High interest saving accounts

sendme

CAGiversary!
I'm thinking of opening one. I have looked at one from American Express, Ally and one that was 1.10% interest from some airline. I'm just wondering if anyone on CAG use one and what one they use. Also if they could give some input on the customer service.

I use ING Direct. Their interest has kept dropping the past couple of years though, down to like 0.8% now so it's not great anymore. But I haven't seen anything paying much over 1% so I haven't bothered thinking of switching yet and hope ING goes up again eventually.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='dmaul1114']I use ING Direct. Their interest has kept dropping the past couple of years though, down to like .08% now so it's not great anymore. But I haven't seen anything paying much over 1% so I haven't bothered thinking of switching yet and hope ING goes up again eventually.[/QUOTE]

It's .8% now, not .08%. I use them and like them so I am not switching unless they drop the interest to the levels of B&M banks.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']It's .8% now, not .08%. I use them and like them so I am not switching unless they drop the interest to the levels of B&M banks.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that was just a typo, I put the decimal in the wrong place.

And I'm the same, I've had good experiences with them and it's a pain to change banks so the rate would have to really plummet for me to change.

I have accounts both with American Express and ING Direct and both are solid choices. Rates are so low, you would be hard-pressed to find an interest bearing account over 1% that doesn't have strings attached like using their debit card a certain number of times/month.

I have had ING accounts for 6 years now without issue. I would caution against these places that have a ton of strings attached, like using a debt card 25 times, etc.

Pssh, good luck. Rates totally suck. I got a CD a couple years ago during a 6% special deal, or something like that. Each year it renews and has been dropping since, now floating around .7% or .8%. Awful... Savings accounts are less since you can use the funds freely.

[quote name='nateeasy29']Look at your local credit unions. They often have better rates.[/QUOTE]

They tend to have a lot of strings attached though. Be it high minimum balances that some may not be able to hit right now, or requiring you to have your checking there (with that having it's own strings attached) etc.

I'm with a credit union now and I don't get any interest at all. I'm just looking for something I can put the money in as I don't plan on touching it for a long time. I will check out ING.

If it's a sizable amount you need liquid, maybe you qualify for a Money Market account. Those rates are still pretty low though.

Consider some high dividend paying stocks from stable companies. Yes there's risk it could go down but it's just as liquid as a money market account and you're at least "guaranteed" the dividend yield.

[quote name='MadChedar0']If it's a sizable amount you need liquid, maybe you qualify for a Money Market account. Those rates are still pretty low though.

Consider some high dividend paying stocks from stable companies. Yes there's risk it could go down but it's just as liquid as a money market account and you're at least "guaranteed" the dividend yield.[/QUOTE]

While not a terrible idea, there's no such thing as a guaranteed dividend yield.

Is there much difference between using say a credit card company savings/checking account instead of a local bank? sendme you might want to look into putting your money into a CD if you can avoid accessing it for a long enough time.

I've always used ING and HSBC was always popular, but as everyone else has said there is no more high interest accounts around. If you already have a enough money set up for an emergency fund to let you survive for a while maybe you should look into putting money into your 401K at work (if you work and employer matches) or look into some other investments like mutual funds, etc. etc. I wouldn't be the person to give advice for that, but I'm sure there are some very knowledgeable folks around.

[quote name='Dokstarr']I've always used ING and HSBC was always popular, but as everyone else has said there is no more high interest accounts around. If you already have a enough money set up for an emergency fund to let you survive for a while maybe you should look into putting money into your 401K at work (if you work and employer matches) or look into some other investments like mutual funds, etc. etc. I wouldn't be the person to give advice for that, but I'm sure there are some very knowledgeable folks around.[/QUOTE]

That is funny, those are the same two online bank accounts I use.

I use the HSBC (used to be like 4.75 % when I signed up in 07). now under 1%. I use this to hold the bulk of my money, because I am saving for a house. Also, I don't even have a debit card, making buying things from the account near impossible ( I did this to make sure I never impulse buy from this money)

I have the ING account setup with like 5 sub accounts that I use for different goals (next vacation, a new car, new TV ect). It is a neat account and I prefer it over HSBC, but I like that the bulk of my savings and statements are in one spot for when I go through my loan process.

[quote name='dopa345']While not a terrible idea, there's no such thing as a guaranteed dividend yield.[/QUOTE]

And yet there are companies that have not only held their dividend yield for over 50 years, but increased it every year like MMM.

There is no such thing as a guaranteed dividend yield, but other than the financial sector, companies are increasing dividends due to increased profits not getting rid of them.

[quote name='lordwow']And yet there are companies that have not only held their dividend yield for over 50 years, but increased it every year like MMM.

