* * * * * 7 votes

Japanese Video Game Figure Thread

figure collectible japan

#3151 lilman   Only the ordinary. CAGiversary!   4519 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

Posted 05 June 2020 - 09:49 PM

Figma Lucina re-release is up for pre-order. She was going for a lot in aftermarket.

#3152 lilman   Only the ordinary. CAGiversary!   4519 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

Posted 06 June 2020 - 08:05 PM

GSC US Shop is no longer offering free shipping on pre-orders. It's now $4.50 per figure. Still a good price for shipping, but considering their prices are full retail vs the discounts you get from most other shops, I will now only use them for exclusives.

My Figma Darkness finally came in from GSC JP after 1.5 months in EMS purgatory. I also have an RSAL package shipped 4/1 that was somehow not returned to sender and just reached US. While shipping from Japan is still limited to third-party companies like DHL, its nice to see some of the regular mail trickling through.

#3153 whoknows   Time and Eternity for all of time and eternity CAGiversary!   40127 Posts   Joined 16.1 Years Ago  

Posted 07 June 2020 - 04:42 AM

So SAL is still a no go? I was thinking of ordering a figure from Solaris, but if it's going to be awhile before SAL is back I might just try to find it form a US seller.

#3154 lilman   Only the ordinary. CAGiversary!   4519 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

Posted 07 June 2020 - 10:23 AM

So SAL is still a no go? I was thinking of ordering a figure from Solaris, but if it's going to be awhile before SAL is back I might just try to find it form a US seller.

SAL is still completely shutdown to all of the world, and other mail like EMS is closed to most countries, including US. The only options right now are DHL, FedEx, and I think UPS.

You can follow Japan Post shipping news here: https://www.post.jap...n/index_en.html

#3155 Vinny   Bang, bang... pew... CAGiversary!   23571 Posts   Joined 16.1 Years Ago  

Posted 08 June 2020 - 02:47 AM

Not related to a figure, but what's the best Japan to US forwarding service? I can't believe I'm asking this, but I want to import a mug that I cannot find anywhere but Amazon Jp. 

#3156 Covnam   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1377 Posts   Joined 15.6 Years Ago  

Posted 08 June 2020 - 03:58 AM

Not related to a figure, but what's the best Japan to US forwarding service? I can't believe I'm asking this, but I want to import a mug that I cannot find anywhere but Amazon Jp. 

Is it through a 3rd party seller? Usually I find that most things can ship to the US. Just curious.

#3157 Vinny   Bang, bang... pew... CAGiversary!   23571 Posts   Joined 16.1 Years Ago  

Posted 08 June 2020 - 06:02 AM

Is it through a 3rd party seller? Usually I find that most things can ship to the US. Just curious.

Yeah, there are 3 diff third party sellers who have it but none let me check out with a US address. 

#3158 RKasa   The Artist Formerly Known as ブルー神羅 CAGiversary!   4380 Posts   Joined 14.4 Years Ago  

Posted 08 June 2020 - 01:37 PM

HLJ Summer Sale starts in less than 24 hours, at 11AM JST on June 9.

From Japan is my current go-to. Good service, and very transparent with how they calculate their fees.

#3159 RKasa   The Artist Formerly Known as ブルー神羅 CAGiversary!   4380 Posts   Joined 14.4 Years Ago  

Posted 11 June 2020 - 12:49 PM

Nendo Ammy!

FIGURE-059979.jpg

Nendo Ammy DX!

FIGURE-059978.jpg

Both Ammies come with a Praise Orb if one preorders from either the Goodsmile Online Shop or Goodsmile US.

Nendoroid Sakura Amamiya from the latest Sakura Wars game also went up for preorder:

FIGURE-059977.jpg

#3160 RKasa   The Artist Formerly Known as ブルー神羅 CAGiversary!   4380 Posts   Joined 14.4 Years Ago  

Posted 12 June 2020 - 10:56 AM

GSC US Shop is no longer offering free shipping on pre-orders. It's now $4.50 per figure. Still a good price for shipping, but considering their prices are full retail vs the discounts you get from most other shops, I will now only use them for exclusives.

