Retail Employee Stories Part 8: Stories From Smart Tech Featuring Andy

Demolition Man

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
40-year-old-virgin.jpg

Do you find yourself like this man? Alone in life working 40 hours a week at Smart Tech? Well don't worry here at Cheap Ass Gamer this thread is dedicated to you. Feel free to tell us all your funny stories from the front lines of working Smart Tech especially anything involving the destruction of Michael McDonald DVD samplers. Or any other retail place or customer service for that matter.

I do and will say if you are posting stuff complaining about your last visit to Gamestop and how you hate gutted games - or any other complaints about retail employees this is NOT your thread. This is for funny retail stories from retail employees. Also seeing how the last thread got totally derailed any further discussion about tipping will be reported. This thread is NOT for discussing the morality of how much or even if one should tip. Therefore please take it elsewhere.

Previous parts:
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5 (aka Part Cinco)
Part 6: The Life & Tragedies Of GrilledWitOnions
[URL="http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=235256"]Part 7: "I'm Not Supposed To Be Here Today"
[/URL]

Last edited by a moderator:
Does working at the theatre count as working retail? =p

Here's a few of my favorites from working at Regal (AMC has not given me any gems yet, [un]fortunately?):

- If you're not familiar with the prices of food, at Regal it is 6 for a small, 7 for a medium, and 8 for a large popcorn. Yes, it is a ripoff. No, we are not shy to agree with you about it.

Queue an older couple, order a medium popcorn and a couple of drinks. Totals out to about 18$. Lady asks for a spare bag, which I can't give her unless she pays the 6$ for it (we inventory bags, regular drink cups, pizza boxes, etc). I explain this to them and before being able to offer a solution, the husband gets extremely vocal about how I'm "what's wrong with the world today, always trying to take the last dollar from a hard working man," for about four minutes he keeps on with this tirade, getting into my face each time I attempt to offer him a solution.

Eventually his wife calmed him down enough to accept a handful of courtesy cups to split their food with, but still. That was my first concession shift, too. LOL.

- Another favorite I have from working concession was during the opening weekend for Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. Obviously we were swamped, I was running register and my friend Brian was running food for me. A guy comes up and orders a pizza, which we have to make-to-order. I say this to the customer, and he agrees, pays for his food and leaves to (I assume) secure a seat for his movie. About five minutes later (pizzas usually take about 10 minutes to make) he comes back, demanding his food. We explain that it's in the oven and should be ready in about five more minutes, and this guy goes ballistic -- seriously, causing a scene like a three year old. I stood there pretty much speechless, apologized, and told him I'd personally bring it to him when it was ready.

"That's not GOOD ENOUGH. I want to speak to your MANAGER!"

Okay, buddy. I don't care. Went in and got Liz who came out to see what this guy's problem was. He said (I shit you not): "I DEMAND a refund on my ticket and food, because YOUR EMPLOYEE DIDN'T YELL BACK. I am NEVER COMING BACK HERE AGAIN!"

..what?

- This one isn't mine to tell, but I thought it was pretty hilarious. My co-worker Ashlee was running box, and a guy came up and asked for a ticket.

"To what movie?"

"..does it matter? They all go to the same place."

Can't think of any more at the moment, but I'm sure there are some.

Thank you for putting an end to those stupid tipping rants. I tried to change the subject back to retail stories but had no such luck.

Anyways...here are two sites I've visited due to past forums (there are several other sites but I have only gone to these two)

http://www.actsofgord.com/Annoy/

http://www.customerssuck.com/

I currently reading through the backlog of stories on customerssuck.com and so far they've been pretty good.

My story for today (so far)...

I love the "unique" people we get here in a public library. We open up at 8:30am but our computer lab (free computer access w/ internet) doesn't open until 9:30am (we need time to set it up and power up these 5-7 year old machines).

It was my morning to start up the lab and I've walking maybe 10 feet behind this woman who goes up to the lab entrance, notices that it still walled in (we put this movable wall across the entrance so patrons don't go over there and fuck up our computers). She stops, notices our "hours of operation" sign, moves in closer to read it, stares at it for 5 seconds, say "ugh", then turns around and walks toward the front desk. I was curious as to why so I followed her.

Even though she had just, literally seconds ago, gone from the lab area and read the sign, she went up to the front desk and asked:

Her: "I want to use the computers in the lab"
Front Desk: "The computer lab doesn't open until 9:30am"
Her: "-ugh-...well what time is it?"
Front Desk: "8:45am"
Her: "-sigh-...ok" -she then walks out of the library-

I just stood there, just staring as she walked away. I had seen her read the sign, register what the sign said, realized the lab was closed and she still went and asked to use them. Did she think we were gonna say "Oh, YOU want to use them? Why yes, let me start up a machine for you. Would you like some coffee and the morning paper too?"

Some people just leave me speechless. Got some more stories but I'll save them for later.

I hate customers that do that, they don't like the answer so they go ask someone else.