There is no such thing as a guaranteed dividend yield, but other than the financial sector, companies are increasing dividends due to increased profits not getting rid of them.[/QUOTE]

Very true. Excluding the financials, who had to drastically cut or completely kill their dividends during the last crash, S&P 500 dividend paying companies have a fantastic historical track record. Dividends are being increased across pretty much every industry, even some of the financial dividends are starting to come back.

I personally view savings account as a complete waste given the current market conditions. The Fed has made it its mission to inflate risk assets (stocks) and keep interest rates at record lows through at least 2014. That means your savings account is going to continue paying nothing for at least 2 more years and that the Fed is going to be supporting stock market prices for at least the next 2 years. That tells me to buy dividend paying blue chips on any dip of 3-5%.

Has anyone here used Ally bank? I've been looking into a new savings account with better interest, and they seem to have the best rates (at least for a liquid account), but I don't know if they're any good (or how they really work.) I'd love some feedback on 'em.

[quote name='lordwow']And yet there are companies that have not only held their dividend yield for over 50 years, but increased it every year like MMM.

There is no such thing as a guaranteed dividend yield, but other than the financial sector, companies are increasing dividends due to increased profits not getting rid of them.[/QUOTE]

Hard to suggest MMM while trading >$80. It was very appealing in October while in the low to mid $70's.

I suggest OKS if you can get it in the low $50's. Great dividend holding. The caveat being that it's a partnership so it really messes with you come tax time as you need a 1055 to report the income. On the other hand, if you have a self directed 401 (k) or IRA it's a no-brainer. Just throw it on a DRIP and don't think about it. Buy it throughout the year to do the whole dollar cost averaging thing and it'll double every few years. They have a tendency to split when it gets around $80ish.

USB is looking to make a pretty strong comeback too. I got in at a ridiculous price during the "banks are bad" chunk of time a couple years back. Regularly mid $20's per share and $0.50 div. They've bumped it up a couple of times lately too.

[quote name='dude2003']i too use ing direct, but expect their rate to drop to b&m banks. they have been bought by capital one

http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2012/01/19/capital-one-expects-to-complete-ing-direct-deal-soon/[/QUOTE]

FYI that deal has not gone through yet. It's subject to approval and there is very much a "too big to fail" scenario that could develop there. It's not a done deal.

[quote name='DuelLadyS']Has anyone here used Ally bank? I've been looking into a new savings account with better interest, and they seem to have the best rates (at least for a liquid account), but I don't know if they're any good (or how they really work.) I'd love some feedback on 'em.[/QUOTE]

I'll never support Ally. They are a rebranded GMAC, which got bailed out. One bailout was enough. They don't get anymore of my money.

Multiple people, myself included, recommend ING.

[quote name='mtxbass1']I'll never support Ally. They are a rebranded GMAC, which got bailed out. One bailout was enough. They don't get anymore of my money.

Multiple people, myself included, recommend ING.[/QUOTE]

Very good to know. As best as I can tell, Ally's got the highest rates- but I couldn't find anything on the company itself. High rates are nothing if you can't trust the bank. Time to set up with ING. ;)

I'm actually currently using Ally and Hsbc as well. I recommend going with Ally and also opening a checking acct with them as all debit card fees paid are returned to you at the end of the month.

[quote name='DuelLadyS']Very good to know. As best as I can tell, Ally's got the highest rates- but I couldn't find anything on the company itself. High rates are nothing if you can't trust the bank. Time to set up with ING. ;)[/QUOTE]

Honestly, it's not worth chasing rates anymore. .8 here, .82 there. It's just not going to make THAT much of a difference unless you're moving major paper around. Odds are if you are, then you have a different savings strategy entirely.

+1 to dividends.

If its just money to sit in a bank and gather some yield...invest it in some safer stocks. Hell i think Verizon pays me like 5% yield and if u get in at a decent price u can make even more if the stock goes up. If the stock gets hurt by some shitty news...u got that 5% yield to help out.

[quote name='naiku']+1 to dividends.

If its just money to sit in a bank and gather some yield...invest it in some safer stocks. Hell i think Verizon pays me like 5% yield and if u get in at a decent price u can make even more if the stock goes up. If the stock gets hurt by some shitty news...u got that 5% yield to help out.[/QUOTE]

If it's just to sit in a bank and gather some yield, purchase i-Bonds. They're guaranteed and a lot safer than any stock market bet.

love to find one as well with 75K sitting in a money market only getting .6 is INSANE

but with PRIME staying at 0 for the next 3 years GOOD luck finding anything

VZ is pretty high at $37ish right now. I'd be much happier getting in around $32ish. The problem with telecom in general is the lack of growth. Unless there's a sudden population boom, where do they get new customers? Aside from cannibalizing the other carriers of course.

