Daxter (Jak & Daxter) Game for PSP announced with PSP to PS2 Connectivity

LinkinPrime

CAGiversary!
Feedback
170 (100%)
Daxter PSP will offer the opportunity to share content with Jak X, however, in the form of downloads on a memory stick. "If you've got both games and connect your PSP to your PS2, you'll be able to get characters from Daxter PSP into Jak as racers," says Evan Wells, co-president of Naughty Dog. "You can select them, and also probably special vehicle customizations and looks, because we have personalization of vehicles. [You'll be able to] put stickers on and make [your vehicle] look like it's from Daxter PSP."

http://opm.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3139520

I guess Sony didn't learn from Nintendo on the whole connectivity thing. Or maybe they did, and that's why they aren't hyping this PSP feature. Hrm.

Well for one thing we JUST heard about these games and I dont believe I've even seen a picture for Jak X yet So untill then there's only so much excitment you can show.

As for connectivity there's not a damn thing wrong with it as long as you actually USE it.

I think I liked it better the first time when GCN/GBA did it.... oh wait a minute, I didn't because it was lame and gimmicky and served no purpose at all. Way to go Sony... I know you like to steal every good idea Nintendo comes up with but the lame ones too? Why?

If you have a console and a handheld at the same time why NOT do it? just because you;d be accused of copying someone else? under that mentality there'd be only one racing game, only one character jumping on peoples heads to kill them and only one first person shooter.

[quote name='Alpha2']Well for one thing we JUST heard about these games and I dont believe I've even seen a picture for Jak X yet So untill then there's only so much excitment you can show.

As for connectivity there's not a damn thing wrong with it as long as you actually USE it.[/QUOTE]

Check out the thread in the PS2 forum, there's a link to the IGN articles with plenty of pics and info on the game.

[quote name='javeryh']I think I liked it better the first time when GCN/GBA did it.... oh wait a minute, I didn't because it was lame and gimmicky and served no purpose at all. Way to go Sony... I know you like to steal every good idea Nintendo comes up with but the lame ones too? Why?[/QUOTE]

Didn't the NGPC hook-up with the DC for the Sonic game before the GCN/GBA connectivity gimmick?

The whole connectivity thing has got to be the worst good idea ever. It seems like no one reilizes just WHAT you can do...

Suppose sony releases Champions of Norrath 3 and a PSP game. Through connectivity, one could transport their character between the PS2 game and the PSP game. This way, you can take your brand new, lvl 3 Ranger with you to work, and lvl up a bit on the ride. At that point you can return home, reupload the improved ranger and finally get past that damn dungeon.

Imagine 4 friends who play online together and are completely glued to their screens, trying to beat their friends: they can all take their Heroes on the go and it will only cost them the price of another game.

Sonic Adventure 2: Battle for the gamecube has a similar feature to that. but it simply featured chaos! Sure, they're pretty cool but it doesnt have anything to do with the main game!

The possibilites for on-the-go-gaming are endless:
--A third person shooter where the player can buy new weapons/skins, and getting the PSP version will allow them to make money anywhere they go

--The everquest fan who actually has a social life can lvl up their character on the go in a type of 1-player mode: no items, no friends, just training

--The Midway Arcade Treasures freak can play their favorite classics on the go and upload their high scores, via the PS2 network adapter, to a table online, where they can see just how bad they really are.

--Make a small game using a PS2 "game maker" program and upload it to the PSP. Yeah, thats a little too out-of-the-box, but i really think it can be done

--Use the Memory sticks as another memory card: save files to the PSP and whenever you need to load, connect it to the PS2 (a little unpracticle, but it would give you a 512 MEGABYTE MEMORY!!!)

--Take pictures/videos of cool stuff in the PS2 game and save it onto the PSP so you can show friends how awesome you are at Tony Hawk Underground 2 (not that they care)

[quote name='AlbinoNinja']The whole connectivity thing has got to be the worst good idea ever. It seems like no one reilizes just WHAT you can do...

Suppose sony releases Champions of Norrath 3 and a PSP game. Through connectivity, one could transport their character between the PS2 game and the PSP game. This way, you can take your brand new, lvl 3 Ranger with you to work, and lvl up a bit on the ride. At that point you can return home, reupload the improved ranger and finally get past that damn dungeon.

Imagine 4 friends who play online together and are completely glued to their screens, trying to beat their friends: they can all take their Heroes on the go and it will only cost them the price of another game.

Sonic Adventure 2: Battle for the gamecube has a similar feature to that. but it simply featured chaos! Sure, they're pretty cool but it doesnt have anything to do with the main game!

The possibilites for on-the-go-gaming are endless:
--A third person shooter where the player can buy new weapons/skins, and getting the PSP version will allow them to make money anywhere they go

--The everquest fan who actually has a social life can lvl up their character on the go in a type of 1-player mode: no items, no friends, just training

--The Midway Arcade Treasures freak can play their favorite classics on the go and upload their high scores, via the PS2 network adapter, to a table online, where they can see just how bad they really are.

--Make a small game using a PS2 "game maker" program and upload it to the PSP. Yeah, thats a little too out-of-the-box, but i really think it can be done

--Use the Memory sticks as another memory card: save files to the PSP and whenever you need to load, connect it to the PS2 (a little unpracticle, but it would give you a 512 MEGABYTE MEMORY!!!)

--Take pictures/videos of cool stuff in the PS2 game and save it onto the PSP so you can show friends how awesome you are at Tony Hawk Underground 2 (not that they care)[/QUOTE]

Someone should hire you. The problem I think is that no one wants to spend $50 for a second copy of the same game. If they included both for $50 I'm sure there would be a lot of takers.... great ideas though...

For connectivity to work it has to be incidental things like bringing your Tony hawk character from your PSP to a friends house to play against him on his home version or like the Jak plan here were two completly differnt games in the same series interact with each other. this way in neither case will it force you to actually HAVE to buy the same game for two systems.

Eventually they'll all figure it out and use it more but it's probably a long tidious process between development temas especially if a change to one game in development breaks how it works with the other game before either of them are released, it would make dev time longer and more headache inducing.

[quote name='javeryh']Someone should hire you. The problem I think is that no one wants to spend $50 for a second copy of the same game. If they included both for $50 I'm sure there would be a lot of takers.... great ideas though...[/QUOTE]

the games would have a decent 1-player-no-PS2 game mode; or the game would be a bargain price ($20-$30)

Also i highly doubt this can be done with a PS2, but the PS3 should be able to recognize the PSP and do what the PSP tells it to, as in you wouldn't have to buy MAT for the PS3 to recognize why you connected your PSP to your PS3

Finally, playing online will most likely drain the battery quickly, and very few people I know have wireless internet in their houses, so why not allow the PSP to connect to the PS2/PS3 and play online using the network adapter?

bread's done
Back