That one game you wanted to sit through, but you just couldn't...

bigdaddybruce44

CAGiversary!
Feedback
26 (100%)
For me, it's Final Fantasy VIII. Loved VII...loved IX...loathed VIII. I've probably tried about a half dozen times to get all the way through it, but I think I only got to disc 3 one time, ran into some monster I was woefully underpowered for, and just gave up. Drawing magic. Junctioning magic. The stupid card game. The ellipses of death...

Rogue Galaxy. It was already chipping away at my resolve with its go-nowhere story, boring characters, and repetitive, too-long "dungeons." The breaking point came during a very annoying three-stage boss. The first two stages were easy, but the final was a gigantic pain in the ass. One-on-one using the latest addition to your party (the dog character...whatever his name is). Your attacks would barely make a dent to the boss's thousands of hitpoints, while his attacks would kill you in a few hits if you weren't blocking, and he attacked almost constantly. It was a war of attrition, as you only had very brief windows of opportunity to squeeze in a hit or two. After dying for the third time I decided I'd had enough.

Final Fantasy Tactics for the PS1. Great game, and may have been my first ever FF game if memory serves. I remember having a tough time with the game in general, but I got to one boss fight that really just did me in. I tried a couple more times within the following years, but that same boss tends to choke me up every time. Haven't touched the game in years.

[quote name='poopants']Mass Effect...I tried several times due to word of mouth about how good it is, just cant get into it.[/QUOTE]

Same here. It seems like a well made game and everything, my hatred for star trek/star wars type space sci fi just wont let me enjoy it.

Also, the fact that its on sale for $5 now, Brutal Legend was a game that I thought the story and everything was enjoyable but the game was just so horrible I didnt feel like playing through the game to see the story unfold.

[quote name='poopants']Mass Effect...I tried several times due to word of mouth about how good it is, just cant get into it.[/QUOTE]

Same here as well. I've tried twice to sit through it and I just can't stay interested long enough.

Dragon Age. i bought it tried to get into it & couldnt. When ultimate edition came out, i gave my bro the original & got the ultimate ed. (on sale) & tried again. No luck.
I will try again cause im an achievement whore but i really just do not enjoy the combat system.

Twilight Princess - The first 9 hours of utter boredom killed it for me.

Skyward Sword - I haven't quit yet, but the first couple of hours have been trying my patience as well.

I've never made it through Mass Effect but have completed ME2 3 times. A friend of mine was the same way with ME and Dragon Age.

[quote name='musha666']Same here. It seems like a well made game and everything, my hatred for star trek/star wars type space sci fi just wont let me enjoy it. [/quote]

Funny, but all of that really drew me in as few games do.

Also, the fact that its on sale for $5 now, Brutal Legend was a game that I thought the story and everything was enjoyable but the game was just so horrible I didnt feel like playing through the game to see the story unfold.

I feel the same way. It was one of the games that stoked my desire for buying a console this gen. I mean, Tim Schaffer, Jack Black and heavy metal. How could it go wrong? Well, somehow it did.

[quote name='musha666']Same here. It seems like a well made game and everything, my hatred for star trek/star wars type space sci fi just wont let me enjoy it.

Also, the fact that its on sale for $5 now, Brutal Legend was a game that I thought the story and everything was enjoyable but the game was just so horrible I didnt feel like playing through the game to see the story unfold.[/QUOTE]

Oh man, I love both of those games. Especially Mass Effect. I realize a lot of people didn't like Brutal Legend, but I personally loved it. I would have preferred the game to stay action based, but the battle sequences were actually pretty awesome (though brutally hard late in the game). Fantastic story, music, and characters also.

I usually don't start a game without finishing it, but the Persona series is one that I just can not get into. I have tried a couple times with a few games in the series, and just couldn't push through far enough to get into the game.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']For me, it's Final Fantasy VIII. Loved VII...loved IX...loathed VIII. I've probably tried about a half dozen times to get all the way through it, but I think I only got to disc 3 one time, ran into some monster I was woefully underpowered for, and just gave up. Drawing magic. Junctioning magic. The stupid card game. The ellipses of death...[/QUOTE]

That was the exact game I was thinking of when I saw this thread.