Once in a while, a customer asks me or another employee if we have an item, and we are either out of it or don't carry the item, and they don't like being told we don't have the item so they go and ask someone else. That happened most recently a couple of weeks ago, the customer is told by another employee we don't have the item and I am in the next aisle of the store and I heard the the conversation. A minute later, she walks up to me and asks if we have the item. I also say we don't have it.

I guess to add to that, so many customers think we have a giant back room where we keep all the merchandise. Why would it be out on the sales floor so it could be sold? No, it's better sitting in the back room in a box. Nothing is kept in the back room except shipments that just were delivered and have to be checked in. They also get annoyed if I tell them we don't have an item right away probably thinking I don't want to look for the item. If I know we don't have something, I'm not going to waste my time looking for it.

[quote name='YoshiFan1']I hate customers that do that, they don't like the answer so they go ask someone else.

Once in a while, a customer asks me or another employee if we have an item, and we are either out of it or don't carry the item, and they don't like being told we don't have the item so they go and ask someone else. That happened most recently a couple of weeks ago, the customer is told by another employee we don't have the item and I am in the next aisle of the store and I heard the the conversation. A minute later, she walks up to me and asks if we have the item. I also say we don't have it.

I guess to add to that, so many customers think we have a giant back room where we keep all the merchandise. Why would it be out on the sales floor so it could be sold? No, it's better sitting in the back room in a box. Nothing is kept in the back room except shipments that just were delivered and have to be checked in. They also get annoyed if I tell them we don't have an item right away probably thinking I don't want to look for the item. If I know we don't have something, I'm not going to waste my time looking for it.[/QUOTE]

I've never worked retail, but Target seems to have some stuff in the back that doesn't seem to be stuff that just came off a truck and hasn't been put on shelves yet. There is a limit to shelf space, after all.

However at somewhere like Home Depot, there really isn't a back room so if the item isn't there somewhere deep in the shelf, that's the end of that.

This happened yesterday..:

Girl (about 16) and her boyfriend were there to watch some 3D movie.

Girl: (puts on 3D glasses) Excuse me! Do these only work in the theatre?

If you know what a wall looks like, you're smarter than many of the people that shop at my store. It's becoming a daily occurrence where someone asks me where something is and I tell them it's behind/on the wall.
I could point to the wall, describe the product(s) on wall, or even stand NEXT to the wall -sometimes a combination of those things. No matter what I say, there will be a customer who will have NO IDEA what I (and other employees who do the same thing) know what I'm talking about. "What?" "This wall (that isn't correct)?" "Huh?" or "Walllllllllll??" have become common responses.

And it never ceases to amaze me how people will buy large furniture and actually think it will fit in their much smaller vehicles. Two days ago, a man bought a $200 sofa and tried to fit in his P.T. Cruiser. He was so convinced that if he put the seats up (with the seat cushions adding to the height of the car space inside) that the sofa box would not stick out. Of course he was wrong and had to return it.

[quote name='Cage017']
And it never ceases to amaze me how people will buy large furniture and actually think it will fit in their much smaller vehicles. Two days ago, a man bought a $200 sofa and tried to fit in his P.T. Cruiser. He was so convinced that if he put the seats up (with the seat cushions adding to the height of the car space inside) that the sofa box would not stick out. Of course he was wrong and had to return it.[/QUOTE]
lol, I used to work in a furniture store, so I've seen stuff like this many times. Watched a guy try to stuff a king mattress (and box spring) into a cargo van once.

I don't think I have posted this story before:

When I was in high school/first part of college I worked at a veterinary clinic. I mainly assisted with the procedures on livestock but one day a few people were sick so I had to help out with the small animal procedures. Whenever someone brought in their pet and the vet was ready to see them you would go into the lobby and say the pets name and that the vet was ready to see them, so for example "Rover the vet is ready to see you."

On this day I notice someone was waiting in the lobby with their German Shepard so I grabbed the chart walked into a full lobby and said the dogs name "Hitler the vet is ready to see you." Hitler was there to get neutered. These people had rescued that dog but decided to keep its original name of Hitler.

I'm sure a lot of you read a story just like this recently with a kid at either Gamestop or Best Buy that wanted a purple 360 controller and his father made him feel like absolute shit about it.

I work overnights at a store in the back room. There's 2 hours from 10pm to midnight that I'm there while the store is actually open that I sometimes have to venture out to the floor to drop off freight, and get bothered by the pisspoor parents of the world that think it's a good idea to drag their small children out shopping on a school night at such late hours. Last week a woman with her son, he couldn't have been more than 10, stopped me asking me where the beanbag chairs are. I quickly walk them over to where they are because I hate having to speak to customers so it's usually quicker than explaining to them where something is. I show them where they are, she thanks me, and I start walking away. What I heard as I left pissed me off to no end.

"There's pink and black. You want pink don't you, since you're a little girl"

"I do want pink, it's more colorful than the black"

"NO, YOU AREN'T GETTING PINK, YOU'LL TURN INTO A $$$!"

