CAGcast #268: Drotally Drawesome

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
[preview][IMG-L=5838]15060[/IMG-L]Wombat is confused by Microsoft Points, CheapyD is baffled by uDraw, and Shipwreck is puzzled by Xbox 720 rumors.

Get your questions or topics answered on future shows via CAGbag or Twitter.

[podcast]177[/podcast]
Download - 67 minutes, 41MB
iTunes: Subscribe - Review

Support the CAGcast: FREE AUDIBLE 2 WEEK TRIAL & AUDIOBOOK
[/preview]

Show Linkage/Notes:

Intro/Outro: Jokers Wild by The Ventures / Nobody Loves the Hulk by The Traits

Follow us on Twitter
Cheap Ass Gamer on Facebook
CheapyD's Youtube Videos (Subscribe)
CheapyD's Flickr Page (Subscribe)

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't posted in the show thread in a while but I just came to say that hearing the cagcast every week makes life a little bit better. Keep it up gents.

Shipwreck, Amazon hasn't been selling the 3DS directly since July or so and no one knows why. I think the same goes for Wii and DSi as well.

I think the Wii U really depends on how powerful it is in comparison to 720 and PS4. If recent rumors are anything to go by, it'll be weaker than 720, but not by a significant amount that would discourage ports to it.

And if used games weren't allowed on 720, sales and more importantly player volume would dry up there and go to other platforms, hurting third party games sales on the platform, something they currently have a stranglehold on. It's not something that's outside the realm of possibility of happening, but if it does, it will cost them marketshare and mindshare.

you think you can fuck with a c-list internet celebrity. lol cheapyd.
I think you should have said something like you think that's hard try coaching girls basketball!

I would like to read all of your audio. lz send me a link? anyway, good show except the show feedbackpart kind of strange.

i didn't get the part about the superhero Sr3 though. other than invinsibility and the automobile it sounded like maybe prototype?

Cheapy! Im glad to hear you're liking Netflix but PLEASE take my recommendation and watch Luther and Sherlock, they're both short and awesome.

[quote name='MattJ1991']Cheapy! Im glad to hear you're liking Netflix but PLEASE take my recommendation and watch Luther and Sherlock, they're both short and awesome.[/QUOTE]

I've seen all the Sherlocks and will
check out Luther.

I never paid taxes on Microsoft points.
Ever.

Usually buy them at Wal-Mart B&M or on Amazon. Bought it through Buy.com once when it was on sale.

I rarely see Playstation cards on sale so I'm discouraged by MS turning points into cash.

Good show, guys.

As people have said, I have never paid tax on Microsoft points when bought at retail stores.

I'm also hyped about SSX. The Giant Bomb guys referred to it as "Burnout in snow"—which I dig. I like how the gear is something outta Borderlands and that the type of gear you equip matters when tackling mountains.

You know what's funny about this "Microsoft prohibiting the use of used games" hubbub? There was a hoax some seven years ago about Microsoft tinkering with "single-play DVDs."

http://www.edbott.com/weblog/2005/10/single-play-dvds-its-a-hoax/

Seems sorta prophetic now. ;)

I've paid tax on points when purchased through LIVE or PSN, but not through Amazon. NY taxes everything even fockin bottled water.

I can't believe the need to dissect and translate the State of the Union speech by the media. Apparently it was worded so easily, any idiot could understand it. You could be playing Saints Row with the music turned off and be listening to the speech at the same time while having a brewski and still understand it.

Can anyone tell me something "Super Programmer John" has delivered?

Besides moving the server, let's review.

The same ugly black and brown interface.
No iPad or iPhone app that was promised years ago.
Now CheapyD says they are licensing Tapatalk, which is a good thing but someone else programmed that.
What is he working on again?

Either CheapyD is the best boss in the world to work for or "Super Programmer" has done a ton of behind the scenes stuff.

