Is there a difference between HDMI cables?

threlish

CAGiversary!
I went to Best Buy because my HDMI cables crapped out and was too impatient to wait for Amazon shipping and the sales person said there is a difference in picture quality between the high cost and low cost cables(of course he said that but I want to see what you guys think). Is there a difference in picture quality and, if so, what do you guys suggest?

The answer is no. The salesperson is full of shit. There MIGHT be some slight increase in performance, but it is nothing you would even be able to visually notice.

nope monoprice.com is where I get all my HDMI cables from. Heck any cable I need I order from them. Screw Monster cable and there over priced $60 HDMI cables.

I always use the amazon basics. They are fine. My previous HDMI broke though, I think it was because I keep unplugging it to connect to my laptop.

[quote name='Samuelc79']How is Amazon Basic vs monoprice?[/QUOTE]

AmazonBasic HDMI cables are black and come in 2 sizes. The monoprice cables come in different colors and come in more than 2 sizes. The ones both of them sell have the newest standard, so they support 3D and have the audio return channel. HDMI cables are digital, so they work the same. You either get a signal or you don't.

Yes indeed there certainly IS a difference between the high cost and low cost HDMI cables.

With the high cost cables they sell, Best Buy makes alot of money. With the lower cost cables (not sold at Best Buy) -- they make NO money. :razz:

There is a difference but not what you think. How long they are will degrade tbe signal but unless you plan on buying one in the 25-50 foot range I would go with the cheap ones

Q. How can I tell if a cable is an HDMI certified cable?
All HDMI products are required to be certified by the manufacturer as part of the HDMI Compliance Test Specification. However, there may be instances where cables bearing the HDMI logo are available but have not been properly tested. HDMI Licensing, LLC actively investigates these instances to ensure that the HDMI trademark is properly used in the market. We recommend that consumers buy their cables from a reputable source and a company that is trusted.

Q. What is the difference between a “Standard” HDMI cable and a “High-Speed” HDMI cable?
Recently, HDMI Licensing, LLC announced that cables would be tested as Standard or High-Speed cables.

• Standard (or “category 1”) HDMI cables have been tested to perform at speeds of 75Mhz or up to 2.25Gbps, which is the equivalent of a 720p/1080i signal.
    Standard_Rectangle_FINAL_10-4-09.jpg
  • High Speed (or “category 2”) HDMI cables have been tested to perform at speeds of 340Mhz or up to 10.2Gbps, which is the highest bandwidth currently available over an HDMI cable and can successfully handle 1080p signals including those at increased color depths and/or increased refresh rates from the Source. High-Speed cables are also able to accommodate higher resolution displays, such as WQXGA cinema monitors (resolution of 2560 x 1600).
    HighSpeed_Rectangle_FINAL_10-4-09.jpg
Buy a certified hdmi cable and buy a hdmi cable with the high speed logo. Also do not buy an hdmi cable from any of these manufactures on the terminated list.
http://www.hdmi.org/learningcenter/adopters_terminated.aspx

Go for an amazonbasics hdmi cable, trusted brand, and a high quality cable for a good price. I don't trust the no name brands that sell below $2 cables being plugged into an expensive hdtv.

I am going to have to give amazonbasics a shot I just ordered one I was in need of another since I sold one of my cheapy cables off with my xbox 360 to some guy.

just goto any electronics store with a large clearance selections(Kmart/Sears/Target/Walmart) & you can score the high priced ones for the same cheap price as the cheap ones $8 or less. Also, check Sam's Club/BJ's/Costco they won't be quite as cheap though.

Here is the simplest answer:
1. Find out if there are any restock fees if you return the cables.
2. Buy different priced ones ranging from the expensive to the cheapest.
3. Go home and test them, see if you can tell the difference. Have someone else do the connecting of the cables and you can guess which one it was plugged in.
4. Return all of them telling the customer service that you were lied to and want your money back.
5. Buy your cables from monoprice.com or amazon.com
*Skip 1-4 and just go straight to step 5 and save yourself time and money and gas. Digital means either you get the signal or you do not get the signal. The rest is just marketing hype.

[quote name='Enuf']just goto any electronics store with a large clearance selections(Kmart/Sears/Target/Walmart) & you can score the high priced ones for the same cheap price as the cheap ones $8 or less. Also, check Sam's Club/BJ's/Costco they won't be quite as cheap though.[/QUOTE]
You mean like the official Sony branded ones that came with a USB to mini USB charging cable that Kmart sold for $7.99 on clearance a couple years ago or that Blockbuster was selling for $3.99 over the summer?;)

I work at Best Buy and hardly ever recommend anything but the most basic HDMI cables. Half the time I just direct people to Amazon. However I will say that you do need a ethernet HDMI if you're running a 3D TV & 3D capable device.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']You mean like the official Sony branded ones that came with a USB to mini USB charging cable that Kmart sold for $7.99 on clearance a couple years ago or that Blockbuster was selling for $3.99 over the summer?;)[/QUOTE]I got some really expensive(over $80) monster cables @ Kmart & target on clearance for less than $15 just b/c the packaging was "too big" & there was now newer packaged ones on the sales floor.

[quote name='Fell Open Ian']As long as they are shielded with decent connectors then you're fine.
(typically ~$10)[/QUOTE]

yep! did a small test myself a while back. found no differences

Mono Price is great of all cables.

HDMI I have a few 30 Foot runs I did in this house and I have no Issues.

30 foot HDMI for $25 from mono price. I wonder how much that would be from Monster :)

I personally use Blue Jeans Cable Company but they admit on their website that their cables are overkill for most applications. I do like their quality and their standards, I also like they stood toe to toe legally with Monster. There is a lot of literature on their web page http://www.bluejeanscable.com/ and I think they're awesome for all they provide.

I buy Monoprice for the stuff I have a hard time finding stuff for, I use BJCC for my HDMI stuff because they have information and I like supporting people like them. Plus their cables are top notch. Last I checked the only part that was done in China was the connectors and they were trying to get that done in the US.

The only time I ran into any HDMI issues was with a cable from Verizon not supporting an XBox 360(connection dropped in and out), swapped out to a better cable and it was fine.

[quote name='razrvamp']There is a difference but not what you think. How long they are will degrade tbe signal but unless you plan on buying one in the 25-50 foot range I would go with the cheap ones[/QUOTE]

Bullshit.

I'm running a 75' and 50' cable through my walls and have had zero issues with signal degradation. I've had this setup for over 3 years now without problem. Both cables came from monoprice.

bread's done
Back