Yeah, mother of the year right there. I felt so bad for the little kid. It was wayyy past any normal kids bed time, he was being well behaved, and he got yelled at by his white trash, sweat pant wearing mother because he wanted a pink chair. If I didn't walk away when I did, there's a good chance I would have lost my job that day.

[quote name='Specter Fate']This happened yesterday..:

Girl (about 16) and her boyfriend were there to watch some 3D movie.

Girl: (puts on 3D glasses) Excuse me! Do these only work in the theatre?[/QUOTE]

lol :lol::lol:

[quote name='opterasis']I'm sure a lot of you read a story just like this recently with a kid at either Gamestop or Best Buy that wanted a purple 360 controller and his father made him feel like absolute shit about it.

I work overnights at a store in the back room. There's 2 hours from 10pm to midnight that I'm there while the store is actually open that I sometimes have to venture out to the floor to drop off freight, and get bothered by the pisspoor parents of the world that think it's a good idea to drag their small children out shopping on a school night at such late hours. Last week a woman with her son, he couldn't have been more than 10, stopped me asking me where the beanbag chairs are. I quickly walk them over to where they are because I hate having to speak to customers so it's usually quicker than explaining to them where something is. I show them where they are, she thanks me, and I start walking away. What I heard as I left pissed me off to no end.

"There's pink and black. You want pink don't you, since you're a little girl"

"I do want pink, it's more colorful than the black"

"NO, YOU AREN'T GETTING PINK, YOU'LL TURN INTO A $$$!"

Yeah, mother of the year right there. I felt so bad for the little kid. It was wayyy past any normal kids bed time, he was being well behaved, and he got yelled at by his white trash, sweat pant wearing mother because he wanted a pink chair. If I didn't walk away when I did, there's a good chance I would have lost my job that day.[/QUOTE]

Wow...poor kid. With that type of mom he's going to end up being a troubled teen.

Attack of the crazy old people at Target:

A couple of days ago, I had an old woman ask me to tell her the difference between two George Foreman grills. Usually this would take a minute or less; with this person, it took 5 minutes. Why? Because I was teaching her the difference between RED and BLACK. She thought I was lying even though I showed her the labels and the boxes that mentioned the two colors. And yet she couldn't get the concept and stormed out.

A similar incident happened yesterday where this old man was getting angry trying to find L'oreal hair spray. I showed him the aisle and even pointed to the spray. He tells me it's conditioner. I show him on the label where it says "hair spray" and he decides it's not the kind of spray he wants and threatens to go to Walgreens.

I always laugh when people get angry and say a competitor's name as if I'm going to wave a magic wand so the product appears in my hand.

I deal with plenty of stupid people all day, but they are common place stupid, this one took the cake for today. I work in the electronics department. Gal comes up to me and says that there is a loveseat that is the only one that doesn't have a price. Then she says that there is a box for another item right next to it that says $50. I take her over to the computer and find that there are 3 of that particular loveseat, that it is $400 and have her take me over there to where it is. We walk over there, and sure enough, just around the corner from the display, I find the other two, and point them out. She starts talking about how she wants to buy the display, but it is damaged and she wants a discount, which in return, I show her the two perfectly boxed items right around the corner. She then points to the smaller boxed item right next to the display, which could barely have fit the cushion of the loveseat and says, "You mean, this $50 item isn't the loveseat?". To which I point out, that no, the smaller item is a children's recliner and walk away.

This was from a while back when I got my first (and only) retail job. I worked for a jewelry company, starting out as their only officer worker with promises to go into sales in a few months.

I was given a booklet to study at home with regards to the warranties, sales, lay-aways, repair times and costs, what to do in case of a robbery (they don't negotiate with criminals or terrorists according to it), and I studied that near religiously.

First day, the managers were discussing that they changed nearly all of the repair costs and we could see a list in the corporate emails. Sadly, I didn't have access to that. So I asked about it and they told me not to worry about it for the time being and that they'd handle the repair customers.

Five minutes later, all of the other employees were on the sales floor helping customers and the phone rings. I pick it up and it was a call regarding repairs.
"Thank you for calling [Store name | Store slogan], this is Michael speaking. How can I assist you today?"
"Hi, I just wanted to know how much the sizing of a ring will cost? Will it depend on how big or small I want it?"

"We have a base cost for sizings. So how large or small you would want to make it does not matter. The repair charge is 12$, plus tax. And according to our logbook we can have it fully repaired and back in store within four days if you were to bring it in before 2pm.

Oh, and if you purchased the ring from our store or another branch of the store, you'll have the gold warranty by default. Which will allow you to get at least one free sizing as well."

"So it's free?"

"If you purchased it from us and got either the default gold warranty and haven't used the sizing yet. Or the extended gold warranty, it will be free."

"But I didn't."

"Then it'll be 12$, plus tax. Oh, actually, could you hold for just a minute? I'd like to double check that price myself since there was talk about changing the prices."

"Okay."

