Pre-Order Starhawk and get free upgrade to Limited Edition @ Gamestop

chicagocubsfan

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
Starting today, anyone who pre-orders Starhawk at GameStop will automatically upgrade to the Limited Edition version of the game. This version comes with over $20 worth of bonus content, including two DLC packs that contain new maps and multiplayer skins, plus sweet extras like the soundtrack and a PSN download of original Warhawk from PSone. We are confident Starhawk will be one of the best PS3 experiences you’ve ever had, so we hope this gives you even more reason to join the fun day one.
Starhawk Limited Edition Contents
Maw of Despair Outcast Pack: Includes the Maw of Despair Co-op Map and Shade Warrior MP Skin
This challenging co-op mission takes place deep beneath the planet’s surface in a particularly dangerous Rift mine. The Maw of Despair is home to the oldest Outcast tribe, the Shade Warriors. The heart of each Shade Warrior blazes with pure Rift energy, granting them extra toughness and combat ability. The firefights you’ll encounter in the Maw of Despair co-op mission will push your shooting skills to the edge!
Echo Scrapyard Rifter Pack: Includes the Scrapyard Homeworld and Huxley Ardin MP Skin
An exclusive player Homeworld, the Echo Scrapyard features Huxley’s mechanics shop and junkyard — known throughout the Frontier as the best place in the Frontier for Rifters to get spare parts for their Razorbacks and Sidewinders. And in the canyon basin below, Huxley’s shop is a network of roads and trails for players to hone their own Razorback 4×4 and Sidewinder Jetbike driving skills.
Starhawk Concept Art PS3 Theme: Decorate your PS3 with the amazing concept art that help bring the Starhawk Universe to life. Only available through the Starhawk Limited Edition.
Copy of the Original Warhawk (PSone): Download and play the title that started it all!
Official Starhawk Soundtrack: Christopher Lennertz’s sweeping original score available as a PSN download.
http://www.gamestop.com/ps3/games/starhawk/91062

Is this only at gamestop?

I see Twisted Metal has a "limited edition" too which you can get at different retailers. I know Battlefield 3 and BFBC2 did the same sort of thing. Just wasn't limited to one place.

>>>NVM playstation site says "exclusively" at gamestop. :)

[quote name='I OU a Beatn']That's a lot of stuff for a free upgrade. I guess I'll have to take a trip to GS here sometime this week.[/QUOTE]

My cheap ass cynicism is going off like klaxons. None of this stuff is physical, its all Download stuff that they either already had or added on. I'd say even the map packs were probably taken out to use as DLC.

So in essence its just another thing Sony is using (along with a guaranteed online pass requirement) to destroy used sales of this game.

I liked Warhawk. I paid $40 for it, with a headset.
I already have the original Warhawk in long-box form.
I really want to buy Starhawk, but shenanigans like this really piss me off.

[quote name='Booj']My cheap ass cynicism is going off like klaxons. None of this stuff is physical, its all Download stuff that they either already had or added on. I'd say even the map packs were probably taken out to use as DLC.

So in essence its just another thing Sony is using (along with a guaranteed online pass requirement) to destroy used sales of this game.

I really want to buy Starhawk, but shenanigans like this really piss me off.[/QUOTE]

Going to have to agree, this isn't a bunch of "free" stuff that you are getting, this is just a "free" upgrade to the actual full game that is already made.

I might get this if newegg doesnt have its $48 preorder sale as much as I hate gamestop one new game purchase for the whole year from them isnt bad

[quote name='Booj']My cheap ass cynicism is going off like klaxons. None of this stuff is physical, its all Download stuff that they either already had or added on. I'd say even the map packs were probably taken out to use as DLC.

I really want to buy Starhawk, but shenanigans like this really piss me off.[/QUOTE]

I know right? If they were REALLY cool they would give us the maps for free and just post another large quarterly loss or something.

Yep, didn't see the map pack addition before I posted the first time. That just reeks of forcing people who don't buy the limited edition to fork over extra money for content that is already on the disc. It's not even the PS3 version of Warhawk, but rather the original that was on PSOne. I'll still get it but that really sucks for people who plan on buying it used.

[quote name='apollosrequiem']Is the community for Warhawk still even active?[/QUOTE]
They are giving away the warhawk for ps1 not ps3 version.

[quote name='iamsmart']I know right? If they were REALLY cool they would give us the maps for free and just post another large quarterly loss or something.[/QUOTE]

There's a whole list of cool things in the CE thread. Maybe they could try to add some value to the Limited edition instead of charging for every little damn thing that used to be included.

[quote name='I OU a Beatn']Yep, didn't see the map pack addition before I posted the first time. That just reeks of forcing people who don't buy the limited edition to fork over extra money for content that is already on the disc. It's not even the PS3 version of Warhawk, but rather the original that was on PSOne. I'll still get it but that really sucks for people who plan on buying it used.[/QUOTE]

fuck em, nobody cares about people who buy it used except people who buy it used.

"Waaah, I don't get the same things as the people who paid more money!". Ridiculous.

