CAGcast #266: The Incredible Holk

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
[preview][IMG-L=5838]15060[/IMG-L]Cheapy tells Wombat to buy an iPhone and Shipwreck faces the biggest challenge of his Jr. High coaching career.

Get your questions or topics answered on future shows via CAGbag or Twitter.

[podcast]175[/podcast]
Download - 76 minutes, 46MB
iTunes: Subscribe - Review

Support the CAGcast: FREE AUDIBLE 2 WEEK TRIAL & AUDIOBOOK
[/preview]

Show Linkage/Notes:

Intro/Outro: Incredible Hulk Theme

Follow us on Twitter
Cheap Ass Gamer on Facebook
CheapyD's Youtube Videos (Subscribe)
CheapyD's Flickr Page (Subscribe)

Last edited by a moderator:
Shipwreck: "I'm in bed . . . You don't even know what I'm playing my iPhone with."
Cheapy: "Oohh yeeaahh."

:lol:

Have you considered Netflix as a sponsor? I think that would work well for the CAGcast.

For some reason, I can't download this to my iPod over wifi. I search for CAGcast and I get the episode list. The "free" button takes a while to fill in, and when it does, instead of allowing me to download, it keeps doing a streaming version using QT. I just updated my 3GS to iOS 5.0.1 last night. Other podcasts will download no problem, but I don't listen to other podcasts, only the CAGcast. Anyone else running into this problem?

Update: Weird. After trying three times, I typed this message. When I went back, it worked. "Get episode" finally came up when I clicked "free."

If it's that exciting watching fat guys buy old junk then there has to be a market for a video game reality show. Maybe it's collectors competing at flea markets. Maybe it's going through the whole convention process. It could be a couple of small companies getting their apps and downloadable games to market. Somewhere there is a show.

Makes me laugh every time Cheapy makes semi-dirty jokes about Shippy's girls' basketball team and how uncomfortable Shippy gets.

Congrats on being #2 on iTunes. I don't listen to the Rooster Teeth podcasts. They make funny videos but I have no interest in their podcasts.

LOL, somehow I figured Shippy would choose the GI Joe movie before you asked my question.

So I should buy an apple tv so I don't have to turn on my "noisy" game system? So instead of spending 2 1/2 minutes to watch Netflix, I should go out and buy a $100 product to save a minute and a half or so.

And the interface is irrelevant when everything I want to see is currently in the instant que. I guess it'll take an extra 10 seconds to flip through that too.

I don't get the praise for the Apple TV. Even if the noise from a game console is suddenly unbearable(this sounds like an infomercial-style exaggeration to me), there are a dozen other streaming boxes you could choose, that won't lock you down the way appleTV does.

i mean, i get the appeal of appletv for those who have invested a lot into itunes videos, but i don't understand why you'd do THAT either.

amazon vod generally has all the same content, the tv shows are usually $1 cheaper, and you can watch them on any device that has flash(plus MOST of the streaming boxes like roku, boxy, googleTV,etc)

it's been interesting hearing cheapy's gradual apple brainwashing over the past couple years though. suddenly game consoles are unbearably noisy and there's no value in playing fleshed out games with physical controls.

and :lol: @ cheapy judging android and knowing nothing about the platform or what's available for it

CheapyD you should start shilling another company's products, or cereal?

Anyway I would pay an extra $100 for a PS3 or Xbox built in the country. Sure we can bitch and moan about unions and American workmanship, but if having to pay a premium for something that can help our economy, I'm all for it. If we can continue to build cars and car parts here, why not more of our electronics.?

Google TV runs on special Android devices and you can use any android device as a remote.

You can download apps from the android market place on it and all that jazz.

I was thinking of buying one. I love Android. I own a galaxy tab 10.1.

[quote name='detectiveconan16']CheapyD you should start shilling another company's products, or cereal?

Anyway I would pay an extra $100 for a PS3 or Xbox built in the country. Sure we can bitch and moan about unions and American workmanship, but if having to pay a premium for something that can help our economy, I'm all for it. If we can continue to build cars and car parts here, why not more of our electronics.?[/QUOTE]

You might, but adding an extra $100 to the cost of the next Xbox would severely disadvantage Microsoft in the next-gen console battle even if that $100 covered the full cost of moving manufacturing to America (and I bet that it wouldn't be nearly enough).

If you have ever priced a product domestically vs china you realize how the US cannot possibly compete.

For instance I quoted 30,000 Tote Bags (domestic vs china). To produce them in the US would have cost about $13 each, where china was about $1.80 each. Obviously there is a higher shipping cost for the chinese product, but if you have the time you can cut that cost significantly.

