SHIN MEGAMI TENSEI STRANGE JOURNEY WITH SOUNDTRACK $9.99 new, $8.99 used @ GameStop

ROTTINGCORPSE

CAGiversary!
Thanks to Gamestop, for Raising the price back to $15 after just a week. Doesn't surprise me though. Hopefully some people got it at $10.
I played this personally, it is an above average dungeon crawl, with a good sci-fi story, 3 different endings, tons of hidden bosses, and optional quests. Should take 30 hours easy to finish on a speed run, more than double that to acomplish most everything in the game. New game + lets you keep all your demons and valuables. A bargain at $15.

Well, closest New copy is about 20 miles away. Though store up the street has a used copy.

Was planning to do the 50% trade in promo anyway, guess i'll grab this instead of a fodder game. I love Devil Survivor Overclocked on 3DS

I purchased a brand new copy of this at Gamestop last February for $14.99. It remains unopened and I can confidently say that it'll probably remain in my backlog for the rest of my life.

It's a really hard game for a modern player who's used to quick powerups, but it's pretty damn interesting and scary. Good luck finding a new copy because when the game dropped to $13 last year, my copy had the cardboard box broken, but everything else was kept in the drawer.

Shin megami series is the best, i got this for 14.99 over the summer, i thought that was a steal. highly recommended on this one.

Not sure if I saw this new or used off the top of my head, but if this is rare, makes me regret not picking it up when I saw it the other week at gamestop. While I knew the name SMT, I never heard of this game. Granted, I haven't followed the portable market in forever. And watch, now I'll never see it in stock again. :razz:

[quote name='JStryke']Not sure if I saw this new or used off the top of my head, but if this is rare, makes me regret not picking it up when I saw it the other week at gamestop. While I knew the name SMT, I never heard of this game. Granted, I haven't followed the portable market in forever. And watch, now I'll never see it in stock again. :razz:[/QUOTE] This is the digital age, nothing is rare. I also don't think Atlus CC games have been elusive since Persona 3.

No new copies available in my area. There is a used copy nearby, which I doubt will have the soundtrack, let alone the case+artwork and instruction manual.

Might just hold out for the 3DS version if I ever get a 3DS.

[quote name='anotherpoorgamer']No new copies available in my area. There is a used copy nearby, which I doubt will have the soundtrack, let alone the case+artwork and instruction manual.

Might just hold out for the 3DS version if I ever get a 3DS.[/QUOTE]

whoa they're remaking strange journey for the 3ds?

this game is amazing. music is awesome, the whole feel of the game is great.

[quote name='deadkode']whoa they're remaking strange journey for the 3ds?

this game is amazing. music is awesome, the whole feel of the game is great.[/QUOTE]

Oops...I was thinking of Devil Survivor and Devil Survivor: Overclocked. Maybe that should be a hint to the game's developer to make a 3DS version of Strange Journey.

OP, you might want to change that used price since I see it for a dollar cheaper at $7.99.

I've never been very interested in first-person old-school dungeon crawlers like this or the Etrian Odyssey games, but is it really that good?

[quote name='redroversk']This is the digital age, nothing is rare. I also don't think Atlus CC games have been elusive since Persona 3.[/QUOTE]

You should take a look at Hexyz Force on the PSP. Hard to find, quite $$$ if you do.

[quote name='Vigilante']OP, you might want to change that used price since I see it for a dollar cheaper at $7.99.

I've never been very interested in first-person old-school dungeon crawlers like this or the Etrian Odyssey games, but is it really that good?[/QUOTE]

I've never been a fan of first person dungeon crawlers, but since it's a shin megami game I picked it up when it first came out and found it to be very enjoyable. The only reason I didn't beat it was because I made it to a part late in the game where I had to go around and collect a few things for some NPC inside of this annoying maze with teleporters and holes. I tried using a map I found online but my eyes were still spinning in their sockets as I tried to make heads or tails of the damn maze. Fun game though. :roll:

Picked up a new gutted copy, but had the manual and working soundtrack cd. GS employee gave me a 10% shopworn discount too. Thanks OP.

[quote name='forweg']Pretty sure that only applies to first-run copies. Mine works perfectly fine.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that post was back in march of 2010 on that forum. And they said they were rushing out new ones, so one would guess that the second run was good to go.

Got my used copy today :D. If i like it as much as i loved Devil Summoner, i might go for the drive to grab a new copy. Called the store and they said they had like 3 copies too

[quote name='forweg']Pretty sure that only applies to first-run copies. Mine works perfectly fine.[/QUOTE]
The cd was only included with first run copies but I doubt their was even a second run. I believe the issue with the cd was that it was just mp3 files on a cd instead of a actual burnt music disc so depending on what device you're using to play it, it might work fine.

