Official 2012 Yard Sale Thread

Tsel

CAGiversary!
Feedback
328 (100%)
Post your hauls here and remember, pictures don't hurt!

Previous Threads:

Yard Sale Tips:
-Expect to be out from 8-1 ish.

-If you hate getting up early, and if you have a hard time going to bed before midnight then go to CVS and pick yourself up some Simply Sleep (non-prescription, made by Tylenol, relatively cheap, completely safe/non-addictive and knocks you out).

-Definately do Saturday, with optional Sunday or Friday (if you don't work or go to school). Saturday is the main day though.

-Find websites for all of the news papers in your area (or get the papers themselves). Compile a list of yardsales-of-interest.

-More on the above point: Look for buzzwords like "Toys", "Games", and "Multi-Family" to help your chances. Alot of the time you'll see multi-family or community yardsales, which are a bunch of sales in one location.

-After you compile your list (anywhere from 20-40 sales), go to mapquest or yahoo maps and get directions from place to place. Plan out a route for the day.

-If you don't like the list method, then you can try driving around your surrounding towns looking for signs and sales. Try to stay in suburban areas (they usually have the best stuff).

-Never just "drive by". Most of the time, games are in boxes and aren't visible from the car.

-Try to get somebody to go with you, so you can have a driver and a navigator.

-Always have a bunch of 1's, some 5's, a bunch of quarters, and a checkbook (if you find a huge score).

-Cash in Face technique (CIF) If someone gives you a price on something that's not what you're wiling to pay. Walk around and look a little more get the cash ready that you're willing to pay and stick it in the persons face and say will you take (whatever price) for it? Sometimes when the cash is in their face, they opt to snatch up your offer. (Use at your discretion)

-(More on the above tip) The cash in face method is basically lowballing them - and as a tactic you basically hold out the money - and when they see the money being offered to them *held out as close to their face as possible without being rude about it* they'll usually accept. For example, if they're asking $10 and you offer them $5 while holding out a $5 dollar bill, their instincts might tell them to just take the money that they can physically see.

-(More on the above tip) When using the Cash in Face technique, group your bills together in your pocket or pockets. I usually put 5 or 6 fives folded in half and 20 singles folded in half in one pocket. This allows me to easily prepare with one hand my cash in face offer. Although the CIF technique is not always a success the element of suprise I beleive is the catalyst behind many successful transactions.

-Never give up. Most of the time you'll find shit at 38/40 sales and gold at 2/40. You never know what you'll find and when you'll find it, it's 100% random with no rhyme or reason.

-Always haggle, and always give an offer (the worst they can say is "no"). Also keep in mind what you would be willing to pay, but don't be too frugal.

-Always have the money to pay for your stuff with you. If you say "I'll come back and pay later", you could lose the sale!

-If something isn't marked, don't make the first offer. Always ask them what they want before you offer them anything!

-It doesn't hurt to be visibly nice when walking up to a sale. You never know if they'll have anything, and people are less willing to cut you a deal if they don't like you.

-Examine your items carefully before purchase - most cart games tend to need a serious cleaning

-If items do not have a price and you have to ask how much and the person hesitates with a response - just blurt out I'll give you a dollar or whatever.

-Multpile item purchases tend to get bigger discounts

-Always look in boxes - even boxes that look like they might not contain games and stuff.

-If you don't see any games or games stuff, always ask "Do you have any videogames" For whatever strange reason you tend to see a lot of spaghetti strainers and pie plates while the real goods are left inside. I think the majority of these sales are put together by women, and most of them don't even thing about busting out hubbies old video games

-Some people are insanely unreasonable and really believe some one will buy 10 yard fight for $5

-Some people are extremely knowledgable on the value of their stuff and will be fair but not stupid

-Some people will price things so reasonably you may just want to pay tha asking price because it really is a bargain

-Some people are stupid and really want to get rid of those old boxes of games etc. The thought of making $20 or $30 on a box of stuff or multiple items appeals to them much more then " will you take a quarter on this salt shaker?" (these are the kind of people I like)

-Remember the deals are out there and more often then not you need to be patient. You may not score anything one week but score multiple items the next

-(At your discretion) Sometimes you can knock a few bucks off of their asking price by pointing out the flaws of what you're buying (if a system is missing its hookups, for example).

-If you find yourself with a few dirty systems or cartridges, pick up a box of Mr. Clean's Magic Erasers. These things are cheap, ridiculously effective, quick, leave no residue, and don't damage what you're cleaning. They'll take off dirt, grime, marker, sticker glue, pretty much anything you can think of. You owe it to yourself to give these a try, you'll be impressed.