With that said. . . i believe it would cost a hell of a lot more than $100 to produce them here.

Wombat, thank you for being the Everyman of the podcast. You are about the only one I relate to these days, and seem to represent those who are still cheap gamers looking for a deal.

I just watched the Christmas special of He-man on Netflix... frankly, Tai is better off never knowing it exists.

Also, yeah, people may not have gotten everything they asked for from Best Buy, but they could have asked their CSRs for credit in full for the deals.

lol @ Wombat's "Apple cock to suck on in your sleep"

I thought Ship would have more love for G1 Transformers, being a G.I. Joe dork.

[quote name='smoger']I don't get the praise for the Apple TV. Even if the noise from a game console is suddenly unbearable(this sounds like an infomercial-style exaggeration to me), there are a dozen other streaming boxes you could choose, that won't lock you down the way appleTV does.

i mean, i get the appeal of appletv for those who have invested a lot into itunes videos, but i don't understand why you'd do THAT either.

amazon vod generally has all the same content, the tv shows are usually $1 cheaper, and you can watch them on any device that has flash(plus MOST of the streaming boxes like roku, boxy, googleTV,etc)

it's been interesting hearing cheapy's gradual apple brainwashing over the past couple years though. suddenly game consoles are unbearably noisy and there's no value in playing fleshed out games with physical controls.

and :lol: @ cheapy judging android and knowing nothing about the platform or what's available for it[/QUOTE]

Aren't you doing the same with AppleTV? But he's right, android sucks. Can't wait to dump my HTC and get an iPhone. Don't be a fool Wombat.

lotta whiners about Cheapy liking Apple. He likes what he likes. He has nothing but praise for Howard Stern too. So what? does it hurt you? - "whaaa, my FREE podcast I get weekly mentions Apple too much, whaa"

Wombat, follow up question to your "I'd pay extra for a U.S. made Xbox or iPad" sentiment. Do you have a foreign car or one built in America? I've heard people make this wish for U.S. made gadgets, then point out they drive a Toyota. There's a difference between what people will say what they'll do and what they'll actually do. [For the record I drive a Dodge made in Illinois.]

[quote name='banodyne']Wombat, follow up question to your "I'd pay extra for a U.S. made Xbox or iPad" sentiment. Do you have a foreign car or one built in America? I've heard people make this wish for U.S. made gadgets, then point out they drive a Toyota. There's a difference between what people will say what they'll do and what they'll actually do. [For the record I drive a Dodge made in Illinois.][/QUOTE]

Good question that I didn't think about. But for the record I drive a Hyundai that believe was built in Alabama.

Wombat, you gotta buy an HTC Trophy Windows Phone on Verizon just to drive Cheapy nuts. The crazy rant after he finds out would be priceless comedy gold.

In all seriousness, good insight pointing out that you haven't bought so much content that's locked to the Apple ecosystem. Most people don't like being tied down to one system. I find it interesting that the Xbox 360 and the PS3 are slowly opening themselves up. At first you had just the Zune and PSN stores. Then they got Netflix. Now they both opened up to video services that aren't tied to a platform. The Vudu , app competes selling and renting videos. It wouldn't surprise anyone if they allowed UltraViolet or Amazon Instant Video in the future.

[quote name='Wombat']Good question that I didn't think about. But for the record I drive a Hyundai that believe was built in Alabama.[/QUOTE]

First, that in itself is weird. For example, of the for models in NASCAR, only the Toyota Camry is built and assembled entirely in the US.

Second, I totally think there needs to be more items made in the US. Unfortunately, the economic factors don't work out. Personally, I wonder if Mexico would be a viable alternative to China as far as manufacturing.

Oh, and I was listening to "Amie" while writing this post.

[quote name='banodyne']
In all seriousness, good insight pointing out that you haven't bought so much content that's locked to the Apple ecosystem. Most people don't like being tied down to one system. [/QUOTE]

Huh? with google you are tied to andriod for apps ( BTW- it's not 2004 anymore you can use any mp3 or .mp4 videos with itunes.)

Is it bad that part of me bought Saints Row: The Third knowing that Cheapy D was going to be a downloadable homie? Seriously I had no interest in this game a few months ago and now I can't get enough of it. So much fun. I was interested to hear Cheapy's thoughts on the game but of course the talk got diverted to Skyrim. Maybe next week (when the Cheapy Homie DLC is released) we'll get to hear Cheapy's thoughts on the game and his character model.