I preordered standard edition Ammy there this morning and shipping was $5.45. It probably varies by figure, or it could be because I used a PO Box shipping address.

#3161 lilman   Only the ordinary. CAGiversary!   4519 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

Posted 12 June 2020 - 01:39 PM

I preordered standard edition Ammy there this morning and shipping was $5.45. It probably varies by figure, or it could be because I used a PO Box shipping address.

The flat $4.50 ea thing was temporary. Looks like they've been trying to figure out the best way to charge for shipping since costs on their end increased.

Now it's 50% off shipping for pre-orders. This is a little worse if you're buying a single figure, but better if you're buying more than one since each additional item's shipping is less than $4.50.

I think I'm going to go with standard Ammy was well. I like the extra glaive and rosary instruments in the DX ver, but probably not worth the extra $20. Reflector is the first instrument I think of anyway.

#3162 RKasa   The Artist Formerly Known as ブルー神羅 CAGiversary!   4380 Posts   Joined 14.4 Years Ago  

Posted 12 June 2020 - 04:57 PM

I think I'm going to go with standard Ammy was well. I like the extra glaive and rosary instruments in the DX ver, but probably not worth the extra $20. Reflector is the first instrument I think of anyway.

I actually don't like Okami all that much, but I really like Amaterasu and her design (and Issun). She's a little like KOS-MOS for me in that way :razz: Still not enough for me to spring for the DX, though.

Someone in the MFC comments on one of the Ammies said that they would've liked to have seen a flower trail effect part. Now that would've gotten me to preorder the DX ver.

#3163 lilman   Only the ordinary. CAGiversary!   4519 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

Posted 12 June 2020 - 08:27 PM

Someone in the MFC comments on one of the Ammies said that they would've liked to have seen a flower trail effect part. Now that would've gotten me to preorder the DX ver.

Flower trail would have been great. A celestial brush attached to a stand arm would have been cool too, maybe even with an acrylic plate of one of her drawings, such as renewal.

The DX is a lot more for not much more. I've bought DX Nendos before, but still debating this one...

#3164 lilman   Only the ordinary. CAGiversary!   4519 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

Posted 18 June 2020 - 10:12 AM

Figma Kid Icarus Pit and Dark Pit (January 2021) (limited+exclusive) (re-release):

FIGURE-060123.jpg

FIGURE-060122.jpg

I was not expecting to see these guys again. Aftermarket prices have been high, so great opportunity if you missed out the first time. That said, you can see how much Figma prices have gone up since their original release in 2013. I paid $30 for Pit from AmiAmi back then, and now his retail is around $80. GSC US looks like the cheapest place to get these.

#3165 lilman   Only the ordinary. CAGiversary!   4519 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

Posted 18 June 2020 - 09:36 PM

Nendoroid The Last of Us Part II Ellie (November 2020):
01-1000x1000.jpg

Well that came out of nowhere. I haven't played this series, but she looks well done. Interestingly, GSC JP lists her as November while GSC US as December. I guess they're factoring in global shipping delays now.

#3166 Rig   Rig = Lunar CAGiversary!   14186 Posts   Joined 16.3 Years Ago  

Posted 20 June 2020 - 01:24 PM

It looks like the Splatoon 2 Inkling Boy Figma got delayed until September.

I’m a bit worried that I forgot(?) to preorder last year? I can’t find any confirmation email, and I can’t find any email for an account with Goodsmile.

I’m hoping I checked out as a guest, and it will suddenly just “show up” for me when it releases. I have the Inkling Girl DX and really want the pair! :/

#3167 elessar123  

Posted 22 June 2020 - 07:18 PM

Yea, I forgot to preorder Ciri, apparantly.

#3168 RKasa   The Artist Formerly Known as ブルー神羅 CAGiversary!   4380 Posts   Joined 14.4 Years Ago  

Posted 23 June 2020 - 01:15 PM

Tokyo Otaku Mode: 20x extra points (30x on new figures). Premium members only. Ends June 30, 11:59pm PST.