I left the phone off the hook, because I wasn't certain about the phone system and spoke to the manage real fast. I was told the price should have been reduced to 11.50$, but as I went back to the phone, the girl had hung up.
About an hour later, there were no customers in the store. Everybody was lounging around and talking with each other as a very young Asian woman walked in. She went directly to the counter and asked for a ring repair. One of the two managers handled it liked they said earlier, but I was in the area so I overheard the conversation.

"Hey Phil!"

"Hey Jessica. How are you?"

"That's a bad thing to ask to somebody you refused to hire"

-- They both laughed --

"So I came in to have my ring resized to fit another finger."

"I'd be happy to handle that for you. We can have it back for you before the end of the week too."

"That's amazing. Great service and no cost, what more could you ask for?"

"Sorry, no cost? There will be a charge on this. We can't do it for free."

"What? But I was told it was free earlier."

"Who said that?"

"A guy named Michael. I don't know him, is he new?"

"Yes, he is. He told you it was free?"

-- Now the majority of the employees are in the area and can hear this --

"Yeah, he said it was free. But it didn't sound like he was confident on it. Said he was going to go check the price for me, but otherwise it'd be free. But he hung up on me before telling me."

"He did what now?"

"Yeah, I know! Not exactly the kind of service you'd expect from a high end place like [Store name]. I mean, I know all of the employees here and they're great people though so I suspect he will be at least somewhat competent soon"
All the other employees are looking at me, as she continues to talk about how should the store expect any business if they have somebody like me around. The bitch was relentless, continuously going on about it without even letting the manager have a word in.

I saw her directly glare at me during her rant and saw a stupidly wide smile.

I mouth, without saying a word, that I never said that and that she's lying to my coworkers. One of them walked up to me and whispered, "you should probably tactfully call her out on it soon". And I told'em, "in the training booklet, it said that a good way to handle a difficult customer is to let them vent out fully first."

She shrugs it off and went back to the sales floor.

In the end the girl walked out without getting the ring resize and I was spoken to "firmly" (his word, not mine) by the manager. Apparently she's a family friend that he's known for years and I should expect to see a lot of her.

And I did. After four months, that same girl was hired. I trained her, since she complained that proper management does training on the clock and in store, rather than at home. After two more months, they fired me and let her take my position.

Haven't worked retail since.

Not really any specific story, but around two months ago I worked at a local grocery store (I've since quit) and we'd get people who would come in ALL the time and try to buy way more than they had money for. Like, I could understand going a couple bucks over, but these people would always be like $100 off. You go into the store knowing how much you've got to spend, how are you not keeping some kind of running total in your head?

I'd always be the one that'd have to do re-stock to to put all their shit back that they couldn't pay for. Also had quite a few people who'd have to "run out to their car" to grab their checkbook, only to never return. Who the fuck does that?

Also, one time we had a guy come in and actually eat the raw meat in the meat department. He claimed he was testing it to make sure it was alright for his consumption. Only problem was the stuff that "wasn't fit to eat" according to him he'd just throw back into the display cases.

Not retail, but I've seen a few people post these types so I'll share.....I have some better long stories, but I just quit working at this pizza place and wanted to share some of the small things.

Pizza place is called Venice Pizza....I answer the phone "Venice Pizza, how can I help you?". Get customers who say "Hi Venice!". Usually just say "What do you need" but sometimes I say "My name isn't Venice" to which they just go "OK, I'll get a...."

We have garlic knots "3 for $1.25".
Routinely get:
"How much for 4?"
"OK, how much would 6 cost?"
"I need 13"

One of my funniest. Had a black guy come in, point to a Baked Ziti slice and say "Is that macaroni?". I say it is a Baked Ziti slice and he goes "OK, let me get that ::expletive:: (think N.....referring to the slice....)

What annoys me the most is how 99% of the customers complain about the slices if they are not fresh out of the oven. If the slices are even 20 minutes old. "No, I don't want that one, I want a fresh one!".

Well,

1. The sliced pies are slightly undercooked.....so when you put them back in they heat up and cook the rest of the way and end up very nice.
2. If EVERY customer only accepts slices that JUST came out, who will eat the "non-fresh" slices. If you want a fresh pizza, order a pie.

Sometimes I do get customers who aren't morons, and offer them the "non-fresh" slice and tell them if it isn't delicious I'll give them the other one. Haven't given out a "fresher" one yet because they come out of the oven THE SAME!

EDIT: Sometimes when we can tell/know a customer is difficult we sneak the older slices in the oven, or hide new pies. They NEVER complain! Because they can't tell. But if they SEE the slice isn't "fresh" all of a sudden they can taste a difference.

My most memorable retail experience was working at Starbucks 10 years ago. One night a customer had informed me that somebody took a dump that half landed on the side of the bowl and on the ground in the mens restroom. Somebody intentionally took a dump like that for whatever the hell reason. I didnt have any recent particular bad expierience with a customer so i wondered whether it was some dude taking it out on one of my coworkers. So the only 2 guys on shift (me and another guy) had to clean it up with mops and gloves. It is so horrific having to clean up after your own dump so having to handle some stranger's was almost traumatic.