Oblivion. I tried to start it up at least 5 times, and stopped within a hour or two each time. It just never 'clicked' with me.

Having said that, I've put 30+ hours into Skyrim with zero desire to stop.

I've never quite put my finger on what changed for me.

The first hour or two of Oblivion isn't great. It took me probably close to 10 hours until I finally got totally sucked into the game. It was one of the first WRPGs I played so it took a while to get used to the way the game played, how to use the compass and quest log system etc. Once I got it all down and realized how much there was to do, I was fully sucked in.

I haven't played Skyrim yet (hacked Live account), but maybe the streamlined some of that and got the game moving quicker so you were able to get into it right away where you couldn't ride out the slow start to Oblivion?

I'll have to go with Brutal Legend as well. I picked it up when it was $2.99 at Best Buy and I didn't want to believe all the people on here that said it was a bad game. I played it for a bit and it was cool at first but quickly became terrible. I really really tried playing it and kept putting it in a few more times to try and move forward but I grew more and more tired of it each time I tried. I did not like the idea of commanding a "squad". I just wanted to go around doing all the killing myself.

Devil May Cry 4 - I loved playing the demo and I normally love hack and slash games but I was very bored with it after a while and couldn't go on.

Ratchet & Clank Tools of Destruction & A Crack in Time - I bought both of these after it was highly recommended by some of my friends. I just could not get into either of them at all.

I never usually gave up on games like that before. This all happened recently and I'm starting to think that maybe as I get older I have less patience with games.

Mine would be Final Fantasy XII. Had preordered the collector's edition and everything. My husband and I played together, passing off the controller to each other every hour or two, since neither of us could wait to play it. We started putting off playing it, and finally quit after about 54 hours. I think it was the battle system and horrible main character that killed it the most for us.

[quote name='Allnatural']The breaking point came during a very annoying three-stage boss. The first two stages were easy, but the final was a gigantic pain in the ass. One-on-one using the latest addition to your party (the dog character...whatever his name is). Your attacks would barely make a dent to the boss's thousands of hitpoints, while his attacks would kill you in a few hits if you weren't blocking, and he attacked almost constantly. It was a war of attrition, as you only had very brief windows of opportunity to squeeze in a hit or two.[/QUOTE]
I know exactly what you're talking about. I loved Rogue Galaxy, but the one-on-one boss battles (yes, there were some more later on) were that game's biggest weakness. Kept very well stocked up on healing items after that first one.

Liked FFVIII (well, mostly the second time I played it) and FFT as well, though I can see why they can be hard to get into. DMC4 too, but it's one of the weaker games in its series.

Twilight Princess - about 10-20 hours of filler killed the game for me. Throw in the huge, but completely barren open-world. The uninteresting characters that I didn't care about. The brown & bloom graphics style. I was very disappointed.

Super Paper Mario - Way too much pointless, uninteresting, throw-away dialogue.

GTA IV - Even though I finished it, I was bored almost every minute. Felt like such a huge step back from San Andreas to me.

Half-Life 2 - Put about 5 hours in, and it just seemed like a boring FPS, with barely any dialogue/story/characters, in a large empty world with repetitive enemies. I later went back and beat it, and felt the same way.

Super Mario Galaxy- game was great, but I got bored of the whole mini-planet levels. I prefer Super Mario 64 style large open world levels, or even Super Mario 3D Land style levels.

Fallout New Vegas - Ran into too many glitches, and felt the game was just sloppy all-around from the writing & story, to the world design. Also, the constant load screens were too much for me to take.