-It's a good idea to bring along USPS Postal Bins in your car. They are durable, free, and you can put stuff in them to keep it from rolling around in the back of your car (which often damages items). It will also make it easier to carry all your finds inside if you purchase a lot. If you find any cotton tshirts free or cheap, keep some in your trunk in the box to wrap glass or fragile items.

-If you have a cell phone, and you're spending a lot on your bill each month, look into getting a PDA style phone such as a T-Mobile Sidekick II. For $60 a month, I get 1000 minutes and unlimited Data plan. The phone is an invalueable research tool, and has saved me from making big mistakes while out on the hunt, and convinced me to purchase things I would have otherwise left at the Yard Sale or Thrift Store.

-It's always a good idea to keep some batteries and spare games in your car, so that you can test portable systems when you find them (GB/GG/GBA). Just make sure you take them with you at the end of the day if you intend to park your car in the hot sun!

-You might encounter some unspeakably filthy items in your travels, and with this in mind, it can be beneficial to keep a box of Baby Wipes or a bottle of Hand Sanitizer with you in your car. You never know what you're touching! Also, make sure and wash your hands as soon as you get into your house.

-If you're short on Yard Saling funds, you might fix the problem by recycling some cans and bottles! A lot of the finds out there are dirt-cheap to begin with, and if you (or your friends/family) drink a lot of soda, you could easily kill two birds with one stone.

- Go to different areas several weekends in a row to learn good areas (sales common and with okay stuff).

- ALWAYS go to sales the weekend after the previous weekend was rained out. The sales planned for the previous weekend often get cancelled and rescheduled for the nice weather weekend. This means the number of sales are more numberous (i.e. easier to find stuff as it can't "all" be picked over).

- Get up early and go. Get to the areas you go about the time (if not right before) the sun comes up. Yes, the early bird does get the worm. Why go to a sale at 9am when someone else got there at 7am and purchased the stuff you would want. Granted, you can get lucky from time to time at sales later in the day, but most often it's the first one there who gets it.

- TAKE CASH. Go the ATM the week before you go to sales to have cash on hand. Break some of the larger bills at a grocery/convienant store. Having some smaller bills on hand makes it easier to purchase smaller items quick and get to the next sale (especially in the early part of the day with the people at the sale may not have change too).

- (At your discretion) It doesn't hurt to ask "What's your best price on..." It comes across MUCH more polite than "I'll give you $5 for this."

- Ask if the people at the sale have anything of the type you are looking for. Even if they don't have it out, they may just not have got to it, or didn't think someone would be looking for the stuff.

- Drive defensively. Some people that go to sales are IDIOTS when it comes to the way they drive. We saw a lady driving up a street with only enough room for 1 car that blocked 13 cars. She had to back up. But, instead of just backing up and over to the curb, she backed up INTO the connecting lane and blocked it's traffic. Let's just say some people lose their minds when going to sales.

- When at a sale, if you are interested in something, then pick it up and hold it. Do no put it down unless you are sure you do not want it. Someone else may be just waiting for you to put it down and "think" about it (while they pick it up and buy it).

-Unless you are in a really good mood, and not hurting for time NEVER take your grandmother. I've seen mine spend an hour at one sale that had only five boxes of dishes and she didn't buy a thing!

[quote name='slowdive21']how dare you! :lol:[/QUOTE]

Hey now, you had 8 days to make this thread. 8 whole days! Maybe next year. ;)

Had a pretty solid day yesterday. Have not gone out in a few months, but the weather was nice yesterday and a few sales looked interesting, so I decided to give them a look. Glad I did.

YardSalesPics188.jpg

First sale had a nice PS one system, which had apparently made it through another yard sale they had a few weeks ago and went unsold. It was marked $10, but I offered $4 and it was accepted. Also noticed an opened box Starcraft 2 and asked the owner what the deal with it was. He said he opened it and never used the CD key, and he only wanted $2, so I took it home for that price (and it works, too). He also had a box of about 35-40 mostly fiction books/novels and was asking $.25 per book. I told him I'd take the box for $5 and he let me have it, even helped me carry it to my car. Later traded it into local used bookstore for $41 in credit, and they rejected about 12 books from the lot. After this sale, I hit a couple more with no luck and went home.

Went out again around 1pm and checked out a sale that was posted after my initial morning internet search. This one took the day's prize. Both pics are from the same sale.

YardSalesPics179.jpg

YardSalesPics183.jpg

This guy had a mess on his lawn. I approached his lawn and quickly found an n64 and a couple games, and asked him about any more video games. He told me he had more in the garage and hadn't put them out yet. He pulled out a massive bin with games for PS1, Wii, Xbox, Xbox 360, SNES, controllers, wires, etc. The only games worth getting excited over were the SNES games; most everything else was shovelware. I quickly found out that he buys storage units and sells the contents, and after fishing around, I decided that he knew he had some decent stuff but didn't always know the true value of everything he had. I originally offered $15 for everything in the pictures above plus a ps2 slim unit only (citing lack of cords/power units for the systems, and overall mediocre condition of most of the SNES games), but he threatened to take it all to a trade-in store if he didn't get $50. We eventually settled on taking out the ps2 slim from the mix, and agreeing on a $30 price point. He mentioned that he had about 30 NES games in a storage unit nearby, but when I tried to leave my number with him, he told me just to try back again next weekend. I'll do that.

