Dark Side of the Moon Immersion Boxset $87.16 @ Amazon

xTraPointLess

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
http://www.amazon.com/Dark-Side-Moo...ARH4/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1327525118&sr=8-5

Cheapest I've seen the boxset. It was hovering anywhere between $100-$120 for awhile, but it just dropped. I ordered mine a couple of days ago. I highly recommend reading the reviews as there are some issues with packaging and such.

Also, I figured this would be the appropriate forum for this deal as the set contains Blurays and DVDs in addition to CDs. If a mod wants to move this, go right ahead.

[quote name='pitfallharry219']They should've done this for a Pink Floyd album that actually deserves the praise it gets.[/QUOTE]

Which Pink Floyd album would you like to see get the treatment? I ask in all honesty. Would love a good Pink Floyd discussion!

[quote name='pitfallharry219']They should've done this for a Pink Floyd album that actually deserves the praise it gets.[/QUOTE]Dark Side Of The Moon isn't an album that deserved this treatment?

Obviously, The Wall is another one that I hope goes this route, though why wouldn't DSOTM count in your estimation?

[quote name='shrike4242']Dark Side Of The Moon isn't an album that deserved this treatment?

Obviously, The Wall is another one that I hope goes this route, though why wouldn't DSOTM count in your estimation?[/QUOTE]

http://www.amazon.com/Wall-Immersion-Box-Set/dp/B004ZNAXX2/ref=pd_sim_m_3

Apparently, The Wall is coming out in a similar fashion. Good on that.

I think there are better Floyd albums than this. In my opinion, it's overhyped and a lot of the praise it gets is from potheads saying "Whoa you can sync it up to The Wizard of Oz!". It's not a bad album. I just don't think it is all that deserving of being mentioned among the greatest albums ever.

Outside of The Wall, my favorite Pink Floyd album is The Division Bell, so my taste has a right to be called questionable, I suppose. :lol:

[quote name='pitfallharry219']http://www.amazon.com/Wall-Immersion-Box-Set/dp/B004ZNAXX2/ref=pd_sim_m_3

Apparently, The Wall is coming out in a similar fashion. Good on that.

I think there are better Floyd albums than this. In my opinion, it's overhyped and a lot of the praise it gets is from potheads saying "Whoa you can sync it up to The Wizard of Oz!". It's not a bad album. I just don't think it is all that deserving of being mentioned among the greatest albums ever.

Outside of The Wall, my favorite Pink Floyd album is The Division Bell, so my taste has a right to be called questionable, I suppose. :lol:[/QUOTE]

I hear a lot of people say that Division Bell is one of their favorite Pink Floyd albums. I like the album also. There's some great tracks (Poles Apart, Take It Back, Keep Talking, High Hopes) all up and down the record. But I just don't think it holds a candle to The Wall, DSotM or Wish You Were Here. In fact, as soon as WYWH drops in price, I'll be picking that up :) It has a lot better extra content than DSotM.

The Wall boxset looks horrible when it comes to extras. Not even a Bluray 5.1 mix. That's awful. The live concert is the already released "Is There Anybody Out There?". No DVD concert for the tour. Ugh. I hate to say this, but I'm passing on The Wall Immersion. Just not enough there...

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='pitfallharry219']They should've done this for a Pink Floyd album that actually deserves the praise it gets.[/QUOTE]

You're out of your fucking mind. In terms of engineering alone, it's ground breaking. It's the best album ever made in my opinion.

As for the Immersion boxsets. Dark Side of the Moon, Wish You Were Here, and The Wall are the only 3 getting the treatment.

Yeah, considering Dark Side of the Moon has been a decent seller since it came out back in its day, overrated or not, anything that can stay selling well for decades deserves this treatment.

I must be the only person that doesn't care for The Wall. It's got way too much filler, in my opinion. I skip at least half of each disc. Wish You Were Here is my favorite Floyd album, I could listen to that all day.

[quote name='tcrash247']I must be the only person that doesn't care for The Wall. It's got way too much filler, in my opinion. I skip at least half of each disc. Wish You Were Here is my favorite Floyd album, I could listen to that all day.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't say I that don't care for it, but I definitely think it pales in comparison to Dark Side of the Moon.

[quote name='tcrash247']I must be the only person that doesn't care for The Wall. It's got way too much filler, in my opinion. I skip at least half of each disc. Wish You Were Here is my favorite Floyd album, I could listen to that all day.[/QUOTE]

I'm with you here though, I almost hate The Wall. So theatric for Floyd. I love Meddle, Animals, Dark Side and Wish You Were Here. Division Bell is not Floyd, no Waters = no Floyd.

[quote name='thePhildown']Wow, thanks op. I never even knew they released WYWH, let alone dark side of the moon. Awesome sets.[/QUOTE]

You're welcome!! Enjoy!