[quote name='croqoa']Going to have to agree, this isn't a bunch of "free" stuff that you are getting, this is just a "free" upgrade to the actual full game that is already made.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='gettinmoney662']fuck em, nobody cares about people who buy it used except people who buy it used.

"Waaah, I don't get the same things as the people who paid more money!". Ridiculous.[/QUOTE]

I'm shocked.. the industry trend has been to release a similar package as CE for $20 extra or to charge for an online pass and we have people whining about a developer rewarding people for buying day one with extras? You have got to be kidding me. Heaven forbid these guys try and have a good showing of week 1 sales (the benchmark of a games success) by offering FREE content for consumers who buy at MSRP. (1 month of free PS+, a PS1 game, etc)

I personally remember Santa Monica supporting this games predecessor for at least a year after release (adding support for DS3, trophies and Home integration) as well as adding some game modes for free via patching and addressing stat-padding exploits. This is absolutely a fan friendly franchise and I am all about supporting this developer with a GS pre-order to help ensure more of the same with this iteration of their franchise. Everyone whining can close the thread and go back to whichever annual CoD rip-off fest you're accustomed to with the other "me me me"s and racists that love to pay MSRP for marginal annual updates.

[quote name='QiG']I'm shocked.. the industry trend has been to release a similar package as CE for $20 extra or to charge for an online pass and we have people whining about a developer rewarding people for buying day one with extras? You have got to be kidding me. Heaven forbid these guys try and have a good showing of week 1 sales (the benchmark of a games success) by offering FREE content for consumers who buy at MSRP. (1 month of free PS+, a PS1 game, etc)

I personally remember Santa Monica supporting this games predecessor for at least a year after release (adding support for DS3, trophies and Home integration) as well as adding some game modes for free via patching and addressing stat-padding exploits. This is absolutely a fan friendly franchise and I am all about supporting this developer with a GS pre-order to help ensure more of the same with this iteration of their franchise. Everyone whining can close the thread and go back to whichever annual CoD rip-off fest you're accustomed to with the other "me me me"s and racists that love to pay MSRP for marginal annual updates.[/QUOTE]

For what it's worth, there is a large difference between a "limited edition" available at every retailer with bonuses for anyone that buys it new (think things like Darksiders 2 with the first dlc free, or Bulletstorm, etc) and a "limited edition" that is ONLY available at Gamestop. While it may simply be my opinion, the first of those is a fan friendly developer trying to reward people for buying day one. The second of those is not fan friendly, it is a company taking a chunk of money from Gamestop in exchange for removing part of their game and offering it as a Gamestop exclusive, which is the one company you will never find a day one monetary deal on (credit, lowered price, etc).

Trying to lead people to only purchase their games from Gamestop is the opposite of fan friendly.

[quote name='croqoa']For what it's worth, there is a large difference between a "limited edition" available at every retailer with bonuses for anyone that buys it new (think things like Darksiders 2 with the first dlc free, or Bulletstorm, etc) and a "limited edition" that is ONLY available at Gamestop. While it may simply be my opinion, the first of those is a fan friendly developer trying to reward people for buying day one. The second of those is not fan friendly, it is a company taking a chunk of money from Gamestop in exchange for removing part of their game and offering it as a Gamestop exclusive, which is the one company you will never find a day one monetary deal on (credit, lowered price, etc).

Trying to lead people to only purchase their games from Gamestop is the opposite of fan friendly.[/QUOTE]

I have no problem with retailer-exclusives. I'm sure there are at least some situations where dlc, etc only exist because some retailer wanted an exclusive. I'd rather those add-ons exist than not exist at all.

[quote name='Drclaw411']I have no problem with retailer-exclusives. I'm sure there are at least some situations where dlc, etc only exist because some retailer wanted an exclusive. I'd rather those add-ons exist than not exist at all.[/QUOTE]

Yeah and I'm not necessarily anti-Gamestop (or retail exclusive DLC either). I just find it odd praising a company for being so "fan friendly" in a situation like this. What about the "fans" of the game that pre-ordered it at Best Buy, Amazon, Walmart, or any of the other multitude of possibilities? This situation would best be considered "Gamestop friendly".

What if Witcher 2's enhanced edition was only available at Toysrus? Would that be "fan friendly"? I'd venture to say no. The fact that it is offered to everyone, even previous owners of the game on PC, at no extra charge...that is what actual fan friendly behavior looks like.

I get what you're saying, and trust me I agree for the most part, but I think your cynicism is clouding the overall picture. I can list developers that operate 100% as a business and that is where I was going with fan friendly. With Warkhawk the studio did a great job of keeping their product relevant as both as business entity AND an enjoyable experience for gamers.

If you could hop down from your high horse and realize that this isn't two companies conspiring to screw over consumers, you'd see that they're doing their shoppers a favor. What is Best Buy, Toys R Us, etc doing for their customers that 1) boosts sales B) benefits consumers? Nothing. This game will cost $60 at Gamestop and $60 at Toys R Us but comes with more content at GS... what's not fair? Cancel your pre-order at X retailer and shift to GS if you want to. Are you telling me that you hold the studio responsible for telling consumers where to shop? The cost of this content is entirely on GS but they're some evil pieces of crap? I just don't get it.

