Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning Thread

chubbyninja1319

CAGiversary!
There is next to no chat about this game on teh interwebz, so I figured I'd try to get a dialogue going here. They're saying it's a mix of Fable, Skyrim and God of War and there are a few 30 minute preview vids out there.

This game caught my attention before, but really grabbed me with the Mass Effect promo tie-in. So, anyone else interested? Is this a "heck yeah, I'm buying it" game or "eh, wait and see?" I think I'm buying it but the demo on 1/17 will decide it for me.

Machima preview:
http://youtu.be/OxKEwgCR1CY

OXM preview (1st 30 minutes of the game w/ intro cinematics):
http://youtu.be/5HgskvNFb2E

Official Site:
http://reckoning.amalur.com/en/ag

I'm definitley going to check it out after the me3 tie-in. This is an EA published game as well so that actually was a smart move for the company and something that others should do to promote similar games. They sure do have an all-star cast working on the story and I am a sucker for a good story in a video game.

Game looks like it could be amazing...and with the demo out I am going to try it out...but unless someone offers some sort of pre-order price deal...like neweggs 48 bucks...or amazon's 10 bucks credit I will wait...

i just played the demo and it feels and looks like a Fable ripoff. This is just another generic action-rpg with limited level design and gameplay is just button mashing. You cant even link sword and fire combo attacks together. EA dissapoints again!!

[quote name='snakemaster2389']i just played the demo and it feels and looks like a Fable ripoff. This is just another generic action-rpg with limited level design and gameplay is just button mashing. You cant even link sword and fire combo attacks together. EA dissapoints again!![/QUOTE]

Considering it is being build as the game Fable was SUPPOSED to be of course it feels like Fable. I am not sure what you were expecting it to be. I dont think the action part of it is as polished as Fable but the game itself seems a lot deeper.

For $47 I think this will be a good game to keep me occupied until.. um well I guess there arent any good games on the horizon until xmas.

I have been really looking forward to this game for some time. I tried the demo and was not impressed with the visuals. The gameplay footage on youtube and gametrailers looked more fluid.

Hmm... midway through the demo and when my biggest complaints so far are the dated menu interfaces and bows not being primary weapons that's the sign of a worthwhile RPG in my book. I wish they had included an actual stat screen though or at least made one for equipment bonuses so I wouldn't have to check every individual piece to keep track. Otherwise I'm probably going to day one this game. Thank God because I'm sick of everything else I'm interested in being delayed or months away from release.

Just finished the demo, seems pretty cool. I picked up some kinda sceptre that rapid fired magic, that made killing baddies real easy.

Just played the demo. I'm torn. It's certainly "my type" of game. Combat is very satisfying, even though it is a little button-mashey at first. The graphics are acceptable, but I do like the fantasy themed environments. Gearing up and item management is good. The story seems very good, too. It seems like there will be a lot of piddly fetch quests, which I'm honestly starting to grow tired of in RPG's.

There's definitely a LOT to like here. But, I'm not compelled to buy it. I saw this going one of three ways:

1) It sucks = no buy and move along
2) I love it! Go order the limited edition right quick!
or
3) I'm digging it, but I have a full backlog now. So I'll get it on the cheap, maybe in the summer.

With that, I've landed at option #3. There wasn't anything that special in the limited edition anyway.

The biggest problem I had with the demo was the damn menus. I mean, it's a deep game and there are lots of areas to look at, but every time I get a new weapon I want to equip I have to dig down 3 levels to get to where I want, and then pore through a list of crap. Maybe there's a faster way to do that (or a hot swap button for "equip this now") but I didn't see it. Combat was fun, I suppose you could just button mash but the same could be said for a lot of games. I had fun combining magic, bow attacks and my daggers. Blocking GoW-style giving you a combat boost is always welcome as it rewards timing, and I thought the enemy variety was interesting. Particularly the wolves, how they jump at you and past. Lots and lots of stuff to find in the world.

I won't be getting it right away, because I have way too much to play, but I will definitely pick it up down the road.

Downloading the demo now. I am excited for this game because well I was about done with Skyrim and I needed a game to last me till Mass Effect 3. Plus the whole combat seems like a great idea, and while it is a bit button mashy, it's kinda what I want because I still want to play an RPG but I also want something with a little more action to it.

Not too worried about the shitty menus since I am playing on PC and well someone will fix them.

Meh, I found it to be just okay. I only played it to unlock the items in Mass Effect 3, but I don't see myself buying this game. There was no polish to it. Kind of glitchy too, characters kept disappearing and weird textures would appear out of nowhere.

As far as the gun for ME3 you can unlock for "completing" the demo, do you have to fart around for the whole 45 minute time limit to get it?

[quote name='SteveGo']Meh, I found it to be just okay. I only played it to unlock the items in Mass Effect 3, but I don't see myself buying this game. There was no polish to it. Kind of glitchy too, characters kept disappearing and weird textures would appear out of nowhere.

As far as the gun for ME3 you can unlock for "completing" the demo, do you have to fart around for the whole 45 minute time limit to get it?[/QUOTE]

Haha, thats the only reason Ill be playing ME3 demo, for the bonus items that unlock in KAO :p

I agree with the glitches, hopefully that is just in the demo and not in the final game. At one point the guy I was talking to didnt have a head.