Final Fantasy VII. I don't understand what the big deal is. I could not find a single reason to enjoy any aspect of the game, the characters bored me, the story bored me, and the fact that everyone on the face of the freakin' planet hails this game as "OMG BEST EVAR!!!!11" made me expect more than it could ever deliver. I made it to the
bit when Aerith gets ganked
before I just gave up. Haven't touched that game in almost six years.

Final Fantasy XIII is another, though it's already been mentioned. I still have hopes of one day finishing it, preferably before I inevitably buy XIII-2, but I cannot stand the fact that I find myself purposely avoiding battles because I hate paradigm shifting. Worst battle system ever.

Funny, FFVIII was the first game I thought of when I saw your title. I eventually DID beat it, but good god was it a chore with the junctioning and nonsensical story and unlikable characters. Ironically that "stupid card game" is one of the main reasons I choked it down and finished it. Don't you go badmouthing Triple Triad!!!

It also took me a good two years to beat Oblivion...I swear that game has a good 20-hour learning curve. Eventually I just gave in and grabbed a guide(which I never, ever do) so I could figure out what the fuck I was doing wrong. It didn’t help that I contracted Vampirism by hour 10 and it took another 10 hours of me wandering to cure it. Still, that was the most unpleasant 70 hours of gaming I’ve ever endeavored upon. Hence I think I’m gonna pass on Skyrim.

As for a game I actually couldn’t finish, that honor goes to Kingdom Hearts. I just couldn’t enjoy a game seriously, or ironically, or any-other-ly way that contained Mickey Mouse, Squall, and Sephiroth.

Final Fantasy 12. I loved every Final Fantasy, including 13 and 8. It had to have been how the voices to me sounded tinny, the combat was bad, and the story seemed interesting was dragging too long.

I couldn't finish 8 because my disc 2 was scratched and froze at the same part every time. I tried, too, but couldn't get past it.

I despised the Halo stories, but loved the multiplayer.

Demons Souls - just could not getanywhere. Came back to it a week later and couldnt remember the button combinations for blocking/magic/criticals. No in game help.

No checkpoints. Replaying the same steps over and over. 10 years ago, sure I'd be into this. But not now.

Grand Theft Auto Vice City. I just couldn't sit through it, I ended up just ignoring the missions and running around shooting at people. I really wanted to enjoy the missions, coming from playing GTA Chinatown Wars on my DS.

Dark Void. They somehow managed to make a game with jetpacks suck.
I liked Brutal Legend, the RTS segments weren't often enough to slow the game down much. I loved exploring and finding the collectables (new music), I just wished they carried over in a new game.

assasins creed revelations just tried it this weekend and i couldnt care enough to go past a few bits. looked good but i just couldnt get into it.

[quote name='Allnatural']Funny how people differ. Many of the games listed so far are ones that I absolutely adore.[/QUOTE]

That's what great about it, I think. I definitely see a number of games that I love. And I know for a fact that tons of people love FFVIII. I'm just very amused and glad that a number of people have already said that they thought of FVIII when they saw this thread. :D

I have started and left Final Fantasy VIII three times, always at the 3rd disc after the space sequence. Things just go bananas and I wasn't a fan of how the story changed so dramatically -- the central relationship as well. And yet that first half is probably one of my favorite gaming experiences ever, it's lovely game up to that point for me.

As for FFIX, it probably had the greatest introductory sequence I've seen, and the world was really well imagined. The battle system was literally brain dead though, I've never played something that slow. Dropped it after 20 hours -- no excuse for the game to be that deliberate when you're that far in.

[quote name='panzerfaust']I have started and left Final Fantasy VIII three times, always at the 3rd disc after the space sequence. Things just go bananas and I wasn't a fan of how the story changed so dramatically -- the central relationship as well. [/QUOTE]

Squall for the first 3 disks: I aint got no time for yo jibba-jabba woman!

Squall during the space sequence in the span of 30 seconds: OMGZ I WULD DIE FOR U BABEZ!!!!1

Me: ...wut?

