* * * * * 7 votes

Japanese Video Game Figure Thread

figure collectible japan

#3091 lilman   Only the ordinary. CAGiversary!   4518 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

Posted 18 February 2020 - 06:51 PM

Did your broken reflector not go back into place? All the F4F Amaterasu have paint flaws all over. Definitely lower quality than any Japan made scale. They're not too noticeable at normal viewing distance, but up close it's disappointing that F4F was ok with this level of paintwork at this price. At full price, especially for the more expensive exclusive edition, I would have been pissed. At the cheaper price we got from Hot Topic, I'm ok with it (although I wouldn't be with a broken part on top of the poor paintwork).

Have there been any animal Figma so far? I agree that the Nendo ver is very different from the Ammy we think of. Looks more like Chibiterasu from Okamiden.

#3092 RKasa   The Artist Formerly Known as ブルー神羅 CAGiversary!   4379 Posts   Joined 14.4 Years Ago  

Posted 18 February 2020 - 09:32 PM

Did your broken reflector not go back into place? All the F4F Amaterasu have paint flaws all over. Definitely lower quality than any Japan made scale. They're not too noticeable at normal viewing distance, but up close it's disappointing that F4F was ok with this level of paintwork at this price. At full price, especially for the more expensive exclusive edition, I would have been pissed. At the cheaper price we got from Hot Topic, I'm ok with it (although I wouldn't be with a broken part on top of the poor paintwork).

Have there been any animal Figma so far? I agree that the Nendo ver is very different from the Ammy we think of. Looks more like Chibiterasu from Okamiden.

It does, just barely, but the paint flaws were something else. I have 15+ year old Kaiyodo figures that are better painted. There was also a small scuff mark on the top of the base.

There are animal figma, but not many of them! Higma is one in my own collection, and there are also figma horses (though IIRC, technically, they're figma accessories). There's also the figma of Iron Fossil and Knight Fossil from the Darius series, which are mechs shaped like fish.

#3093 lilman   Only the ordinary. CAGiversary!   4518 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

Posted 20 February 2020 - 01:23 PM

Nendo Neptune and Nendo Purple Heart are up for pre-order.

945603.jpg941882.jpg

They are limited+exclusive releases that normally would only be available in blu-ray bundles, but this time GSC JP, GSC US, and some partner shops (only TOM so far) are selling them unbundled.

Neptune: https://www.goodsmil...ersary-ver-1406

Purple Heart: https://www.goodsmil...rple-heart-1407

Considering they each come with only two faces and one accessory, they are expensive for what you get. Compared to the aftermarket prices of their previous releases though (over $100 ea), those interested should pre-order.

#3094 lilman   Only the ordinary. CAGiversary!   4518 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

Posted 06 March 2020 - 01:22 PM

TOM has $20 off orders of $50 on select series this weekend, March 6-8: https://otakumode.co...el-coupons-2020

Series include Fate, Vocaloid, My Hero Academia, Sword Art Online, One Piece, Evangelion, Love Live, Demon Slayer, Persona, and Re:Zero.

GSC is re-releasing Xenoblade 2 Homura and Hikari.

656326.jpg675897.jpg

They were going for at least 2.5x original price (50k ea) in aftermarket. The re-releases are exclusive to GSC JP, AmiAmi, and Amazon JP. Amazon JP is the cheapest place to get them since they remove Japan tax at checkout and their shipping is cheap. GSC JP is next best as they charge flat rate shipping. Shipping from AmiAmi would be most expensive since these are so big.

Oh, and if you haven't noticed already, expect figure delays due to coronavirus shutting down factories.

Side note, anyone else having fun with TOM's Sega Catcher? I'm at 21 23 wins including 2 3 FuRyu Osakabehime's and 8 Kirby's:

Spoiler
I feel bad for them considering all my plays have been free and every week they send me an EMS package with a shipping cost of at least 2k ^^;

#3095 lilman   Only the ordinary. CAGiversary!   4518 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

Posted 08 March 2020 - 11:46 PM

HS bargain bin begins 3/9 12pm JST (tonight, 3/8 11pm EDT).

