PS3 died (YLoD)... for the second time (update: temp fix using hair blower!)

cheapfrag

CAGiversary!
Feedback
9 (100%)
So my launch PS3 (60 GB) died for the second time.

I purchased the PS3 on launch day in 11/2006.

I had the YLoD and I had Sony fix it in 5/2009... (I actually received a refurbished one).

Now I've had the YLoD for the second time.

I am not opposed to having Sony fix this one as well BUT, I would like to backup my hard drive this time so I don't lose my Save Games and downloadable content.

Is there any EASY way to get this PS3 back up in order to backup the hard drive? Thanks!

P.S. Also, if there is a reliable third party that can fix the YLoD and get my saved games/downloadable games back, I would be willing to do that too.

---------------------UPDATE: 1/30/2012---------------------------
OK, so this weekend, I used the hair blower trick on my YLoD PS3. It worked! I was able to get the disk out and perform a backup of the HDD and then deactivate my User profiles. The backup took 4 hours! (I had a 320 GB HDD that had about 105 GB of data). Then I removed the 320 GB drive and put in the original 60 GB hard drive, deleted the user accounts, and preformed a quick format. (The quick format did not delete the user accounts so I had to do that manually and then quick format again.)

I then went to GameStop and traded it in for $150 credit toward a new PS3 (a promo that ended on Saturday). I wasn't sure what was expected to be traded in with the console so I included everything that came with it (console, non-DS controller, Ethernet cable, USB cable, manual, AV cables). So I paid $99.99 in Trade-in credit for a slim 160 GB PS3.

But I think the backup of my hard drive was a waste of time, unless I did something wrong in the restore. I put in my 320 GB hard drive into the new PS3 and reformatted it (which required me to download the 4.00 firmware patch on a USB drive). I then hooked up the external USB hard drive and did the restore. It took about 1 minute. It established my user accounts and transferred most Save game files, but it appears that no downloadable content was transferred.

Should I have manually established the user accounts and reactivated them before the restore? Or will downloadable content never transfer to a new system?

So I had to re-download all my DLC, themes, avatars, etc. I had to install and patch every game that I tried. Also, some game saves were not present on the new PS3. It doesn't look like Tiger Woods 12 Save game was restored. Also, Dragon Age Origins Ultimate, the save games are there, but when I get into the game, the only option is NEW game... no "continue" option. I first went into the game without installing the DLC, so I thought that might have caused the game to not recognize the save file. So I then reinstalled all of the DLC... but still the game didn't recognize the save game file even though it's present on the hard drive.

So did I do the restore incorrectly or in the wrong order? Would I have lost TW12 and DA:OUE save game files no matter what?

I prefer my old fat PS3... I find the new PS3 disk drive to be noisy. I prefer the buttons (eject/power) on the old PS3 - touch senstive buttons instead of plastic press buttons.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='cheapfrag']So my launch PS3 (60 GB) died for the second time.

I purchased the PS3 on launch day in 11/2006.

I had the YLoD and I had Sony fix it in 5/2009... (I actually received a refurbished one).

Now I've had the YLoD for the second time.

I am not opposed to having Sony fix this one as well BUT, I would like to backup my hard drive this time so I don't lose my Save Games and downloadable content.

Is there any EASY way to get this PS3 back up in order to backup the hard drive? Thanks!

P.S. Also, if there is a reliable third party that can fix the YLoD and get my saved games/downloadable games back, I would be willing to do that too.[/QUOTE]

Are you in the San Fransisco area? I hear that Geeky Hacks is a miracle worker with these. He reballs them with leaded solder so they last longer too.

Popular opinion says reballing them with leaded balls is the way to go to fix YLOD. For your current issue though...maybe try the blowdryer trick on the back of the PS3 to get it running for a few minutes to back up your stuff?

I agree that reballing with leaded balls is the permanent fix, that is if you can find someone that can do it. Try the hairdry trick so at least get your data before it dies again. Mine did the same thing YLOD twice in between reflowing the main board before it died again after 3 weeks of the reflow.
So my advice is get your backup then go buy a new ps3 instead of wasting you time and money to sony of getting a refurb one from them. Good luck.

[quote name='Paco']Are you in the San Fransisco area? I hear that Geeky Hacks is a miracle worker with these. He reballs them with leaded solder so they last longer too. [/QUOTE]

No, unfortunately I live in NJ.

[quote name='frakingcylon615']Try the hairdry trick so at least get your data before it dies again. [/QUOTE]

What is the hairdryer trick? Does that involve opening up the unit?

[quote name='4tygames']http://www.gophermods.com/index.php?...etail&p=37

$70 for new thermal paste and a complete reball and reflow on every connection. [/QUOTE]

Have you personally used them? It's $70 for the YLOD fix but they also have a "Sony PlayStation 3 GPU RSX Reball Service" for $140. They say the YLOD fix only lasts from 2 months to 2 years. They don't say anything about how long the reball service might last.

In reply to an email about the $140 GPU RSX Reball Service, Gophermods said:

"The waitlist number is currently #341. However, once we accommodate finished/cancelled/pending orders. That would be about a 175 spots less. It would be about a 60 day wait. We’re trying to cut down on the wait, but we consistently add new reball orders every day. So as soon as we finish some, we get more orders added so it’s a never ending battle."

Decisions, decisions...

Happened to me, but could not be fixed. Lost all my saves which was pretty devastating to me. My rig wouldn't stay on long enough (like 2 seconds) for me to export any files.

I'm leaning toward using the hairblower trick to get the disk out and hopefully back-up the hard drive and then trading it in to Sony for a PS3 slim for $100.

