Calling all comic book fans!!! Thinking about forming group comic book lowball.

thecoryjihad

CAGiversary!
Feedback
44 (84%)
So it appears that CAG is the only forum that's worth a shit in the world of collecting and it is the ONLY one that I've found that has a system like our lowball system.

That being said, would anyone be interested in a comic book lowball? I've got roughly 6,000 comics, all Marvel from the Silver, Bronze, Copper and Modern Ages that I'm looking to liquidate. I've tried eBay, but it is a gigantic pain and I'm tired of getting screwed with their fees and lack of seller support.

To those of you that are currently bidding in my game lowball, you know that I'm raising money to construct a Lego room for my kids. Well, this would go to the same fund.

So.....any interest in buying some great comics? Is it worth getting a bunch together?

Leave me your feedback and let me know!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a stack to get rid of, too. If there's a group lowball coming, I may toss them in there. They would need an exception made as far as bid minimum/increments and shipping go, though, because I don't think anyone would bite under the traditional lowball rates.

I can't speak for everyone else, but I am always on the lookout for a deal on good comics to read (not really a collector), so a comic lowball could quite possibly be right up my alley

[quote name='Vegan']I have a stack to get rid of, too. If there's a group lowball coming, I may toss them in there. They would need an exception made as far as bid minimum/increments and shipping go, though, because I don't think anyone would bite under the traditional lowball rates.[/QUOTE]

Let's try and get a group lowball together and see how it works out.

Could make it comic related too. Figures and stuff. I've gotten rid of most of the books I didn't want to lug around anymore. Gaming and comics are just too spendy to try and keep up with both.

I too also have a batch of books to get rid of, but I also have a list of books that I'm looking for to add to my collection.

If you guys have books from the 90's (mostly Batman, Spider-man, X-men, and Superman), then I'm definitely interested.

I'd bid on a couple of comic books. I've never really read one, does anyone have a recommendation for a starter? Actually that's not quite true I do have WARRIOR after being shown the spoony review by a friend.

make sure you guys add strat guides too, I'm always on the hunt for guides I don't have since I collect them. Oh and TMNT comics and figures too if possible.

I think that if we did comic books it would have to be something like:

50 cent minimum bid, bid increments of 25 cents.
$3 shipping and handling for the first book, 25 cents for each additional book.
Bags and boards not guaranteed.

When you can get digital comics for a dollar an issue, I think we'd be hard pressed to get any biters with the standard $1 minimum/increment/shipping. Opinions?

Ok guys, if you make this happen I'll put some bids. I don't know much about comics but I'm pretty sure you guys have interesting stuff.

Okay it took me a while to find this image online because I did not know what issue this was and still can't tell the difference, but I at least found the cover image. If anyone know's what this is PLEASE respond with the details so I can look it up on ebay or something. Also if one of you happen to have it in MINT condition PLEASE pm me ASAP so I don't have to wait for a lowball to purchase it.

Unknown issue/comic- But I WANT IT!!
Xmenjimlee.jpg

Thanks!

[quote name='Setherial']Okay it took me a while to find this image online because I did not know what issue this was and still can't tell the difference, but I at least found the cover image. If anyone know's what this is PLEASE respond with the details so I can look it up on ebay or something. Also if one of you happen to have it in MINT condition PLEASE pm me ASAP so I don't have to wait for a lowball to purchase it.

Unknown issue/comic- But I WANT IT!!
Xmenjimlee.jpg

Thanks![/QUOTE]

This is X-Men (vol 2) #1 from the 1990's series. there were 4 or 5 covers that made the one poster, then one book with a foldout full panoramic cover of all of them together. It was drawn by Jim Lee and Scott Williams i believe and should be super cheap to find.

If it's quality, collectible comics (first appearances and the like) I'd be interested. If it's just a bunch of randoms probably not. If this does happen I would suggest putting anything like first issues, first appearances, and incentive/variant covers separate and put the randoms into lots of several comics each, then you can avoid the .10c and .20c bids AND unload more stuff.

[quote name='Freemason']This is X-Men (vol 2) #1 from the 1990's series. there were 4 or 5 covers that made the one poster, then one book with a foldout full panoramic cover of all of them together. It was drawn by Jim Lee and Scott Williams i believe and should be super cheap to find.[/QUOTE]

OMG thank you!!!! Now does anyone have this for sale? I'm looking to buy a copy :bouncy:

If there were a book only lowball, it wouldn't be an issue to change the bidding rates. They can begin anywhere you would as long as they do not exceed $1 to start. So, even $.10 and then $.10 increments thereafter would be acceptable.

There are only issues with it not being a lowball when people get into their "starting bids at 50% of the ebay value" mode or start getting crazy with the $5+ bid increments.

[quote name='dv8mad']If there were a book only lowball, it wouldn't be an issue to change the bidding rates. They can begin anywhere you would as long as they do not exceed $1 to start. So, even $.10 and then $.10 increments thereafter would be acceptable.

There are only issues with it not being a lowball when people get into their "starting bids at 50% of the ebay value" mode or start getting crazy with the $5+ bid increments.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't plan on deviating at all from the current CAG format, bidding increments aside. It's what makes this site so great and the only reason I asked to start it here is because I really enjoy the format and the people here.

Would the mods have any issue with this? I'd be looking for it to include books as well as all comic related swag; figures, posters, cards, etc.

Thinking about this some more, I think that "lots" might be better for consecutive issues, just to avoid the following example situation:

You have X-Men 400-410 for sale.
Bill bids on all of them.
Ted snipes Bill on only #406, for whatever reason.
The auction ends.
Where does that leave Bill?

Oh, btw, I just found a few Spider-man toys and whatnot. Walking Dead posters, too, if anyone is down with that.