Tried the demo and I like the game. I mean sure it does nothing really brand new to the RPG genre, but I think it's a good time. Plus I like how the game rewards you for how you want to play. So if I want to play a combination of classes, it allows me to without feeling like I am going to be underpowered.

Played for the free DLC items, stuck around for the fun.

[quote name='chubbyninja1319']
or
3) I'm digging it, but I have a full backlog now. So I'll get it on the cheap, maybe in the summer.
[/QUOTE]

#3 for me.

Still playing Skyrim, and haven't even opened up Batman AC & Saints 3.

Plus I gotta prepare my body for virtual orgasmic rape 3.

Played the 360 demo for 2 hours and barely touched the 45 minutes of free roam. I really liked it and will keep my Amazon pre-order.

I don't get the big hang up on the graphics? Yeah, it looks like a mix of WoW and Fable. Not a bad thing in my book. Every RPG doesn't have to have dingy, gritty and realistic graphics. Were people complaining that Dragon Age 2 looked outdated? keep in mind that you are playing a demo that is supposedly several months old.

A deep character customization system, loot aplenty, fun combat, a interesting story and decent graphics = buy for me. I too have a HUGE backlog, but will make room for this one.

[quote name='SteveGo']As far as the gun for ME3 you can unlock for "completing" the demo, do you have to fart around for the whole 45 minute time limit to get it?[/QUOTE]

Does anyone know the answer to this? Do you have to play the full 45 minute timer. I didn't as I had enough time with the game to see that it was very good.

I just got to much of a backlog to buy it on release at $60 (drop it to $40 or lower and I'm in though). Great combat style, not a lock on system, but worked very well and super responsive. Not much into the story, but I've never been one for RPGs and story.

Edit: Nevermind, found the answer on IGN. http://www.ign.com/wikis/mass-effect-3/Kingdoms_of_Amalur_Crossover_Content

Last edited by a moderator:
Playing through the demo and the game is failing to grab me, although the combat was pretty fun. Glad to get the ME3 bonus items but I think I'll pass on Amalur.

I will pick this up at some point. I would like to get the 200 dollar special edition however I have no place to put the statue that comes with it. I will hold off on this game till I get used to the work hours I'm on and my backlog is gone. At that time I should be at a place that has more room to set that stuff out. At that time I will look for the Special edition on eBay and if I can get it for the right price I will. If I can't then I will just buy the damn game. I just don't see nothing from the demo to make me rush out and buy it at this time.

Played it a bit more and have a more favorable impression than my graphics criticisms.

Gameplay is pretty tight. I do see a lot of visual bugs (mostly when I do special attacks), and my x360 has froze up 4 times while playing. I think I will wait for reviews and pass on a pre-order.

[quote name='chubbyninja1319']Just played the demo. I'm torn. It's certainly "my type" of game. Combat is very satisfying, even though it is a little button-mashey at first. The graphics are acceptable, but I do like the fantasy themed environments. Gearing up and item management is good. The story seems very good, too. It seems like there will be a lot of piddly fetch quests, which I'm honestly starting to grow tired of in RPG's.

There's definitely a LOT to like here. But, I'm not compelled to buy it. I saw this going one of three ways:

or

With that, I've landed at option #3. There wasn't anything that special in the limited edition anyway.[/QUOTE]

Kinda where I am at. It hits so many of the spots I typically dig, but in an overall generic sort of way. It advertises itself as open-world, but its really just an improved infinity engine imo. No jumping, one way paths thru large "zones", loading screens, etc. does not equate to seamless open world. Plus, as mentioned in my previous post, game freezes on xbox regularly also there are audio and visual glitches. Solid first effort!

I may pick up Skyrim and wait for Amalur to drop.

It seems that the general consensus looking at multiple boards is that most people think Amalur has a ton of potential, but the demo was ultimately a let down and people will hold off on buying. It's interesting that they released a demo so early, which seems to say that they're proud of the game. I wonder if the more negative than expected buzz will actually hurt sales for the game, and in turn, drop the price.

Either way, I have plenty of things to play and not enough time. I'm trying to get the last bit of my backlog done by the time ME3 releases, and I figure once I finish with that come mid-April, Amalur will be ~$30 somewhere, and patches by that point should fix any of the major bugs.

I really liked the demo and had fun but at the same time I don't feel it's a game worth $60. I'd probably consider it around the $30-40 mark.

I really enjoyed the demo, felt like a single player WoW game, I think I am picking it up now for sure

Now that I've played on all three platforms (Silver member) I can see why some are coming away from the 360 demo unimpressed by the graphics; the bloom/blur/post-processing is out of control in the 360 version and everything looks generally muddy.

But that also has me worried for the PS3 version as at least on PC you can turn the vaseline crap off whereas, if that's their intent on consoles, we are in for a pretty eye-straining experience. (I, admittedly, can't stand the overuse of that stuff though)

The biggest question I have concerning this game is: Will there be a "Bloody Sock" charm or other equitable item? And if there will be exactly how bad ass will you become upon equipping it?

