New PS2 Slims Converted to Used (GS 39.99)

DCpinoy

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
Hey everyone, sorry if this is old news. Gamestop has started to convert all their new PS2 Slims to Used (without breaking the seals on it). So that means that it's going for 39.99 now for brand new Slims. YMMV, but it's confirmed in Davis, CA and has been confirmed by another member also. Apparently they just received the email the other day to begin the process. Good luck!

[quote name='blindinglights']Thanks so much to the guy who said they converted new PS2s to used at Gamestop this week. Just picked up a brand new sealed one for $39.99.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='TheJayxor392']New-to-Used conversions are nationwide and affect every store. Every store receives an e-mail notifying them of the item they have in stock as New that are being converted to Used.

So yes, go trying to find some at a store near you. Since the SKU has been deleted from the systems, you'll have to call every store that has Used Slim PS2s in stock.[/QUOTE]

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='blindinglights']I went to three stores before I found one in the mall in Fredericksburg, VA.[/QUOTE]

nice, sealed and everything? how'd the process go of you asking for one?

[quote name='rapsodist']Argh. I just called 7 stores within 6 miles of me, and all of them say they haven't carried new PS2s for over 2 years.[/QUOTE]

damn didn't realize it was that uncommon for gamestops to carry new PS2s. good luck!

[quote name='wreckemtexastech']would definitely grab one if someone from elsewhere can confirm in nationwide[/QUOTE]

If the OP confirmed in California and I confirmed in Virginia, I imagine it is nationwide.

New-to-Used conversions are nationwide and affect every store. Every store receives an e-mail notifying them of the item they have in stock as New that are being converted to Used.

So yes, go trying to find some at a store near you. Since the SKU has been deleted from the systems, you'll have to call every store that has Used Slim PS2s in stock.

[quote name='TheJayxor392']New-to-Used conversions are nationwide and affect every store. Every store receives an e-mail notifying them of the item they have in stock as New that are being converted to Used.

So yes, go trying to find some at a store near you. Since the SKU has been deleted from the systems, you'll have to call every store that has Used Slim PS2s in stock.[/QUOTE]

nice, thanks. im gonna add this to the OP.

the two gamestop's near me have them in stock used, how do I know if it's new converted to used because I asked and the girl on the phone had no clue what I meant. or only way to go in store?

[quote name='Donutkid2222']the two gamestop's near me have them in stock used, how do I know if it's new converted to used because I asked and the girl on the phone had no clue what I meant. or only way to go in store?[/QUOTE]

i would say go in store and see if the seal stickers are still there on the box. and if they aren't you can still ask to see the PS2 itself and see if it looks brand new.

Grabbed the last one at my local Gamestop. I've been looking for a back-up ever since my backwards compatible PS3 died over the summer. Thanks a bunch, OP!

Two stores near me show "used" PS2 slims in stock... guess I'd have to go to the store and check the system itself to see if it's a converted system or an actual used one.

[quote name='Snuggelz']If anyone scores one, PM me. I'm willing to buy one off of you Console + Shipping and maybe even a Thank You Tip![/QUOTE]

So if someone does you a massive favor, you might possibly consider tipping them for their time? What an incredible deal...for you!

[quote name='SpartenOmega117']I called and asked if they have any new PS2s and all of my stores said no. Do the new PS2s show up as pre owned ps2s on their computer?[/QUOTE]

Hmmm, I'm assuming that if they already transfered them, it should show up as used now. If its close by, you should just go check them out yourself.

[quote name='Slowdance']So if someone does you a massive favor, you might possibly consider tipping them for their time? What an incredible deal...for you![/QUOTE]

Lol I was thinking the same thing, but I don't think the guy meant to sound like the tip was a maybe.

[quote name='Snuggelz']If anyone scores one, PM me. I'm willing to buy one off of you Console + Shipping and maybe even a Thank You Tip![/QUOTE]

$100 and we have a deal, what do you say?

I'd have to drive 3 hours before I could get to a store that has had new PS2s in stock.. it must be different out in California, or New York.

The new PS2s, which are converted to used consoles, qualify for the current B2G1 promotion. According to the GS employee, a console can't be the free item.

Thanks so much for the post, OP! I was able to find a store that actually had some in-stock. This was after driving to 4 other GS in my area.

Good luck everyone!

I saw 3 of them still in box on the floor yesterday with the a card on top showing a $49.99 price slashed to $39.99. I should of looked deeper but was in hurry and just assumed they were used even though the box's looked be in mint condition. It was the silver slim model. I probably go back now and get 1 if it is indeed new.

My buddy and I each grabbed one from one of the stores on Transit ave in buffalo NY. They also had a new in box psp go marked $99. All three consoles were stacked on the counter between the two pos systems. I thought real hard about the go, but ended up passing on it. Up above the shelves where they keep the new games was a final fantasy Xbox 360 for $230. I fought the urge on that too. If the system had any kind of special graphics I would have grabbed it in a heartbeat. But since it's basically just a game packed in the box, I passed.