As is common with most storage unit flippers that I've run across (who don't really have a specialized knowledge of video games in particular), they view the more recent stuff as being worth more, but don't know the values of particular rare games/systems. Highlights from the lot include a NES Top Loader w/dogbone controller (no hookups), a working SNES (no hookups) which are hard to find around here, and several uncommon/rare SNES games including Contra III, Castlevania IV, Sunset Riders, Blackthorne, Super Punch-Out, Super Mario All-Stars, and Donkey Kong Country. All had some form of moderate label wear, and aren't quite collector quality, but still work and will flip nicely. I looked for the cords for all these systems for a time after but couldn't find anything in his mess, but I know that I still made out like a bandit. A great set of finds for a weekend in January, or any weekend for that matter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just posting to get this in my subscriptions.

Have a new goal for this garage sale season, though: boxes. The lady of the house and I are doing some redecorating and I convinced her to set up my new game room how I want. Since I started treasure hunting, I've found enough boxes to decorate the room with them. A 2600 box, a Dreamcast box, two PS2 boxes (one fat and blue, one slim and white), just to name a few.

But until things warm up here in the Chi, I have to settle for Craigslist and auction houses. I did get my hands on an NES with the box right before New Year's, though. Keeping the box...still trying to decide the fate of the NES, whether or not to keep it.

Hope I get to post up some gems this year. Maybe I'll consider expanding my traveling a bit this year...

Ah, can't wait for this season. The lack of cold weather recently leads me to believe it'll be coming earlier than usual too. I'll be ready! ;)

I'd love to find a NES Top Loader w/ dogbone controller in the wild. I haven't seen one in over 10 years. Almost bought a Yobo for $20 because of that scarcity.

[quote name='anotherpoorgamer']I'd love to find a NES Top Loader w/ dogbone controller in the wild. I haven't seen one in over 10 years. Almost bought a Yobo for $20 because of that scarcity.[/QUOTE]

I've only been going to sales since the start of the 2011 season, and this was my first NES top loader. I hit probably 500 to 1000 sales in the spring/summer/fall. I was pretty excited when I saw it, too. I'm glad he hadn't put most of the video game stuff out yet, because I'm fairly sure it would not have made it til 1pm otherwise. Keeping it for my collection, because my NES Toaster had red blinking light and I hadn't gotten around to fixing it yet. One of my best finds yet.

[quote name='Floopy']I've only been going to sales since the start of the 2011 season, and this was my first NES top loader. I hit probably 500 to 1000 sales in the spring/summer/fall. I was pretty excited when I saw it, too. I'm glad he hadn't put most of the video game stuff out yet, because I'm fairly sure it would not have made it til 1pm otherwise. Keeping it for my collection, because my NES Toaster had red blinking light and I hadn't gotten around to fixing it yet. One of my best finds yet.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I have only seen 3 top loaders in the past 3 or 4 years. I bought 2 of them, but left one because the owner wanted $25 for it and I didn't feel like paying that much for it without any games. In hindsight, I should have bought it. ;)

I got spoiled with my first one. It is basically perfect and I think I paid $4.25 or $4.50 (instead of $5) from an old lady for it.

My second I bought in a big lot when I stumbled on some games at a sale. Everyone was looking though bins of DVDs and I saw a lone rubbermaid with some fabric in it and it also had the top loader, some games, and some extra controllers (one was still in the gamestop pre-owned bag).

[quote name='slowdive21']Yeah, I have only seen 3 top loaders in the past 3 or 4 years. I bought 2 of them, but left one because the owner wanted $25 for it and I didn't feel like paying that much for it without any games. In hindsight, I should have bought it. ;)

I got spoiled with my first one. It is basically perfect and I think I paid $4.25 or $4.50 (instead of $5) from an old lady for it.

My second I bought in a big lot when I stumbled on some games at a sale. Everyone was looking though bins of DVDs and I saw a lone rubbermaid with some fabric in it and it also had the top loader, some games, and some extra controllers (one was still in the gamestop pre-owned bag).[/QUOTE]

Are the top loaders really that special? My girlfriend has one chilling in the guest room at her house, never thought anything of it. I was always more interested in the complete copies of Ocarina of Time and Yoshi's Story she had, lol

[quote name='TheAngryCAG']Are the top loaders really that special? My girlfriend has one chilling in the guest room at her house, never thought anything of it. I was always more interested in the complete copies of Ocarina of Time and Yoshi's Story she had, lol[/QUOTE]

I think it is more a sense of pride/rarity. They do not get "the blinkies" though like the original design and some people like to mod them to have stereosound. The top loaders tend to have a line that bothers me more than having to fidget with an old model.

