Free Skyrim or Battlefield 3 with purchase of Linksys router at Newegg.com

I have the E4200, not the v2. Great router, bought it when it was released. Can have multiple XBOX's on Live at once. Don't have to mess with opening ports or any extra configuration. Just update the firmware immediatly. Handles my 50mbps Internet speed with no slow down. Excellent signal in my 3,500 sq ft walk out basement home with it in one corner of the basement. Good price even without the free game. Sorry to ramble, just wanted to recommend it.

Great timing. My router has been giving me issues so I was just looking to buy a new one anyway and I had been holding out on Skyrim waiting for the price to go down. Thanks.

[quote name='Smokie99']Need a new router but I won't buy from Newegg with their crappy new pricematch/return policy.[/QUOTE]

Care to share details? I mean, if not, I'll get off my lazy ass and look into it myself, I guess... :p

This is a neat deal, and I could really use a new router (we're working with an N150.), but I am NOT looking to spend that much right now.

Was interested until I clicked through and saw the routers offered.

SPending more than maybe $75 on a home router is hilarious to me.

DD-wrt and $10 if you don't need wireless N.

I agree, DD-WRT is very good!

I'm actually still running an old WRT54G2 v1 with DD-WRT micro. It turned a very mediocre router into an amazing one... it is rock stable; my current up time is 121 days (I had to turn it off to move some hardware around)...

The only reason I would like to upgrade is to get gigabit ports...

Also, I noticed that Amazon has a deal where they give you a $10 gift card if you buy an E-series router... for people that don't need the features of the e4200 and who need to pay tax at newegg, that may be a reasonable deal.

Maybe someone here can help me out. I'm going to be living in a house with 5 people who might all be on the Internet at once. What should I look for in a router to be able to handle this kind of load? It will include streaming movies and music, PS3 online games, and downloading. Any recommendations?

[quote name='kube00']Wow thats a bit pricey for a router[/QUOTE]

because they're high end routers. they're gigabit with dual-band N.

DD-WRT is great for making cheap routers have more functionality. but cheap components are cheap components.

It's like do you buy the Porsche. Or do you supermod your Civic. You can put NOS, cold air intakes, turbos, etc. on a Civic and it's a nice Civic but it's still a Civic.

[quote name='momouchi']Maybe someone here can help me out. I'm going to be living in a house with 5 people who might all be on the Internet at once. What should I look for in a router to be able to handle this kind of load? It will include streaming movies and music, PS3 online games, and downloading. Any recommendations?[/QUOTE]

I second this. I've been running into problems ever since i upgraded my shitty 1.0 connection to a 6.0 simply because my router is messing up when so many people (5 people) use it and it's failing at being able to not cut out due to incoming phone calls (tried everything, the problem is the router nothing else externally) I was about to say, "wow pricey but okay if i must.." but if someone has a suggestion that would work good with AT&T any help or recommendations are welcome. Uses are for everything lol. PS3/360/PCs/Phones etc.

Any linksys for ease of use and reliability will do almost garunteed. I got wrt54gs a loooooooooong time ago now and had at any given time 6+ people using it since it was used for one internet connection over 2 households. The range could be better but it did the entire 2200 square feet of my house+ inlaw apartment. Barely worked at my garage which isnt attached to the house... or even really close to it for that matter.

Linksys is just the best for no bs, easy and "just works".

Just update the firmware and your good.

[quote name='momouchi']Maybe someone here can help me out. I'm going to be living in a house with 5 people who might all be on the Internet at once. What should I look for in a router to be able to handle this kind of load? It will include streaming movies and music, PS3 online games, and downloading. Any recommendations?[/QUOTE]

The router can only do so much, you might want to purchase a speed upgrade for that many people using the internet at once.

In many cases, you'll likely be limited by your internet bandwidth more than your router. Some of the higher end one's have features that prioritize certain packets, which may help... but it won't overcome insufficient bandwidth.

Also, it depends whether you will be using wired or wireless mainly. Overall, probably most of the current generation gigabit/wireless n routers will be fine. From Linksys, the e4200 would work great, but probably the e3200 would be sufficient as well. If you are streaming and transferring stuff locally across your network, gigabit can help this be less painful.

[quote name='BigT']I agree, DD-WRT is very good!

I'm actually still running an old WRT54G2 v1 with DD-WRT micro. It turned a very mediocre router into an amazing one... it is rock stable; my current up time is 121 days (I had to turn it off to move some hardware around)...
[/QUOTE]

You probably already know this, but just a word of warning to anyone looking to put DD-WRT on a WRT54G2. The newer versions (1.5) will not be able to be flashed to DD-WRT. A lot of online stores aren't very clear about which version they are selling, but if you are buying it new at this point it's most likely the newer revision.

