Soul Calibur V and Final Fantasy XIII-2 w/$20 GC at Best Buy (PM of Target) B&M YMMV

PatelKing

CAGiversary!
So Best buy gaming reps have gotten a memo stating that they are matching Target's offer of free $20 Gift card with purchase of either of these 2 games. 2 different stores both told me this. However, this only applies to the standard version, not the Collector's which I got.

For anyone that purchased at Best buy, I would go back and get a price adjustment/match. If they say no, tell them to look up the gaming memo that they are matching the offer.

I lucked out and got them to PM the deal on the CE. And they straight up took the 20$ off :D.

Though, i knew that was extra super ymmv

[quote name='PatelKing']So Best buy gaming reps have gotten a memo stating that they are matching Target's offer of free $20 Gift card with purchase of either of these 2 games. 2 different stores both told me this. However, this only applies to the standard version, not the Collector's which I got.

For anyone that purchased at Best buy, I would go back and get a price adjustment/match. If they say no, tell them to look up the gaming memo that they are matching the offer.[/QUOTE]

Well the CSR told me that their memo said they are NOT PM'ing the GC...until I got the fucker to ask his MOD and *almost* got a PM on the CE, but they would only give me 20 off the standard. fuckers. oh well.

Hmm, drat, I shoulda had this PM'd. Oh well, at least I have the extra $5 gift card from reserving at Target towards a PSN card to buy Dampierre down the line... But my fanboyism is getting the better of me since he seems like the kind of zany character I would want to use. :/

Great deal for you FF fans but I'm sure most CAGs know not to pay full price for a fighting game. Unfortunately, i don't think the retailers got that memo

[quote name='sgr76']Great deal for you FF fans but I'm sure most CAGs know not to pay full price for a fighting game. Unfortunately, i don't think the retailers got that memo[/QUOTE]

Except we fighting game fans are weak.... and SC Isn't a series that releases super ultra versions.

Fail for me at the Torrance CA Best Buy. The female employee in the gaming section kept stating they only match prices, not any other deals. I asked her if she could check the gaming memo on this. She repeated what she said, so I asked her, "So, you can't just check on your computer to be sure?" and she flat out said she's not checking anything in there system because they don't match offers, just price differences. Oh well...I didn't wanna go to customer service and try (long day) so I just left.

I remember when Super Mario Galaxy came out and Toys R Us had a $20 giftcard offer, and Best Buys were more than willing to match that offer (via a gaming memo) and that memo had a specific sku they needed to enter to make it happen.

I wonder if anybody who got this deal can confirm if there's a sku for the match on your receipt that we might be able to ask them to try entering at the register?

I notice some promotions at best buy requires a certain barcode scan to activate. Like when I got the free gamers unlock promo this week, after the associate scanned the pre-owned game, he pulled out this binder containing pages and pages of bar codes. I also remember the time when I bought a smartphone that came with a gift card, that associate also had a stack of papers with unique bar codes that needed to be scanned before it would offer/discount the gift card.

I guess these papers are the "gaming memo" maybe.

[quote name='KtMack23']Except we fighting game fans are weak.... and SC Isn't a series that releases super ultra versions.[/QUOTE]

Except SCV is just a shell of SCIV. This will probably be my biggest let down of the year, and I love this series. :(

Everytime I see a b&m deal, I can't help but to factor in gas to get there and tax on a $60 product. Cheap cheap cheap's the name of my soul.

[quote name='Kaiser499']yeah Soul Calibur V is not worth getting, it has a severe lack of content and Namco rushed to get this game out.[/QUOTE]
They had 3-4 for years for this. Wonder what they were doing. But your probably right since team soul had someone else do the campaign.

You would think after the Deus Ex boss fights more people would think twice about stuff like that.

[quote name='shadowrage']They had 3-4 for years for this. Wonder what they were doing. But your probably right since team soul had someone else do the campaign.