Its hard to fully explain but imagine pieces of turd on the side of the bowl and most of them piled on the floor. I cant believe somebody tried to bend over and aim like that.

Ironically, i wasn't even scheduled to work that night. The night before the supervisor that was originally scheduled to work asked me to switch schedules with her.

I saw the same situation in the restroom at the movie theater a couple of months back. People who do that should be severely beaten.

I've seen in some public restrooms that some people like to go "top shelf" when taking a dump and shit on the back of the toilet instead of in the bowl. I don't know what joy is derived from that.

[quote name='Donut2922']My most memorable retail experience was working at Starbucks 10 years ago. One night a customer had informed me that somebody took a dump that half landed on the side of the bowl and on the ground in the mens restroom. Somebody intentionally took a dump like that for whatever the hell reason. I didnt have any recent particular bad expierience with a customer so i wondered whether it was some dude taking it out on one of my coworkers. So the only 2 guys on shift (me and another guy) had to clean it up with mops and gloves. It is so horrific having to clean up after your own dump so having to handle some stranger's was almost traumatic.

Its hard to fully explain but imagine pieces of turd on the side of the bowl and most of them piled on the floor. I cant believe somebody tried to bend over and aim like that.

Ironically, i wasn't even scheduled to work that night. The night before the supervisor that was originally scheduled to work asked me to switch schedules with her.[/QUOTE]
I would've refused for sure.

Tyler Perry needs to stop making movies, because apparently all of the crazy people come out of the woodwork when one gets released.

Yesterday I had two (delightful) guests to deal with.

I was working concessions, and got put on the one register (out of nine) without a card swiper or a receipt printer. It's also at the complete opposite end of the stand from where we normally have people stationed, so there are about three unstaffed POS terminals between me and my closest coworker. So, thankfully, my line stayed short (people didn't realize I was there), but unfortunately I got to deal with these two lovely ladies.

First one was standing maybe twenty-five feet away from the counter with her head craned high and her wallet in her hand. I shout, "Can I help the next guest?" nothing. "Ma'am, can I help you?" nothing. Okay, let her decide. Fine. That happens all the time. A coworker of mine comes up and asks me to get him something because I don't have a line and everyone else does. We aren't allowed to use cups (even courtesy cups) with the theater logo on them. Instead, we have to bring our own. As I am handing him his drink, this woman looks at me and goes. "Is that really appropriate?"

Me: "I'm sorry? If you mean the cup.. he works here, we aren't allowed to-"
Her: "He WORKS HERE? That's your excuse for letting him cut in front of a line of people and then serving him? What's WRONG WITH YOU? I need to speak to your manager. You can't be this fucking stupid."
Me: "Ma'am, there isn't one down here right now. Would you like a different cashier to help you and I can-"
Her: "Don't play dumb. You're probably going to get fired because you're such a shitty employee. No. Get someone. RIGHT NOW."

At this point the closest coworker walkied in one of our supervisors who came to my rescue.
Him: "Ma'am, what's wrong?"
Her: "This fucking idiot- DON'T STAND THERE LIKE YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU DID WRONG, GOD. WHAT IS WRONG WITH KIDS TODAY? TOO fuckING STUPID TO HAVE ANY GODDAMN SENSE -just let some sorry excuse for an employee cut in front of a line and served him. And her excuse was that he WORKS HERE? No. I spend all of this money and I expect decent customer service. What the fuck is wrong with all of you?"
Him: "What can I do to make this better? Do you want something for free? What can I do?"
Her: "NO, I don't want something for free. GOD. DON'T TRY TO WRITE ME OFF LIKE I'M SOME HASSLE. IS IT TOO MUCH TO EXPECT DECENT CUSTOMER SERVICE? You know what, fine. I'm calling corporate because neither of you know how to do your jobs. I'll have you fired for this, you degenerate bitch. If I tried pulling your stunt at costco, you have no idea. God. You are SO fuckING STUPID, JESUS CHRIST."

and left. I had no idea what to say to this woman, because I do need my job- and according to my supervisor, I had done nothing wrong. In his exact words: "I know that probably got under your skin.. but that lady was just crazy. Okay? Don't worry about it."

I find it hard to believe she ever worked in retail/customer service, too. Crazy bitch.

Second one was during the extra hour they kept me because of the rush. Girl comes up and demands I give her an icee from the broken icee flavor (it's not entirely frozen and very syrupy, we just mix it with the other flavors but don't sell it on its own because it's broken.) after I explain to her that it's broken and that I'm really not supposed to be selling it, a diet coke and some overpriced candy. I hand her the icee and the candy while I fill the coke and then I hand that to her as well. While she's sticking her huge ass purse on my counter, she knocks over the coke, and it slowly seeps towards her phone. I saw her snatch up the phone before the liquid got anywhere near it, which is a vital point for later. As I'm mopping it up:
Her: "I don't want the coke. Forget it."
Me: "Okay (takes it off of sale) Your total will then be 10.75."
Her: "Actually, no. You need to give me that drink for free."
Me: "I can't do that, you knocked it over and you said you didn't want it. You didn't pay for it, so you can't have it."
Her: "Then go get your manager."
Whatever. Not in the mood to deal with extra bullshit today. I go and get the manager on duty and explain to him that this girl just wants free shit for no reason, so he goes up to her and she says:

Her: "Your employee knocked over my drink and my phone got wet! I want it for free."
Him: "Did your phone get damaged?"
Her: "Yes! It doesn't even work anymore!"

