GameStop - Selling Classic Games Again! - PowerUp Rewards Retro Game Vault

4tygames

CAGiversary!
Feedback
9 (100%)
You can now use your GameStop PowerUp Rewards on classic video games on a variety of consoles.

http://www.poweruprewards.com/PUR/Index/RetroGameVault

Game, Platform and # of points required
Mortal Kombat - SNES - 30,000
Mario Bros. - NES - 27,500
Super Star Wars - SNES - 27,500
Killer Instinct - SNES - 26,500
1942 - NES - 24,500
Spy Hunter - NES - 24,500

Games Coming Soon
Tecmo Super Bowl (Near Mint, Complete) - NES
Nintendo Power Glove w/ Super Gloveball - NES
Nintendo Power Pad w/ World Class Track Meet - NES
Dragon Warrior - NES
Double Dragon - NES
Super Gameboy - SNES
Street Fighter II - SNES
Mortal Kombat (Complete w/ case) - Genesis
Mortal Kombat II (Complete w/ case) - Genesis
Metroid - NES
Pac Man (Sears Edition) - Atari 2600
Space Invaders - Atari 2600
Super Mario World - SNES
Ms. Pac Man - Genesis
NHL Hockey - NES
Fear Effect - PS1
Shining in the Darkness -Genesis
Aladdin (Complete w/ case) - Genesis
RBI Baseball - NES
Pilotwings - SNES
Game Genie - Genesis
Asteroids - Atari 2600
Centipede - Atari 2600
Combat - Atari 2600
Defender - Atari 2600
Missile Command - Atari 2600
Frogger - Atari 2600
Ms. Pac Man - Atari 2600
Pac Man (Regular Edition) - Atari 2600
F-Zero - SNES
NBA Jam - SNES
Sim City - SNES
Tecmo Super Bowl - Genesis
Tecmo Super Bowl 3 - Genesis
Donkey Kong- Coleco
E.T. - Atari 2600
Super Scope 6 - SNES
WCW vs. NWO - N64

Those games seem to be priced extremely high. 10,000 points=$10 off any GS item. So to me 10,000=$10. So why are those games at least $24.50? These are probably old game they had from when they bought out other companies and decided to list them on PUR for insane amount of points. Plus they aren't even complete, just the cart only.

You can get Mortal Kombat on SNES (cart only) for $8 on ebay. I know GS doesn't price things fair, but I don't see how any CAG would consider this a deal.

I also like how they sell the Power Glove but not the sensors.

They're kidding, right? Almost everything there can be had for $5 at your local mom-and-pop store. Or goodwill. Or the internet.

Seriously, don't waste your points....

[quote name='stageman12']Rather just go dig in the desert for that E.T. Cart...

I actually have most of those...[/QUOTE]

So they really are buried in the desert? I always thought that was a myth:lol:

[quote name='stageman12']Rather just go dig in the desert for that E.T. Cart...

I actually have most of those...[/QUOTE]

So the legend is true.:whistle2:#

I totally agree with you! Most of these "classic retro" games can be bought on Ebay for $3 to $10 each, cartridge only. Seriously, I've been a PowerUp Rewards member for over a year now, accumulated 32,000 points in my account, and have yet to find anything worthwhile yet. Maybe it's just me, but everything is just way too much points. It's kinda pathetic that I have to buy 50 brand new $59.99 game to accumulate 30,000 points and can get a Mortal Kombat (SNES) cartridge...biggest waste ever!!!

[quote name='Saix_XIII']Those games seem to be priced extremely high. 10,000 points=$10 off any GS item. So to me 10,000=$10. So why are those games at least $24.50? These are probably old game they had from when they bought out other companies and decided to list them on PUR for insane amount of points. Plus they aren't even complete, just the cart only.

You can get Mortal Kombat on SNES (cart only) for $8 on ebay. I know GS doesn't price things fair, but I don't see how any CAG would consider this a deal.

I also like how they sell the Power Glove but not the sensors.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='skateraXVIII']So they really are buried in the desert? I always thought that was a myth:lol:[/QUOTE]

Nope, it's true. Atari had so many unsold copies they had them dumped in a New Mexico landfill. The carts were steamrolled and then cemented over to prevent anyone from digging them up.

http://www.snopes.com/business/market/atari.asp

Those values really do seem off...I can't see much point in buying these games through this program, but then they probably don't have many to begin with (maybe this is excess stock from their warehouses when they stopped selling them in stores?). Would be cool to see some actual rare/obscure titles/system though if they can put them up for a reasonable cost, maybe 10k or 15k for Saturn or Sega CD games that were common for their time (it would be hilarious seeing them put Panzer Dragoon Saga or Suikoden up for 500,000 points each though).