#3096 lilman   Only the ordinary. CAGiversary!   4518 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

Posted 11 March 2020 - 06:26 PM

HLJ Spring Sale: https://www.hlj.com/spring-sale-2020

HS bargain bin actually had deals in it, but the HLJ spring sale looks weak.

#3097 lilman   Only the ordinary. CAGiversary!   4518 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

Posted 12 March 2020 - 01:51 PM

Nendoroid Dragon Quest XI The Luminary (September 2020):

FIGURE-057127.jpg

#3098 RKasa   The Artist Formerly Known as ブルー神羅 CAGiversary!   4379 Posts   Joined 14.4 Years Ago  

Posted 12 March 2020 - 04:03 PM

HLJ Spring Sale: https://www.hlj.com/spring-sale-2020

HS bargain bin actually had deals in it, but the HLJ spring sale looks weak.

You got HLJ's site to work? I managed to place orders yesterday and today (never mind the figures, there are some pretty good deals on hobby supplies), but the site's pretty broken at times, with errors and sluggish load times. I've never seen it this bad before, even during a sale.

#3099 lilman   Only the ordinary. CAGiversary!   4518 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

Posted 12 March 2020 - 04:29 PM

You got HLJ's site to work?

Can't say much since I haven't ordered from HLJ recently. I have noticed a long delay in page loading where the images show up immediately but the prices take forever to appear, often requiring page refreshing. Their site has always been a bit slow, but this is much slower than usual.

What kind of hobby supplies did you pick up?

#3100 RKasa   The Artist Formerly Known as ブルー神羅 CAGiversary!   4379 Posts   Joined 14.4 Years Ago  

Posted 13 March 2020 - 06:17 PM

What kind of hobby supplies did you pick up?

Sandpaper sticks, metal files, and brushes for plastic model kit building, and some (more) black and clear Multi Plate sets for action figure display purposes.

#3101 RKasa   The Artist Formerly Known as ブルー神羅 CAGiversary!   4379 Posts   Joined 14.4 Years Ago  

Posted 17 March 2020 - 02:31 PM

Tokyo Otaku Mode: Spring Sale 2020. Ends 11:59PM, March 26 (PDT).

#3102 lilman   Only the ordinary. CAGiversary!   4518 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

Posted 19 March 2020 - 01:57 PM

Nendoroid Isabelle summer ver is getting a third release:

FIGURE-044645.jpg

#3103 lilman   Only the ordinary. CAGiversary!   4518 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

Posted 20 March 2020 - 12:19 PM

I don't collect plushes or keychains, but I'll admit this is adorable:

eik04963-0.jpg

#3104 RKasa   The Artist Formerly Known as ブルー神羅 CAGiversary!   4379 Posts   Joined 14.4 Years Ago  

Posted 27 March 2020 - 12:40 AM

It's official: the best FFVII figures of 1997 2020 are getting a Western release, including the secret Miss Cloud (not shown):

962c4f5e53b9f8078a7b1204051d7a0d_KR_350.

So far, I've seen them at Square Enix's online store and BigBadToyStore (and preordered two sets from the latter).

#3105 lilman   Only the ordinary. CAGiversary!   4518 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

Posted 31 March 2020 - 02:00 PM

So... this is a thing:

FIGURE-057903.jpg

Nendoroid Snow Miku 2.0 (August 2020) (limited+exclusive):

2413319.jpg

Clever idea to include a closet of her snow outfits from over the years. Available to pre-order from GSC JP and GSC US.

#3106 RKasa   The Artist Formerly Known as ブルー神羅 CAGiversary!   4379 Posts   Joined 14.4 Years Ago  

Posted 01 April 2020 - 01:24 PM

NEWS: Japan Post has temporarily suspended delivery to a number of countries until further notice. Of special note is that SAL (including RSAL and SAL Parcel) is suspended for ALL countries which can receive those deliveries.

#3107 lilman   Only the ordinary. CAGiversary!   4518 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

Posted 01 April 2020 - 01:34 PM

^ And I just had my first pre-order in a while ship from AmiAmi (Nendo Rei Ayanami and a Rem prize figure). Guess that's going right back to AmiAmi.

I heard AmiAmi will continue taking payment for orders as they come in stock and hold onto them until they can be shipped. They are also accepting pandemic-related cancellations for orders without penalty to your account.