[quote name='youruglyclone']cause Tinytower is TOTALLY an original IP and isn't derivative of anything that exists.

http://kotaku.com/5879441/tiny-tower-rips-off-a-flash-gameand-simtower[/QUOTE]

I have not played Corporation Inc., but Tiny Tower and SimTower are substantially different experiences. Judging from screenshots of Corporation Inc., it doesn't appear to be the exact same game as Tiny Tower. Like I said, I haven't played it though. Just like the person who wrote that thing on Kotaku said they hadn't played Tiny Tower. Nice title by Kotaku too.

You guys mentioned there is nothing to play this month, well I'll shamelessly plug Star Trek Online! I'm a producer on the project and we just went Free to Play last week so I wanted to throw it out there.

Love the show, btw. I started listening when I was in QA to make the day go by faster, and that was somewhere around CagCast 50. Keep up the good work!

I got the Wii uDraw for my wife for Christmas 2010 because she's artistically inclined, but she said drawing with it was too difficult and not fun so it just sits in the closest.

I probably should have put the $63 I paid for it towards a Wacom tablet.

My favorite thing about the CheapyD Homie is his screaming. He doesn't have a parachute, yet he hasn't learned not to follow me into an airplane because I never bother to land them.

One thing I do like about Microsoft points: the prices are round. PSN prices have weird things like $2.39, which leaves odd amounts in my account. But with points, they always seem to be priced at even dollar, or half-dollar, equivalents.

The only way for Microsoft to successfully pull off the "no used games" feature is to go all digital. They have a large online user base, but are they prepared to sacrifice the non-connected masses? They aren't getting any dlc money from them now, so maybe they won't care if they're gone totally.
The new Xbox is rumored to have Bluray, which I am totally against. The poor read rate and mandatory installs is a big reason I do most my gaming on the 360 instead of the PS3. Maybe nextgen games should come on thumbdrives.
I am worried about my gamertag. Will they allow some sort of seperation between console generations to allow me to go back & forth without tedious recovery or USB shenanigans? I can see them implementing a new system of achievements, starting everyone at zero for the new system. Maybe they'll have an achievement-reward system in place this time.

I am still very cautious about the new SSX. SSX 3 was probably my favorite last gen game. But to me SSX is about two things: the crazy tricks and the characters. I have yet to see anything about voice acting for the new game. The worst part of SSX3 was the unlockable characters who were silent. If they're not going to give them the full quality voice acting, why bother having premade characters?

I think the rumor is true, to a degree. I see them implementing the current system of online codes for online play, minus the code. It would be easy to "activate" online features by tying it to a gamertag, thus a used game that was previously activated, would prompt you to buy an online pass.

Anything beyond that, would be offensive. But, if they could make the current online pass system without the need for the actual code, it would save publishers the price of the insert.

I also bought a UDRAW for the 360, for 30$. I had a good time with the Marvel game, and the various features of the art game were fun. Definitely worth 30 bucks, and might of been a success, at that price...

[quote name='shipwreck']I have not played Corporation Inc., but Tiny Tower and SimTower are substantially different experiences. Judging from screenshots of Corporation Inc., it doesn't appear to be the exact same game as Tiny Tower. Like I said, I haven't played it though. Just like the person who wrote that thing on Kotaku said they hadn't played Tiny Tower. Nice title by Kotaku too.[/QUOTE]

I also read Zynga tried to acquire the Tiny Tower dev. Makes it look worse for Zynga.

Why do so many people refer to the next Xbox iteration as the Xbox 720? It doesn't make any sense. Xbox 360 made sense because "360" meant all encompassing (video, online, games, music, etc.). Who thought that multiplying the 360 by 2 was the next iteration? Has Microsoft put that out as the temporary project name anywhere? It's not like they are at a skate park doing double 360's. It sounds bad but Xbox 360 2 makes more sense (they won't use that). Most likely they will just give it a new name to follow the "Xbox" brand. Sorry /rant off.

Great CAGcast, I was glad to see there wasn't an entire section of the show devoted to the comments last week, as I'm sure you'd agree would be neither constructive, nor enjoyable. Shipwreck pretty much summed it up with his strange iCarly reference.

The best part for me this week was the revival of Top Analyst, something that I really loved about the show that kind of just appears and disappears among the shows. It also makes me wonder the last episode you guys talked NPD numbers.