I usually cash out a $5 (Used) coupon for every 4,000 points accrued. Using rough logic, Mortal Kombat would cost me nearly 40 bucks.

And it's not even the sequel.

[quote name='segasaturnsnk']If anybody uses their GS points to get this deserves a slap across the face.[/QUOTE]

And a lifetime ban from this site, since they could never again call themselves a CAG.

The GS rewards honestly aren't that bad. They are on par with Best Buy.

Look at it this way.

$250 at BB=$5
$500 at BB=$10
$500 used at GS=10,000 points
10,000 points at GS=$10

So it is identical to BB program. I admit neither program gives you a ton of stuff back, but something is better than nothing. Plus at GS you get points for trading in, something BB still does not do, despite my feedback on how stupid that is.

Wow. This is generally ridiculous. GS further solidifies itself as a horrible company.

[quote name='Saix_XIII']The GS rewards honestly aren't that bad. They are on par with Best Buy.

Look at it this way.

$250 at BB=$5
$500 at BB=$10
10,000 points at GS=$10

So it is identical to BB program. I admit neither program gives you a ton of stuff back, but something is better than nothing. Plus at GS you get points for trading in, something BB still does not do, despite my feedback on how stupid that is.[/QUOTE]

You miss the point entirely. This is getting $10 off at BB for a TV or computer part at already low costs versus getting a $30 cart-only copy of 19-year-old Mortal Kombat for SNES. How many times has that game been ported to newer generations? It must be at least one-fifth of the cost at any other store.

[quote name='Saix_XIII']The GS rewards honestly aren't that bad.[/QUOTE]

With the exception of this particular one, I would agree. If you look at it as, "I'm going to buy stuff at GS anyway, I might as well get the cash back." As opposed to, "OMG you mean I'm spending $250 to get $5, what a ripoff!"

These classic games for 10,000+ points, however, are at best GameStop being idiots, and at worst GameStop assuming its customers are idiots.

[quote name='Saix_XIII']The GS rewards honestly aren't that bad. They are on par with Best Buy.

Look at it this way.

$250 at BB=$5
$500 at BB=$10
10,000 points at GS=$10

So it is identical to BB program. I admit neither program gives you a ton of stuff back, but something is better than nothing. Plus at GS you get points for trading in, something BB still does not do, despite my feedback on how stupid that is.[/QUOTE]
You can join RZGC at BB for free which gives you double points so $125 spent is a $5 cert and $250 spent is a $10 cert.

Many years ago when I was collecting NES games, I used to visit various Gamestops and EB Games to pick up boxed, mint NES games for my collection. At some stores they'd have boxes up for display, but not have the cartridges that went with them; they usually just let me take boxes w/manuals for free for those.

Then at some point they made a corporate decision to just throw away ALL the NES boxes, and just keep the cartridges. What a sad day that was for all those classic NES games! :cry:

[quote name='chimpmeister']Many years ago when I was collecting NES games, I used to visit various Gamestops and EB Games to pick up boxed, mint NES games for my collection. At some stores they'd have boxes up for display, but not have the cartridges that went with them; they usually just let me take boxes w/manuals for free for those.

Then at some point they made a corporate decision to just throw away ALL the NES boxes, and just keep the cartridges. What a sad day that was for all those classic NES games! :cry:[/QUOTE]

Look at what they started doing with DS cases...if they had thrown all those cases away when I still had a DSiXL and was buying used games, I never would've shopped there. When I traded them in during a bonus after I got out of the handheld game, I just kept the cases and offered them to those who needed/wanted them since GS was just going to toss them anyway.