HLJ has temporarily stopped automatically shipping private warehouse items after 60 days to accommodate countries with no/limited shipping options. You may still get automated warning emails that your 60 days are about to be reached, but just ignore them. HLJ will let us know when automated shipping will begin again.

#3108 Action!   Game fan game dev CAGiversary!   7400 Posts   Joined 10.5 Years Ago  

Posted 03 April 2020 - 06:01 PM

^ And I just had my first pre-order in a while ship from AmiAmi (Nendo Rei Ayanami and a Rem prize figure). Guess that's going right back to AmiAmi.

I heard AmiAmi will continue taking payment for orders as they come in stock and hold onto them until they can be shipped. They are also accepting pandemic-related cancellations for orders without penalty to your account.

HLJ has temporarily stopped automatically shipping private warehouse items after 60 days to accommodate countries with no/limited shipping options. You may still get automated warning emails that your 60 days are about to be reached, but just ignore them. HLJ will let us know when automated shipping will begin again.

Good to know; I've got a pretty dense year of pre-orders with them. Thanks for sharing the info.

#3109 lilman   Only the ordinary. CAGiversary!   4518 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

Posted 03 April 2020 - 10:10 PM

TOM 8th anniversary sale: https://otakumode.co...versary_coupons

Buy a select item (including a $1 TOM premium reward), get a 50% off coupon for select item. Points cannot be used on the 50% off item, and the list of items the coupon works on seems weak.

Free $8 in TOM points by answering a simple quiz (all answers in their history page): https://otakumode.co...nniversary_quiz

My TOM premium is about to expire. Although I haven't placed any orders with them lately, I enjoy the daily free play to  Sega Catcher, so I'm going to keep my premium going.

#3110 lilman   Only the ordinary. CAGiversary!   4518 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

Posted 06 April 2020 - 01:51 PM

HS bargain bin: https://www.1999.co....ng/list/360/0/1

Remember there is no SAL small packet right now, so even if you find a good deal, you may lose out paying for expensive shipping.

I talked to AmiAmi about holding my paid orders until SAL is available again. They replied that because other shipping methods (ie the expensive ones) are still available to the US, they are reserving warehouse space for orders from countries where no shipping method is currently available. Looks like I have some expensive shipping coming up >_<

HLJ has a good chart of the currently available shipping methods: https://support.hlj....es/900000466026

#3111 RKasa   The Artist Formerly Known as ブルー神羅 CAGiversary!   4379 Posts   Joined 14.4 Years Ago  

Posted 06 April 2020 - 09:47 PM

HS bargain bin: https://www.1999.co....ng/list/360/0/1
Remember there is no SAL small packet right now, so even if you find a good deal, you may lose out paying for expensive shipping.

Yeah, I usually look at those sales shortly after they go up, but didn't bother this time. Most of the time, what I like to get from Hobby Search sales are goods with maybe an inexpensive figure or model kit or two, and that's it, but it's not worth it for right now. I'm worried enough about the four SAL packages I've had en route since March, three of them without tracking-- especially since I'll probably be moving soon.

#3112 lilman   Only the ordinary. CAGiversary!   4518 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

Posted 07 April 2020 - 03:43 PM

GSC JP is running a Stay at Home campaign through April 19 with a selection of figures with free shipping: https://goodsmilesho...-Shipping/c/512

GSC US has some prior con exclusives up for pre-order (free shipping as usual for their pre-orders): https://www.goodsmil...xclusive-67-327

#3113 RKasa   The Artist Formerly Known as ブルー神羅 CAGiversary!   4379 Posts   Joined 14.4 Years Ago  

Posted 08 April 2020 - 01:24 PM

I'm not an Odin Sphere (or Vanillaware) fan, but this is a nice figure:

FIGURE-058129.jpg

On the trading figure side of things, the latest Pokemon Terrarium and Kirby Terrarium sets have gone up for preorder. I have some of each, and they're great little desk figures.

#3114 lilman   Only the ordinary. CAGiversary!   4518 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

Posted 12 April 2020 - 02:59 PM

TOM has 20x points (30x on new pre-orders for premium) this week. Ends April 18.

