tsilon.ca - $99 Nintendo 3DS

I've heard of this I think. The catch is you need to go through a fair bit of videogaming marketing to earn levels on your account, and when you hit the top levels you can get some decent coupons an stuff.

So yeah, like all things like this, if you don't have a life/job, it's a great deal. If you have better things to do with your time, it isn't...

I just registered a week ago. It's an ARG, so you have to go to the website and solve four puzzles to obtain codes which gets you in the website. Once inside you have to complete video game challenges (actually playing games and taking photos or submitting your achievements over Xbox Live, Steam, etc), or answer video game related trivia.

Took me half an hour to solve all the puzzles and then I spent another half an hour answering video game trivia (which were fun to do).

After that I got invited into the main site where the perks and community forum are. So far the deals I've seen are:

• PlayStation 3D TV for $95
  • $50 gift certificate for CinemaNow
  • $100 off a PS Vita
  • 10% off a pre-order or used game
  • Free Steam code for Renegade Ops
Here's a screenshot of the "perks" section:

3dsp.jpg

Not sure if anyone else here has registered, but took me an hour to get into the perks section. There are quite a few RFDers and NeoGAFers who got in no problem, maybe ask them? (posted the links above)

I can confirm that this site is legit; I've personally used the $95 PS Display perk and the $100 off Vita First Edition pre-order perk. It's not that time-consuming, you just answer trivia questions about gaming to gain experience as well as complete challenges that are posted (almost) daily (such as finishing Final Fantasy IV or getting 100% single-player completion in Red Dead Redemption). You can use past achievements/trophies for challenges.

[quote name='adayinthelife']Seems incredibly time consuming and confusing. Someone prove me wrong? Please?[/QUOTE]

I just screwed around with it for half an hour and couldn't figure out a single thing I was supposed to do. It really helps that it clearly tells you exactly what it wants... Clicking around and being treated to blank pages and little bits of code that look intentionally broken make everything so obvious...

There are random answers (?) posted on RFD of course, but they don't work. So yeah, I just wasted a half hour of my life. Really, this reeks of pyramid scheme. Give real stuff to the first guys, get them to troll the net bringing in new guys, and then dick the new guys around for a bunch of page hits :drool:

What actually legitimized it for me was this YouTube video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzrB8Q5gtdE&feature=player_embedded

That happened last year during the Canadian Video Game Awards (http://www.canadianvideogameawards.com). The award show is put on by Victor Lucas, the Producer of Electric Playground and Reviews on the Run. Probably the most influential gaming media guy in Canada. In order for him to interrupt his own prestigious awards gala (which was attended by the biggest developers in Canada), he certainly must be involved or bought into the idea.

Anyway, I didn't take the website seriously until I watched that video, then I started to wonder.

[quote name='ragnar14']I just screwed around with it for half an hour and couldn't figure out a single thing I was supposed to do. It really helps that it clearly tells you exactly what it wants... Clicking around and being treated to blank pages and little bits of code that look intentionally broken make everything so obvious...

There are random answers (?) posted on RFD of course, but they don't work. So yeah, I just wasted a half hour of my life. Really, this reeks of pyramid scheme. Give real stuff to the first guys, get them to troll the net bringing in new guys, and then dick the new guys around for a bunch of page hits :drool:[/QUOTE]

Did you actually register an account? The clues don't show up unless you do. There are four riddles to solve, relating to banners 01-04. When you mouse over each banner, the hint appears at the bottom of the screen. The answers change periodically, so if the stuff posted on RFD is old it would no longer be valid.

Of course... How do you think I entered random answers, and stumbled around their site trying to make sense of it?

Oh, and it seems that the red question is lit up now. Meaning some string of nonsense I copy pasted got me 25% done. They didn't tell me whatever I got right whenever it happened though, it's just lit up now. Meaning you can plug away at it for god knows how long without even knowing if you're done...

[quote name='paulhunter']Yeah, some NeoGAFers didn't think it was legit either (at first). But quite a few members have come forward to let the community know what perks they've received.

e.g.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=34562985&postcount=40

I'm staying optimistic for now.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, of course they're legit. Pyramid scams need to be or else they don't take off. Don't you remember how many kids got free PSPs from Lockers? This site will probably hit a critical mass once they actually confirm that they're giving away free $60 games. And at that point you'll have to spend ridiculous amounts of hours on them to redeem anything from them.

You don't actually think they're magically giving away stuff for free, do you?

[quote name='ragnar14']And at that point you'll have to spend ridiculous amounts of hours on them to redeem anything from them.[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure what you mean; what exactly would you be spending all these hours doing? Other than playing games for challenges, of course, which most gamers spend time doing anyway.

[quote name='ragnar14']Of course... How do you think I entered random answers, and stumbled around their site trying to make sense of it?