I played the demo last night. It was pretty enjoyable though, I wish they based it later in the game so you could use a bunch of combos instead of getting that part of the combat system right at the end.

It does seem kinda dated but Its not like western rpgs are the predominate genre on the major consoles right now. As long as it isn't terrible I will pick it up at some point when it gets about half off or so.

looks like I need to get a big USB stick to hold the demo for this and ME3. How big of one can be used on the 360 again? My HD is literally down to about 6MB with installed games...

[quote name='nasum']looks like I need to get a big USB stick to hold the demo for this and ME3. How big of one can be used on the 360 again? My HD is literally down to about 6MB with installed games...[/QUOTE]16GB is as big as it can use.

Plenty of sub-$20 16GB USB sticks on NewEgg.

Decided to pick this up. Trade in credit and Amazon rewards CC credit made this a $23 purchase. I could potentially recover that with the Amazon's specific DLC if I decide to sell it off.

The previews have been surprisingly and unanimously positive. I thought the demo was okay. I think this'll be a summer pick up for me. It has a lot of potential, but with Alan Wake and Mass Effect 3 coming......my deck must be cleared for a few months!

I haven't played the 45 minutes of free roam yet, but so far I really liked what I played. Basically take the conversation tree of Dragon Age and tack it onto Fable III type gameplay. Basically what I wanted DA and Fable to be since the combat of one is too involved and the conversation of the other is too limited.

I'll get this in the summer when it hits $30ish for sure.

Based on all the replies in this thread so far, it seems like a monstrous pity that they chose to release an old demo.

I will wait for reviews, but from what I played, I really enjoyed the combat system. Linking a great sword into a Long sword and back into a great sword was just too much fun.

It's almost definitely going to get a large majority of very positive reviews. OXM gave it an
and for the negatives said
blacksmithing isnt very valueable, the story was good but couldve been better, and theres some repetitive quests.

Also IGN previews have been very positive. Theyve been heaping praise on the combat and on one of the podcasts they said the game was very very good. The IGN review will be up on the 3rd and I'd be shocked if they give it anything under an 8.5. I'm honestly expecting a 9.0 or so from the way they've been talking about it.

And here is gamesradars article on 5 things KoA does better than Skyrim.

I would assume that it's on EA's servers with all that authentication jazz.

Decided to try a completely different class and race for a 2nd go at the 45 minutes. Straight mage with little to no physical. Much fun though you're hampered by little to no starting skills. I'm debating my price point on this game...

[quote name='iNFiNiTE HORiZON']does anyone know if its safe to delete the demo? like, will I lose all the stuff I unlocked (ie Gears of War 3 beta) for KoA:R and Mass Effect 3?[/QUOTE]

It's safe to delete the demo provided you already have an EA account that's linked to the gamer tag you used to download and play it. The unlocks are present and accounted for in registered game content page of your BSN profile. The demo should have tried to rope you into signing up for one when it started anyway.

I'm kinda disappointed. I enjoyed the action scenes but got lost in free roam. I'm really wanting to see this succeed. I love r.a. Salvatore's works. It didn't wow me though. Kinda thinking this is a 30.00 clearance game for me. I didn't mind the graphics and the fighting system. Music was ok. Some of missions were cool. I liked the wolf that had been turned into man. Noticed alot of glitches though. Hopefully they have been polishing this up. If it releases like it is this will drop like a rock.

I just posted this in the KoA:R Newegg/TRU price match thread in the Deals section:

Just a note to those interested in the special edition, I tried to order the $80 version for the 360 earlier today. It wouldn't let me, said "please remove the item from your cart and resubmit your order".....thus, my cart would be empty and nothing there for me to order. I emailed CS and they said "that means we reached our limit of preorders, sorry".

For the heck of it, I tried again a couple times throughout the day and same result. I just tried again, one last ditch effort, and it worked! I must have grabbed one of the last copies of the special edition for the 360! IF you are interested, might want to act fast.

I still don't know if it's worth $90 (after shipping), but the resale value alone seems to be there if you're on the fence.

[quote name='chubbyninja1319']I just posted this in the KoA:R Newegg/TRU price match thread in the Deals section:

Just a note to those interested in the special edition, I tried to order the $80 version for the 360 earlier today. It wouldn't let me, said "please remove the item from your cart and resubmit your order".....thus, my cart would be empty and nothing there for me to order. I emailed CS and they said "that means we reached our limit of preorders, sorry".

For the heck of it, I tried again a couple times throughout the day and same result. I just tried again, one last ditch effort, and it worked! I must have grabbed one of the last copies of the special edition for the 360! IF you are interested, might want to act fast.

I still don't know if it's worth $90 (after shipping), but the resale value alone seems to be there if you're on the fence.
__________________[/QUOTE]

I have been fighting buying this too and finally decided to bite. The store says that only the highest priced edition has sold out. According to the stores facebook page they released a few more copies yesterday. I ordered the 200 and 80 flavor editions, hoping to sell one for a profit. Crossing my fingers. :)

bread's done
Back