[quote name='cheapfrag']I'm leaning toward using the hairblower trick to get the disk out and hopefully back-up the hard drive and then trading it in to Sony for a PS3 slim for $100.[/QUOTE]
There's an ejection trick that worked for me on my current YLOD refurb that I need to send back, but not my launch console.

Hit the power switch on the back to completely power it down, hit the switch to put it in standby mode, press the power button, and then immediately start mashing the eject button. If you're lucky, the disc will eject, the system will power up long enough to do some error correction from the improper shutdown, and then hopefully, you'll be able to pull some saves.

[quote name='spedmunki']Happened to me, but could not be fixed. Lost all my saves which was pretty devastating to me. My rig wouldn't stay on long enough (like 2 seconds) for me to export any files.[/QUOTE]

When you say it could not be fixed, what method did you try? Sent it to Sony, sent it to a 3rd party or just tried it yourself using one of the tricks (hairblower, oven, new thermal paste)?

[quote name='cheapfrag']
Have you personally used them? It's $70 for the YLOD fix but they also have a "Sony PlayStation 3 GPU RSX Reball Service" for $140. They say the YLOD fix only lasts from 2 months to 2 years. They don't say anything about how long the reball service might last.[/QUOTE]

Nope, launch PS3 is going strong.

I sent my PS3 to GopherMods a couple of months ago because the system was constantly on the highest fan speed. They cleaned it out and added new thermal paste. My system is absolutely quiet and working perfectly. If I ever get the YLOD, I will definitely be sending my system to these guys.

Also, please don't consider this rude, but longevity of the system depends on usage. Only keep your system on when you use it (all my friends leave their system on all the time). Don't keep a game disc in the system unless you are playing it. Don't place your PS3 in a cabinet (keep it in a well-ventilated area), dust your system regularly, etc. etc.

The PS3 uses 11x more electricity than the Wii. It uses about the same amount of electricity as a computer. Video games consoles these days are not like the old ones in the past. Like the 360, the thing heats up.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='cheapfrag']In reply to an email about the $140 GPU RSX Reball Service, Gophermods said:

"The waitlist number is currently #341. However, once we accommodate finished/cancelled/pending orders. That would be about a 175 spots less. It would be about a 60 day wait. We’re trying to cut down on the wait, but we consistently add new reball orders every day. So as soon as we finish some, we get more orders added so it’s a never ending battle."

Decisions, decisions...[/QUOTE]

I believe the cheaper fix is just a reflow, or at the best you get non-lead balls put into the console. The more expensive one is the leaded balls, which is the more permanent fix.

OK, so this weekend, I used the hair blower trick on my YLoD PS3. It worked! I was able to get the disk out and perform a backup of the HDD and then deactivate my User profiles. The backup took 4 hours! (I had a 320 GB HDD that had about 105 GB of data). Then I removed the 320 GB drive and put in the original 60 GB hard drive, deleted the user accounts, and preformed a quick format. (The quick format did not delete the user accounts so I had to do that manually and then quick format again.)

I then went to GameStop and traded it in for $150 credit toward a new PS3 (a promo that ended on Saturday). I wasn't sure what was expected to be traded in with the console so I included everything that came with it (console, non-DS controller, Ethernet cable, USB cable, manual, AV cables). So I paid $99.99 in Trade-in credit for a slim 160 GB PS3.

But I think the backup of my hard drive was a waste of time, unless I did something wrong in the restore. I put in my 320 GB hard drive into the new PS3 and reformatted it (which required me to download the 4.00 firmware patch on a USB drive). I then hooked up the external USB hard drive and did the restore. It took about 1 minute. It established my user accounts and transferred most Save game files, but it appears that no downloadable content was transferred.

Should I have manually established the user accounts and reactivated them before the restore? Or will downloadable content never transfer to a new system?

So I had to re-download all my DLC, themes, avatars, etc. I had to install and patch every game that I tried. Also, some game saves were not present on the new PS3. It doesn't look like Tiger Woods 12 Save game was restored. Also, Dragon Age Origins Ultimate, the save games are there, but when I get into the game, the only option is NEW game... no "continue" option. I first went into the game without installing the DLC, so I thought that might have caused the game to not recognize the save file. So I then reinstalled all of the DLC... but still the game didn't recognize the save game file even though it's present on the hard drive.

So did I do the restore incorrectly or in the wrong order? Would I have lost TW12 and DA:OUE save game files no matter what?

I prefer my old fat PS3... I find the new PS3 disk drive to be noisy. I prefer the buttons (eject/power) on the old PS3 - touch senstive buttons instead of plastic press buttons.

Not all saves are transferable through the back up feature. The only way to get all your saves is either through PSN+ or network 2 PS3's with an ethernet cable. As for dlc and patches, they don't transfer if I remember correctly.

I'm in the same predicament. My 60 gig launch PS3 just died and I don't know if I should just get a new replacement, or get my old one repaired. Honestly, the main reason I'd want to repair the old one is just so I can finish Skyrim but still, tough choice.

[quote name='robin2099']I'm in the same predicament. My 60 gig launch PS3 just died and I don't know if I should just get a new replacement, or get my old one repaired. Honestly, the main reason I'd want to repair the old one is just so I can finish Skyrim but still, tough choice.[/QUOTE]

If you get a leaded-reball its suppose to be a pretty good fix, although I cannot say for certain how permanent it really is. Unless you can get a sweet trade-in deal with your 60GB, I wouldn't buy a new one.

But, of course, Sony does have a trade-in deal for 60GBs that allow you to buy a new PS3 Slim for a heavily discounted price. Research that or call Sony about it. I would have jumped on that deal if my 80GB were eligible.

This is good news! I just need my YLOD ps3 to last long enough to transfer my data to a slim PS3.

Hope the hair dryer trick works on my PS3.

bread's done
Back