You would think after the Deus Ex boss fights more people would think twice about stuff like that.[/QUOTE]
Namco Bandai is what happened to them...when the game was first revealed, one of the producers tweeted that the game was still in early development, they'd need approx. another 16 months to finish it. And then they release it 6 months from the announcement :roll: The game is woefully unfinished, I'll definitely be holding out for a "Complete Edition" unless I can find the Collector's for cheap or something

I personally have been enjoying SC5. Can't remember ever playing SC, but if I did it was many years ago.

So is Bestbuy giving a $20 GC, or are they taking $20 off?

[quote name='krashhole']I personally have been enjoying SC5. Can't remember ever playing SC, but if I did it was many years ago.

So is Bestbuy giving a $20 GC, or are they taking $20 off?[/QUOTE]

They are taking 20 off the standard edition... the CE only if your are damn lucky. oh btw...if you are looking up the CE at target, it says it's for the 3DS ONLY (text), yet the image shows PS3/360 lol.:lol:
They tried to bitch at me saying that it's only for the 3ds...yet there IS NO SCV for the 3DS!!!

It's too bad they put the soundtrack on the CE version and not on the strategy guide like they have in the past.

[quote name='Kaiser499']yeah Soul Calibur V is not worth getting, it has a severe lack of content and Namco rushed to get this game out.[/QUOTE]

If you play only single player mode, then yes. Competitive players and tourney players will find the game awesome.

I find that it's taking longer to unlock more outfits.......in SC4 I could unlock a lot more faster and build some really cool characters. Too bad this game does not allow you to import character designs from SC4. :(

According to the Memo. Employees are supposed to scan the game. Add a Gift Card to the transaction for $20. Then Discount the Game down to $39.99. So the customer is still paying $59.99 but you end up getting slightly cheaper tax because the game is $39.99 and you do not have sales tax on the gift card. So its slightly cheaper than Target since you are saving $20 in sales tax.

Soul Calibur V isnt bad, its just not what most people expected. The offline modes are pretty lacking (And the AI is broken as some of the old school SNK bosses on hard mode).

But the game has some of the best online features i have seen in a fighter. The lobbies are awesome, and it seems to have plenty of community related features to make the game stay alive for quite a while. Plus, this game isnt gonna get the "Super Ultra" Capcom treatment. (Though, it is getting DLC though)

[quote name='Hellacious']According to the Memo. Employees are supposed to scan the game. Add a Gift Card to the transaction for $20. Then Discount the Game down to $39.99. So the customer is still paying $59.99 but you end up getting slightly cheaper tax because the game is $39.99 and you do not have sales tax on the gift card. So its slightly cheaper than Target since you are saving $20 in sales tax.[/QUOTE]

So where is this memo that says they are NOT doing this promo match? In the past few months all my local BB's have changed that big blue and white poster near CS that has the information on the returns/pm policies to something smaller and doesn't mention PM's.

[quote name='AriesWarlock']If you play only single player mode, then yes. Competitive players and tourney players will find the game awesome.[/QUOTE]

Could not agree more. The online more than makes up for the next to nonexistent single player content IMO. I'd go far as to say that the netcode is the best I've seen yet in any fighter.

I wouldnt say the net-code is the best....i have been disconnected from so many Ranked matches (And im pretty sure most werent rage-quits, they happened right after the round started)

But for a 3-D fighter, its pretty damn good.

True. I guess I was a bit hasty in making such a bold claim. I've only had one rage quit so far, but have had about a dozen random disconnects. I don't know if that's an issue with people not configuring their routers correctly or it's a problem with the game itself. Hopefully they'll work something out in a patch. The disconnects aside, I've seen next to no lag in my matches, even when a match has 3/5 bars. The netcode is leaps and bounds beyond what SC4 had.

[quote name='ITDEFX']So where is this memo that says they are NOT doing this promo match? In the past few months all my local BB's have changed that big blue and white poster near CS that has the information on the returns/pm policies to something smaller and doesn't mention PM's.[/QUOTE]

It was a Employee News Article. It basically stated follow standard procedure on the price match policy aka verify that the competitor has the item in stock at the time of requested price match. And then it gave directions below that of how to process the $20 gift card and the game priced at $39.99 to make up the difference to $59.99. You still save the tax percentage since the game itself is $20 cheaper.