Actually I have 12-16 NES systems right now, so I basically mod any problem systems (I would rather not, if I do not have to) and give them all a good cleaning. I thought about doing a blog or showing my progress/procedures, but I am too lazy.

I haven't gotten into custom paint yet, but I plan on getting it together this year as well as trying some led mods.

I have about 30 games to finish cleaning and then I will be caught up.

[quote name='Tsel']Hey now, you had 8 days to make this thread. 8 whole days! Maybe next year. ;)[/QUOTE]

I even sent him a PM about setting up a thread (about 5 days ago).

I must be lucky to have regular garage sales since I live in San Diego, but I've been working a lot of weekend mornings so I haven't been able to yard sale as much as I want to.

[quote name='schultzed']I even sent him a PM about setting up a thread (about 5 days ago).[/QUOTE]

That's why I waited...to give you a heads up.

(And I was sick for a few days. Beware of the flu that is going around. It hits hard for about 2 days. I thought I had food poisoning.)

Plus everyone bitched that I made it too early last year. :lol:

I apologize then for hijacking the thread. I'm on here frequently, so if anyone ever has any requests, I'll be happy to oblige them.

[quote name='TheAngryCAG']Are the top loaders really that special? My girlfriend has one chilling in the guest room at her house, never thought anything of it. I was always more interested in the complete copies of Ocarina of Time and Yoshi's Story she had, lol[/QUOTE]

I like mine for two reasons:

1. Smaller size (even if it isnt THAT much smaller)
2. No messing around with games in attempts to get them to work (ie no blinking screen, blowing in games, etc) I hated that about my old front loader.

I do need a dogbone controller though :X

Not a yard sale, but . . . it was person to person--so I'll post here. Plus it will be months before I go to a sale :whistle2:(

I was at a pawn shop and the clerk was waiting on a customer (I wanted to negotiate a price on a set of ST Voyager DVDs--the complete series in great shape for $80). This customer has a bag and the clerk pulls out a Wii console and a SNES. The seller forgot their wiimote (I think the clerk said they'd might pay $35 for the whole thing) but he doesn't want the SNES. I follow the customer outside . . .

I pitched $5 . . . she came back with $20. I tried $10 but ended up at $15. I was happy cuz in the bag . . . it was complete with a copy of Mario World.

System works great but the power adapter is dead :whistle2:( Best of all, it is pretty free of yellowing:

One sale today for $15 got a Sega Genesis with 2 controllers and a copy of football '
94 (Haven't tested it yet but came with all the connections). Also got 2 Boxed Genesis controls and these 5 comics. There was at least 12 boxes full but I got there a little later and and older gentlemen had already started looking through them and I only got to look into one box he hadn't.

24lpfso.jpg

Now I'm not sure if these are even wroth anything but where would be a good place to unload them if they are?

[quote name='DeadStranger']One sale today for $15 got a Sega Genesis with 2 controllers and a copy of football '
94 (Haven't tested it yet but came with all the connections). Also got 2 Boxed Genesis controls and these 5 comics. There was at least 12 boxes full but I got there a little later and and older gentlemen had already started looking through them and I only got to look into one box he hadn't.

24lpfso.jpg

Now I'm not sure if these are even wroth anything but where would be a good place to unload them if they are?[/QUOTE]

The only one that stands out is the Ghost Rider number 1. Since the new movie is out and if it is a 1st print, you may be able to put it on ebay for $10 BIN and some sucka may buy it. :D

But, in theory they are all decent comics if they are first prints.

Jonah Hex comics have all gone up in the guide this year, #2 issues are always good like the ROM, the man thing is a 20 cent marvel which are always easy to get rid of on ebay, and the Savage Dragon still has a cult following.

[quote name='slowdive21']The only one that stands out is the Ghost Rider number 1. Since the new movie is out and if it is a 1st print, you may be able to put it on ebay for $10 BIN and some sucka may buy it. :D

But, in theory they are all decent comics if they are first prints.

