- - - - -

Madkatz Brawlstick 29.99 @ Gamestop

#121 CaoPi   (Chou Pei) Mousou nut, KOEI fan CAGiversary!   10602 Posts   Joined 12.9 Years Ago  

Posted 06 February 2012 - 02:36 AM

Here is the vid on how to mod it, personally taking the quick disconnects were a pain in the ass for me. I just went with some nose pliers (non-scratch). If your going to use your hands taking the quick disconnects off, all I can say is good luck not saving pain in your thumb the next day later...Make sure to pull from the quick disconnect metal and and not the rubber part itself

I personally have modded 3 of these SE sticks already. It's easy to do once you get the idea down

Edited by CaoPi, 06 February 2012 - 03:00 AM.

#122 DTvn   CAG Veteran CAG Veteran   15 Posts   Joined 6.5 Years Ago  

Posted 06 February 2012 - 02:58 AM

I feel weird with the Rock staring at me when i'm playing

#123 arsenalcrazy8   As Cheap As Wenger. CAGiversary!   2041 Posts   Joined 9.0 Years Ago  

arsenalcrazy8

Posted 06 February 2012 - 03:05 AM

sigh I wanted this but the gamestops in my area only have the ps3 version and almost ALL my fighting games are on my 360...and those seem to be sold out everywhere. I had the ps3 verion in my hand, and just couldnt pull the trigger...

#124 Jackie Chandler   Jamanandayo! CAGiversary!   3164 Posts   Joined 9.4 Years Ago  

Jackie Chandler

Posted 06 February 2012 - 03:38 AM

sigh I wanted this but the gamestops in my area only have the ps3 version and almost ALL my fighting games are on my 360...and those seem to be sold out everywhere. I had the ps3 verion in my hand, and just couldnt pull the trigger...

You could always dual mod it.

#125 CAGkrazy   Yeah Boi! CAGiversary!   2670 Posts   Joined 6.7 Years Ago  

CAGkrazy

Posted 06 February 2012 - 03:41 AM

Got the last ps3 one on my local GameStop.This is actually my first fight stick. Because of the post about modding and the art change possibilities, I decided to just buy one . I'm looking forward to modding this.

#126 Tom Im Not   The artist formerly known as MtlTom CAGiversary!   892 Posts   Joined 9.7 Years Ago  

Tom Im Not

Posted 06 February 2012 - 03:48 AM

I've found the best way to remove the quick disconnects is with a small flat head screw driver. Wedge the tip between the button & the QD & wiggle it back & fourth. Don't use a lot of force, they will slide off easily. When you out the QDs back on, just crimp them with the pliers.

#127 Solder   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   359 Posts   Joined 8.1 Years Ago  

Posted 06 February 2012 - 04:18 AM

For those that are considering Seimitsu, the LS-32 fits in there, as well as any 30mm button.

Seimitsu sticks are tighter than the Sanwa JLF, and the buttons are a tad less responsive (still super responsive, but someone farting across the street can set off a Sanwa pushbutton, and some people (like me) have a nasty habit of resting their fingers sometimes while playing).

#128 Romeo   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3801 Posts   Joined 14.7 Years Ago  

Posted 06 February 2012 - 05:47 AM

Same for me except for the one PS3 fighting game I own... heh.

#129 RollingSkull   Banned Banned   6307 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

RollingSkull

Posted 06 February 2012 - 06:26 AM

None at my stops. My dreams of playing tournament tier WWE All Stars are crushed. Now my Honky Tonk Man will forever be buried by the champion's HHH because the 360 controller just isn't precise enough. ;_;

#130 plus1zero   The wall just got 10 feet higher CAGiversary!   6535 Posts   Joined 6.6 Years Ago  

Posted 06 February 2012 - 06:35 AM

I got one and it was not sealed or wrapped in plastic. The cord was wrapped in plastic but not the actual stick. Looked new though. Either way I was planning on upgrading the buttons and joystick. If I were you I would have still bought the stick.

Same for me

#131 Jackie Chandler   Jamanandayo! CAGiversary!   3164 Posts   Joined 9.4 Years Ago  

Jackie Chandler

Posted 06 February 2012 - 02:29 PM

I got around to taking the stick/buttons/artwork out of my stick last night, and like everyone else has said, it was really simple. Once I get my new buttons/balltop in the mail and get my lemi-label, it'll be a breeze putting it all back together.

I did have just a couple small problems though. I didn't know exactly how to remove the connector initially, so I just pulled on the entire piece. That glue Madkatz put on it must've been stupidly strong, since the board the receiving piece is connected to budged a bit before the connector did. And like other people have said, taking care of the disconnects on the buttons was a pain. I have very soft fingers, so I had to use pliers to remove about half of them- and even then, I hated to grip those small pieces of metal with such heavy-duty pliers. The entire time I felt like I was going to either grip too hard or pull too hard and destroy one of the pieces (thankfully, I didn't).