As she is saying this, her phone rings and she answers it because IT DIDN'T GET WET.

Him: "No, you can't have a free anything. Your total is 10.75. Will that be cash or credit?"
Her: "But my phone-"
Him: "Works fine. Now pay, or let the next customer through, because you are wasting our time."

Ten minutes later she came back demanding we comp her icee as well because it was "too syrupy."

Coworker told her he couldn't replace it because the flavor was out, and she saw me as I was running for someone before I left. Instead of even calling out "hey kid" she just shook her cup at me saying "UH, HELLO?"

"Sorry- no refills. I warned you it was broken, twice, so you'll just have to live with it." and left.

I really hate people. One-hundred and ten percent.

I have found that this thread is very good for the head and the heart.

I'm in the electronics section and a gal walks up to me. This happened on the 5th.
Gal: I want item, but only one on shelf, I don't see any more.
Me: Alright, lets go see if it's hiding somewhere. *we go over and I don't see anymore*
Me: Well, looks like it's not here, lets go to the computer and find out when we may be getting it, or if other stores have them.
Gal: I'm just going to stay here.
Me: Okay..... well I'll be right back then.
*I go check the computer, we only have the one on the shelf, nowhere close has it, and we're getting more on the 11th and I walk back there to tell her so*
Me: Well, it looks like we only have the one on the shelf, the closest stores don't have it, but we are getting more on the 11th.
Gal: But, we want one in a box, the one on the shelf here doesn't have one.
Me: That is the only one we have right now though, if you don't want that one, we're getting more on the 11th.
Gal: But you only have the one on the shelf?
Me: Yeah, but we're getting more on the 11th, you should come back then.
Gal: *looks at her phone* Is today the 11th?
Me: *I look at my phone* No, today is the 5th, I'll see you in a couple days.

A couple walk up to me and this takes place.
Her: *mumbles*
Me: I'm sorry, What?
Her: Do you have a stand?
Me: Oh, yeah, all of those are with the furniture in the middle of the store.
Her: Oh, no, I'm sorry, I mean, do you have a lamp?
Me: Um, Yeah, those are still in the middle of the store.

And of course this always happens:
Them: Do you have X item?
Me: No, unfortunately, we don't.
Them: Well Z store has it.
Me: That's nice, unfortunately, we don't.
Them: Do you know what is the price of it at Y store?

So obviously, working retail, everyday I could tell a story. This one just topped the charts for me.

I work at Radio Shack. Every week there is a battery promotion where the batteries are on sale. This week, the deal is a 36 pack of AA or AAA batteries for $9.99.

Our store was out of 36 packs though, so we were authorized to do substitutions, which also worked well to sell them. We were pitching it as "Buy two 4-packs (AA or AAA), get 7 packs free!!" which works out to being 36 batteries for $9.99.

So this elderly man comes in (Which mind you, is 80% of my customer base. Not necessarily 80% of sales go to these elderly men, I could probably only account for that being 5-10%, but they ARE 80% of the people that come in.) and I greet him as I always do. After helping him get what he needs, we get to the register, where I mention the battery sale:

"Hey! Just so you know, we're doing a pretty unorthodox battery deal this week..."

"YEAH. I needed some of these AA's."

*He grabs 2 packs of AA's from the rack.*

"Oh cool, well the way the deal works is since you're buying 2 packs already, you'll actually get 7 packs free."

"What?"

"We're doing buy 2, get 7 free on the 4-packs this week!"

"What are you trying to do? Rip me off?"

"Huh?"

"I don't want to buy those batteries."

"You don't have to sir, they are free."

"I SAID I DON'T WANT... WHAT ARE YOU - TRYING TO RIP ME OFF? WHO THE fuck DO YOU THINK YOU ARE? I WANT TO TALK TO YOUR MANAGER! I'M GOING TO GET YOU FIRED!"

"Sir... I've... I've never been yelled at for giving something away for free... I can keep those back, you don't even have to take them. You CAN have them if you want to."

"I SAID... fuck YOU! I'M NEVER COMING BACK HERE AGAIN!"

Old man proceeds to hobble out of the store, trying to slam the hydraulic door behind him, only to have to slowly close anyway.

My manager then laughs hysterically at me for the next 5 minutes.

Ugh.

Andy's a lucky guy. I haven't had a 40 hour work week at Target since 2010. Nevertheless, I still encounter many weird, crazy people.

This woman is in the face wash aisle.

Me: Can I help you find something?
Her: Yes, I'm looking for this face wash that I used this morning that I always buy.
Me: What is it called?
Her: ... I don't know.
Me: Ok, does it come in a jar or a tube?
Her: I don't remember.

