GamersGate - Sonic CD Preorder - $3.74

ddp72984

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-SONICCD/sonic-cd

don't if anyone saw this before, but I got this link from a poster on NeoGAF. This site is stating that Sonic CD is going to retail online for 6.99, but if you preorder, you get it for half-off. Also stating that it will release in about 4 days.

This may sound weird, but I've only ordered digitally through Amazon and Steam itself. Are these guys trustworthy? Also, can I use the code from these guys to redeem on Steam later? Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
That's not bad. It says a third party account required, which is probably Steam given Sega's love of it as of late. (They better love it considering how many people bought Sonic Generations on PC because they went aggressive with the sales.)

I'd buy it if we confirmed Steam, if only because Sega CD emulators are more effort than I generally want to do for the task... and the upgrades of course.

I've bought plenty of things from Gamersgate. They work great and don't use any of their own DRM except in the installer.

I can't be absolutely sure until the game comes out but it looks like Sonic CD will just be a steam code based on this description on the product page: "DRM:Requires a 3rd party download and account" and I know Sonic CD uses steamworks.

[quote name='RollingSkull']I'd buy it if we confirmed Steam, if only because Sega CD emulators are more effort than I generally want to do for the task... and the upgrades of course.[/QUOTE]

If it's anything like the recent XBLA release than it isn't using a Sega CD emulator, it's been ported.

[quote name='RollingSkull']That's not bad. It says a third party account required, which is probably Steam given Sega's love of it as of late. (They better love it considering how many people bought Sonic Generations on PC because they went aggressive with the sales.)

I'd buy it if we confirmed Steam, if only because Sega CD emulators are more effort than I generally want to do for the task... and the upgrades of course.[/QUOTE]

I thought Steam was confirmed? So, then I could take their code and use it on Steam?

Gamersgate is totally legit and safe to order from. Many of us buy from GG because several of the games they have register on Steam and they have occasionally good bargains.

That's a good price for Sonic CD, by the way. I don't know if it's like the recent iOS version but it if is it's really full-featured and offers both Japanese and NA/EU soundtracks (minus a couple due to voice licensing rights). The soundtracks alone are worth that price.

If Steam is confirmed... (I haven't looked much into it but I'd bet $3.74 it is), you definitely could (and would HAVE to) take their code and use it in Steam

[quote name='MPoWeRM3']aw, didn't know this is coming out on PC as it was never announced. i wouldn't have bought it on xbla on day one.[/QUOTE]

It came out for PC a good 16 years or more ago. I don't know where I got it from, but I have Sonic CD for Windows 95. It's a great game, although it's easier to control on Sonic Gems Collection for GC.

[quote name='ddp72984']http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-SONICCD/sonic-cd

don't if anyone saw this before, but I got this link from a poster on NeoGAF. This site is stating that Sonic CD is going to retail online for 6.99, but if you preorder, you get it for half-off. Also stating that it will release in about 4 days.

This may sound weird, but I've only ordered digitally through Amazon and Steam itself. Are these guys trustworthy? Also, can I use the code from these guys to redeem on Steam later? Thanks[/QUOTE]
Ever heard of publisher Paradox Interactive from Sweden?
Paradox owns Gamersgate.
Yes, they sure as heck are legit. :D

[quote name='Cmosfm']Hey man, thanks for contributing.[/QUOTE]
You're welcome, I always look forward to digital releases of older games. But from a collector's standpoint I'd rather have the more valuable one.

[quote name='Blade']It came out for PC a good 16 years or more ago. I don't know where I got it from, but I have Sonic CD for Windows 95. It's a great game, although it's easier to control on Sonic Gems Collection for GC.[/QUOTE]

lol. i knew about that version, but i want a more modern version with widescreen support and runs under modern OS.

Sonic CD PC/360/PS3/iOS/Android/Windows Phone 7 has both Japanese and North American soundtracks, widescreen support, and...

Tails becomes playable after beating the game once. He can fly.

Sadly, an extra zone was cut from the port.

Actually, this is intriguing. I am a fan of Sonic CD, despite some odd choices in design. In fact, I am a legitimate owner of a Sega CD (Model 2) and Sonic CD. I had the PC version for Windows 95 back in the day, and it was beyond dreadful. (Full screen brought everything to a wonderful Blue Screen.) Personally, for a nice port of Sonic CD, I'd pay $2 at the next Steam sale. (I'd pay more, but, man, that original PC version was terrible.)

I don't know much about the Retro-Engine, but, if the framerate's solid, I'm in. (No exceptions, Sega.)

[quote name='EliotAndrews']I don't know much about the Retro-Engine, but, if the framerate's solid, I'm in. (No exceptions, Sega.)[/QUOTE]

It's running 60fps on the 360 so PC version should achieve that too unless you are running with a 386 computer. :lol: The only possible thing could screw the PC version is controls/input lag. Space Channel 5 Part 2 on the PC is nearly unplayable because of that.

[quote name='Nohbdy']Sonic CD PC/360/PS3/iOS/Android/Windows Phone 7 has both Japanese and North American soundtracks, widescreen support, and...

Tails becomes playable after beating the game once. He can fly.

Sadly, an extra zone was cut from the port.[/QUOTE]

There's also a screen filter option I believe. If it's anything like the iOS port (done by the same team I think) then this will be an even better version. I really don't like touch screen controls for games like this.

Regarding the extra zone, the article you linked to describes it as an unused level rather than a level that was cut.

As much as I want to get it I have a feeling it will be on sale during the summer, definitely by the winter (much like the Genesis and Dreamcast Collections).

Anyway, thanks OP!

bread's done
Back