#132 oldschool990   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   146 Posts   Joined 8.7 Years Ago  

oldschool990

Posted 06 February 2012 - 07:24 PM

I got one and it was not sealed or wrapped in plastic. The cord was wrapped in plastic but not the actual stick. Looked new though. Either way I was planning on upgrading the buttons and joystick. If I were you I would have still bought the stick.

I'm guessing you never brought a fightstick before? Cause must fight stick don't have any plastic wrap around the fight stick at all, maybe wrap around the cord tho...

#133 Romeo   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3801 Posts   Joined 14.7 Years Ago  

Posted 06 February 2012 - 08:05 PM

I'm guessing you never brought a fightstick before? Cause must fight stick don't have any plastic wrap around the fight stick at all, maybe wrap around the cord tho...

I brought it up because the only stick my store had had buttons all scratched to hell, like swirl marks in car paint. It did NOT appear new though the cord did have plastic around it, just not the stick or buttons.

#134 Hexor   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   47 Posts   Joined 8.3 Years Ago  

Posted 06 February 2012 - 09:47 PM

I brought it up because the only stick my store had had buttons all scratched to hell, like swirl marks in car paint. It did NOT appear new though the cord did have plastic around it, just not the stick or buttons.

mine was exactly as you describe, i noticed that as soon as i opened it, tried looking for fingerprints immediately but couldn't find any, so i assume they are all the same. Not too worried about it i bought it for modding :P

#135 CaoPi   (Chou Pei) Mousou nut, KOEI fan CAGiversary!   10602 Posts   Joined 12.9 Years Ago  

Posted 06 February 2012 - 10:32 PM

Both of the sticks I picked up had light scratches and what not on the artwork and buttons. The cording was still new sealed along with the instructions and mic adapter taped to the front of the flap where you open it up.

As long as everything looks like new, I wouldn't worry, besides you can mod it later if anything goes bad.

#136 prettycrazy   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   217 Posts   Joined 7.7 Years Ago  

prettycrazy

Posted 06 February 2012 - 10:53 PM

Wrestling. EW. I'm going to have the change the art ASAP when I get that..

Sent a hold request. Hopefully they have one at my nearest store..

#137 Romeo   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3801 Posts   Joined 14.7 Years Ago  

Posted 06 February 2012 - 11:49 PM

Both of the sticks I picked up had light scratches and what not on the artwork and buttons. The cording was still new sealed along with the instructions and mic adapter taped to the front of the flap where you open it up.

As long as everything looks like new, I wouldn't worry, besides you can mod it later if anything goes bad.

Would you agree it's best to get a 360 controller? I'm torn on getting this due to owning an arcade stick on 360 and can only get a PS3 brawl stick in my region, plus I don't own any stick for PS3.

#138 Wayne Cabana   Ding! CAGiversary!   196 Posts   Joined 12.2 Years Ago  

Wayne Cabana

Posted 07 February 2012 - 12:00 AM

Would you agree it's best to get a 360 controller? I'm torn on getting this due to owning an arcade stick on 360 and can only get a PS3 brawl stick in my region, plus I don't own any stick for PS3.

Modding a PS3 stick to run on X360 is expensive (MC Cthulhu + IMPv2 + Gutting a 360 controller for the PCB) and difficult (lots of soldering, tripple checking that everything is grounded properly, fitting it all in the case properly, etc). And that's without upgrading the stick and buttons to arcade quality.

#139 prettycrazy   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   217 Posts   Joined 7.7 Years Ago  

prettycrazy

Posted 07 February 2012 - 12:04 AM

My store is out. The only other close store wouldn't give me the pickup option.. the rest are 50+ miles. That sucks.. Looks like I'm out on this.

Thanks for the topic though.

#140 czechspam   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   150 Posts   Joined 10.5 Years Ago  

Posted 07 February 2012 - 12:54 AM

Thanks for the tip OP. Got one of the last PS3 sticks in the area on Saturday.

#141 jab1235   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   851 Posts   Joined 8.7 Years Ago  

Posted 07 February 2012 - 01:05 AM

If I bought this and wanted to mod it where is the best place to get parts, I heard good things about sanwa but the buttons and sticks are ~$25 for a stick/set of buttons on amazon which seemed a bit steep.

#142 Tom Im Not   The artist formerly known as MtlTom CAGiversary!   892 Posts   Joined 9.7 Years Ago  

Tom Im Not

Posted 07 February 2012 - 01:14 AM

If I bought this and wanted to mod it where is the best place to get parts, I heard good things about sanwa but the buttons and sticks are ~$25 for a stick/set of buttons on amazon which seemed a bit steep.

