted 11 January 2012 - 04:41 AM

Yes; they're both 2.5" notebook sized SATA. The PS3 doesn't care what you throw at it (I'm using an old Macbook drive in my PS3), it'll happily format it. The 360 requires the drive to be pre-formatted for it.

Remember that only specific Western Digital models are compatible and you need to get a hold of the security sector of an actual xbox 360 drive.