[quote name='VA']GS will probably call them NEW. I hate that store.[/QUOTE]

Before calling it new, you'll have their employees playing the damn games, blowing on the cartridges filled with their own spit, and continue playing till they get bored of playing it. Then later open a brand new sealed copy of Castlevania Dracula X and repeat and then head to the toilet, take a shit while reading the game manual, and shred it afterward. Later by stomping on the box and decide to sell the cartridge itself for 50 thousand points.

if you're a retro gamer buying these things from gamestop then you need to slap urself silly with a frying pan or you should google some game stores that actually sell retro games, I have at least 2 of them near me with a decent library.

i got 14 plastic buckets of NES game sitting in my basement i would love to get those prices for.. i be lucky to get a buck each out of them if i ever dug them out

I got over 11k points, you guys think Shaq Fu is going to be a cool 10k? I can't wait for Gaystop to put that up to satisfy my sexual needs for big strong black men like Shaq.

To be fair, the OP never mentioned the word "deal. However, it is in the deal thead. I think the only reason it's still on this website is to be mocked. Personally, anyone who goes to Gamestop knows nothing about games or value.

Sheiky baby will sum this up for us (NSFW)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1QCBF3h_tM
spoiler]

That is awesome that is Gamestop is doing this, even if a bit pricey. Still cool though that I might jump on since nothing else looks appealing and I have 25,000 points just sitting there.

[quote name='icewolf74']That is awesome that is Gamestop is doing this, even if a bit pricey. Still cool though that I might jump on since nothing else looks appealing and I have 25,000 points just sitting there.[/QUOTE]

Just use it on a coupon and use it on a new game or something. If you preorder over there, I'm sure you can use the coupon on picking up a game on its release. Better with a coupon than wasting your points on a game that can be 3 dollars on Ebay.

[quote name='DcupsOfJustice']To be fair, the OP never mentioned the word "deal. However, it is in the deal thead. I think the only reason it's still on this website is to be mocked. Personally, anyone who goes to Gamestop knows nothing about games or value.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I've been on the site for 6+ years now so I expected this type of reaction. Using the power up reward coupons is a better deal than a SNES silent scope cartridge... Good luck finding a gun and TV for that.

Edit: I'm curious and never heard of fear effect and shining of the darkness. Are those games any good? I use Vintage Stock or Games X Change for any classic game purchases.

[quote name='mrspicytacoman']does goodwill really have retro video game stuff...that is also functional?[/QUOTE]

If they do, it goes up on their auction site. Look for independent thrift stores.

Outrageous point values for these. It's like we are being charged a premium because these are "retro" games. None of these on the list are all that hard to find. Cool idea, but I'll pass.

[quote name='mrspicytacoman']does goodwill really have retro video game stuff...that is also functional?[/QUOTE]

My local Goodwill almost always has old-school consoles in stock, although they have no earthly clue what they're worth. Last time I was there I saw a Genesis, a PlayStation (1) and an XBox all priced at $29.99.

Sometimes they have games as well, but it's usually pretty rare. One time they had a whole bunch of N64 carts at six bucks apiece, including WWF No Mercy.

[quote name='4tygames']
Edit: I'm curious and never heard of fear effect and shining of the darkness. Are those games any good? I use Vintage Stock or Games X Change for any classic game purchases.[/QUOTE]

Not sure about Shining of the Darkness, but Fear Effect was great. Played that and its sequel years ago on the PS1. I think it sort of had a unique life bar where getting startled or getting caught when you were trying to be stealthy or, of course, getting shot increased your fear level, and you had to calm down to heal yourself. Sort of had a really cool story, too, combining shooter elements with supernatural/horror elements and Chinese mythology. Not sure how they'd hold up now if I went back to them, but I loved both Fear Effect games back when I played them.

[quote name='MR_E']Not sure about Shining of the Darkness, but Fear Effect was great. Played that and its sequel years ago on the PS1. I think it sort of had a unique life bar where getting startled or getting caught when you were trying to be stealthy or, of course, getting shot increased your fear level, and you had to calm down to heal yourself. Sort of had a really cool story, too, combining shooter elements with supernatural/horror elements and Chinese mythology. Not sure how they'd hold up now if I went back to them, but I loved both Fear Effect games back when I played them.[/QUOTE]

I remember playing SHining in the darkness for hours.. Loved that game.. Too bad they never remade it

About half my retro library comes from Goodwills. Most goodwills just put stuff out for $3-5. My best day ever, I found a bunch of games for $3 each including Final Fantasy VI on SNES and Majora's Mask CIP.

Not as Retro but I got a players choice copy
Super Mario sunshine for $4 and a new gamecube chameleon controller for $6 at my local goodwill

bread's done
Back