There are a lot of options, the most popular seem to be Lizard Lick & Focus Attack. I've had nothing but excellent experiences with both companies, but right now I would probably recommend Focus Attack. LL seems to be having a lot of issues with backorders.

Also, you might also want to check out Arcade Shock. Never ordered from them but have heard good things.

If you do 8 Sanwa/Seimitsu buttons & a stick, expect to spend right around $50 or more before shipping.

#143 Solder   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   359 Posts   Joined 8.1 Years Ago  

Posted 07 February 2012 - 04:57 AM

Currently I'd heavily recommend Focus Attack for domestic U.S orders.

Glad to see so many people got in on this for use and not just a bunch of resellers. Finished modding one with MvC2 artwork tonight, and gotta think of some artwork for my 4 year old nephew's as well.

Seeing him go nuts playing Street Fighter on one of my TE's @ Christmas was toooooo much. It'll be a nice present to have stocked for his next birthday.

#144 100xp   Blizzard Spy CAGiversary!   4427 Posts   Joined 9.6 Years Ago  

Posted 07 February 2012 - 05:06 AM

Currently I'd heavily recommend Focus Attack for domestic U.S orders.

Glad to see so many people got in on this for use and not just a bunch of resellers. Finished modding one with MvC2 artwork tonight, and gotta think of some artwork for my 4 year old nephew's as well.

Seeing him go nuts playing Street Fighter on one of my TE's @ Christmas was toooooo much. It'll be a nice present to have stocked for his next birthday.

funny thing, done right almost anything would look good...how about a sponge bob square pants controller with all yellow buttons, a yellow batstick for his nose and theme the rest out accordingly? if i happen to see one at GS, I'll pick one up to mod as well.

#145 CaoPi   (Chou Pei) Mousou nut, KOEI fan CAGiversary!   10602 Posts   Joined 12.9 Years Ago  

Posted 07 February 2012 - 05:16 AM

Uh that would be a hell no, once I used stick (full sanwa parts) I never went back to using a controller of any form. Besides the pad and the button layout is a POS on the 360

I usually buy my parts from the madcatz store always keep a looking because they have 10% off plus free shipping on holiday sales

#146 apterous   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   818 Posts   Joined 8.7 Years Ago  

apterous

Posted 07 February 2012 - 05:17 AM

Used the template and got a lami at Kinko's like the instructions said.

Posted Image

It's not great, a bit frayed around the edges, but... and I cannot stress this point enough... it is now no longer The Rock starting back at me.

#147 Solder   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   359 Posts   Joined 8.1 Years Ago  

Posted 07 February 2012 - 05:20 AM

funny thing, done right almost anything would look good...how about a sponge bob square pants controller with all yellow buttons, a yellow batstick for his nose and theme the rest out accordingly? if i happen to see one at GS, I'll pick one up to mod as well.

Haha, thankfully my brother doesn't have him watching that show. Probably just go with super bright colors in a pattern rather than a certain theme,

(Though he did like Zangief a lot, and I have nothing but love for the idea of a Red Cyclone stick for a little kid)

#148 CaoPi   (Chou Pei) Mousou nut, KOEI fan CAGiversary!   10602 Posts   Joined 12.9 Years Ago  

Posted 07 February 2012 - 05:24 AM

Used the template and got a lami at Kinko's like the instructions said.

Posted Image

It's not great, a bit frayed around the edges, but... and I cannot stress this point enough... it is now no longer The Rock starting back at me.

Did you take off the stock buttons and everything before mounting the artwork? The edge on the right is definately noticeable. There are some kick ass templates on the SRK forums!

I don't look at my stick alot when playing so I never changed the art template on mines.

#149 Solder   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   359 Posts   Joined 8.1 Years Ago  

Posted 07 February 2012 - 05:26 AM

Yes, you remove everything before applying the new lami-label. Even the metal plate itself from the box (if you want to do it right).

Remove the plate and line up your areas to be cut out via exacto knife. Mark and cut them out. Then reassemble the top panel onto the case and carefully add your lami-label. Doing it this way covers up the 5 screw holes. If that won't bother you, adhere the sticker while it's off the case and just cut out the holes afterwards.

That's how I mod SE cases anyways.

Edited by Solder, 07 February 2012 - 06:59 AM.

#150 CaoPi   (Chou Pei) Mousou nut, KOEI fan CAGiversary!   10602 Posts   Joined 12.9 Years Ago  

Posted 07 February 2012 - 05:33 AM

Here were some art templates I found these are mostly TE though, you can make your own if you want just check out the 1st page on the thread

http://shoryuken.com....137307/page-64

http://yfrog.com/nv52amj:tw1
Spoiler

Edited by CaoPi, 07 February 2012 - 05:54 AM.