Skylanders: Stump Smash, Sonic Boom in stock at Amazon

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='Kaiser499']I don't see why people actually play this game, it's nothing more than a scam by Activision.[/QUOTE]
Scam and brilliant marketing strategy are similar, and I don't think this is a scam.

[quote name='Kaiser499']I don't see why people actually play this game, it's nothing more than a scam by Activision.[/QUOTE]

I'll feed the troll.

Because it's one of the few games my 6 year old daughter and I can play together. It has decent game play without being too difficult (but isn't too easy for me), cute characters, light action/rpg elements, and the toys are fun for her just to play with (although it hurts one's sanity to see them visit the gang from Ponyville in an unholy crossover right on my living room floor).

There's even a decent amount of gameplay when one takes into account the challenges and battle arenas, as well as trying to 3-star every level. It's even kind of funny.

It's only a scam if you let it be - you really don't need anywhere near all the characters for it to be fun, and there are far crappier things she could spend her allowance on (like her umpteenth fucking Barbie).

Anyway, thanks for the links. She wanted a new Skylander for her birthday in two weeks, and everywhere was sold out. Snagged an empire of ice - the four armed Yeti was one of the characters she mentioned wanting most, plus hey, extra level.

[quote name='judge-z']
It's only a scam if you let it be - you really don't need anywhere near all the characters for it to be fun, and there are far crappier things she could spend her allowance on (like her umpteenth fucking Barbie).[/QUOTE]

Exactly. Hell, Star Wars figures are the same price and they don't do shit.

[quote name='Kaiser499']Obviously you have no idea what a troll is.[/QUOTE]
You have no idea what a scam is
The game is good and DLC comes with a figurine to boot
What comes with the DLC you buy?

[quote name='Kaiser499']Obviously you have no idea what a troll is.[/QUOTE]

Someone who comes into a thread for no other purpose than to make a statement that is obviously going to disagree with everyone who enjoys the thread, with no real benefit to stating their opinion as a fact other than to get their jollies off of the ensuing dismay of others. You may not be a troll, but you certainly were trolling for a response in this thread. Go away.

[quote name='PlayableMoogle']Someone who comes into a thread for no other purpose than to make a statement that is obviously going to disagree with everyone who enjoys the thread, with no real benefit to stating their opinion as a fact other than to get their jollies off of the ensuing dismay of others. You may not be a troll, but you certainly were trolling for a response in this thread. Go away.[/QUOTE]

People who know me know I'm not a troll, I just voice my opinion. Wither you agree with it or not is your choice. In my OPINION it's a scam but I've been watching videos/reviews on the game and I MAY EVEN pick it up. Don't judge a book until you get to know a few of it's pages.

Back on topic: if anyone finds reasonably-priced Cynders anywhere, could you post a link? That and a Pirate Bay (with Terrafin) are all I'm looking for.

The GS link says the item is unavailable and removed from my cart when I add it to my cart.

Edit: Nevermind, it must have just sold out. I tried the link again, and now you can't add it to your cart.

[quote name='Kaiser499']People who know me know I'm not a troll, I just voice my opinion. Wither you agree with it or not is your choice. In my OPINION it's a scam but I've been watching videos/reviews on the game and I MAY EVEN pick it up. Don't judge a book until you get to know a few of it's pages.[/QUOTE]

This makes no sense. So shouldn't you play the game before deciding it is a scam?

[quote name='PlayableMoogle']Back on topic: if anyone finds reasonably-priced Cynders anywhere, could you post a link? That and a Pirate Bay (with Terrafin) are all I'm looking for.[/QUOTE]

lol no one's going to post a link for you. sry dude. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

[quote name='Kaiser499']Don't judge a book until you get to know a few of it's pages.[/QUOTE]

precisiontrollingproeditionb.jpg

yup :)

Other than unskippable boss cut-scenes, this game is worth the hype/popularity. Not worth the crazy eBay prices, though.

[quote name='Javery']This makes no sense. So shouldn't you play the game before deciding it is a scam?[/QUOTE]

Okay, the figure part is a scam. The game itself still looks interesting though.

[quote name='animemaniac14']lol no one's going to post a link for you. sry dude. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:[/QUOTE]

I don't get it. Were you serious? I'm just thinking they'd be willing to do the same as I did with the three pack and the Empire of Ice pack on the first page of this thread.

I went ahead and ordered Bash....I have Legendary Bash but for $7.99 and no tax I'll add him to my collection...now for Chop Chop to come back in stock.

Scam isn't the right word to use for this game/concept. Scam infers there's something illegal going on, and obviously there's not. It's just the latest toy craze, there's one every year, it just so happens that this is the first time I can remember it involves videogames, which probably touch all of our lives more than previous crazes like furby or tickle-me elmo or whatever.

I have not played the game, but I have researched youtube videos for reviews and gameplay to see if it's something I'd want to play, and the game looks pretty but also looks like it plays very simplistically. Which is cool, obviously targeted to a younger demographic. Kung Fu Panda, etc..., all targeted to a younger demographic.

What polarizes gamers is the "scam" part of having to buy more figures to unlock more levels, and the compulsion to "collect them all."

I, personally, am doing my best NOT to get into this because I know if I do, I will have to eventually get them all, that's just how I am with collecting stuff. It sucks, and it's costly. But it doesn't make sense to trash people who do, or who get enjoyment out of spending time with their children through this hobby. The argument can be made that anything you buy that's not a necessity is a waste of money, so really those who call this thing a scam or that people are idiots for buying into it should probably just back off a little.