She then goes to the vendor with the same conversation and I move on. Who knows what was going on there?

That situation happened weeks ago. Here are two that occurred this week:

- I'm sitting at Food Avenue AKA Target Cafe AKA the mini cafeteria on my break and there's this old man talking on his cell phone near the exit. He looks upset and I couldn't figure out why until he suddenly yells: "DON'T YOU DARE GO INTO THAT GODDAMN CLEARANCE STORE!" Not only was it funny how he said it, but he's holding a full shopping bag in the other hand while talking on the phone.

-Yesterday, I'm working a flatbed full of candy into the candy aisle and a woman comes up behind me with a bag of Easter candy. She wants to know where to get more and I direct her to the Easter section which just happens to start in the next aisle/section of the store. Shortly afterwards I noticed another bag of Easter candy mixed in with regular candy and I bring it to her attention.

But before I can finish my sentence, she yells "Hold it in, hold it in" and proceeds to push her shopping cart behind me which rubs against the heels of my shoes as I'm bent over with the easter candy in hand. I look up at her and she's there with another lady laughing. I wasn't hurt (although if she was any closer I could have gone headfirst into the fencing that holds the candy) but she did say she didn't regret her "evasive move" and proceeded with a "just kidding" and walked in the opposite direction away from Easter candy. The other lady who was laughing shortly walked away in another direction.

I could have made a scene of the whole thing, but I'm a nice guy and didn't want to waste my time dealing with trashy people.

Wow some of these are truly rage inducing stories. I never really had to deal with any bad customers. If im somplace and I see things happening in a store sometimes I become a white knight, especially if its a greedy customer trying to make up some lies and ill call them out on it. They feel so powerful when they think you can get fired...and then lose it when you respond with I don't work here and smile.

27529_120501057961272_4245_n.jpg

On the other end of things,if I see some person flipping out, as long as they are not getting in someone's face ill encourage them for entertainment.

I also love when someone tries to slam a hydraulic door.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So I work at a local restaurant and here’s one of my most memorable phone conversations…

Cust: can I get a deliver? I’m by XX and XX street.
Me: ok, can I have your address?
Cust: I just told you! XX and XX St.
Me: yes but sir, I need an ADDRESS for delivery
Cust: can’t you just deliver to XX and XX st?
(this continues until I finally drill it into his head that I need an actual address…)
Cust: oh all right! Hold on a second!
(yells at his wife to find the address, I wait for over a minute as I hear paper crumbling and yelling. Many things go through my head, as I wonder why he has to look for this. He finally gives me an address)
Me: ok, is that a house or apartment?
Cust: I told you it’s a hotel!!! (He never did)
Me: ok sir can I have the room number?
Cust: yea, 236

I then repeat the address and he confirms it’s right. The wife mumbles something in the background and…

Cust: what did you say the room number is?
Me: 236
Cust: ARE YOU DEAF?? (Insert mean comment) I told you its 250!!

At this point I was just trying to avoid an argument, as my manager wasn’t in a very good mood that day. I proceed to take the rest of his order and the man try to convince me that he can order something that’s not on our menu. I tell him I can’t do that and he gets mad again. And to top it all off, he asks for my name at the end of the conversation and informs me to expect a complaint because of my poor service…

This other story happened when I was on the phone as well. There’s a rule at our restaurant that if the delivery order doesn’t come up to 20 dollars, they have to pay 5 dollars more for delivery (on top of the normal $2).

So one day this guy called in and said he wanted a delivery order, and I take down his information as usual. When it comes time for the actual order though, he orders two things that came up to around 18 dollars, so I tell him about the extra charge. He tells me to add something else and the total came to something like $25.60. He then told me to change that third item he just added, and I gave him another total that he apparently didn’t like either. This went on as he kept changing the last item to some other one until he finally told me that he had a $25 budget. I informed him that if he wanted to keep the first two items there’s NO WAY for it to be under 25 (with tax and delivery). He of course ignores this comment and just keeps changing his order to some other combination.
It took me about 5 minutes to convince him it wasn’t possible for his order to be under 25, so he finally placed an order (keep in mind this is about the smallest order I’ve ever taken and it took a reeeallly long time). When I tell him the delivery time is ½-1 hour though, he gets mad and tells me that if the order didn’t get to him within 40 minutes he wouldn’t take it. So of course after I hang up the phone I ran to the kitchen to tell the manager to put a rush on the order because of what just happened. They start cooking it right away as I left the kitchen.

When I got up to the front again, the phone rang and as I pick up the phone…you guessed it, it’s the SAME GUY. He tells me to cancel the order he just made (and I just put a rush on). I told him the kitchen is already making the food and asked him why he wanted to cancel, and like every good customer, he hangs up on me.