You'd probably need to go for a used or refurb one to get the older revisions, but even then I'd make sure I was very clear which version you are getting before you buy it if your intentions are to put DD-WRT on it.

I still have the $20 for $40 thing from Google Offers. Sell skyrim for $45 new.

-$65 = $95 router.

They had this offer in December as well but it also had Saints Row 3. I could use a really nice router.

[quote name='sonicsam']I second this. I've been running into problems ever since i upgraded my shitty 1.0 connection to a 6.0 simply because my router is messing up when so many people (5 people) use it and it's failing at being able to not cut out due to incoming phone calls (tried everything, the problem is the router nothing else externally) I was about to say, "wow pricey but okay if i must.." but if someone has a suggestion that would work good with AT&T any help or recommendations are welcome. Uses are for everything lol. PS3/360/PCs/Phones etc.[/QUOTE]

Call AT&T and find out if your modem is also a modem/router. My Comcast modem was also a router. When I used my own wireless router I had similar problems. When the phone would ring my wireless would stop working. We bridged my modem/router combination and the problem went away. They told me that having 2 routers was causing a conflict. Good luck.

I was thinking about upgrading my old wrt54g (I tried a few years ago, but found out I got better coverage with the old router), but I'm curious about the DD-wrt firmware. I'm a bit noobish when comes to routers in general, so can someone point me to DD for Dummiies...lol.

Is this something that I shouldn't mess with if I'm not sure what I'm doing?

[quote name='alangst']Also,...... Do I need to have a linux system? Currently using windows7.[/QUOTE]

Windows is fine. But if you don't know what you're doing, the additional options you are given will make no sense.

If your unsure of what you're doing I would suggest staying away from dd-wrt. Also your OS doesn't matter your router will either come with it pre-loaded or you have to flash your router to install it. If your confident enough to flash your router and want something simpler then dd-wrt you could take a look at tomato, but make sure your router is compatible before you do either. That being said I run dd-wrt on my router and love it.

I have the WRT54G for a few years now. Now only wi-fi things can connect to it. The matching adapters i have for PC won't connect USB and a PCI port adapter. Pretty sure that signal kicked the dust and only wi-fi connections work with it now. So I'm pretty much in the market for a router. Everyone I know,knows i need one also.

But yeah this deal sucks. I knew when I checked it out the routers would be marked up to get a triple A game for free like that.

[quote name='needler420']But yeah this deal sucks. I knew when I checked it out the routers would be marked up to get a triple A game for free like that.[/QUOTE]

Marked up? This router (e4200) never goes on sale. Try and find it for cheaper than $160. This deal was offered last month also and is still the closest thing there has been to sale on the e4200. The v2 just came out so good luck finding it cheaper for the $200 Newegg is charging.

Do some research before you spout off with nonsense.

[quote name='SteveGo']Marked up? This router (e4200) never goes on sale. Try and find it for cheaper than $160. This deal was offered last month also and is still the closest thing there has been to sale on the e4200. The v2 just came out so good luck finding it cheaper for the $200 Newegg is charging.

Do some research before you spout off with nonsense.[/QUOTE]

I don't care if it came out yesterday its a horrible deal even with the game.:hot: No need to spend $150+ on a router.

[quote name='alangst']I was thinking about upgrading my old wrt54g (I tried a few years ago, but found out I got better coverage with the old router), but I'm curious about the DD-wrt firmware. I'm a bit noobish when comes to routers in general, so can someone point me to DD for Dummiies...lol.

Is this something that I shouldn't mess with if I'm not sure what I'm doing?[/QUOTE]

There's a chance to brick your router, but if it's a $20 router... that's not that big of a risk. Also, if you do it correctly, it should go fine.

For the wrt54g, there were many different models. The specific firmware that you can use depends on whether you have 2MB or 4MB of flash rom on your router.

Basically, the following wiki provides instructions:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/WRT54G

Here's a general thread on the forums that gives some tips:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=51486

You should also search for your particular router model on those forums as well, as most of them have their own threads.

Anyone considering this deal might want to look into the Linksys e3000. That also has the dual WiFi radios, and the processor and RAM are identical to the e4200. The only difference is the e4200 has 16MB of flash versus 8MB in the e3000. The e4200 also has three internal antennas per radio versus two per radio in the e3000.

You can get a refurbished e3000 from Newegg for $50 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833124419

Throw Tomato USB on it and you have an awesome router. I have used DD-WRT for at least the last 6-7 years. But when I recently purchased an e3000 I decided to give Tomato a try. It didn't have the hotspot features of DD-WRT which are used to setup WiFi like at a coffee shop, but for home use it does everything normal user would need and is much easier to configure than DD-WRT.

