Cheap Good platforming games for kids

schuerm26

CAGiversary!
Feedback
122 (99%)
Any suggestions?

We have played the Marios, Donkey Kong, Kirby (your normal Nintendo fare).

Looking for others I might have missed that my kids would like.

We just picked up Klonoa yesterday and they really like it.

[quote name='schuerm26']Any suggestions?

We have played the Marios, Donkey Kong, Kirby (your normal Nintendo fare).

Looking for others I might have missed that my kids would like.

We just picked up Klonoa yesterday and they really like it.[/QUOTE]

I highly recommend Wario Land: Shake It! and you should be able to get it cheap.

Cloudy with a chance of meatballs is a good platformer, even though its a movie game. It can be found cheaply these days so it shouldn't be too much of a waste even if its hated.. Also Phineas and Ferb for the WIi is a good platformer.

Rayman Origins blows away every game mentioned in this thread(yes even over the Marios, Kongs and Kirbys). :)

Also, not a platformer, but Skylanders is a blast and does have some platforming in it.

Seconding de Blob. It's a Katamari-style game at heart, but has a good deal of platforming.

Also, Sonic Colors is great. There's some potentially frustrating bits in the later levels, but the same is true for any decent Sonic game.

[quote name='SaraAB']Cloudy with a chance of meatballs is a good platformer, even though its a movie game. It can be found cheaply these days so it shouldn't be too much of a waste even if its hated.. Also Phineas and Ferb for the WIi is a good platformer.[/QUOTE]

Definitely. I forgot about Meatballs. They did play that and really liked it. The two player on it is nicely done for a movie game.

We just grabbed The Munchables for $4.99 at Gamestop and they love the game. Has anyone tried Squeeballs Party?

[quote name='Corvin']Rayman Origins blows away every game mentioned in this thread(yes even over the Marios, Kongs and Kirbys). :)

Also, not a platformer, but Skylanders is a blast and does have some platforming in it.[/QUOTE]

Yeah. They love the Rayman games. We rented Origins. Very very good. Question about Skylanders though. Can I just pick up the game? I don't need to purchase extra figures do I?

The game comes with 3 figures, and I've read that you can complete the game just using those. There are 8 elements though so to see all the content in the game you need at least one of each element.

I wouldn't go with Skylanders right now, the figures are super hard to find, and unless you have tons of money to spend on the latest figures from ebay sellers, wait till this hits the bargain bins or yard sale tables or at least wait until the figures become more common. Your kids will be begging for more figures if you buy this game. Though the Wii game doesn't have an achievement for every figure like the Xbox 360 game so it may be tolerable, but this is not a game for achievement hunters on the Xbox 360 unless you want to buy every single figure.

Another thing is you can swap figures with friends, so if your kids have a lot of friends with a lot of figures then Skylanders might be a worthwhile investment if you can organize swapping figures between friends.

I disagree, the game is $50 at various outlets right now, which is a decent discount. Figures are slowly starting to pop up, and the game is a blast to play with your kids. Also you can track singles and packs at these links to net you basically any figure you want with little work involved.

[quote name='SaraAB']Though the Wii game doesn't have an achievement for every figure like the Xbox 360 game so it may be tolerable, but this is not a game for achievement hunters on the Xbox 360 unless you want to buy every single figure.[/QUOTE]

Not even remotely true. There are no such achievements on the 360. As I posted above, to open every section of the game(generally 2 hidden areas per level) you need one of each element (8 total), but there are no achievements tied to that. However there is:

Star Chaser (60)
Get 3 stars in any one level. (primary profile)

This requires opening every area and finding every treasure in a given level. You could do this on the first level, because both hidden areas only require the Skylanders that came with the game.

No additional purchase necessary for any achievements.

I was under the impression that you had to buy a full set of figures to get all the achievements, its good to know that you don't have to.

Was Epic Mickey mentioned yet? It's got some control and camera issues but I'd would imagine kids would love it.

Not really platforming but NiGHTS Journey of Dreams might be an option, I'm sure you can get it cheap. And I apologize for going off the recommended path again but have you looked into the Endless Ocean games? As a parent myself this the the type of game I'd encourage my daughter to play when she gets older.

De Blob
Klonoa

Those are really the only Kids games platformers I could recommend. Stay away from A Boy and His Blob though. That game is brutal.

[quote name='Rodimus']Was Epic Mickey mentioned yet? It's got some control and camera issues but I'd would imagine kids would love it.

Not really platforming but NiGHTS Journey of Dreams might be an option, I'm sure you can get it cheap. And I apologize for going off the recommended path again but have you looked into the Endless Ocean games? As a parent myself this the the type of game I'd encourage my daughter to play when she gets older.[/QUOTE]

Can you really recommend NiGHTS? I played a little bit of it and thought it was terrible.

Good enough for a play through and I'd imagine it's a great game for kids. But don't take my word for it, NiGHTS got average reviews, around the 7/10 mark, clearly not a score of a terrible game.

mushroom men and death jr. are enjoyable
also, not platformers, but: zack & wiki, boom blox

and, if they liked munchables, definitely check out tornado outbreak

[quote name='vherub']mushroom men and death jr. are enjoyable
also, not platformers, but: zack & wiki, boom blox

and, if they liked munchables, definitely check out tornado outbreak[/QUOTE]

Zack and Wiki is definitely to difficult. I have played that. They like the boom blox games.

I forgot about Mushroom men and Death Jr. Ill get those. Those have to be each under $10 at this point. Tornado Outbreak we got one time but they were a bit younger. Try it again. Thanks.

bread's done
Back