I could've used this a week or two ago :razz:

#3169 RKasa   The Artist Formerly Known as ブルー神羅 CAGiversary!   4380 Posts   Joined 14.4 Years Ago  

Posted 30 June 2020 - 01:28 PM

The last few days have been interesting in the world of figures.

Nendoroid Connor from Detroit: Become Human :lol:

FIGURE-060490.jpg

Nendoroid Beef Boss from Fortnite :lol:

FIGURE-060518.jpg

Okay, let's see what other weird/hilarious new video game figu-- oh. Oh my...

1/8 SCALE FEENA FROM YS ORIGIN?! :hot: :hot: :hot:

FIGURE-060523.jpg

I, uh... may take advantage of TOM's current points promo and get her, Ys only being one of my favorite series of all time... (ETA: Yep, ordered. With spent points, earned points, and shipping factored in, she came to around $120)

#3170 lilman   Only the ordinary. CAGiversary!   4519 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

Posted 04 July 2020 - 10:17 AM

GSC Anime Expo Lite exclusives are up for pre-order: https://www.goodsmileus.com/ax-lite
Gsc-axlite-202007.jpg

Sakura finally gets a Nendo! I ordered her along with shoot style Midoriya (already have his first Nendo, but love this one's outfit, activated quirk face, and quirk effects).

These will be available in two batches. This first batch is already in stock as these were supposed to be sold at Anime Expo (canceled for obvious reasons). The second batch goes on sale in a few days, will also be available on GSC JP, and will not ship until December.

#3171 lilman   Only the ordinary. CAGiversary!   4519 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

Posted 07 July 2020 - 03:53 PM

Nendoroid Isabelle winter ver (December 2020) (re-release):
FIGURE-035704.jpg
I already have her summer ver (which I think is better), but may get this as well this time.

F4F Majora's Mask pvc ver (Q4 2020):
image.png
F4F already had an expensive ($350+) resin mask. Now they're releasing a more affordable ($100) pvc version with the light up feature of the exclusive edition resin.
-Edit- $85 at BBTS: https://www.bigbadto...nDetails/129826

#3172 lilman   Only the ordinary. CAGiversary!   4519 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

Posted 16 July 2020 - 09:48 PM

So how much can shipping cost these days? Well, I got lucky that back in December 2018, I pre-ordered Hobby Max 1/7 Chii from HLJ, because while they charged me 4720yen for DHL shipping, AmiAmi is 7.5k, BiJ 15.2k, and HS 16k! Be careful ordering large figures these days.

I contacted AmiAmi about a RSAL shipment that was returned back in April. They were able to refund and reship via DHL. There is still no sign of SAL/EMS coming back any time soon.

#3173 RKasa   The Artist Formerly Known as ブルー神羅 CAGiversary!   4380 Posts   Joined 14.4 Years Ago  

Posted 17 July 2020 - 03:06 PM

So how much can shipping cost these days? Well, I got lucky that back in December 2018, I pre-ordered Hobby Max 1/7 Chii from HLJ, because while they charged me 4720yen for DHL shipping, AmiAmi is 7.5k, BiJ 15.2k, and HS 16k! Be careful ordering large figures these days.

Wow! Guess I'm sticking with HLJ when it comes to non-postal shipping.

Their Private Warehouse makes it so easy, too. I've been building up a pile of orders/preorders there and am planning to make my next shipment request in August.

#3174 lilman   Only the ordinary. CAGiversary!   4519 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

Posted 17 July 2020 - 09:07 PM

HLJ's private warehouse is so convenient. I still use AmiAmi the most since I like combining pre-orders with pre-owned (although with shipping fees these days, I've not been ordering pre-owned). HLJ is my go-to for larger figures. Amazon JP is good too for large figures if you don't mind not having the ability to cancel pre-orders or delay/combine shipping like HLJ.

My two AmiAmi orders that shipped yesterday via DHL arrived today! How does DHL do this during a pandemic?

#3175 lilman   Only the ordinary. CAGiversary!   4519 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

Posted 28 July 2020 - 08:19 PM

Nendoroid MHW Iceborne Male Zinogre Alpha Armor Ver. (January 2021):

FIGURE-610862.jpg

DX version pictured.