It's the same problem I have with the Facebook IPO. Extraordinarily overvalued and it isn't the next google despite what the pandemonium will tell you.

I don't understand why someone would open a savings account under 1%. Heck, the money in that account isn't even beating inflation over a years time. Your gaining, but losing a the same time...

[quote name='thingsfallnapart']I don't understand why someone would open a savings account under 1%. Heck, the money in that account isn't even beating inflation over a years time. Your gaining, but losing a the same time...[/QUOTE]

Because you need to have some money such as an emergency fund in a liquid account and a savings account yields much more than a checking account. You need to have some money in savings, even if it's not a great amount.

[quote name='nasum']VZ is pretty high at $37ish right now. I'd be much happier getting in around $32ish. The problem with telecom in general is the lack of growth. Unless there's a sudden population boom, where do they get new customers? Aside from cannibalizing the other carriers of course.

It's the same problem I have with the Facebook IPO. Extraordinarily overvalued and it isn't the next google despite what the pandemonium will tell you.[/QUOTE]

I see facebook becoming the next MY SPACE in the next 3 years or less (meaning noone will be there)

[quote name='lordwow']Because you need to have some money such as an emergency fund in a liquid account and a savings account yields much more than a checking account. You need to have some money in savings, even if it's not a great amount.[/QUOTE]

Yep. Savings account is just to be making some money on your emergency fund and other money you need to keep available.

Any long term investments for retirement, kid's education etc. should be in mutual funds, IRAs, college savings plans etc. where you can make a greater return (albeit with risk involved).

[quote name='nasum']VZ is pretty high at $37ish right now. I'd be much happier getting in around $32ish. The problem with telecom in general is the lack of growth. Unless there's a sudden population boom, where do they get new customers? Aside from cannibalizing the other carriers of course.

It's the same problem I have with the Facebook IPO. Extraordinarily overvalued and it isn't the next google despite what the pandemonium will tell you.[/QUOTE]

Facebook's potential isn't really in gaining more users but finding a way to really profit from their existing users. Right now Facebook generates about $5 in revenue per registered user......per year. That is chump change. The potential comes from getting that $5 to $10-$20. That is where the potential growth is coming from and why the company is going to have a pretty hefty valuation. Of course if they can't find a way to get more than $5 out of each user then the company is going to have some major problems.

Funny that you mention Google because several of the early Google execs that took that company public and where really responsible for its early success are now with Facebook and the ones responsible for actually turning Facebook into a real business.

I personally think that Facebooks prospects are pretty good but every investment has a fair value. Facebook at $100 billion....no thanks. Facebook at $80 billion, I'll buy some. I'm hoping one of my brokers can get me some IPO shares but I'm not holding my breath.

I don't know man. I see Lemmings when I think of the growing fervor...
For something to hold for a short time and ride the IPO wave it might be nice. But as a long term growth kind of thing I just don't trust it. I could certainly be wrong about that.

[quote name='mtxbass1']If it's just to sit in a bank and gather some yield, purchase i-Bonds. They're guaranteed and a lot safer than any stock market bet.[/QUOTE]

What if you plan on buying a house and need a big down payment? Should I just keep my money in my savings since I'm probably gonna put it towards a house anyway in a year or two?

There's annuities you can get in where your principal never decreases. And then when the market does well, you get your cut (along with the people holding your money)
I don't know too much about it, but I do plan on speaking to an expert about it. It seems very low risk, but I'm not sure about the details, such as how long your money is tied up, etc.

Of course, if any experts here on CAG can chime in, please do so!

I once read about someone saying to dump your savings account into your PayPal account. Implying that PayPal has a higher interest rate than most banks. I tried looking into the rate but didn't find anything.

[quote name='Kendro']What if you plan on buying a house and need a big down payment? Should I just keep my money in my savings since I'm probably gonna put it towards a house anyway in a year or two?[/QUOTE]

Anything you are planning on buying in 5 years or less should be as liquid as possible.

[quote name='Kendro']What if you plan on buying a house and need a big down payment? Should I just keep my money in my savings since I'm probably gonna put it towards a house anyway in a year or two?[/QUOTE]

2 years is a long time to have funds basically sitting doing nothing, IMO. I know everyone has different risk tolerances but I just can't stand having money not even keeping up with the average rate of inflation.