The Avengers cartoon is really good, which is surprising, especially with all the greatest Marvel TV shows (In my opinion) mostly centering around the nineties (i.e. X-Men, Spider-man.)

The only thing about the episode that puzzled me was lack of talk for the new Resident Evil trailer. As someone who 100% agrees with you about Capcom's shady business ethics, it's an awkward situation considering how utterly impressive the trailer looks at first glance.

In regards to the MS points going to $ values, I also think it is for the publishers to have more granular pricing options than what they currently have, ie. to be able to sell something for $1.29 instead of trying to sell it with an odd points value like 108 points. Also, now that the PSN has become a more viable platform, MS might see the value to having the same pricing convention as the PSN in order to compete more effectively.

I don't see this possible change impacting the occasional sale on MS point cards, as PSN cards, which are in dollar amounts, do go on sale occasionally...often at the same time as MS cards do.

In my defense, all I had to work with was MS Paint.

2113876-icarly_cast1newep.jpg

I'm with Shipwreck on the whole "used game lockout" rumor for the next Xbox. There's just no way that could feasibly happen. What I could see instead is a push toward more digital media maybe with better incentives for buying through the console itself.

This crusade against used games is driving me to despise current-gen gaming. As much as I agree with Wombat's "make better games" argument, I think the price of new games is more a deterrent than the game's quality. I'm primarily a single-player kind of gamer and the push toward more multi-player is causing games to get shorter and shorter in the single-player department. Why would I pay $60 for a game that I'll only half-utilize?

Great Cagcast!!! To comment about microsoft points cards and psn cards, I've gotten $20 psn cards on sale for either $16-$18 and msp cards too before I started getting points free from bing rewards. Also, shipwreck is right about stores not charging tax on the cards.

Good show as always. I think you guys are underestimating the power of the Wii U. A lot of people have been, and in the last week there have been lots of rumors pointing in the opposite direction. I think a significant power increase over the HD twins of this generation will be enough to get a lot of gamers interested. People are getting tired of the increasing graphical difference between the 360 and the PC. People crave a new powerhouse console, and Nintendo will be first to the market by a huge margin.

I have never been charged tax on MS points when buying them directly from LIVE either. Seems strange that some are charged and some aren't.

PS: An entertaining show as usual Gents.

[quote name='mrx001']Why build a PC when you have a very capable Mac.Just put windows in a partition and use boot camp.Instant gaming PC.[/QUOTE]

Especially if Cheapy is going to buy the next iMac, more than capable to run games.

Few thoughts:

Have you guys set Cheapy on fire in Saints Row? The screaming is so hilarious and is my favorite thing about having Cheapy in my game. Sorry Cheapy.

I wouldn't blame Microsoft for implementing a online code ala DC Universe Online to stop the used game sales. It would basically replace the Project $10 that everyone hates with something else everyone despises. But really, they need to do what is best for them. But if they did something like that, it would lead to a big backlash with Gamestop who have much more power than they probably should have.

[quote name='mrx001']Why build a PC when you have a very capable Mac.Just put windows in a partition and use boot camp.Instant gaming PC.[/QUOTE]
It would mean that his current Mac would have to be somewhat powerful, which means it would probably have to be new and expensive, and if I recall correctly it is not new.
Also he probably wants to be able to upgrade his computer, and unless apple has changed its policies recently many parts will be hard or impossible to upgrade on a mac.

[quote name='fortunado']Why do so many people refer to the next Xbox iteration as the Xbox 720? It doesn't make any sense. Xbox 360 made sense because "360" meant all encompassing (video, online, games, music, etc.). Who thought that multiplying the 360 by 2 was the next iteration? Has Microsoft put that out as the temporary project name anywhere? It's not like they are at a skate park doing double 360's. It sounds bad but Xbox 360 2 makes more sense (they won't use that). Most likely they will just give it a new name to follow the "Xbox" brand. Sorry /rant off.[/QUOTE]
Well the 360 was the 2nd console and it could represent the 2nd dimension, and the number of degrees in a square or circle is 360, so if the third console represents the third dimension then we would have a sphere or cube, the only way I know to make any kind of degree measurement on those would be a angle deficit which would be 720 degrees.

