Pelican screen protector review

Drocket

CAGiversary!
I'm slightly annoyed right now, so this is probably a bit more of a rant than a review, but here goes anyway...

Yesterday, I bought 2 Pelican screen protector kits for the DS at Circuit city, since they were on sale for $4.99. I bought 2 because I figured that there would be a 50/50 chance of my screwing up putting one on, and also even if I didn't, I'd have an extra one down the road if/when I need to replace it.

The first protector: yeah, I screwed it up. I cleaned the screen carefully, took the protective backing off, slapped it down on the screen and voila - 2 huge dust spots. I tried taking it off and cleaning it, but that only make the problem worse. Well, this is what I bought 2 kits for, right? Kit 2 went on without a problem, so I was good to go. Or so I thought...

Each kit comes with 2 replacement styluses (styli?), so I now have 4. One is broken when I take it out of the package (the top 'clip' that holds it in the DS isn't attached.) I take a second one and put it in the DS to see if it fits. Its quite snug, which is good because my old stylus kept falling out. I take it out and - the top pops off, leaving the rest of it jammed in the DS. 5 minutes and 1 paperclip later, I'm back in business.

I fire up Yoshi's Touch and Go (which I bought at the same time. Fun game, desperately needs a story mode.) I play it for about an hour, and when I turn it off, I notice that the screen protector is scrached to hell and back. I've been using my DS since Christmas without a protector and the screen is perfect - one hour with the protector and its trashed. I don't know if its the fault of the protector or the new stylus, but it doesn't really matter at this point.

At this point I simply peeled the protector off and trashed the whole thing, styluses and all (no way I'm letting them things touch my unprotected DS screen.) I would STRONGLY recommend that you avoid the Pelican screen protector kit.

(I would, however, recommend the DS case that's on sale at CC this week. Its quite compact and holds everything securely. I'd also sorta recommend Yoshi's Touch and Go. Its not the best game in the world, but its still pretty fun.)

[quote name='Drocket']I'm slightly annoyed right now, so this is probably a bit more of a rant than a review, but here goes anyway...

Yesterday, I bought 2 Pelican screen protector kits for the DS at Circuit city, since they were on sale for $4.99. I bought 2 because I figured that there would be a 50/50 chance of my screwing up putting one on, and also even if I didn't, I'd have an extra one down the road if/when I need to replace it.

The first protector: yeah, I screwed it up. I cleaned the screen carefully, took the protective backing off, slapped it down on the screen and voila - 2 huge dust spots. I tried taking it off and cleaning it, but that only make the problem worse. Well, this is what I bought 2 kits for, right? Kit 2 went on without a problem, so I was good to go. Or so I thought...

Each kit comes with 2 replacement styluses (styli?), so I now have 4. One is broken when I take it out of the package (the top 'clip' that holds it in the DS isn't attached.) I take a second one and put it in the DS to see if it fits. Its quite snug, which is good because my old stylus kept falling out. I take it out and - the top pops off, leaving the rest of it jammed in the DS. 5 minutes and 1 paperclip later, I'm back in business.

I fire up Yoshi's Touch and Go (which I bought at the same time. Fun game, desperately needs a story mode.) I play it for about an hour, and when I turn it off, I notice that the screen protector is scrached to hell and back. I've been using my DS since Christmas without a protector and the screen is perfect - one hour with the protector and its trashed. I don't know if its the fault of the protector or the new stylus, but it doesn't really matter at this point.

At this point I simply peeled the protector off and trashed the whole thing, styluses and all (no way I'm letting them things touch my unprotected DS screen.) I would STRONGLY recommend that you avoid the Pelican screen protector kit.

(I would, however, recommend the DS case that's on sale at CC this week. Its quite compact and holds everything securely. I'd also sorta recommend Yoshi's Touch and Go. Its not the best game in the world, but its still pretty fun.)[/QUOTE]

I have the same screen protector and played wario yoshi zookeeper etc. streaks do get left behind after gameing sessions, but they all come right off when you wipe them (which they provided the cloth for). not too sure why you chucked them. right now I'm looking at the screen protector and there are no marks after a casual wipe.

[quote name='maxflight']I have the same screen protector and played wario yoshi zookeeper etc. streaks do get left behind after gameing sessions, but they all come right off when you wipe them (which they provided the cloth for). not too sure why you chucked them. right now I'm looking at the screen protector and there are no marks after a casual wipe.[/QUOTE]

It wasn't just streaks (though there were a number of them, too. The stylus that comes in the pack could double as a pen in an emergency...) They were actual scratches in the plastic surface of the protector. I'm not very hard at all on the screen, I don't think (if I was, I doubt I'd have a perfect DS screen after 3 months of usage), so I don't know if its the fault of the stylus (it could have been too sharp) or if it was just a crappy screen cover. Either way, i was just completely pissed off at the wasted $10 at that point.

[quote name='Drocket']It wasn't just streaks (though there were a number of them, too. The stylus that comes in the pack could double as a pen in an emergency...) They were actual scratches in the plastic surface of the protector. I'm not very hard at all on the screen, I don't think (if I was, I doubt I'd have a perfect DS screen after 3 months of usage), so I don't know if its the fault of the stylus (it could have been too sharp) or if it was just a crappy screen cover. Either way, i was just completely pissed off at the wasted $10 at that point.[/QUOTE]
oh, I didn't realized that you didn't use the original stylus, that's probably the reason. I have only used original stylus with my screen protector, so as far as that goes, there are no scratchs on my protector yet.

also, the pelican protector I got was from bestbuy, it ONLY comes with the protectors and the wiping cloth, no extra stylus. it was $4.99

[quote name='ChoiceStriker']Thank you for the review. I'd heard these weren't so good, but I was considering trying one anyway just because they were cheap. Now I definitely won't bother.

I'm debating between the Hori Liquid Crystal Filter DS:
http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-b7-70-ewm.html

and the Boxwave Clear Touch Crystal:
http://boxwave.com/products/clearto...-crystal-screen-protector-nintendo-ds_566.htm

Anybody have any recommendations on either of these two?[/QUOTE]
Wow, I didn't know boxwave made a protector for the DS. I might have to order myself a set. When I was reading up on what I want in a screen protector in general, they were mentioned quite a bit.

Yeah, I've heard really good things about the Clear Touch Crystal for the PSP, so I was glad to see they made one for DS too. This one costs a bit, but I might be willing to spend the extra money if it's worth it.

bread's done
Back