So for $10 more than a e4200 you can get a refurbished e3000 with Battlefield 3 and Skyrim.

For anyone looking - this is not a deal! The 4200 series is overpriced for what it is and you can NOT put custom firmware, like DD-WRT or Tomato on it. Just read the reviews on Newegg.
I second the recommendation for refurbished e3000 with Tomato on top. Can't beat the $50 price tag and still have plenty of money for games and stuff.

[quote name='netscorer']For anyone looking - this is not a deal! The 4200 series is overpriced for what it is and you can NOT put custom firmware, like DD-WRT or Tomato on it. Just read the reviews on Newegg.
I second the recommendation for refurbished e3000 with Tomato on top. Can't beat the $50 price tag and still have plenty of money for games and stuff.[/QUOTE]

You can custom firmware and tomato a stinky old $50 router all you want and an entire family will still not be able to game on it at once. It will choke.

This is a good deal.

[quote name='InvaderZim']You can custom firmware and tomato a stinky old $50 router all you want and an entire family will still not be able to game on it at once. It will choke.

This is a good deal.[/QUOTE]

The e4200 v1 and e3000 have the same processor and same ram... I'm pretty sure that it would be sufficient for almost all gamers' needs...

Get this deal if you want that router...and not for the games. Wireless N has gotten so cheap I wouldn't want to pay more than $20 ~ $30 if I suddenly had to replace my current belkin.

[quote name='InvaderZim']You can custom firmware and tomato a stinky old $50 router all you want and an entire family will still not be able to game on it at once. It will choke.

This is a good deal.[/QUOTE]

Define choke. 4200 series is incapable of proper QoS support and has been reported to not work well under high load (Torrents). All of that is a limitation of Cisco firmware but since you can not change it for something remotely capable, you are in a tough luck. So if this is your definition of choking, then 4200 series is a true choker.
All the 4200 has going for it is tri-band Wi-Fi antennas that can mitigate some overcrowded wireless space, but in my experience my 3200 dual-band router is fully capable of supporting 7 concurrent wireless devices connected and streaming from it at the same time. If this is not enough, then yeah - go ahead and spend extra $100 for that third band.

I am using a Netgear el cheapo router that may be the first one they ever made that supported wireless g. I think I paid $10 for it on clearance. My household regularly runs, without issue, three Xbox, one Wii, and one PS3 simultaneously, in addition to three always connected computers and another four laptops, plus several wireless-connected cellphones and a Sprint Airrave (yes, 6 people under my roof, and lots of random tech). I generally have to reset the router about once every two or three months.

I'll pass on paying $150 for a router...

I would bite on this but I'm still content with my Linksys WRT54GL flashed with DD-WRT. Though if I was gonna replace this router I'd be more inclined to get an ASUS RT N16 and flash it with TomatoUSB.

[quote name='Mugatu']One thing to keep in mind is the new brute force WPS method for breaking into Wifi. Linksys is one of the vendors who do not allow you to actually turn off WPS so someone nearby with a few hours to kill can break into your network.

http://lifehacker.com/5873407/how-to-crack-a-wi+fi-networks-wpa-password-with-reaver[/QUOTE]
You guys saying that the E4200v2 is vulnerable, do you know this for certain or are you just just going with past experiences? I found this on the Cisco forums.

[quote name='SteveGo']Marked up? This router (e4200) never goes on sale. Try and find it for cheaper than $160. This deal was offered last month also and is still the closest thing there has been to sale on the e4200. The v2 just came out so good luck finding it cheaper for the $200 Newegg is charging.

Do some research before you spout off with nonsense.[/QUOTE]

$139.99 in an Amazon deal last month. And $20 gift card at Newegg now. But yeah, never.

Linksys is shit. I used to own the wrt ones and a few days after torrenting, the damn router would overload. Custom firmwares wont even help. Everytime this happens i had to unplug the damn thing and then replug it. Bought a cheap $50 or so netgear and it was 100 times better. Currently using my motorola cable modem router and it works flawless.

[quote name='ChunLiBarbie']For those of you in need of a router, get the Linksys Wireless N and call it a day. My internet is fast as lightning and this router can keep up.

$39.97 and $3 for a 1 year warranty at WalMart. I bought mine instore.
http://walmart.com/ip/Cisco-Linksys-Wireless-N-Router-WRT120N/12538152[/QUOTE]

I have this router (or a very similar model, I'm not home to check) and the wireless just goes sometimes....

It will work for a while. Then if I try and connect with a laptop it will see the network but be unable to connect until I restart the router. Any ideas?

bread's done
Back