Make sure you guys buy it new (if you can). GameStop has a horrible habit of throwing their boxes away for the used DS games for some fucking stupid reason.

[quote name='VyseArcad1a']Make sure you guys buy it new (if you can). GameStop has a horrible habit of throwing their boxes away for the used DS games for some fucking stupid reason.[/QUOTE]
I believe it's because a DS box is something like 10 times the size of a DS cart, and so it saves them an assload of space without too many people caring enough to refuse buying a game without the case.

Thanks OP! Picked up a new copy at the nearest store, been curious about this for a while but apparently this was my bite price. The clerk kept telling me they didn't have it for like 5 minutes, then the manager opened a drawer and pulled it right out, still in it's wrapping, plus a copy of the CD. It reminded me why I never ever ever ever shop there anymore, something like this ALWAYS happens.

[quote name='Shinpachi']I believe it's because a DS box is something like 10 times the size of a DS cart, and so it saves them an assload of space without too many people caring enough to refuse buying a game without the case.[/QUOTE]

They could easily just keep it somewhere in the back room or under the counter until someone buys the game. Kind of like what my local Gamestop did, they got a trade in of a PS2 game that I bought and told me to wait a bit so they could go find the case/manual for it.

haha ya good luck finding a new copy in store thats actually new. At the very best it will just have a mangled box with stickers all over it... at worst it'll be just the cart or cart and mangled DS case

I hate when they plaster stickers all over collectors boxes

Just returned my copy and got the last new one in a 40 mile radius (Was 20 miles yesterday, but apparently someone snatched some of the other copies)

Box was dinged to hell, but i dont really care. Everything else was intact. Only 2.80$ more than a used copy ^_^

[quote name='VyseArcad1a']Make sure you guys buy it new (if you can). GameStop has a horrible habit of throwing their boxes away for the used DS games for some fucking stupid reason.[/QUOTE]

When I first experienced this early last year the employee at the store told me corporate sent a letter to all stores to trash all cases/manuals for DS games due to the size of the cases. I thought it was stupid and even told the employee that and he agreed with me and told me that sales of used DS games took a bit of a hit at his store and probably others as a result. Also told me that some stores were contacting corporate to get them to reverse said decision.
It seems to have worked in at least one store I went to last week as they now keep and display the used cases/manuals.

FYI, the manufacturing error of the CD is due to it being pressed as a data CD, not a music CD. The Atlus forum mentions that you can just rip the songs off the CD and encode them as mp3s. This will pretty much be your only option right now because they have run out of replacements.

This isn't that big a deal to me since I always rip my CDs anyway. Kudos though to Atlus for initially providing a free replacement (no return of the original CD required). Shame on the hoarders who took advantage of the replacement site though. :p

[quote name='Nogib']You should take a look at Hexyz Force on the PSP. Hard to find, quite $$$ if you do.[/QUOTE]

Is this game worth picking up? Seems like there is a used copy at a nearby Gamestop

Same here.

So far I've had no luck with this game, pretty much all gamestops within a 70 mile radius are cartridge only. The closest one too me said that it was supposed to have the case based on where they got the cart from, but it must've been stolen. DAMMIT!

[quote name='Rozz']I purchased a brand new copy of this at Gamestop last February for $14.99. It remains unopened and I can confidently say that it'll probably remain in my backlog for the rest of my life.[/QUOTE]

Tell it. Well-regarded, vaguely daunting to approach, big time commitment = buy but never play.

I've got about maybe two GameStops nearby that have a copy each. Unfortunately, like with most DS and PSP games that come in cardboard cases, they're completely trashed.

[quote name='chronoserge456']Is this game worth picking up? Seems like there is a used copy at a nearby Gamestop[/QUOTE]

I havent played it but i hear its quite fun. I think i picked up a new copy and never opened it. Now i dont want to because new copies go for around 70 bucks. Id love to find a used one in good condition. Id say snag it for sure if you can find it.

Im still looking for a decent quality copy of monster kingdom jewel summoner. THat one goes for tons new too =( I got a used copy but its got no case or manual. One of the few tims i broke my rule of not buying incomplete games

Shit. Now the deal is dead.
$14.99 New $12.99 Used on the website. A local gamestop did have a copy and was going to try and pick it up maybe saturday.
Alas.

I will never understand for the life of me why GameStop raises prices after issuing price drops only to later drop them again.

bread's done
Back