Jonah Hex comics have all gone up in the guide this year, #2 issues are always good like the ROM, the man thing is a 20 cent marvel which are always easy to get rid of on ebay, and the Savage Dragon still has a cult following.[/QUOTE]

I would like to add, I could pull all of these (except the GH 1) out from a cheap bin at a comic con, but I was responding in how you did in terms of selection. I know there will be comic guys saying "These are worthless. I can get them for nothing at a convention.", but I have been able to sell 'worthless' comics for a large profit on ebay, you just need to pay attention to trends, like movies and deaths when you list items.

example: there is a comic called Hardware. It can be found in any cheap bin at pretty much every comic con. It is one of the comics that everyone has in their collection or has gotten rid of by selling lots. I had 3 copies in my sell pile. The creator died. It is unfortunate, but death news always = sales on ebay. I listed the "Collectors edition" of hardware number 1 on ebay for $15 each shipped and sold all 3 within hours. Technically it books for $5 or $6, but I can pretty much guarantee there are some on ebay now for $1 if I ever wanted to add it to my collection.

EDIT: Just so you know this was last year, so don't go buying up copies of hardware #1 as it is worthless again. ;)

Well just checked and Man-Thing, ROM, and SD are first prints. GR is a volume 2 and Hex is a Vol. 3. So I'm guessing those are worthless?

[quote name='DeadStranger']Well just checked and Man-Thing, ROM, and SD are first prints. GR is a volume 2 and Hex is a Vol. 3. So I'm guessing those are worthless?[/QUOTE]

The hex should still be a first print. vol # has more to do with the series. Ghost Rider should read number 1 vol 2 since it is the second series under the title "Ghost Rider" I believe that one would say "2nd printing" at the end of that paragraph if it were a second print. (I don't have a second print, so I can not check).

A few months later marvel started changing the color of the cover for other issues like 5 and 15 to denote second printings.

Here's this weekend's finds. I'm pretty happy with it.

2 NES games - $1 each.

gs211200.jpg

X-Files Complete Series: Collector's Edition - $15

gs211201.jpg

gs211202.jpg

Puttin' that one up on eBay for $125-150. Unless anyone wants to make me an offer on it. It shows a bit of shelf-wear but is otherwise in very nice shape.

Yard sales have been dry here for the last month or so but are slowly starting to heat up

In the last few weeks I have gotten

Azure Dreams PS1 - w/ case, missing manual
2 albums of Pokemon cards (includes some promos and holos / rares) $5 total
"Evil He Man" 1980 action figure - FREE (guy gave it to me after talking about the Robot Chicken sketch)
Thrust G1 Transformer (Body only) - $1.50
Sin Megami Tensei Nocturne SE PS2 Complete - $5
Valis 1 and 2 Gen cart only - $5 total

Im hoping it picks up after the Super Bowl, the weather has been in the 80s here so its definitely yard sale weather.

People here have been having true "garage sales" lately. Mind you this is Indiana in the middle of winter. They are advertising sales inside heated garages through Craigslist. Not sure how many people actually show up because I never go; they only seem to advertise furniture or crafts and nick nacks.

I'm not sure if anyone has any good tips on yard sales but I would appreciate them. I'm a level 98 thrift store hunter but I don't have the best of luck on yard sales.

I get up early, even map out a direction, the main problem that I have, is I can only hit one or two until I'm part of this huge ass caravan traveling from yard sale to yard sale picking over scraps.

[quote name='Theenternal']I'm not sure if anyone has any good tips on yard sales but I would appreciate them. I'm a level 98 thrift store hunter but I don't have the best of luck on yard sales.

I get up early, even map out a direction, the main problem that I have, is I can only hit or two until I'm part of this huge ass caravan traveling from yard sale to yard sale picking over scraps.[/QUOTE]

The biggest tip I can give (and the one I see around here most often) is to always ask the person running the sale if they have what you're looking for. Even if they have video games sitting out for modern systems, ask if they have older stuff (if that's what you're looking for.) Even if they don't look like they would even in a million years have video games, ask for video games. These people are the ones who give you the most deals, because if they have no knowledge of the stuff, they'll sell it for a good price.
I once asked an elderly woman if she had old video games, and she brought out a box of probably 40 NES games. I asked how much per game, and she told me I could take the lot for $5. Had most of the games, but was able to sell a few to some friends for a decent price.

[quote name='C0dy']The biggest tip I can give (and the one I see around here most often) is to always ask the person running the sale if they have what you're looking for. Even if they have video games sitting out for modern systems, ask if they have older stuff (if that's what you're looking for.) Even if they don't look like they would even in a million years have video games, ask for video games. These people are the ones who give you the most deals, because if they have no knowledge of the stuff, they'll sell it for a good price.
I once asked an elderly woman if she had old video games, and she brought out a box of probably 40 NES games. I asked how much per game, and she told me I could take the lot for $5. Had most of the games, but was able to sell a few to some friends for a decent price.[/QUOTE]

I always use the phrase "The old stuff that Gamestop doesn't take anymore". It devalues the games, since the person's first thought would be "Hmm,these must be worth something if he is asking about them" ;)

Asking doesn't work for me, I have tried it a million times. I just end up confusing all the old ladies who ask what video games are. Its winter here, so there are no sales.