I'm gonna have to disagree with Cheapy on The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes. The show is good at times, but overall I have trouble believing civilization can still be standing when there's a global apocalypse every other weekend. I liked how the different heroes argued with each other and how Iron Man grew to be the leader, but that was far overshadowed by the ridiculous overpowered villains. Overall, I really couldn't get into it.

As for the best cartoon ever? Cheapy, you need to watch Avatar: The Last Airbender with Tai. It's on Netflix!

[quote name='fortunado']Why do so many people refer to the next Xbox iteration as the Xbox 720? [/QUOTE]

Because 1) no one knows what it will be called, and 2) everyone knows what you mean when you say Xbox 720. In the end it doesn't matter since whatever we call it will be most likely wrong.

Heck, call it Xbox Pure, if that seems like a better name.

I'll check out the Avengers cartoon, but I have a hard time believing it'll be better than Batman the Animated Series or Justice League.

Cheapy, I know this comment is for a CAGCast a couple weeks old but I'm a little behind on listening to the episodes. You mentioned not wanting to put a PC in your living room and was looking into a wireless HDMI transmitter.

I have another suggestion. Build a small format PC. Gaming PC's don't have to be large, or noisy. I built one myself about 4-5 months ago and I've loved it.

Computers based on the microATX or miniITX form factor motherboards can be incredibly small, yet contain the same gaming power as a full-sized PC, because they use the same power supplies, graphics cards, CPUs, etc. It's just the motherboard and case that is smaller than the regular sized ATX ones. They can be made to be incredibly compact (even down to shoebox size) and also can be very quiet with a little forethought in component selection. Whoever ends up building your PC should be able to put together a SFF gaming PC, if they know what they are doing.

I started using SFF PCs about 7 years ago and haven't looked back since. I refuse to own another large mid-tower or full-sized tower PC ever again since I can get the same functionality in a much smaller package.

Anyway, just a suggestion. You could put one of those in your living room and it would end up being very unobtrusive. Even if you still go for the wireless HDMI transmitter, and put the PC in your office, you can still consider using a small form factor PC. Gaming PC's don't have to be loud, bulky, or full of cheesy LED lights. Just sayin.

I like the speculations on what the next XBOX will be called, I could see it being called NEXTBOX, NXTBOX or (N3XTBOX ha ha god I hope not) maybe just the XBOX 3 to save them from having to worry about a xXBOX 1440.

However I don't see anyway they can lock out used game sales, It just seems pointless. I also am not a fan of buying everything digitally, yes it is convenient but I have yet to get beyond the fact that I like to have something to show for my money. I have no problem with DLC being digital due to size but most of America has ridiculously stupid bandwidth caps from their ISP providers and If you have to download a double or triple layer Blu-Ray game to your machine you used a bunch of your cap just to play a game. (I have Charter 60 MB, it's great and fast but my limit is 250 GB a month before I get throttled apparently)

I am not sure what other CAG's think about the digital distribution model, I just don't see it working until the ISP's give up and stop holding people back with their internet

Imo points are way better than money. There is some psycological edge Ms has to using them. I feel more comfortable spending 800 points vs $10.00.

I guarentee you it will backfire and sales will drop off as most people are more apt to spend points over cash. Just like with credit cards. It has been proven over and over again.

While the move to money may have been green lighted just like the udraw it will fail. People will still buy just not at the same rate.

So if CheapyD is a C list internet celebrity, and lets say Veronica Belmount is an A list Internet Celebrity what is a B list internet celebrity?

[quote name='gepet0']Imo points are way better than money. There is some psycological edge Ms has to using them. I feel more comfortable spending 800 points vs $10.00.

I guarentee you it will backfire and sales will drop off as most people are more apt to spend points over cash. Just like with credit cards. It has been proven over and over again.

While the move to money may have been green lighted just like the udraw it will fail. People will still buy just not at the same rate.[/QUOTE]

Apple seems to sell quite a lot of content and they charge money.

bread's done
Back