[quote name='DestroVega']As for the Immersion boxsets. Dark Side of the Moon, Wish You Were Here, and The Wall are the only 3 getting the treatment.[/QUOTE]

For now they are. There is talk of more Immersion sets being done which would be nice given the amount of unreleased stuff in the vault including:

- Quite a bit of Syd Barrett era material including the 1965 sessions, Vegetable Man, Scream Thy Last Scream, and others. Also the mono mix for A Saucerful Of Secrets have never been released officially on CD/digitally. Not to mention they have recently found the lost multitracks for Arnold Layne so perhaps a proper stereo mix could be done.

- Atom Heart Mother could have an set done with the quadraphonic mix along with the Live At KQED private concert that was filmed. Given that two of the songs from that performance was remastered/restored for the one hour BBC "Why Pink Floyd?" hour long promo I'm hoping this means we'll finally get the whole show in that quality.

- Meddle has an unreleased quadraphonic mix along with rumors of an early version of Echoes with alternate lyrics.

- Animals to my knowledge reportedly has a full show from the early part of that tour filmed sitting in the vault. Along with that there's supposed to be studio demo recordings of Dogs and Sheep (back when they were known as You Gotta Be Crazy and Raving And Drooling).

- A Momentary Lapse Of Reason has been remixed recently with real drums now in the album along with using an combination of Richard Wright's keyboard/piano work from live shows along with recording new keyboard/piano work in studio with I'm assuming Jon Carin to give the album a more true Floyd sound. That album is to me one of my least favorite Floyd albums but even then I'm interested to see if I like it a bit more without the late 80s sound to it. Much of the same reason why I have a hard time listening to Radio K.A.O.S. for that matter even though I think some of the ideas Roger had in the album theme wise are good.

- There is unreleased instrumental stuff from The Division Bell that was intended for an follow up instrumental album.

So yeah there's quite a bit there. Not to mention potential for Blu-Ray releases for The Wall film, Live At Pompeii, and other things as well.

Edit: On that note I find that forthcoming Immersion set for The Wall completely underwhelming. For something that's supposed to be the definitive end all be all box set it sure lacks quite a bit including an 5.1 surround sound mix, live concert footage, and so on. What's a bigger kick in the balls is that now apparently the master tapes are being restored since they are in bad shape so an 5.1 mix can be done. Apparently with all the edits done to the album its going to be a major pain. All this alone makes me wish they would postpone this box set until at least the 5.1 is completed. The live concert footage which Roger Waters owns the rights to apparently is in good enough shape to be cleaned up/restored for some kind of DVD (and maybe Blu-Ray) release. Would be nice to get that since the bootlegs that have been around for years doesn't do the live show justice.

[quote name='DestroVega']Bring on a Blu-Ray of 'Pompeii' love that film.[/QUOTE]

As long as it has the original version I'm in. The directors cut is awful trash. While at it can we finally get the quadraphonic mix on the Blu-Ray. Yes believe it or not an quadraphonic mix was done for Pompeii.

[quote name='Demolition Man']As long as it has the original version I'm in. The directors cut is awful trash. While at it can we finally get the quadraphonic mix on the Blu-Ray. Yes believe it or not an quadraphonic mix was done for Pompeii.[/QUOTE]

Yeah that directors cut totally blows

Hey All,

Don't know if this might be hapenning, but the Lightning Deal on Amazon today at 8ET says "On its release in 1975, this record topped the album charts in both the UK and the US."

I went to wikipedia to look it up and apparently Wish You Were Here debuted at No.1 in the UK. In the US, however, it didn't go to number 1 until it's second week. I looked back at the No. 1 albums and at least in the UK, there really aren't any high profile albums that might be selling on Amazon's Lightning Deals.

Queen's "A Night At The Opera" and Led Zepellin's "Physical Graffiti" are really the only other relavent albums...

Anyone wanna double check or provide more info?

Update: The Lightning Deal right before the one mentioned above goes live was a special limited edition of MyloXyloto. I'm crossing my fingers that the next deal is for the Immersion Box of WYWH...

[quote name='xTraPointLess']Update: The Lightning Deal right before the one mentioned above goes live was a special limited edition of MyloXyloto. I'm crossing my fingers that the next deal is for the Immersion Box of WYWH...[/QUOTE]

It will be, as even the product page has that same exact wording:

http://www.amazon.com/Wish-You-Were...AUVW/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1328576875&sr=8-5

Product description:

On its release in 1975 Wish You Were here topped the album charts in both the UK and the US. Reflecting the bands thoughts of the time on the music business, and exploring themes of absence, Wish You Were Here contains the classic cut Shine On You Crazy Diamond, a tribute to founder member Syd Barrett. The Immersion version features the classic Studio album digitally remastered and presented as a limited edition high quality boxset featuring rare and unreleased audio and video material, plus a new 40 page oversized perfect-bound booklet, a book of original photographs edited by Jill Furmanovsky, exclusive merchandise and facsimile collectables.

I was lucky enough to see Pink Floyd minus Roger during their Pulse tour. It was awesome, very freaking amazingly awesome.

To me, Pink Floyd is Roger Waters and David Gilmore with both Mason and Wright in their as well. To me, Barrett is not part of the Floyd that I love.