Went to the nearby Best Buy (Goleta CA) and they had just restocked on the single package figures within the last day or two. First time since last year. They had Bash, Voodood, Drobot, the stump/tree guy and couple others. I grabbed the last Prism Break.

I saw this stuff and say kudos to Activision and how funny it is people going crazy to find them. Then I remember all the stuff I collected and every time I see a new Skylander thread I'm tempted to start collecting haha. Gotta Catch Em All!

Sorrry for getting off topic briefly (or if it's been posted before), but does anyone know if there's a demo for this? I'm pretty sure there isn't but I figured I'd ask.

[quote name='JaylisJayP']Scam isn't the right word to use for this game/concept. Scam infers there's something illegal going on, and obviously there's not. It's just the latest toy craze, there's one every year, it just so happens that this is the first time I can remember it involves videogames, which probably touch all of our lives more than previous crazes like furby or tickle-me elmo or whatever.

I have not played the game, but I have researched youtube videos for reviews and gameplay to see if it's something I'd want to play, and the game looks pretty but also looks like it plays very simplistically. Which is cool, obviously targeted to a younger demographic. Kung Fu Panda, etc..., all targeted to a younger demographic.

What polarizes gamers is the "scam" part of having to buy more figures to unlock more levels, and the compulsion to "collect them all."

I, personally, am doing my best NOT to get into this because I know if I do, I will have to eventually get them all, that's just how I am with collecting stuff. It sucks, and it's costly. But it doesn't make sense to trash people who do, or who get enjoyment out of spending time with their children through this hobby. The argument can be made that anything you buy that's not a necessity is a waste of money, so really those who call this thing a scam or that people are idiots for buying into it should probably just back off a little.[/QUOTE]

You hit the nail on the head. I collect stuff now and I did when I was a kid. I'm trying to stay away from this game but after watching a few videos one of the guys reviewing said the game is like Gauntlet if anyone has played those games. Now, I liked Gauntlet games which is why I'm debating if I should get this or not because I know I'm going to want the figures as well which will kill my wallet.

[quote name='JaylisJayP']
[/QUOTE]

For a hardcore gamer to play solo, this won't be the game for them*. The magic is really in playing co-op with your child(ren). I have a 5 and 7 year old, both girls. They can't get enough of this game. Up until now they've enjoyed the Marios, Kirby's, Cooking Mama, and LEGO games of the world, but this is the first one where they are "going deeper" into it. By that I mean, they are looking at the stat cards, comparing Skylanders to see who is best for which section, looking at the hats to beef up the characters, etc. They're even getting into the leveling up and buying new abilities. It's really the first time they've gotten into a game that has more than a surface-level enjoyment.

What's also cool is you can take those figures and plug the portal into your PC and play online games as well. I haven't messed with that beyond importing Spyro yet. It also stores these stats in the figure itself just like the main game. Pretty cool, IMO.

Yes it's a craze, but there is quite a bit of content you get for your $8 figure, especially compared to other toys in the same price range(the aforementioned Barbies and SW figs). Hell, you can't even get a decent LEGO set for that price. The problem is, as some are reporting, will your child keep playing AFTER they have finished the game? My kids love hitting up the first 2-3 levels just to play with the different characters, so I don't have that problem.

*although I admit, I've played a tiny bit after the kiddos are in bed because I was close to leveling up a character, or to make a speed run on a level. There's enough there for a core gamer to fill in the gaps of their child's game(like speed runs), but I doubt there is enough there to enjoy the whole game solo.

I'm running out of crap to buy to fill in the $25 for Supersaver Shipping with the one at time going in stock. But I got the Wind and the Skull trait characters my son needed so now I'm good.

These look about as "Cool" as barnyard commandos and Food Fighter action figures. The only reason I'm regretting not paying more attention to the Skylander craze is that i know there is money to be made

[quote name='caltab']thanks for the heads up, needed a fire one. my daughter gets upset when we cant unlock all the gates and that was the only type I didnt have.[/QUOTE]

I think maybe I'm just going to skip this game. LOL.

[quote name='crunchewy']I think maybe I'm just going to skip this game. LOL.[/QUOTE]

Activision will find a way to ruin this "Craze". I'll be the first to admit I know very little about this game or the figures. The more buzz that is created the more I am intrigued but I predict that Activision will get greedy and over saturate the market with 1 million different characters and editions; similar to what they did with guitar hero and then people will start losing interest

[quote name='ShockandAww']It doesnt work when you add them to cart. Wanted that Legendary set but was just going to resell it anyway. Thanks for the heads up though.[/QUOTE]

I guess it just went out of stock. I checked the link again and it isn't available anymore.

I had purchased the legendary set a little before Christmas. It was out of stock at first. I signed up for their email notification and grabbed it as soon as it was available. I know you were just going to resell it, but that's an option that worked for me for others that are wanting this set.

[quote name='GBAstar']Activision will find a way to ruin this "Craze". I'll be the first to admit I know very little about this game or the figures. The more buzz that is created the more I am intrigued but I predict that Activision will get greedy and over saturate the market with 1 million different characters and editions; similar to what they did with guitar hero and then people will start losing interest[/QUOTE]
Who knows but I dont think this craze will go away anytime soon. Even if Activision manages to ruin Skylanders something else will pop up. I know if they made a slightly more hardcore RPG type game I'd be all over it. As it is, Skylanders is pretty fun imo for any age/gender so it'll continue to sell well.

I think the game looks fun and everybody says it's great, but I'm not sure I want to deal with my kids begging for character X to unlock Gate Y. Even worse, that *I'd* want to get character X so I could open Gate Y. LOL. :) Just sounds like a money pit in the making. Not sure I want that even if it's fun. Still I do find it intriguing....

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back