I do ask if they seem to have a lot of electronics, or if they look like they are of proper age to own video games, but I don't ask everybody.

[quote name='Theenternal']I'm not sure if anyone has any good tips on yard sales but I would appreciate them. I'm a level 98 thrift store hunter but I don't have the best of luck on yard sales.

I get up early, even map out a direction, the main problem that I have, is I can only hit one or two until I'm part of this huge ass caravan traveling from yard sale to yard sale picking over scraps.[/QUOTE]

Sometimes you can get bogged down if you focus on one direction; a lot of times I'll go East and then doubleback West. If I start to see familiar faces I'll spin the compass and hit another part of town.

I'm kind of the opposite of you. The night before I go out, I very strategically enter every yard sale listed into Google Maps, then create a custom map for the week. I plan my routes geographically and based on starting times, as to minimize costs and maximize time. If I do start to see a run of the same people a few sales in a row, I don't let it flinch me. If I stick to my plan I know that I can scour a sale pretty quickly, and I know that I am absolutely more prepared and efficient than 99% of the 'competition'. I find that it's best overall not to criss-cross back and forth across town, IMHO.

Drove an hour or so with a buddy of mine to a "huge indoor garage sale/flea market" event yesterday. Made out pretty well I must say.

Most of the boxed games are kinda beat up, but they're all complete except Wario's Woods (no manual) and Rad Racer (no manual but it has the original 3D glasses :hot:)

IMG_0172.jpg

Paid $15 for the top row at one booth and another $15 for the bottom row. The second guy also had a boxed Super Mario Kart for $5, but he opened it to find no game inside. :wall:

(I had been looking for Shadowgate 64 for quite some time, because I'm a big fan of the NES version. I saw it for $12 loose at one booth. I was really considering buying it there, but I can only imagine how ecstatic I must have looked when finding it CIB for $5 in the next row over! :D)

^^^^ Nice!

BTW I have been catching up on Storage Wars and saw the one where Dave buys a book locker. I wish I could have seen Schulzted's face when he saw that episode.

[quote name='sgaldis']I'm kind of the opposite of you. The night before I go out, I very strategically enter every yard sale listed into Google Maps, then create a custom map for the week. I plan my routes geographically and based on starting times, as to minimize costs and maximize time. If I do start to see a run of the same people a few sales in a row, I don't let it flinch me. If I stick to my plan I know that I can scour a sale pretty quickly, and I know that I am absolutely more prepared and efficient than 99% of the 'competition'. I find that it's best overall not to criss-cross back and forth across town, IMHO.[/QUOTE]

You can do it that way, though often the reason why I criss-cross is to hit as many community sales as possible. I'd rather drive 30 minutes to get another 10-20 houses on foot than to stay on course just to check a few strays.

Yeah, by familiar faces I mean guys with flea market stalls who sell games. :lol: It can seriously cramp your style to ask about games and then get into a bid war, especially over stuff that really isn't worth much.

I say it's always better to ask at low traffic sales, and in any other situation do a quick evaluation of the other customers before asking. A lot of times when treasures are brought out I'll get away from the road and assume a "camped out" posture--allowing me to inspect the goods and not be taken unawares.

Only yard sale news is that I missed a big indoor one today. Sad. :(

Someone even advertised on Craigslist they were going to have a booth with all sorts of video games.

[quote name='SaraAB']Asking doesn't work for me, I have tried it a million times.[/QUOTE]

You've never even had somebody bring out or even mention something you weren't interested in at least, like last gen sports games? I know asking rarely pans out but looking back I'd be doing much worse if I wasn't asking and certain games I've only tripped over when I asked.

[quote name='Indigo_Streetlight']I say it's always better to ask at low traffic sales, and in any other situation do a quick evaluation of the other customers before asking.[/QUOTE]

I pretty much do the same thing, if I see any face I know is a regular seller at the flea market I'll wait till they leave or skip asking. These sellers ain't even really your typical stereotype for a flea market video game reseller, the one guy I've passed on asking in front of used to have old games from time to time that he surely bought at yardsales most likely if they were dirt cheap (one time he had an NES with about 10 games and the box said "$1"! on it which I'm guessing he forgot to take off and is what he paid). I actually liked him grabbing stuff he tripped over since he would sell old cart games for a buck or two.

I also pass on asking in front of any other faces I see at yardsales I know are interested in video games.

[quote name='SaraAB']Asking doesn't work for me, I have tried it a million times. I just end up confusing all the old ladies who ask what video games are. Its winter here, so there are no sales.

