PRE-ORDER: Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning Guide [Hardcover] $26.99 Future Press 600 pg

Asgardian

CAGiversary!
Feedback
13 (100%)
Edit:
[quote name='Earthbound_X']Found it at the Book Depository for about 6 bucks cheaper, plus free shipping.

http://www.bookdepository.com/Kingd...oning---the-Official-Guide-collectors-Edition

Wouldn't have looked it up if not for this topic though.

For some reason the Book Depository says it's only 500 pages, weird.[/QUOTE]

Found it in my GB, thought some of you might be interested, 600 page Hardcover Future Press Guide, I'm sold. Looking to be a decent game too!

FWIW, IGN video review.

Amazon link.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like it's only $21.18, at The Book Depository. That's with no tax and free shipping

You can update the post with that cheaper version if you want.

The Book Depository is a UK based site, but I ordered the Future Press guide from them for Dark Souls, and it's the same guide no matter what county.
I think I remember Future Press being based in Germany, and all their same language guides are the same.

[quote name='Earthbound_X']For some reason the Book Depository says it's only 500 pages, weird.[/QUOTE]

This worries me too, amazon.co.uk has it at 500 page too.

If anyone can find out if the UK and US versions are the same...

I believe futurepress (via facebook) said it will be at least 600 pages+ at release. Most likely the various sites (uk, book depository, etc) are not using the updated info yet. At one point, us amazon reported 400 pages while uk reported 500 pages.

Yeah on Amazon.com it used to say 400 pages and was $2 cheaper than it is now. I'll just keep that 24.99 order over the UK one though I think just so I get it sooner.

i got it locked in at amazon for the 24.99 price for 2 copies. im keeping that only cause the book depository you get charged foreign currency fees from them. also my dark souls guide took 3 weeks to get and i plan on playing this game right away.

Tempted to get this to see what sort of new ideas it gives me
21.gif

[quote name='gauu']i got it locked in at amazon for the 24.99 price for 2 copies. im keeping that only cause the book depository you get charged foreign currency fees from them. also my dark souls guide took 3 weeks to get and i plan on playing this game right away.[/QUOTE]

Wow, you mean this thing was selling for $12.50 at amazon before? Next time, please post a thread so we could all get in on such great deal!

Also, I changed my order to depository, since they are charging US$, I hope there is no foreign currency fees.

heh... book suppository.

I'm down for this, wish it came out with (or before) the game though since Ken Rolston is signing stuff at the gamestop down the street this monday. Seriously, who knew that shitty ol' Northern Baltimore was such a gaming mecca?

It's the same price at Gamestop and if you buy it with the game, you get either 10 or 20% off the price depending on if you're a PUR member or not.

Just got an email from Amazon saying my preorder for the guide was delayed due to change of release date (Feb 7 to Feb 21st now). Not big deal since their adding 200 more pages.

I will never buy a future press book again. The dark souls one they did had to be the worst guide book written if not the worst book written in history. Don't support them!

[quote name='Poor2More']Just got an email from Amazon saying my preorder for the guide was delayed due to change of release date (Feb 7 to Feb 21st now). Not big deal since their adding 200 more pages.[/QUOTE]

So the game is delayed or the guide?

[quote name='SeanTM22']So the game is delayed or the guide?[/QUOTE]
The guide since they're adding to it apparently. I probably won't be getting it now since I really won't want/need it by February 21st when I'm getting the game on the 7th. I wonder who's fuck up that was.

[quote name='remag']I will never buy a future press book again. The dark souls one they did had to be the worst guide book written if not the worst book written in history. Don't support them![/QUOTE]

The fact that you say it could be the worst book written in history makes it really had to take your comment seriously.

I've heard nothing but great things about Future Press, guess you're in the minority.

I have that Dark Souls guide, and while I haven't really checked it out yet, it looks to be a really well put together guide. Care to comment more on why it's so bad?
I think most of us can agree the worst player's guide ever made was the guide for Final Fantasy IX. That's why I buy a paper guide, to be told to look online for most things, what a pile of crap that guide was.

[quote name='Earthbound_X']The fact that you say it could be the worst book written in history makes it really had to take your comment seriously.

I've heard nothing but great things about Future Press, guess you're in the minority.

I have that Dark Souls guide, and while I haven't really checked it out yet, it looks to be a really well put together guide. Care to comment more on why it's so bad?
I think most of us can agree the worst player's guide ever made was the guide for Final Fantasy IX. That's why I buy a paper guide, to be told to look online for most things, what a pile of crap that guide was.[/QUOTE]

I agree with you. It looks like the worst guides would have to be Final Fantasy IX and Disgaea 4.

http://www.amazon.com/Disgaea-Offic...=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1328427901&sr=1-1

Future Press makes some of the best guides. I know some of the information is different now with the patch 1.05 but it's still has some good information in it. The quality to Future Press guides is well worth the money. My only other favorite guide company is Piggyback.

