- - - - -

Is this the revolution controller?

#1 Snake2715   Gotta Have Your Toys... CAGiversary!   8551 Posts   Joined 14.6 Years Ago  

Posted 11 April 2005 - 01:48 PM

Controller pic:

http://img.photobuck...eswithhandl.jpg

"Novint announced our development of the first haptic interface device to bring interactive 3D touch to the consumer market at the prestigous DEMO@15 conference in February The device which is called the Novint Falcon, is designed to retail for under $100 in mass market volumes and enables people to experience a realistic sense of touch on their PC, transforming how they play and interact."

now before you say no...
watch the VIDEO
its about 5 min and shows some demos and people using it

LINK: http://www.demo.com/...ideo/novint.asx

After watching this and thinking about some of the things Nintendo has said a few alarms have been set off. First off, hasn't Miyamoto been quoted that he's working on games that you can feel? Also, although the source is of a questionable nature, it was said that someone at Nintendo said "touching is good, but feeling is better!" Another thing to notice is the lack of Dpad and (unless I'm missing something) face buttons. It certainly appears simple, which is what Iwata is stressing for the next gen, and it could certainly be used for some unique types of games that haven't been done before.

The last thing to mention is that at the end of the video he mentions that they have several "gaming partners" to help make this mainstream.

Now, this could be way off or completely wrong even. But this is certainly something to think about."

I had pulled this from another board. Its interesting to say the least. I remember reading about "opening a door in zelda and just reaching out to open it, instead of pushing a button"

So it may not be the actual controller but maybe one of these types of controllers will be available with each system kind of like teh light guns used to be?
-Josh

Posted Image
-courtesy of onetrackmind-

TRADE LIST

#2 mtxbass1   This space for rent. CAGiversary!   11092 Posts   Joined 14.6 Years Ago  

Posted 11 April 2005 - 02:32 PM

pulled from gamefaqs? I think that's your answer right there.

#3 epobirs   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   8513 Posts   Joined 14.2 Years Ago  

Posted 11 April 2005 - 02:35 PM

A smaller image would be helpful.
If I thought I needed to get out in the sunshine I'd play Boktai.

#4 evilmax17   Yardsaling CAG CAGiversary!   7480 Posts   Joined 15.0 Years Ago  

Posted 11 April 2005 - 02:36 PM

I can't watch the video, do you wear that on your head?
Posted Image
Posted Image

#5 epobirs   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   8513 Posts   Joined 14.2 Years Ago  

Posted 11 April 2005 - 02:37 PM

Look here: http://www.novint.com/

Rather expensive for the default controller on a game console.

#6 screwkick   \m/ CAGiversary!   2361 Posts   Joined 13.6 Years Ago  

Posted 11 April 2005 - 02:42 PM

Looks more like a headset than a game controller.

#7 Snake2715   Gotta Have Your Toys... CAGiversary!   8551 Posts   Joined 14.6 Years Ago  

Posted 11 April 2005 - 02:45 PM

ok,

how do I make the picture smaller? I will just post the picture link for the time being.

Secondly they stated in teh video it will be marketed mass market and also they have already partnered with gaming companies to get it mass market.
-Josh

Posted Image
-courtesy of onetrackmind-

TRADE LIST

#8 epobirs   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   8513 Posts   Joined 14.2 Years Ago  

Posted 11 April 2005 - 02:49 PM

ok,

how do I make the picture smaller? I will just post the picture link for the time being.

Secondly they stated in teh video it will be marketed mass market and also they have already partnered with gaming companies to get it mass market.

A $100 controller is considered mass market for PCs. Recall the pricey force feedback sticks from CH and Microsoft?

I'd be very wary of a really cheap version of this. I've had some experience with the $1,000 version (for 3D modeling and such) and even that made you worry about its durability.

#9 Rynoceros   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   51 Posts   Joined 13.4 Years Ago  

Rynoceros

Posted 11 April 2005 - 02:51 PM

That video is pretty interesting.. it's not too far of a stretch to say that Nintendo is going to incorporate this technology into their Revolution plans.

#10 Dunvane   The Diddler CAGiversary!   399 Posts   Joined 13.5 Years Ago  

Posted 11 April 2005 - 03:10 PM

They already announced that the Revolution will be backwards compatible... thus, either the Revolution controller *must* be reminescent of a gamecube one enough to work for both, or they've got an entirely different set of controller ports.

Who knows.

#11 sansfreud   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   102 Posts   Joined 14.6 Years Ago  

sansfreud

Posted 11 April 2005 - 03:13 PM

yeah, but using a radically different controller from the ps3 and xbox2 would scare away whatever 3rd party support nintendo has left. i think that's exactly the opposite of what they want to accomplish.
Please excuse my lurking!!

#12 Wshakspear   Worst. Post. Ever. CAGiversary!   5610 Posts   Joined 15.1 Years Ago  

Wshakspear

Posted 11 April 2005 - 03:35 PM

yeah, but using a radically different controller from the ps3 and xbox2 would scare away whatever 3rd party support nintendo has left. i think that's exactly the opposite of what they want to accomplish.

The system will be backwards compatible. That info right there shows that it will be able to play modern video games.

Im surprised at how many people see stuff like this and don't get a sense of wonderment, but get very agitated and annoyed that someone is trying something different. I HOPE that this demo and the previous "real life VR" tech demos have something to do with the revolution...it just looks FUN.