IMO, as long as the Fed is making it its mission to inflate risk asset prices (stocks) you have to be overweight stocks vs all other asset classes. At this point the Fed has stated that this is their gameplan through 2014 and with this being an election year you know the government is going to do everything they can to grease asset prices higher to try and improve the "wealth effect" leading into the election.

Given the actions the Fed is taking combined with the tremendous balance sheets of corporate America I really wouldn't be suprised to see the S&P at new all time highs over the next 24-36 months. Right now the Nasdaq is at levels not seen in 11 years, since the dot com crash.

Nasum....I certainly agree that there are risks with Facebook. If Facebook can't actually turn those billion users into actual profits then the stock is worthless. But like I said, it all depends on what the stock is trading at. I certainly won't be buying just because everyone is talking about it but if the shares start trading at what I think it is an attractive value then I would certainly pick up some shares.

What I would love to see happen is a BIDU situtation. The company IPO'd, doubled on day 1 due to all the hype.....then crashed as uncertainty regarding the companies execution as a public compnay set in. A few quarters passed and the company really proved it could deliver on its early potential and it has been pretty much a steady march higher ever since.

What I actually find most interesting about the Facebook IPO is how many people they lose after the 180 day lock up period is over. How many employees will just cash out and move on, leaving the company with a potential loss of early talent.

[quote name='detectiveconan16']http://www.businessweek.com/news/20...llion-ing-direct-deal-is-approved-by-fed.html

So much for your "high" interest savings accounts. Capital One is going to swallow ING Direct.[/QUOTE]

Rates are down everywhere and will continue to drop. Banks know they have consumers in their pockets right now. Until Capital One follows through with lowering rates and implementing fees, I see no reason to move anywhere else. The approval still won't take place until September at the earliest.

I doubt capital one will change the rates. It's still an online banking division and doesn't have much overhead relative to their physical banks. And they have to know if they lower rates people will go to other online only avings banks that offer higher rates.

Capital One isn't likely to alter the current ING programs/rates at this point. The only immediate change is going to be ING clients getting a lot more offers for loans and credit cards from Capital One.

The ING puchase was made to improve Capitals One's balance sheet through the acquisition of deposit accounts. If they did something that put these deposits at risk, like significantly altering rates or services that ING customers have become used to then they risk losing these deposits which would make the whole purchase of ING pointless for them.

I'd put my money in cans of BBQ baked beans right now, 28 oz, $1 each. If the prices on these get jacked up to $1.50, buying twenty cans will net you the equivalent of one year's interest on $1000.

[quote name='Indigo_Streetlight']I'd put my money in cans of BBQ baked beans right now, 28 oz, $1 each. If the prices on these get jacked up to $1.50, buying twenty cans will net you the equivalent of one year's interest on $1000.[/QUOTE]

Sadly true.

If you don't have a really substantial sum to work with and the time to pay full attention to what you're doing, it is very difficult to get any ROI that beats inflation. You can be better off putting the spare money in goods you normally consume with a high probability of cost increases. This can mean simply stocking your kitchen pantry deeper if your local supermarket has a really good promotion on something with a good shelf life.

The government has recently tried to claim low inflation but with the qualifier of excluding food and fuel prices. Oh great, the two thing I cannot live without are at the their highest prices of my lifetime but most other stuff is holding steady. So, that is their version of low inflation. Never mind that increased energy costs find their way into all products eventually.

[quote name='epobirs']Sadly true.

If you don't have a really substantial sum to work with and the time to pay full attention to what you're doing, it is very difficult to get any ROI that beats inflation. You can be better off putting the spare money in goods you normally consume with a high probability of cost increases. This can mean simply stocking your kitchen pantry deeper if your local supermarket has a really good promotion on something with a good shelf life.

The government has recently tried to claim low inflation but with the qualifier of excluding food and fuel prices. Oh great, the two thing I cannot live without are at the their highest prices of my lifetime but most other stuff is holding steady. So, that is their version of low inflation. Never mind that increased energy costs find their way into all products eventually.[/QUOTE]

*nod* I think we're getting away from the days where one can kick back and wait for money to make money with little effort, at least for the average American. I'll be buying ahead on pairs of hiking shoes as well; not only do they store well, but I've noticed my size becoming unavailable locally along with the prices generally becoming more ridiculous.

Years ago when the interest rates were between 4-6% I could see having money locked up, but nowadays you might as well have that money liquid; use it to buy up collectables, video games, whatever and just rely on the short sale to increase your savings.

Yes, but remember that the folks with huge stacks of money don't buy collectables (other than maybe Gold), they buy equities. Which is why US Equities have rallied so hard since December. There is nothing else profitable out there, and many stocks yield upwards of 5 or 6 percent with little risk.

bread's done
Back