To each their own but I will support Future Press until they stop making guides for games I'm interested in.

[quote name='Bumslie']I agree with you. It looks like the worst guides would have to be Final Fantasy IX and Disgaea 4.

http://www.amazon.com/Disgaea-Offic...=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1328427901&sr=1-1

Future Press makes some of the best guides. I know some of the information is different now with the patch 1.05 but it's still has some good information in it. The quality to Future Press guides is well worth the money. My only other favorite guide company is Piggyback.

To each their own but I will support Future Press until they stop making guides for games I'm interested in.[/QUOTE]

eh I wouldn't say the Digaea 4 guide has anything on the POS the FFIX guide is now

at the time of release it wasn't bad but since Square didn't keep PlayOnline support up the guide is now pretty much useless

just too bad Double Jump went out of business :whistle2:( they would have made an awesome Disgaea 4 guide

[quote name='buckythekat']eh I wouldn't say the Digaea 4 guide has anything on the POS the FFIX guide is now

at the time of release it wasn't bad but since Square didn't keep PlayOnline support up the guide is now pretty much useless

just too bad Double Jump went out of business :whistle2:( they would have made an awesome Disgaea 4 guide[/QUOTE]

Are you guys talking about FF IX or FF XI? Cause I know the FF XI guides were updated by year for a little bit, IE 2003, 2004, etc.

It's the Final Fantasy 9 guide we're talking about. It's the guide where Square was really trying to push PlayOnline on everyone. So instead of the tangible guide actually giving you info, it told you to go to the PlayOnline website, to get the info you bought the damn book for!

It was simply horrible.

[quote name='MSUHitman']It's the same price at Gamestop and if you buy it with the game, you get either 10 or 20% off the price depending on if you're a PUR member or not.[/QUOTE]
PUR benefits page says only 10% ... am I missing some other coupon or offer code?

[quote name='Earthbound_X']It's the Final Fantasy 9 guide we're talking about. It's the guide where Square was really trying to push PlayOnline on everyone. So instead of the tangible guide actually giving you info, it told you to go to the PlayOnline website, to get the info you bought the damn book for!

It was simply horrible.[/QUOTE]

Wow, I had no idea FFIX guide was this crappy! A few years back I came across a local store that had a ton of this for sale ($15 each), I brought a couple and ended up selling them for $50 a piece on amazon, so I went back and brought a copule more... still have them somewhere in the house...

[quote name='Cornelius']PUR benefits page says only 10% ... am I missing some other coupon or offer code?[/QUOTE]You get 10% off just for being a PUR member, and another 10% when you buy the game with the guide. I believe it's a 20% discount, not 19% (i.e. 10% off then 10% off that), but I could be wrong.

[quote name='radioactivez0r']Now I have to figure out if I want to use my Best Buy half off strat guide coupon on this or Batman....[/QUOTE]

Where did you get that coupon from?

[quote name='Asgardian']Wow, I had no idea FFIX guide was this crappy! A few years back I came across a local store that had a ton of this for sale ($15 each), I brought a couple and ended up selling them for $50 a piece on amazon, so I went back and brought a copule more... still have them somewhere in the house...[/QUOTE]

I found a copy of it in the basement of my apartment when I moved in. Never even looked at it but didnt remember the playonline stuff on the cover either though. Just thought PO was crap service for billing and accounts for FFXI :(

[quote name='Vap']Where did you get that coupon from?[/QUOTE]
It was a mailer with some coupons for people who signed up for Gamer's Club Unlocked.

Some people got it in like Oct/Nov and they expired on 12/31/11 (if I remember right) and then another wave was sent out in Dec/Jan and I believe they expire in March.

[quote name='musicjunkie']It was a mailer with some coupons for people who signed up for Gamer's Club Unlocked.

Some people got it in like Oct/Nov and they expired on 12/31/11 (if I remember right) and then another wave was sent out in Dec/Jan and I believe they expire in March.[/QUOTE]Actually, since the SKUs on the coupons in both waves are exactly the same, the ones that say they expire on 12/31/11 actually expire in March. Someone was able to use a coupon from the first wave after its supposed expiration date, so if you still have a coupon from back then, you could still use it now.

[quote name='Vigilante']Actually, since the SKUs on the coupons in both waves are exactly the same, the ones that say they expire on 12/31/11 actually expire in March. Someone was able to use a coupon from the first wave after its supposed expiration date, so if you still have a coupon from back then, you could still use it now.[/QUOTE]

cool, I'll have to look and see if I still have my coupon

[quote name='Earthbound_X']The fact that you say it could be the worst book written in history makes it really had to take your comment seriously.