By the way guys, as a new user to netflix I would love if you guys would recommend what you have been watching each week.

Also, Cheapy, please cool it. I love apple too, but Wombat is exactly right you need to stop sucking apple's, well you can guess where I am going with this. I have never had a problem with most of the stuff you say, as I do believe apple products are superior, but come on they have problems too.

-Written from my iMac

Ohio seems like a good location for a live show. I'm only 1.5 hours from Cincinnati... but we are getting 2" of snow today.

By the way, I've never in my life heard "Hulk" said incorrectly. That's living around people that say 'warsh' instead of wash and 'wal-marts' instead of Wal-mart. Odd.

Wombat was really on fire this show, he has always been my favorite member of the crew but I really thought that he was on a role in this show.
Some examples
pointing out that you dont need an apple tv
also I really respect that he said he would pay an extra 100 for an american made xbox I am with him all the way.
and of course I always appreciate the peta bashing. As far as past episodes I always appreciate it that you do not chime in when cheapy glorifies pot smoking . I dont know if you partake or not but i do know kids listen to this show and the positive spin cheapy puts on drug use has always bothered me

I wanted to say your logic for the 10 year cycle is off. Sony said 10 years on the PS2 and they delivered with new games for 10 years. Just because ps3 was out they didn't abandon support for ps2 that is like common knowledge guys.

"Apple cock" good one. You made me laugh sir. But I'm with Cheapy, once you take a bite of the apple, there ain't no going back.

Please get a droid and a roku box just to piss Cheapy off. Also Jason Mewes (Jay & Silent Bob) can't say hulk either. He had a discussion once about who would win in a battle between hawkman and hulk and no one understood what he was saying.

Come on. You really think the Skylanders Figures sold out. You don't think they're intentionally holding them back to create a false demand. Sure it's popular beyond Activision's initial expectations but they can't take that long to produce. My guess is they're going to do a relaunch of sorts including new characters and expansion packs as well as expanding their advertisements/promotions.

[quote name='JAlbertL']Come on. You really think the Skylanders Figures sold out. You don't think they're intentionally holding them back to create a false demand. Sure it's popular beyond Activision's initial expectations but they can't take that long to produce. My guess is they're going to do a relaunch of sorts including new characters and expansion packs as well as expanding their advertisements/promotions.[/QUOTE]

Never attribute to conspiracy what can be explained by incompetence.

[quote name='JAlbertL']Come on. You really think the Skylanders Figures sold out. You don't think they're intentionally holding them back to create a false demand. Sure it's popular beyond Activision's initial expectations but they can't take that long to produce. My guess is they're going to do a relaunch of sorts including new characters and expansion packs as well as expanding their advertisements/promotions.[/QUOTE]

We already know there are more figures and expansion packs coming and it's been known since Day 1. Toys come in waves and Activision underestimated how many they needed to have on the market with the first two waves. The Skylanders figures are sold out. That's a fact and Activision and retailers are missing out on more profits because no one can buy them while they are hot.

I'd actually say once Activision realized the sell-through rates were so high it was near impossible for them to ramp up production. It's not like the manufacturing facilities can just flip a switch and *poof* more Skylanders are on store shelves. These factories have carefully planned out schedules so that they don't have a lot of downtime. The manufacturing plants were more than likely already ramping up to produce the new figures that are scheduled to come out this month.

[quote name='mrx001']I'm getting tired of the Apple shilling from CheapyD.Other than that great show.[/QUOTE]

Me too. It's already made me block the twitter section of the site(which is sad, because I like seeing Wombat's and Shipwreck's tweets), and it's starting to ruin the cagcast for me as well. Comparing everything to an iPhone, and blasting nearly everything without an Apple logo is really starting to get pretty annoying... And I like Apple!

I have to agree with Wombat, no one but Cheapy and ship use Apple TV. I have never seen anyone who has one and the only reason Cheapy loves it is because he is a huge Apple fanboy. Also why the hell would you want to play ios games on your tv when you could playing better games saints row and skyrim. i hope you dont still think iphone games are better for kids than 3DS.

Wombat!! Glad you got Rayman Origins. That game is really good, fun and actually hard and frustrating at times. Fill us in on how you are doing with it? I also think Shipwreck and Mrs. Shipwreck would have a fun time playing it together Co-op! I only think Shipwreck would have the patience of getting all the teeth and maybe unlocking all the skins. Also Wombat... forget the Iphone they get something new! Checkout the Galaxy S2, nexus or anything that besides the iphone. They are fine but the screens are soo Terribly small i cant even stand to look at them anymore.

bread's done
Back