[quote name='KtMack23']Lol I was thinking the same thing, but I don't think the guy meant to sound like the tip was a maybe.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the confidence. In my mind, the tone was supposed to be evoke the reader to ask, "How MUCH of a tip will I get?" not, "Will I get a tip at all."

[quote name='kraftwerks']My buddy and I each grabbed one from one of the stores on Transit ave in buffalo NY. They also had a new in box psp go marked $99. All three consoles were stacked on the counter between the two pos systems. I thought real hard about the go, but ended up passing on it. Up above the shelves where they keep the new games was a final fantasy Xbox 360 for $230. I fought the urge on that too. If the system had any kind of special graphics I would have grabbed it in a heartbeat. But since it's basically just a game packed in the box, I passed.[/QUOTE]

I'm thinking about buying one since my dad is going to give me his collection since he can't play on his PS3. Decisions decisions.

FYI: Best Buy may also be clearing out the slim PS2's as well now. Unfortunately they were still marked MSRP when I was in there just before Black Friday and now they're all gone.

The've already marked down the peripherals to clearance pricing(memory cards for $5-10, etc).

is this ymmv? because i called in a gamestop store and they said their new ones are still priced as $99.

[quote name='CAGkrazy']is this ymmv? because i called in a gamestop store and they said their new ones are still priced as $99.[/QUOTE]

In my area, it seemed as though most of the employees knew about the conversion of the new PS2 slims to used. This deal seems to be nationwide since CAGs in different states have reported buying new ones for $39.99. You should probably just drive to that GS and have them price check it for you.

[quote name='Booj']I'd have to drive 3 hours before I could get to a store that has had new PS2s in stock.. it must be different out in California, or New York.[/QUOTE] doesn't that kinda negate the savings if your driving 3 hours?!

[quote name='shadowkast']doesn't that kinda negate the savings if your driving 3 hours?![/QUOTE]

He was saying he'd have to do that if he wanted one, he wasn't saying he did.

[quote name='kk012']In my area, it seemed as though most of the employees knew about the conversion of the new PS2 slims to used. This deal seems to be nationwide since CAGs in different states have reported buying new ones for $39.99. You should probably just drive to that GS and have them price check it for you.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. Ok i'll probably go there to check it out!

[quote name='KtMack23']He was saying he'd have to do that if he wanted one, he wasn't saying he did.[/QUOTE]

Oh duh. Misread that, my bad

Gamestop in Stillwater, OK has none.

I'm saddened. Would have bought one without thought. I don't think my 60GB Ps3 will last much longer, again. it's on it's second life right now at a cost of $150.

can someone tell me the point of gamestop selling something thats new used? Its like the total opposite of what they usually do - selling used games as new lol

Thanks for the heads up on the sale. I picked up the last "new" one at the local store. That being said, I bought a "pre-owned" PS2 last week from another Gamestop and it turned out to be a silver PS3 in pretty good condition. Now I got to decide if I want to return the "pre-owned" PS2 tomorrow or keep it as a backup.

[quote name='darkshadows6000']Thanks for the heads up on the sale. I picked up the last "new" one at the local store. That being said, I bought a "pre-owned" PS2 last week from another Gamestop and it turned out to be a silver PS3 in pretty good condition. Now I got to decide if I want to return the "pre-owned" PS2 tomorrow or keep it as a backup.[/QUOTE]

I assume "PS3" is a typo?

[quote name='Blaster man']People still buy these things? To me, PS2 graphics look terrible.[/QUOTE]

I am assuming you are not a fan of classic games.

[quote name='media_wonder']can someone tell me the point of gamestop selling something thats new used? Its like the total opposite of what they usually do - selling used games as new lol[/QUOTE]

GameStop has done this for some time especially with DS games. These games are sold as used even though all they did was remove the wrapper. They want to move the merchandise that is not selling.

[quote name='Blaster man']People still buy these things? To me, PS2 graphics look terrible.[/QUOTE]
Yes they do. I was so gung ho to play my old San Andreas save file for a while. I spent $50 on a PS2 from Target when they clearanced them and almost $20 on an original 'Hot Coffee' version of San Andreas from a local seller at the flea market.

Then I played it and I immediately saw all sorts of issues with it. Between the glitchy traffic(cars kept running into mine on the highways) and the blotchy/splotchy environment I turned the game off and packed the PS2 back up within 2-3 hours of opening it. And don't even get me started on the original Just Cause, which I used to love to play last gen too. That looked just as fugly.:whistle2:#

But for $50 I have essentially a spare DVD player that I can still play some puzzle games or those old game compilations on.:D

bread's done
Back