And then I walked slowly to the kitchen again…

[quote name='Vidory']So I work at a local restaurant and here’s one of my most memorable phone conversations…

Cust: can I get a deliver? I’m by XX and XX street.
Me: ok, can I have your address?
Cust: I just told you! XX and XX St.
Me: yes but sir, I need an ADDRESS for delivery
Cust: can’t you just deliver to XX and XX st?
(this continues until I finally drill it into his head that I need an actual address…)
Cust: oh all right! Hold on a second!
(yells at his wife to find the address, I wait for over a minute as I hear paper crumbling and yelling. Many things go through my head, as I wonder why he has to look for this. He finally gives me an address)
Me: ok, is that a house or apartment?
Cust: I told you it’s a hotel!!! (He never did)
Me: ok sir can I have the room number?
Cust: yea, 236

I then repeat the address and he confirms it’s right. The wife mumbles something in the background and…

Cust: what did you say the room number is?
Me: 236
Cust: ARE YOU DEAF?? (Insert mean comment) I told you its 250!!

At this point I was just trying to avoid an argument, as my manager wasn’t in a very good mood that day. I proceed to take the rest of his order and the man try to convince me that he can order something that’s not on our menu. I tell him I can’t do that and he gets mad again. And to top it all off, he asks for my name at the end of the conversation and informs me to expect a complaint because of my poor service…[/QUOTE]
I have a related story, one I may have told before, but whatever...

Back when I worked at Pizza Hut, one of my coworkers took a delivery order. The customer said his address was 30 California Blvd. Driver arrives, and the folks at that address say they didn't order anything. She calls the customer to confirm the address and he says, "it's actually 330, but one of the 3's fell off my house."

[quote name='Potatoeman']Spring Break hasn't started yet for some folks, or is still going on![/QUOTE]

Really? I always thought Spring Break was some week in March?

overall, I think I've just had about the most interesting easter in a while. First a customer passes out in the middle of dinner and the family (with a LOT of children) comes crying to the front. When the ambulance arrives and takes out the very bloody customer we thought things could at least cool down for a while.

But right after, we get a lady who comes in ordering wonton soup with extra wontons in them. when her food is ready, she makes a scene taking apart the entire bag and inspects every wonton with a spoon. She then informs us that there are less wontons than she ordered. We counted it again and tells her there is enough and packs up the food for her again. She leaves without saying anything...

wow...what happened to this thread? It used to have multiple stories every day and now...almost a month without anyone posting.

And no, I don't have any stories, that's why I'm not posting any.

Anyways...bump for new stories, I guess...

These stories are legitimately entertaining, but no more news one in a while disappoints the slightly sadistic side of me that wants to hear more tortured employee stories.

The other day I heard a customer getting loud with one of my bosses. He was standing there with about six double cheeseburgers, and he was yelling and causing a scene because he ordered them "plain," but we still put cheese on them. This was enough to make me hate him but then he goes "this is the FOURTH time in TWO WEEKS my food has been WRONG." Yeah, sir. It's been wrong because a "plain" cheeseburger doesn't mean "no cheese." That's a "hamburger." She tried to explain it to him but for whatever reason he wasn't getting it so finally he just went "I DON'T. LIKE. CHEESE." So she got his goddamn double hamburgers and I heard her say "so next time you're gonna say 'double hamburger,' right?" The guy goes "yeah, well that doesn't work either" and takes his food and storms out.

So, does a call center count as retail? Cause I work sales and have a few good stories. Most I can't remember, but, oh I know one. NOt the best one, but, an okay one.

So, one of the main types of calls I take is for a major women's clothing store, and this particular store has their own credit cards. And if the customer spends at least 1000 in one year they get free shipping. That is the only way they get free shipping. So I'm placing an order for a lady and at the very end...

Cust: Oh, and I get free shipping right?
Me:....um, no.
Cust: Why not?
Me: Only our Black card holders get free shipping, and you only have a Platinum card unfortunately.
Cust: Well everyone I've ever talked to has given me free shipping.
Me: Um, well they shouldn't have. I'm not sure why they did.
Cust: So are you giving me free shipping or not?
Me: Unfortunatly I'm not authorized....
*click*

I could post stories on an almost daily basis (even faster with some of the people I work with), but I don't want to come off as spamming. And with our back to school section complete, I'm sure they'll be plenty of morons to talk about.

I'll start with two quick ones:

1. A woman wanted to know the price of one of the frozen sandwiches. I scanned the item on my PDA and tell her $3.15. She points to a sign above it with the same product that says $2.99. I agree that it was incorrect and she brings out a receipt and starts complaining ... in Spanish talking a mile a minute. I don't know what the hell she is saying, but I'm trying to tell her we can adjust the price to make her happy when she says suddenly says in English "I AM A BUSINESS WOMAN" and storms off. I never saw someone so passionate about losing 15 cents in my life.

That was about a month ago. This next one was today:

2. A woman was asking me where to find the women's razors. I tell her it's on Aisle A41 and proceed to walk with her. She sees the "A42" sign, turns around to look at me and asks "Where is A41?"

My head is next to the A41 sign. I actually had to point to my right and tell her she had to subtract one number from the A42 sign to find A41. Unfazed, she walks into the aisle and thanks me.

bread's done
Back