I think most of us can agree the worst player's guide ever made was the guide for Final Fantasy IX. That's why I buy a paper guide, to be told to look online for most things, what a pile of crap that guide was.[/QUOTE]

I have really tried hard to put the dark souls guide to use but without success. I've come across somewhat bad guides in the past before and yes I owned FF9 guide. That guide is no where near as bad as dark souls one. Let me explain why it is the worst guide ever if not the worst book.

First, the enemy data is put in the beginning of the book, which is normal. What isn't fine is the fact that they put the damn BOSS GUIDE in the front of the book as well. So you have to constantly flip back and forth every 3-4 pages. On top of that, a good amount of the information is wrong. They did not thorougly test any of the things they suggested. On the Stray Demon fight they suggested you go in with high fire resist and a fire resist shield to eat through the room-wide smash area damage. I found that fire resist did nothing and people online also said the damage isn't fire. That's just one instance of wrong information. Their boss guide is absolutely trash. I had to youtube every fight that I got stuck on because the guide's boss strategy is trash.

I can go on and on about the hand drawn maps that they include for each section. But I would rather you try to follow along with their maps to actually experience the sensation of fustration.

Most of the "side-quests" including covenants, etc. are included in the back of the book instead of during the walk through. They should at least mention during the walkthrough to refer to page yada yada to complete this side quest before you can't anymore.

The in game pictures they took offer absolutely no help.

I'm sure I could point out many other fails but I stopped opening it after halfway through the walkthrough. I didnt' even touch the second half.

Oh, and they really don't offer much insight into character builds or even weapon upgrades.

I really think they put this POS guide together in 2 weeks.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Vigilante']Actually, since the SKUs on the coupons in both waves are exactly the same, the ones that say they expire on 12/31/11 actually expire in March. Someone was able to use a coupon from the first wave after its supposed expiration date, so if you still have a coupon from back then, you could still use it now.[/QUOTE]
Pretty sure I threw them away a week or so ago when I noticed the exp date. Damn.

Just an FYI for those who have a guide pre-ordered: it has been delayed (you might have received notice from Amazon if you had it pre-ordered there). Their Facebook states:

"First of all, we'd like to apologize to people who are disappointed that the guide is late. Please believe us, we're working night and day to create a guide that has the same high quality standards as any other Future Press guide. We have increased the page count from initially 400 to now 600 pages to make justice to the massive content that the game delivers. We could have easily deleted entire chapters just to be in time (and the guide would have still been decent), but that's not what we do.

The guide will be out in the second half of February, and we certainly hope that it's well worth the wait for you guys. We really appreciate everyone’s patience."

[quote name='WingsDJY']Is that the FuturePress hardcover guide? The details say it's Brady Publishing. Also, the release date isn't until February 28th. Weird.[/QUOTE]

FuturePress is using Brady as the distributor in NA, but the guide is still being published / created by FuturePress. It's on their Facebook page in one of their "reply" comments.

[quote name='remag']I have really tried hard to put the dark souls guide to use but without success. I've come across somewhat bad guides in the past before and yes I owned FF9 guide. That guide is no where near as bad as dark souls one. Let me explain why it is the worst guide ever if not the worst book.

First, the enemy data is put in the beginning of the book, which is normal. What isn't fine is the fact that they put the damn BOSS GUIDE in the front of the book as well. So you have to constantly flip back and forth every 3-4 pages. On top of that, a good amount of the information is wrong. They did not thorougly test any of the things they suggested. On the Stray Demon fight they suggested you go in with high fire resist and a fire resist shield to eat through the room-wide smash area damage. I found that fire resist did nothing and people online also said the damage isn't fire. That's just one instance of wrong information. Their boss guide is absolutely trash. I had to youtube every fight that I got stuck on because the guide's boss strategy is trash.

I can go on and on about the hand drawn maps that they include for each section. But I would rather you try to follow along with their maps to actually experience the sensation of fustration.

Most of the "side-quests" including covenants, etc. are included in the back of the book instead of during the walk through. They should at least mention during the walkthrough to refer to page yada yada to complete this side quest before you can't anymore.

The in game pictures they took offer absolutely no help.

I'm sure I could point out many other fails but I stopped opening it after halfway through the walkthrough. I didnt' even touch the second half.

Oh, and they really don't offer much insight into character builds or even weapon upgrades.

I really think they put this POS guide together in 2 weeks.[/QUOTE]

Guess I'll find out when I get Dark Souls, and try to use it with the guide. Though the guide does seem to have pretty much perfect reviews on Amazon. "Shrug"

[quote name='remag']I will never buy a future press book again. The dark souls one they did had to be the worst guide book written if not the worst book written in history. Don't support them![/QUOTE]

Could not disagree more.

I

Yeah I agree saying don't support Future Press overall is a bit harsh. It's the person who wrong the dark souls guide is that one that is bad.

bread's done
Back