Oh, and it seems that the red question is lit up now. Meaning some string of nonsense I copy pasted got me 25% done. They didn't tell me whatever I got right whenever it happened though, it's just lit up now. Meaning you can plug away at it for god knows how long without even knowing if you're done... [/QUOTE]

You just have to manually refresh the screen. It shouldn't take too long to solve the riddles.

[quote name='Derfel']I'm not sure what you mean; what exactly would you be spending all these hours doing? Other than playing games for challenges, of course, which most gamers spend time doing anyway.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I'm actually having a lot of fun answering the trivia questions. Haven't got on to challenges yet, but they're all gaming related, and for games I really enjoy. e.g. right now I see L4D2 and Red Dead Redemption challenges which are two games I'm playing anyway, lol.

How easy is it to submit challenges? Did you get Exp right away?

[quote name='paulhunter']How easy is it to submit challenges? Did you get Exp right away?[/QUOTE]

I've submitted my challenges as photos, and it's very easy (just paste a link into the photo slot on the challenge tab). It might take a day or so for the challenge to be verified and the XP posted.

[quote name='Derfel']I've submitted my challenges as photos, and it's very easy (just paste a link into the photo slot on the challenge tab). It might take a day or so for the challenge to be verified and the XP posted.[/QUOTE]

Ah okay.

LOL, you know what, this reminds me of the Nintendo Power days. Remember how you had to take photos of your high scores and send it in for verification, and then you could get published in the magazine? hahaha, awesome.

[quote name='paulhunter']Ah okay.

LOL, you know what, this reminds me of the Nintendo Power days. Remember how you had to take photos of your high scores and send it in for verification, and then you could get published in the magazine? hahaha, awesome.[/QUOTE]

Heh, the good old days...

xav1ck.jpg

[quote name='Derfel']Heh, the good old days...[/QUOTE]

YES!!!!!!!!! Hahaha, awesome! Yeah, definitely the good old days.

I never once sent in a high score to Nintendo Power but thought about it every single month when I saw the NES Achievers list. In retrospect, it would have been awesome to be immortalized in Nintendo Power like that!

[quote name='Bigwig_rah']Anyone want to fill us in on how to actually get on there?[/QUOTE]

First thing to do is register. (You might have to zoom out to see the registration button).

Then check out the 4 sites. There is a clue on each site. Once you find each clue, type it on the my site and refresh the browser to confirm that it's accepted.

After that you should get in.

For the 3DS perk, you need to be at least level 18 and have to complete one challenge.

Here's an idea. Take the hours spent f'n around on this gimmick, and spend them flipping burgers. Take your paycheque and buy three 3ds's, or even better, a buy something desireable.

I spent five minutes on this site, and just about threw out my computer.

~S

[quote name='snowsquirrel']Here's an idea. Take the hours spent f'n around on this gimmick, and spend them flipping burgers. Take your paycheque and buy three 3ds's, or even better, a buy something desireable.

I spent five minutes on this site, and just about threw out my computer.

~S[/QUOTE]

I think that's the point, they want to make it challenging for people to get in. It took me half an hour to solve all the puzzles. If you can figure out how to get in there's lots of fun going on with people participating in video game challenges, answering game trivia, and talking amongst the community. Everyone inside is having a blast, really. e.g.

Akb9CM4CMAA18y_.jpg:large

[quote name='Solid-Snake-Eyes']paul hunter, you really come across as a salesman for this site.[/QUOTE]

Sorry, not my intent. I just wanted people to be aware of the deal, check it out if you want (or not). I first heard about the site over on RedFlagDeals (long thread here) and just wanted people to know about the $99 3DS deal. If you're not interested, that's fine.

I agree with Paul. This site is awesome. Leveling up with the trivia is actually fun. The community is engaging. The game challenges are interesting. Overall, it's a great site. Once you become a member, it's great. Thanks Paul for introducing me to this site.

There's no way they're going to just give away a free game to every single member of that site. I can see it being some absurdly high level/challenge completed req.

[quote name='TOLeafs']I agree with Paul. This site is awesome. Leveling up with the trivia is actually fun. The community is engaging. The game challenges are interesting. Overall, it's a great site. Once you become a member, it's great. Thanks Paul for introducing me to this site.[/QUOTE]

Most friends I recommend this site to initially complain, but the ones that actually get in have a lot of fun. Glad you're enjoying the site! PM your forum name so I know who to chat with. :)

I'm going to try doing the Wii Sports challenge even though I really have tired of the game, lol.

[quote name='Eoyote']There's no way they're going to just give away a free game to every single member of that site. I can see it being some absurdly high level/challenge completed req.[/QUOTE]

One of the NeoGAFers posted the requirements. It will take a bit of work, but definitely doable:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=34698824&postcount=308

Looks like they're giving away 250 free games, however thisAI said if more people qualify they might give out more. Hope so.