Actually I'm looking for Comic Book Guy #5 which came out a year or two ago so seeing some Simpsons and Futurama comics would be nice.

If we do this, will manga be eligible?

I'd be okay with manga too. Pretty much anything comic related.

Manga
Graphic Novels
Action Figures
Collector Cards
Posters
Swag

I've got most of this shit, manga aside and I'd like to offload all of it.

[quote name='Cage017']Actually I'm looking for Comic Book Guy #5 which came out a year or two ago so seeing some Simpsons and Futurama comics would be nice.

If we do this, will manga be eligible?[/QUOTE]

Sorry dude I only got Simpsons and Bart. Even then I gotta find them cause they are locked up in a case under a bed

Well I do have Simpsons #1 sitting on my shelf, but I won't sell that for years.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Vegan']I think that if we did comic books it would have to be something like:

50 cent minimum bid, bid increments of 25 cents.
$3 shipping and handling for the first book, 25 cents for each additional book.
Bags and boards not guaranteed.

When you can get digital comics for a dollar an issue, I think we'd be hard pressed to get any biters with the standard $1 minimum/increment/shipping. Opinions?[/QUOTE]

I like your setup except for "25 cents for each additional book" when it comes to shipping. Many comics are light and wouldn't affect the flat rate so I think it would be better to either decrease the additional book cost (10 cents perhaps?) or merely weigh everything together at the post office and go with that rate.

Regarding bags and boards: As long as at least one bag and/or some kind of board is used to protect the books from being damaged while shipped, I'm fine with your proposal.

[quote name='sevenfold']If it's quality, collectible comics (first appearances and the like) I'd be interested. If it's just a bunch of randoms probably not. If this does happen I would suggest putting anything like first issues, first appearances, and incentive/variant covers separate and put the randoms into lots of several comics each, then you can avoid the .10c and .20c bids AND unload more stuff.[/QUOTE]

I like that, but this sounds tricky. One person's idea of a collectible could be another person's random.

[quote name='The Lord of Awesome']Sorry dude I only got Simpsons and Bart. Even then I gotta find them cause they are locked up in a case under a bed

Well I do have Simpsons #1 sitting on my shelf, but I won't sell that for years.[/QUOTE]

No problem. That one book comes to mind and only lately have I been reading Bongo Simpsons/Futurama comics. I particularly like issues with stories written by Ian Boothby so I would be more likely to bid on those.

Seems like there aren't many lowballs going on right now so this would be a good time to start one. Thecoryjihad, did you have a time frame for when you wanted the Lego room to be completed?

I found more. :D But they need to be sorted through, to figure out which ones are staying and which ones are going.

Moving day is Monday, so there's a lot of stuff in boxes over here. I hope I don't miss it!

I've been wanting to unload some comics for a long time, but I doubt I have anything desirable. I'll have to go through them. My main concern is with rating the physical condition of each book. My idea of NM might be someone else's VF.

[quote name='ZombieToast']I've been wanting to unload some comics for a long time, but I doubt I have anything desirable. I'll have to go through them. My main concern is with rating the physical condition of each book. My idea of NM might be someone else's VF.[/QUOTE]

then I would advise people to use a standard grading guide for everyone to use. I used the Overstreet Price Guide when i sold my Silver Keys and Silver age marvel Runs back in the day. That way it was upfront about how it was graded, whos standards I used, and everyone had to agree that was how condition was determined. That way there are no questions.

I miss my collection and with my game collecting down to nil, i simply collect Mass Effect stuff... so might have to delve back into some comics.

[quote name='Cage017']I like your setup except for "25 cents for each additional book" when it comes to shipping. Many comics are light and wouldn't affect the flat rate so I think it would be better to either decrease the additional book cost (10 cents perhaps?) or merely weigh everything together at the post office and go with that rate.

Regarding bags and boards: As long as at least one bag and/or some kind of board is used to protect the books from being damaged while shipped, I'm fine with your proposal.

I like that, but this sounds tricky. One person's idea of a collectible could be another person's random.

No problem. That one book comes to mind and only lately have I been reading Bongo Simpsons/Futurama comics. I particularly like issues with stories written by Ian Boothby so I would be more likely to bid on those.

Seems like there aren't many lowballs going on right now so this would be a good time to start one. Thecoryjihad, did you have a time frame for when you wanted the Lego room to be completed?[/QUOTE]

I've been working on the Lego room for weeks since my other Lowball started.

Ideally, I'd like to start this in two or three weeks, but I have NO idea how to get a group lowball going. I need some guidance there or if anyone else has any experience with it and wants to take the reins, I'd be more than happy to pass it on!

I've got a quite a few tpbs I've wanted to get rid of. first 4 Walking Dead, Y the Last Man series, some other stuff too. I would be interested in posting some stuff I think.

I'd actually like to pick up quite a few comics, so I fully approve of this.

I like TPBs, just out of ease, but I'd bid on most everything.

[quote name='PapaJoeBear']I've got a quite a few tpbs I've wanted to get rid of. first 4 Walking Dead, Y the Last Man series, some other stuff too. I would be interested in posting some stuff I think.[/QUOTE]

I have a bunch of comics that I wouldn't mind selling. It's a mixture of Marvel, DC, and Image from the 70's through 90's. And there's an old Action Comics featuring Superman, although I can't find a date because the cover is missing.

[quote name='Setherial']OMG thank you!!!! Now does anyone have this for sale? I'm looking to buy a copy :bouncy:[/QUOTE]
I think I may have that set. I bought them from a CAG a couple years back. They weren't in collectors condition but I mainly wanted them just to have that nice layout. They are currently sitting in the closet.

bread's done
Back