SCV is not for everyone. It's a pretty great game for me, but I can't really explain why. I enjoy learning the new fighting styles and perfecting old ones. Also, the visuals are pretty great and it has just the right amount of style for me. I think it's pretty accessible too for new players, but if you're going to learn, you're going to have to learn to do so the old fashion way: go into training and learn the moves yourself. lol Or, if you have a friend, you can spar some and practice and have fun. I don't recommend this game for casual players who've never played any SC before, but it's great for fans and fighting game enthusiasts that want to put in a little time to get some results. And although many will tell you several good characters have been left out, the new ones play great as well; that's entirely preference though, I can't speak for everyone.

My biggest complaint, in fact, is Namco's participation in this. They rushed the project in order to get it out on the market, and perhaps the most aggravating part is that they gave Dampierre [an entire character] as a preorder exclusive specifically to Best Buy. I know BB probably pays good money for these exclusives, but its really not fair for the rest of us. Another game that comes to mind that I likely would have felt defeated about was the Robin DLC for Arkham City, had I bought the game closer to release.

Nice find op. I traded in a copy of COD3 I got with the Xbox special edition from New Egg and they matched Target's GC for $25. i wish they had just given the money off the CE I bought but still I managed to get the CE for $50 with a $25 left over after all was said and done.

[quote name='KtMack23']Except we fighting game fans are weak.... and SC Isn't a series that releases super ultra versions.[/QUOTE]

That is the main reason I am thinking of getting it now. But at the same time that could be used to reason me into waiting and picking it up used later down the line...

To be honest, its a really good game. And its probably my favorite 3D fighter ever (Wasnt really a fan of 4, and the recent Tekken's have been meh for me).

Its just the offline mode that is lacking. The online is amazing.

As far as Dampierre goes, he'll be released eventually. Either way, i doubt many people who even got him have used him or plan to (I have played about 90 matches online, and i'm the only Dampierre user so far)

[quote name='Hellacious']According to the Memo. Employees are supposed to scan the game. Add a Gift Card to the transaction for $20. Then Discount the Game down to $39.99. So the customer is still paying $59.99 but you end up getting slightly cheaper tax because the game is $39.99 and you do not have sales tax on the gift card. So its slightly cheaper than Target since you are saving $20 in sales tax.[/QUOTE]
I decided to get final fantasy xiii-2 so I went in to try the price match. Went straight to customer service desk. The people there will deny you cause they know not to price match a gift card. You will need a gaming manager since they have access to the "gaming memo". It took the gaming manager about 5 minutes to read through what I assume is the gaming memo on the computer which was used for online pickup at my store o_O. He then looked at the target weekly AD on target's website and called to confirm stock availability of the game. Everything went smoothly for me.

Here is how he processed the price match for me. He grabbed a gift card and loaded it up to $63.74 ($59.99 game + state tax) which I paid. Scanned the game and adjusted the price to $39.99 + state tax. Used the $63.74 gift card to pay for the game. Total remaining balance on my card came to $21.25. So I basically got Final Fantasy xiii-2 for $39.99 + state tax and a $21.25 gift card since I did not got taxed at $59.99. Pretty sweet deal along with that episode i hardcover book.

So this deal is not exactly ymmv if you get the right person and is willing to take the time to get you this deal.

Thanks OP for the tip!

[quote name='dgwillia006']As far as Dampierre goes, he'll be released eventually. Either way, i doubt many people who even got him have used him or plan to (I have played about 90 matches online, and i'm the only Dampierre user so far)[/QUOTE]

I've played about 70 matches in and also have yet to see a single person play as him. The rest of the roster is strong enough that you'll hardly miss him.

Soul Calibur is mediocre unless you're an online competitive fighting zealot, it's by far the weakest entry in the series outside of the core gameplay being a bit better and having better online. Otherwise it's highly disappointing for anyone who likes Soul Calibur for being more than some sort of medieval Tekken. The game is fun online, but this release has none of the soul that made past games worth buying.