#3115 lilman   Only the ordinary. CAGiversary!   4518 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

Posted 16 April 2020 - 12:00 PM

Figma Sekiro (January 2021):

FIGURE-058350.jpg

DX ver, pictured, includes Loaded Axe, Loaded Spear and Loaded Umbrella Shinobi Prosthetic Tools along with a Sculptor's Idol and Death Effect Sheet.

GSC Shop bonus Sweet Rice Ball.

All shops include bonus crazy Figma tax.

A few PAK FFVII Remaster figures are up for pre-order, including Cloud, Tifa, Aerith, and Barret.

FIGURE-058005.jpg

#3116 lilman   Only the ordinary. CAGiversary!   4518 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

Posted 18 April 2020 - 01:52 PM

Paid for my first AmiAmi pre-order in a while, so I wanted to give a heads up on the current shipping situation.

If you shipped anything around the end of March via SAL, that package has likely been returned to sender already due to the ongoing suspension of SAL. Each shop is handling SAL returns differently. It boils down to the following possibilities:

1) Refund the order, including shipping cost

2) Hold onto the package until SAL is available again

3) Re-ship using an available shipping method and refund shipping

AmiAmi is offering options 1, 2, and possibly 3. They recently got one of my orders back but haven't processed it yet since they have a flood of packages coming back right now. I'm hoping they will be able to do option 3 and move the contents of the return to another order, refund my SAL shipping cost (AmiAmi points would be fine), and ship again via another method. HLJ is putting returned items back into your private warehouse and refunding shipping. I've heard TOM is only issuing refunds without asking the buyer what they want.

Air Small Packet, Air Parcel, EMS, DHL, and FedEx are still currently shipping from Japan to US. Air Small Packet is similar to RSAL but a little more expensive and faster. EMS is expensive and has been experiencing delays due to being overwhelmed, so instead of taking a few days, it will likely take a few weeks. DHL should still be a speedy few days to the US, according to their website.

For a price comparison, I just shipped two Nendoroids from AmiAmi. My normal RSAL cost for two Nendos is 1590yen. I had to choose between Air Small Packet for 1890yen, DHL for 2170yen, and EMS for 2720yen. I went with DHL for the speed and being not too costly.

#3117 RKasa   The Artist Formerly Known as ブルー神羅 CAGiversary!   4379 Posts   Joined 14.4 Years Ago  

Posted 18 April 2020 - 08:56 PM

I've heard TOM is only issuing refunds without asking the buyer what they want.

FWIW, I had a TOM shipment from the end of March sent back a couple days ago, but I have not yet heard from TOM themselves about its status. I'll keep this thread updated.

I also had a CDJapan shipment from early March that hasn't arrived yet. If I hear about that one being sent back, will also let you all know how that goes.

Good to hear about HLJ. They account for the last two packages from Japan that I'd been waiting on. Don't know what the status is of those yet.

#3118 lilman   Only the ordinary. CAGiversary!   4518 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

Posted 18 April 2020 - 10:03 PM

FWIW, I had a TOM shipment from the end of March sent back a couple days ago, but I have not yet heard from TOM themselves about its status. I'll keep this thread updated.

After reading on reddit that TOM simply refunded an order without giving the buyer options, if that is not the outcome you want, I would proactively email them first and let them know what you rather do, either hold for SAL reopening or upgrade shipping.

#3119 lilman   Only the ordinary. CAGiversary!   4518 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

Posted 20 April 2020 - 10:20 PM

GSC JP is offering 20% off all in-stock figures: https://goodsmilesho...ask-Bonus/c/516
Many older releases included, so you may find something you haven't seen in new condition in a while. Some amazing rare figures were included, but those sold out fast. I missed Nendo Hozuki ;_;

All include bonus Nendoroid Mask... whatever that is.

#3120 RKasa   The Artist Formerly Known as ブルー神羅 CAGiversary!   4379 Posts   Joined 14.4 Years Ago  

Posted 21 April 2020 - 03:05 PM

TOM has a new tag for items in their US warehouse.

They have also posted a notice about recent parcel returns to Japan Post. Key section: If you find that your shipment is returning to us, rest assured that in light of this unique situation we are currently looking into ways to have your shipment be reshipped at no exta cost to you as soon as shipping services resume at Japan Post. Once we get closer to reshipping your order, you'll be receiving an email from us letting you know of the details.