I would think that 95% of all Pink Floyd fans would disagree. I do get what you are saying though and just because you don't care for the album does not mean your any less of a fan than myself.

[quote name='shajek']Any Floyd is good Floyd. Nuff said.[/QUOTE]

False in my opinion. I am a huge fan of Gilmore but must admit that I like Roger even more. Have you listen to the Final Cut? It was all Roger and it basically sucks as a Pink Floyd album. I have Roger's solo stuff too which is not much better, yet I am still a huge fan of his Floyd stuff. Atom Heart Mother blows too as do a few of their lesser albums.

[quote name='DestroVega']Bring on a Blu-Ray of 'Pompeii' love that film.[/QUOTE]

I have it on VHS, it was a special order around 18 years or so. I really enjoyed it back in the day.

[quote name='iluvmywife']To me, Pink Floyd is Roger Waters and David Gilmore with both Mason and Wright in their as well. To me, Barrett is not part of the Floyd that I love.[/quote]

Without Syd there would be no Pink Floyd.

False in my opinion. I am a huge fan of Gilmore but must admit that I like Roger even more. Have you listen to the Final Cut? It was all Roger and it basically sucks as a Pink Floyd album. I have Roger's solo stuff too which is not much better, yet I am still a huge fan of his Floyd stuff. Atom Heart Mother blows too as do a few of their lesser albums.

From my understanding Roger wanted to release The Final Cut under his own name by David threatened to take Roger to court if he did. I love The Final Cut as-is but its a very dark album. I can see why some folks don't like it since it's not what people think of when it comes to Pink Floyd. People expect songs like Shine On You Crazy Diamond, Money, and Comfortably Numb. Not songs revolving around politics, anti-war, and even the moments leading to the end of the world.

Atom Heart Mother is a decent album. The title track kinda drags especially towards the end. The live band only version Floyd did around that time is much better since they condensed the song down which makes it much stronger and better. The B-side of the album is its better material especially If and Fat Old Sun.

I have it on VHS, it was a special order around 18 years or so. I really enjoyed it back in the day.

The current DVD release is worth picking up just for the original cut without the interviews between songs in the bonuses. I do hope the inevitable re-release potentially on Blu-Ray will contain the original cut with options to either have the interview segments inserted in or left out.

[quote name='gkrykewy']Now 71.32[/QUOTE]

That is kinda shocking. I'm surprised it's so low.

On another note, I'm enjoying the Wish You Were Here Immersion box. The Quad Mixes are pretty cool. Haven't popped in the Bluray audio yet as my full stereo system isn't currently hooked up, but I can't wait to hear those!

[quote name='Demolition Man']Now $75.28

Probably will drop again right around when The Wall one comes out.[/QUOTE]

I hope so but I don't know if I could justify the expense, not to say that they are not worth it. If I didn't already have several expensive hobbies, then I would be all over several of these sets. As it is, I can only hope that they are heavily overproduced and will at one point reach my very low buy point.

Sets I would love to have:

Dark Side of the Moon
Wish You Were Here
Animals
The Wall
Momentary Lapse of Reason
Division Bell

I could probably do without the latter two if I had to although the Division Bell holds up a lot better than I thought it would when it was released.

Did anybody caught them on the Pulse Tour?

I saw them at the old Texas Stadium on the Friday night show, best concert ever!!!

[quote name='ssjmichael']wow, down to $62.99 now![/QUOTE]

Damn, starting to regret buying the "experience edition" now, as that makes this that much harder to justify even at the lower price.

And of course my copy of the experience edition of The Wall came today, so I can regret that purchase six months from now when that box set drops. ;)

I think it'll drop back down again. Seems like it moves down a bit further every week. Maybe if I wait long enough it'll hit the $50ish spot in no time.

I wonder if the lower price is due to way more Dark Side of The Moon Immersion sets made than the Wish You Were Here Immersion set. That $69 price is so tempting.

Jason

[quote name='Demolition Man']I think it'll drop back down again. Seems like it moves down a bit further every week. Maybe if I wait long enough it'll hit the $50ish spot in no time.[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately it went the other direction as it is now $86.24. I am hoping it will drop back down to about $60 again as I would jump at that price.

[quote name='TheCarsForever']Unfortunately it went the other direction as it is now $86.24. I am hoping it will drop back down to about $60 again as I would jump at that price.[/QUOTE]

I am really feeling bad I didn't buy when this set was $69.99 now - it is up to $111.03! Hopefully it will drop again, but I fear it won't.

[quote name='TheCarsForever']I am really feeling bad I didn't buy when this set was $69.99 now - it is up to $111.03! Hopefully it will drop again, but I fear it won't.[/QUOTE]

Yikes! $120.42 now! This is almost twice what the lowest price was. I now regret not having bought it at $69!

[quote name='TheCarsForever']Yikes! $120.42 now! This is almost twice what the lowest price was. I now regret not having bought it at $69![/QUOTE]

It isn't back down the $60 range, but this set has come back down to $96.47 presently which isn't much higher than the price that started this thread.

bread's done
Back