Kotobukiya 1/7 Metal Gear Solid V Sniper Wolf (December 2020) (re-release):

FIGURE-610874.jpg

Kotobukiya kept the price reasonable rather than matching modern pricing.

#3176 RKasa   The Artist Formerly Known as ブルー神羅 CAGiversary!   4380 Posts   Joined 14.4 Years Ago  

Posted 30 July 2020 - 01:22 AM

Just cancelled one of my two unshipped orders with CDJapan. This one was for two Pop Up Parade figures, and the cheapest shipping available (DHL) would've been over 5,000 yen. Reordered both via BigBadToyStore; the wait'll be longer, but at least the shipping costs won't be ridiculous.

CDJ not only refunded the full amount of the order, but also the points I'd applied to it, which I wasn't expecting. Not complaining, though!

The other CDJ order is for a CD w/first press bonus. DHL shipping for that is ~1,900 yen, but my next best option for that album is only about 700 yen less including shipping (which is more than cancelled out by the points I'd used on that order) and might not have the bonus. Gonna have it shipped once I can get the address changed.

#3177 lilman   Only the ordinary. CAGiversary!   4519 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

Posted 31 July 2020 - 08:12 PM

AmiAmi started a promotion on July 28 that reduces DHL shipping cost to several countries, including US, by 5-25%, depending on the size/weight of the package: https://support.amia...count-July-2020

TOM has reusable coupon 10AGAIN for $10 off $50 orders shipped from US warehouse. Valid through August 3.

Just cancelled one of my two unshipped orders with CDJapan. This one was for two Pop Up Parade figures, and the cheapest shipping available (DHL) would've been over 5,000 yen.

Anything bigger than a Nendo can be brutal to ship these days via DHL. I've had a few prize figure pre-orders come in stock and they hike up the shipping price so much it defeats the purpose of cheap prizes.

From my AmiAmi DHL experience, one Nendo is around 1600yen, two 2200 yen, and three 2700 yen. A Nendo and one prize is easily 2700 yen. I currently have two Nendos and a prize with 3750 yen DHL (and that's after their new discount). For the foreseeable future, I'll continue ordering Nendos from AmiAmi, but bigger stuff like prizes I'll go with US store like BBTS.

#3178 RKasa   The Artist Formerly Known as ブルー神羅 CAGiversary!   4380 Posts   Joined 14.4 Years Ago  

Posted 01 August 2020 - 09:35 PM

Anything bigger than a Nendo can be brutal to ship these days via DHL. I've had a few prize figure pre-orders come in stock and they hike up the shipping price so much it defeats the purpose of cheap prizes.

The general rule of thumb with DHL/FedEx shipping from Japan is that prices tend to vary according to volume, not weight, which is great for things like artbooks, but not so much for most figures (and they're really bad for bulky + lightweight items like large plushes and plastic model kits). CDJ's shipping quotes for the two PUPs were ridiculous, but not surprising.

#3179 lilman   Only the ordinary. CAGiversary!   4519 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

Posted 24 August 2020 - 09:52 PM

In case you didn't see it on CAG front page the past few days, Figma D.Va has been in/out of stock on Amazon for $30.24. You may need to check other sellers to see Amazon's listing since estimated stock is late September, and when it is available to order, it doesn't last long: https://www.amazon.c...uct/B07GWLPJFD/

HLJ posted a fun comic on how DHL and FedEx pricing is based on size rather than weight: https://www.hlj.com/...ave-on-shipping

-Update-

Got my Figma D.Va in a lot sooner than expected (end of August instead of end of September). I rarely get Figmas these days due to their inflated costs (at least $70). Opened D.Va today and she is quality. Well rendered faces and very posable. She's still available for $30 on Amazon.

#3180 lilman   Only the ordinary. CAGiversary!   4519 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

Posted 03 September 2020 - 09:58 AM

Pop Up Parade Journey The Traveler (January 2021):

FIGURE-118429.jpg

Note that with current shipping restrictions (which could change by January), this is cheaper to get from a US store like GSC US or BBTS than from Japan.