I do ask if they seem to have a lot of electronics, or if they look like they are of proper age to own video games, but I don't ask everybody.[/QUOTE]

Im with you, I don't even bother with asking, it never pans out and usually you just get an awkward response. I've pretty much given up on local tag sales honestly, it's just too much work for too little reward when compared to the thrift stores.

Not to belittle anyone here, I've seen people on here make some really amazing finds, but I also see a lot of people post junk that they bought just for the sake of doing so. Just because it's a video game and it's cheap doesn't mean it should be bought. Like the previous poster who paid $30 for some junk 32X, Genesis, and NES games. It's cool if you're a collector who wants to buy games just for the sake of buying them, but you drove an hour, and paid $30 for mostly junk that should have been given away. I would have offered $10 for Wario, Rad Racer, and Shadowgate, and left the rest. Again, just my opinion, YMMV.

[quote name='spmahn']

Not to belittle anyone here, I've seen people on here make some really amazing finds, but I also see a lot of people post junk that they bought just for the sake of doing so. Just because it's a video game and it's cheap doesn't mean it should be bought. Like the previous poster who paid $30 for some junk 32X, Genesis, and NES games. It's cool if you're a collector who wants to buy games just for the sake of buying them, but you drove an hour, and paid $30 for mostly junk that should have been given away. I would have offered $10 for Wario, Rad Racer, and Shadowgate, and left the rest. Again, just my opinion, YMMV.[/QUOTE]

The thought process is: I can cover my costs if I buy "junk" and it is easy to get rid of. I am guilty of buying a lot of junk stuff, but it covers my gas, where I could hit 3 thrift stores in one day and literally come home with nothing.

It all depends on the area, the competition, and the initial supply. People on the coasts should be pulling the best stuff just based on sales volume and population density. I think in the Midwest most people realize the value of a dollar because they tend to have to work more for it.

Technology is a big part of it as well. If I were using a smartphone I would not have as much junk, but I would also be paying- What- $40 /month minimum on a 2yr contract? That is another sunk cost people have to consider when they are looking for the cream of the crop.

I know the post wasn't directed (possibly thinly veiled) at me, but I figured I would play devil's advocate.

Honestly If I lived where some of your guys live, I would have everything you post and probably 20%-30% of what you missed just based on my abilities, time spent, route planning, etc. I just don't know a lot about the value of games, so I buyz whats I seez.

[quote name='slowdive21']The thought process is: I can cover my costs if I buy "junk" and it is easy to get rid of. I am guilty of buying a lot of junk stuff, but it covers my gas, where I could hit 3 thrift stores in one day and literally come home with nothing.

It all depends on the area, the competition, and the initial supply. People on the coasts should be pulling the best stuff just based on sales volume and population density. I think in the Midwest most people realize the value of a dollar because they tend to have to work more for it.

Technology is a big part of it as well. If I were using a smartphone I would not have as much junk, but I would also be paying- What- $40 /month minimum on a 2yr contract? That is another sunk cost people have to consider when they are looking for the cream of the crop.

I know the post wasn't directed (possibly thinly veiled) at me, but I figured I would play devil's advocate.

Honestly If I lived where some of your guys live, I would have everything you post and probably 20%-30% of what you missed just based on my abilities, time spent, route planning, etc. I just don't know a lot about the value of games, so I buyz whats I seez.[/QUOTE]

I wasn't directing my post at anyone here specifically, just using specific examples that I see to explain why it is that I generally find tag sales to be dead ends for collecting and reselling, and a gateway to hoarding, and I don't mean El Hoardo who goes to Target on Monday and cleans out the discount rack for his Amazon Marketplace account, I'm talking A&E Cat Lady hoarding. We all laugh at the freaks they parade on these shows whose houses are full of crap, but I guarantee you in a few years, it'll be one of us on there (not us specifically, but you know what I mean) whose friends have to convince them that it's time to let go of the 800 boxes of video game crap he's bought over the years, and now has a house full of more "stuff" than he'll ever be able to play, watch, or do anything with in a lifetime. Again, I'm not judging, just giving a little insight on my opinions and though process.

There's certainly more to the economics of any situation than just "I paid X for this and sold it for Y, so my profit is Y - X". You need to factor in the cost of gas, the cost of time, the opportunity cost associated with going to tag sales instead of say, working, there's a lot of things that go into it. You need to factor in shipping costs, packaging costs, the amount of time it will take you to flip something, everything has a value associated with it, and I tend to find that with going to tag sales, even when you find the score of all scores, when the dust settles, you've still only broken even, and that's only on a good day.