Look, the bottom line is that I hate corporate apologists and I hate DLC greed more than most (if I felt like looking up my previous postings on this board to support it, I could). But I don't smell anything fishy here except for why people are upset. You can pay a discount at some retailer and miss out on the content, you can pay MSRP at GS and get bonus stuff, or you can pay MSRP at other retailers and miss out on the content. It's not rocket science, decide what's more appealing and move on. If "principle" is so important to you, go to Target and pay $60 for less game. There's nothing unfair here, there's nothing saying you can't pre-order at GS..

I'll take it a step further and add that nothing included in this DLC bonus is even content that causes division among the fan base, it's a co-op map, a couple skins, soundtrack, ps1 game, ps+ for a month and a custom lobby overlay. It's not as if they're offering a map pack they'll charge other users for that kicks you out for not having it (ala KZ3). Like I said, I'll call a spade a spade but I just do not agree that there's anything upsetting here.

[quote name='Dtrain12']didnt preorder
think i can pickup a lmtd ed copy at gs tomorrow?[/QUOTE]

I just got back from gamestop, walked in and bought LE no pre-order.

I didn't pre-order. The Gamestop I visited today had 10 copies of the LE, it now has 9 or less.

In the store's signage for the Limited Edition it advertised one free month of Playstation Plus as well. I'm not planning to open mine or else I'd confirm or deny that.

Not really, have a look:

346voep.jpg

14ad7a1.jpg

Just FYI, they did the cool reversible cover art thing, but the flipside back cover is printed upside-down (in mine, anyway). Also, they've apparently failed to include the PS+ voucher and '$10 off headset' coupon (sounds like they're looking into it though).

Still way better than buying a non-LE somewhere else IMO, but just telling you as an FYI.

[quote name='darrenaw9']Would you guys pay 60+tax for the LE or 40 no tax for the standard version? Is the LE worth the extra 20 bucks?[/QUOTE]
Where are you getting the standard edition for $40?

The makers of this game announced today that all map packs will be free, so I just don't see the added value. However they are both 60 so to each their own.

[quote name='darrenaw9']Would you guys pay 60+tax for the LE or 40 no tax for the standard version? Is the LE worth the extra 20 bucks?[/QUOTE]
I had a gift card for walmart for $20 so I just went with the standard for $40 OOP. Since all the DLC will be free, I'd imagine the LE DLC to show up for everyone in the near future (at least the maps, dont care about the skins really).

[quote name='maxiell']In the store's signage for the Limited Edition it advertised one free month of Playstation Plus as well. I'm not planning to open mine or else I'd confirm or deny that.[/QUOTE]

I didn't receive the any extra time on my Playstation Plus so I emailed GameStop. I will let everyone know what they say.

Still trying to decide whether or not to get this. Doesnt appear like the LE is rare, every single gamestop here has it (And you can still buy it online).

The lack of hype and the way Warhawk ended out keep scaring me away though. (Plus, i HATE massive shooters where it just turns into the majority of both teams sniping, with 2 or 3 others trying to ninja through bushes to get into bases)

[quote name='KidInTheHall']I just picked mine up, I got the free 30 days on the receipt. It's a standard PSN code.[/QUOTE]

No code on either of my reciepts

[quote name='mykee98']I just got back from gamestop, walked in and bought LE no pre-order.[/QUOTE]
thanks

where is this available for 40???

[quote name='KidInTheHall']Hmmm, I only got the one receipt and a little past the middle heading down is the PS Plus code and then a survey section.[/QUOTE]

Same here and I didn't pre-order so it should print for everyone. Yet, on the Playstation blog for those that claim it wasn't included in the case... Morgan Haro on May 8th, 2012 at 4:02 pm said: This is being looked into now and the Starhawk team is aware. We’ll get you covered, stay tuned for details.

I didn't pre-order...there were still LE copies left, though, so I picked one up. No PS+ code on the receipt...LE voucher in case, but no $10-off headset coupon. And lulz @ the upside-down artwork.

[quote name='MellowSeth']hmm...i preordered as well and no ps plus in the game or on the receipt...how are we supposed to get it now? lulz...[/QUOTE]

Sue game stop? LOL JK

I was able to get the LE without preordering as well. From the way the cashier talked, they had a bunch of LEs for people that didn't preorder.

They had a bunch of LEs behind the counter when I was there this morning checking on my free month of Playstation Plus.

The manager tried to print out my code on a receipt. He was unsuccessful, so he asked me to come back tomorrow or give a call and I could get it over the phone. YMMV and we'll see if this actually happens tomorrow.

[quote name='I OU a Beatn']I was able to get the LE without preordering as well. From the way the cashier talked, they had a bunch of LEs for people that didn't preorder.[/QUOTE]
Every store is different. The one I stopped in this morning, to get my LE, only had two extra that weren't for pre-orders. I called a different one yesterday and they said they had five.

Either way, I got mine without a pre-order. Pretty sweet deal.

bread's done
Back