One more vote for Brutal Legend. I loved everything about the game except for those damn RTS battles. Tried to slog through them, and I think I was pretty close to the end of the game when I stopped. Usually I won't let a part that I find difficult to get past in a game stop me from finishing it, but I just got to a point where it wasn't worth it to keep banging my head against something that was the opposite of fun to me.

[quote name='007']Oblivion. I tried to start it up at least 5 times, and stopped within a hour or two each time. It just never 'clicked' with me.

Having said that, I've put 30+ hours into Skyrim with zero desire to stop.

I've never quite put my finger on what changed for me.[/QUOTE]

Totally forgot about Oblivion. And funny thing is, I'm the same exact way. Think I tried Oblivion three different times all ending in failure. But yet, I couldn't put Skyrim down and I played the living crap out of Morrowind back in the day.

[quote name='hankmecrankme']I've never finished Portal. Yep.[/QUOTE]
Wait, what? Lol, it's like 2 hours long. I guess I can see where some might not care for it though.

I honestly can't remember the last game that I have started and not finished it. I am extremely persistent and patient when it comes to video games. The fact that I am a completionist is what usually keeps me going on games I may not be enjoying too much. With that being said, the most recent I can remember putting off for a really long time was Fallout New Vegas.

I got my hands on Fallout 3 GOTY and absolutely fell in love with that game. I was literally HOOKED. I would be at work/school and all I could think of was how much I wanted to go home and play. I would sit there and play for 12 ~ 14 hours straight on days I had free. I loved it.

Once I finished 3 I waited a few months and decided to give New Vegas a shot. Oh boy I absolutely hated it. I can't really put my finger on it but I just couldn't do it. I started playing it and flat out gave up after a few days. I went back to it a few months later and finally got the original 1000 on it. I did not enjoy it too much. Now with the Ultimate Edition coming out soon, I'm gonna jump into it again soon and hoping I can get through it.

The reason might be because when I played Fallout 3, it was pretty much the first time I played a game like that. It probably entrapped me because it was a new experience to me.

Other than that, I've played some questionable games but I've finished all of them without too many lasting impressions of "Oh god this is horrible"

Last edited by a moderator:
Resident Evil 4: This game started out really great for me, and I enjoyed the shift to the over the shoulder view instead of the fixed camera from the earlier games. Then I killed gonados.....and more gonados....and even more gonados.....then el gigante.....oh look el gigante x2.....oh yay a mine with tons of gonados in it and I can't see where the frak some of them are attacking me from. Yeah, at that point, I called it quits. Tried again a couple years later at the same save point and just wasn't feeling it. I traded it in after that.

Final Fantasy 9: For supposedly returning to the roots of Final Fantasy, this game sure succeeded in making me not care about the characters or the world they were trying to save. The music was awful, the game play felt slow, and I remember it being very grindy. Oh yeah, and it forced me to play the stupid card game at one point. I'm surprised I didn't put it down right there, cause whoever thought that was a good idea needs to be sent to play card mini game hell. Nope, I managed to get to the third disc before I decided that Kuja could have that world. It wasn't worth saving, and the main protagonist characters were like a bad Saturday morning cartoon rag tag group. In fact, Beatrix was the only character I liked, and she wasn't even playable without using a Gameshark.

The only game I couldn't sit through was Eternal Sonata. I enjoy a lot of things about the game, but couldn't push myself through it. I got up to the 3rd chapter and just never felt the need or desire to continue. Its the only game this generation I have not beaten. I was gonna force myself to beat it, but I got an offer for my 360 that I just couldn't turn down.

From Dust.
Stupid natives. Stop yelling about water, and move an inch to your left to go around it!

Final Fantasy XII - Which sucks because I've enjoyed it to a certain degree, but somehow it loses me like 15-20 hours in. It has happened twice now.

If it gets an HD rerelease I'll happily give it another shot because I think the pseudo MMO combat is awesome. Plus even Vaan is way, way less annoying than fucking Hope. Hope made me give up on FF XIII much more quickly.

bread's done
Back