Having a Smart Phone definitely helps, and while it may be a sunk cost to some, mine is always attached to my hip, and I'd be lost without it, I'm a hopeless junkie. I could probably write an essay on all the things I use my Smartphone throughout the day, and I find the $70 or so a month I pay for my iPhone plan to be worth every penny. While I've been at this game for a long time and generally have a good idea on which items make good flips, and which don't, the iPhone makes the game much easier now. On Wednesday, which is Target clearance day at Goodwill where all the returns or closeouts from Target get put out on the floor. Today at Goodwill, I found a Rapala's Fishing Game set for PS3 for $20 amongst some UDraw Tablet sets for Wii for $35. Using my phone, it took me two seconds to figure out that the PS3 Fishing game would flip on Amazon for around $50, while the UDraw Tablets were a bust only selling for $25 or so, so it makes hard decisions much easier. Totally worth it in the long run, it'll pay for itself.

I definitely agree that location has a lot to do with it. I see a lot of people here in Florida and California that make amazing finds, while here in Connecticut it's generally a bust. I have a friend who spends a lot of time going to tag sales in Fairfield county that are supposedly very lucrative, but it's still not enough for me to quit my day job.

[quote name='spmahn']There's certainly more to the economics of any situation than just "I paid X for this and sold it for Y, so my profit is Y - X". You need to factor in the cost of gas, the cost of time, the opportunity cost associated with going to tag sales instead of say, working, there's a lot of things that go into it. You need to factor in shipping costs, packaging costs, the amount of time it will take you to flip something, everything has a value associated with it, and I tend to find that with going to tag sales, even when you find the score of all scores, when the dust settles, you've still only broken even, and that's only on a good day.[/QUOTE]

Good points here. I just donated a bunch of older pc and genesis stuff that I had no way of testing; it just wasn't worth trying to squeeze $10 out of it when I can sell one Nintendo game and get the same amount. Mistakes happen and you got to know when to let go.

[quote name='spmahn']
Not to belittle anyone here, I've seen people on here make some really amazing finds, but I also see a lot of people post junk that they bought just for the sake of doing so. Just because it's a video game and it's cheap doesn't mean it should be bought. Like the previous poster who paid $30 for some junk 32X, Genesis, and NES games. It's cool if you're a collector who wants to buy games just for the sake of buying them, but you drove an hour, and paid $30 for mostly junk that should have been given away. I would have offered $10 for Wario, Rad Racer, and Shadowgate, and left the rest. Again, just my opinion, YMMV.[/QUOTE]

Excuse me for posting what I bought even though it's not such a great deal... You have to understand that I buy this stuff for my own personal collection. I play every game I buy (yes, even the 32x games) and (with the exception of the pinball cart) it's cheaper for me to buy it there instead of eBay due to the shipping costs. (Also, Shining in the Darkness is far from junk.)

I thought the thread was for me to post my purchases, guess I'm mistaken. Will refrain from posting further unless I start buying NWC carts for $5...

[quote name='C0dy']Excuse me for posting what I bought even though it's not such a great deal... You have to understand that I buy this stuff for my own personal collection. I play every game I buy (yes, even the 32x games) and (with the exception of the pinball cart) it's cheaper for me to buy it there instead of eBay due to the shipping costs. (Also, Shining in the Darkness is far from junk.)

I thought the thread was for me to post my purchases, guess I'm mistaken. Will refrain from posting further unless I start buying NWC carts for $5...[/QUOTE]

I didn't say you were wrong, I said, if you're buying stuff for your own collection, then all the more power to you, that's great. I wasn't judging you or criticizing you, just using your post as an example for my argument. I go to tag sales and pawn shops to make a profit, it's a hobby, yes, but it also puts a little extra change in my pocket. I am generally not a collector, although I do have a soft spot in my heart for NES and SNES, but generally I won't buy something if I can't make money off of it. From my perspective as a reseller, your find was nothing special, there's nothing in that lot that's worth a whole lot, so I would have passed, that's all I am saying. From a collectors perspective, as long as you enjoy your games, that's all that matters. Rad Racer is an all time classic, and Wario's Woods is a forgotten underrated puzzle game. I'm not terribly keen on Genesis RPGs, and I'm not familiar with 32X other than the fact that Knuckles Chaotix and Spiderman are valuable, and most of the games for the system are uncommon. It's cool that people go to tag sales and buy things, it's just not my thing, and I am entitled to that opinion just as much as anyone else.

^Thanks for the clarification and I apologize for the pissy-sounding post. It's just a natural reaction for me because I hate being singled out I guess >_> I know you weren't attempting to offend me or anything but I still kinda took it that way. Sorry.

Anyway, my buddy offered to take me along for that sale so I didn't have to pay gas fees (though obviously I dropped him a few bucks out of courtesy.) I paid about $4.30 per game which is a great deal for me when I'm so used to overpriced retail game shops around here (they want $12 for a loose superman 64 >_>). I understand that to some of you the lot I bought may not be a great deal but it still saved me cash, and hey, isn't that what this site is all about?

bread's done
Back