[quote name='paulhunter']

I'm going to try doing the Wii Sports challenge even though I really have tired of the game, lol.[/QUOTE]

Good luck with that one. I haven't touched wii sports in at least 2 years..

[quote name='TOLeafs']Good luck with that one. I haven't touched wii sports in at least 2 years..[/QUOTE]

When did you join? The "Cut The Rope" challenge last week was so easy, got me up a few levels. I actually managed to beat a Left 4 Dead 2 level on Expert Realism and got that challenge too. So I finally leveled up to 18, enough for the 3DS perk. It takes a lot of time but at least it's gaming, something I'd do anyway, haha. If you can get to Level 18 by next week you should have a very good chance of getting the free game. Well hopefully anyway...

[quote name='Derfel']Working on the DKCR challenge right now... it's a beast. I'm determined to do it, though...[/QUOTE]

Dude, you're an animal! haha. Don't you have to beat the entire game, 100%, and then you have to do the same thing in Mirror Mode? If you do this I'll be pretty impressed. I'm taking the easy route, doing the Tiny Tower challenge with a little Wii Sports Tennis on the side, lol.

Yep. I made it to 100% today, and now I'm working through Mirror Mode where not only are the levels reversed, but you have only one heart (one-hit death, always) and can't use Diddy (no hovering) or any items. I figured I'd start with the hardest levels and work backwards, as if I can't make it through the toughest spots then what's the point, right? Fortunately, I've already completed world eight (and nine, I guess) and am feeling optimistic.

[quote name='paulhunter']Dude, you're an animal! haha. Don't you have to beat the entire game, 100%, and then you have to do the same thing in Mirror Mode? If you do this I'll be pretty impressed. I'm taking the easy route, doing the Tiny Tower challenge with a little Wii Sports Tennis on the side, lol.[/QUOTE]

How does this site make money to be able to give us these ridiculous deals?

It's Canadian-only too, which is all the more weirder.

[quote name='kathos']How does this site make money to be able to give us these ridiculous deals?

It's Canadian-only too, which is all the more weirder.[/QUOTE]

It appears that Future Shop is a major partner. Also, maybe Ubisoft since they've supplied DLC codes.

My guess would be that it's out of the advertising budget of both companies, which as we know, can be in the $100,000s, if not more.

[quote name='paulhunter']It appears that Future Shop is a major partner. Also, maybe Ubisoft since they've supplied DLC codes.

My guess would be that it's out of the advertising budget of both companies, which as we know, can be in the $100,000s, if not more.[/QUOTE]

Yeah but what do they get out of it? I haven't found any inkling of Futureshop's foul presence anywhere.

[quote name='kathos']Yeah but what do they get out of it? I haven't found any inkling of Futureshop's foul presence anywhere.[/QUOTE]

All the perks (such as this $99 DS) are redeemable on futureshop.ca.

[quote name='paulhunter']I think that's the point, they want to make it challenging for people to get in. It took me half an hour to solve all the puzzles. If you can figure out how to get in there's lots of fun going on with people participating in video game challenges, answering game trivia, and talking amongst the community. Everyone inside is having a blast, really. e.g.

Akb9CM4CMAA18y_.jpg:large
[/QUOTE]

I love trivia, and what you are describing sounds great. I f'd around for 20 minutes, and didn't see anything to do with trivia. I did the yelodyne one, and "unlocked" the clue location, which was some yelodyne twitter account, which you needed permission to follow. I requested permission, and have not heard back. In the other areas of the sight I didn't see anything resembling trivia, just an assault on the senses.

~S

What you are doing is finding clues to see if you are "worthy" of signing up for the site. Once you accomplish all of the clue trials, you have access to the site.

[quote name='paulhunter']When did you join? The "Cut The Rope" challenge last week was so easy, got me up a few levels. I actually managed to beat a Left 4 Dead 2 level on Expert Realism and got that challenge too. So I finally leveled up to 18, enough for the 3DS perk. It takes a lot of time but at least it's gaming, something I'd do anyway, haha. If you can get to Level 18 by next week you should have a very good chance of getting the free game. Well hopefully anyway...[/QUOTE]

I joined on Thursday. I leveled up to 18 by Saturday with trivia and daily questions. I got my challenge completed the next day by beating Monkey Island.

They announced today's 20 winners of the $99 Nintendo 3DS code:

1. JimBodenMan
2. radzap
3. sambo
4. ravtx
5. Rubedizzle
6. ContentionIngression
7. Kaitokid
8. Pandalori
9. Retroid
10. joefenix
11. DoctorWho33