I thought Target did the same thing. At least they did when I bought a netbook last summer. $250 w/ $50 GC. Netbook price reduced to $200 and $50 for the GC. Paid tax on $200.

Then again...I don't remember it being that way when they were giving $10 GCs with the Kinect games or whatever the deal was.

[quote name='dgwillia006']
As far as Dampierre goes, he'll be released eventually. Either way, i doubt many people who even got him have used him or plan to (I have played about 90 matches online, and i'm the only Dampierre user so far)[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I haven't run to him at all, and I've played closer to ~150 matches. But I would have definitely picked him up, at the very least to troll people. :lol:

[quote name='klimb22']I thought Target did the same thing. At least they did when I bought a netbook last summer. $250 w/ $50 GC. Netbook price reduced to $200 and $50 for the GC. Paid tax on $200.

Then again...I don't remember it being that way when they were giving $10 GCs with the Kinect games or whatever the deal was.[/QUOTE]

Yes, Target does charge tax on the net value of the sale. I noticed that because I had calculated what the tax would be in my head when I was going to purchase it, but it was lower so I checked the receipt and my receipt read 34.99 as the value the tax was calculated for.

Dampierre is quite the excellent troll, and i love him as main. The only problem is that some of his moves have completely random chances of doing other things, which unless you can think fast, can easily get half your life bar taken off.

[quote name='shurija']I just came back from my local Best Buy and got denied. The employees were all looking at me like I'm crazy..[/QUOTE]

sounds like my Best Buy. Did you PM at the gaming department and also mentioned the memo?

Yeah I told them about it and they just straight up said that they don't PM any kind of GC deal. Guess I should hit my other ones next week.

They couldnt find the memo at my store, but they pulled up the target ad online and matched their deal by taking $20 off the game.

Luckily, I got this from Redbox last night and did everything I wanted to do before I went to bed. So four hours in was all I needed. I really wanted to like it but I'm not any good at any fighting game (as much as I love to play them) so the severe lack of any single player stuff to do was a major disappointment.

If all you need from a fighting game is to play with others online, then I guess this is your thing. But I'm glad I decided to wait on buying because I would have felt like I wasted money. I just like making characters and fighting but you don't get any experience points for fighting your own created battles. And you need to level up to get more parts for the character creator so you're stuck just doing the same arcade mode that has nothing character specific, just random battles. And the story mode is the biggest waste since you can only use three different characters and one of them is only used twice out the twenty battles.

4 hours? You do realize you have to give it time to rank up and start unlocking stuff???. I don't know why people slam the game when they don't have any time put into it. I have about 11 hours and have unlocked a lot of stuff for customization. For me, the MP is what I love and it's what makes the game a blast to play.

[quote name='krashhole']4 hours? You do realize you have to give it time to rank up and start unlocking stuff???. I don't know why people slam the game when they don't have any time put into it. I have about 11 hours and have unlocked a lot of stuff for customization. For me, the MP is what I love and it's what makes the game a blast to play.[/QUOTE]

This, im Player Level 34 and about 30 or so hours in and i still am unlocking new clothes. Apparently the last set you unlock is Level 52 i believe. After that its just Stickers and other things of that sort

[quote name='krashhole']4 hours? You do realize you have to give it time to rank up and start unlocking stuff???. I don't know why people slam the game when they don't have any time put into it. I have about 11 hours and have unlocked a lot of stuff for customization. For me, the MP is what I love and it's what makes the game a blast to play.[/QUOTE]

Like I said, I'm not very good and just enjoy playing against the computer and friends in local. But the single player really limits your ability on that. I just want more creation options and to get that, I have to play online or just do arcade over and over. I said if you just like playing online, then this game is for you. But I do not. Getting the creation parts is not fun for me because the part of the game I enjoy doing does not level you up to get more creation parts. Glad you're enjoying it though.

Last edited by a moderator:
9syrnb.jpg

Uploaded my receipt so others might be able to show proof.

bread's done
Back