EDIT: "Among the most interesting, MDA of Canada unveiled two breakthroughs: a three-dimensional "Ice Camera" used to determine when to de-ice a plane, and a 3D Instant Scene Modeler that can create three-dimensional images and serve such diverse purposes as mining, architecture, crime solving — and as background for 3D video games."

That was from the USA today link on thier site...that closely describes what that other demo was

#13 Ecofreak   That's Ah Bingo!!! CAGiversary!   4109 Posts   Joined 14.2 Years Ago  

Posted 11 April 2005 - 03:54 PM

Really interesting stuff, although I thought Nintendo would make their controller in house. Kudos to innovation! Boo hoo to people who don't like taking risks.
[thread=49233]Trade List[/thread]

#14 greydemise   Forever Furby CAGiversary!   2866 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

greydemise

Posted 11 April 2005 - 04:00 PM

likes like some medieval torture device
xbl: Lucky Furby

i rock your face.

#15 MorPhiend   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3790 Posts   Joined 14.5 Years Ago  

Posted 11 April 2005 - 04:33 PM

Wow. That is amazing. I think that Nintendo has something that cool for us, but I'm not going to say that this is exactly it. I guess that we'll see in about five weeks...

#16 MorPhiend   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3790 Posts   Joined 14.5 Years Ago  

Posted 11 April 2005 - 04:39 PM

The system will be backwards compatible. That info right there shows that it will be able to play modern video games.

Im surprised at how many people see stuff like this and don't get a sense of wonderment, but get very agitated and annoyed that someone is trying something different. I HOPE that this demo and the previous "real life VR" tech demos have something to do with the revolution...it just looks FUN.

EDIT: "Among the most interesting, MDA of Canada unveiled two breakthroughs: a three-dimensional "Ice Camera" used to determine when to de-ice a plane, and a 3D Instant Scene Modeler that can create three-dimensional images and serve such diverse purposes as mining, architecture, crime solving — and as background for 3D video games."

That was from the USA today link on thier site...that closely describes what that other demo was

Yeah, imagine if the Revolution incorporated a gyroscopic controller, augmented reality and this cool thing, all in the same console. That would be good times. I think that people complain because they have no imagination, or they are fanboys of another company who only want the best things for "their" system...:roll:

#17 JAMMR   Banned Banned   1254 Posts   Joined 14.2 Years Ago  

Posted 11 April 2005 - 04:43 PM

That controller is missing the hideous purple balls from the "howstuffworks" article. It's all about the purple balls (read: reason why feeling is better).
This signature tastes like burning.
I can do the frug. I can do the Robocop.

The Second Coming of AllAdvantage

#18 Wshakspear   Worst. Post. Ever. CAGiversary!   5610 Posts   Joined 15.1 Years Ago  

Wshakspear

Posted 11 April 2005 - 05:27 PM

NEW! Virtual turn-and-cough!

#19 CouRageouS  

Posted 11 April 2005 - 05:35 PM

Very interesting, I could very well see N going with some sort of controller like that as an included extra for their exclusive games, but definately not the standard controller. They will need to have some sort of standard controller so non-Gamecube owners can take advantage of the backwards compatibility and for multi-platform titles.

I could see the standard controller as being almost the same as the GC controller with minor tweaks/additions such as the addition of a z-type button on the left and a screen (not touch screen) to have FF:CC type menus/displays for their games. That way on multi-platform titles the Rev can have a bit of an extra incentive to pick up that version for mult-platform owners. The controller ports would have to also be the same as the GCs, that way they don't alienate the people who have 4 of their beloved Wavebirds and they can continue to have Bongo games.

#20 guessed   Newbie CAGiversary!   8482 Posts   Joined 14.8 Years Ago  

Posted 11 April 2005 - 06:01 PM

That is a very cool controller, but I don't think it has anything to do with the Nintendo Revolution.

I do think that controller could either help revolutionize how we use computers, or it could be a huge flop. Either way, I will probably get one. It all depends on what developers they team up with. I am very excited about the prospect of using one of those with 3D Studio Max, and the possibility of a 3D Desktop has some promise as well.

#21 GTmaster39   Wes Wes Ya'll CAGiversary!   1188 Posts   Joined 14.5 Years Ago  

GTmaster39

Posted 15 April 2005 - 04:53 AM

Hopefully this is a better picture for everyone.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Support NGAME.TV / Made a permanent switch to Ubuntu...Feels Good Man.

#22 epobirs   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   8513 Posts   Joined 14.2 Years Ago  

Posted 15 April 2005 - 10:55 AM

That is a very cool controller, but I don't think it has anything to do with the Nintendo Revolution.

I do think that controller could either help revolutionize how we use computers, or it could be a huge flop. Either way, I will probably get one. It all depends on what developers they team up with. I am very excited about the prospect of using one of those with 3D Studio Max, and the possibility of a 3D Desktop has some promise as well.

They've been commerically available for use with all the major 3D modeling and animation programs for nearly a decade. The only thing that have changed was the price and severity of the system requirements. The first time I tried a device from this company ( http://www.sensable.com/index.asp ) the RAM needed was a gigabyte back when 512 MB was regarded as high end and the most many motherboards would support.

#23 Quackzilla   who am i? CAGiversary!   6050 Posts   Joined 14.5 Years Ago  

Quackzilla

Posted 04 May 2005 - 06:11 PM

I remember reading about "opening a door in zelda and just reaching out to open it, instead of pushing a button"

I don't know about anyone else, but I buy games to play games, and I have perfectly good doorknobs in my house for when I want to have the experience of opening a door.