(Dead) Today Only: 55% Off Blu-ray SteelBooks (Amazon.Ca)

Great deal, though I wish they had a better selection. All the movies I would have picked up aren't included (V for Vendetta, Wizard of Oz, Batman begins)

Man I totally would have been down if shipping wasn't 10 bucks for one movie, I don't even really consider Canada a different country. I mean it's right there.

If you buy more I think think it's only $2 more for shipping. So you're better off buying more than one movie.

M

Yeah it's definitely better to buy multiples if you're going to do this deal. Three steelbooks for example comes out to about $18.60 each shipped VS getting one at $25 shipped.

Anyone know if you can use US Amazon trade-in credit on the Canadian store or if it's a separate account? I've never bought from any of them except for the UK.

[quote name='JJSP']Anyone know if you can use US Amazon trade-in credit on the Canadian store or if it's a separate account? I've never bought from any of them except for the UK.[/QUOTE]Nope. Only for Amazon.com, not for .ca, .co.uk, .jp, .de, etc.

[quote name='JJSP']Anyone know if you can use US Amazon trade-in credit on the Canadian store or if it's a separate account? I've never bought from any of them except for the UK.[/QUOTE]

You can log into the foreign Amazon sites with your US account (and payment information carries over) BUT it will not apply US Amazon gift cards to foreign Amazon sites.

Was hoping for I Am Legend, The Departed, Dark Knight, Matrix, V for Vendetta or Blade Runner.. oh well.

I'm tempted by Shaun of the Dead. I already own both KBv1&2. Sin City has a better slipcover than that steelbook in Canada.

Is there ANY difference between the regular US version and this steelbook version, other than the case? Fror example, I have Pan's Labyrinth on Blu-Ray, US versionl. The steelbook version looks pretty sweet. But is there ANY differnce? Is it the same exact disc, just a different case?

[quote name='IRHari']Is there ANY difference between the regular US version and this steelbook version, other than the case? Fror example, I have Pan's Labyrinth on Blu-Ray, US versionl. The steelbook version looks pretty sweet. But is there ANY differnce? Is it the same exact disc, just a different case?[/QUOTE]

I believe it's the same disc

From Dusk Til Dawn has all the special features from the Miramax 2 DVD set unlike the non-steelbook counterpart. The PQ still isn't great but it's the best version of it out there.

I really love that Shaun of the Dead steelbook, but I just cannot justify the cost with $10 shipping to the US.

No Free Shipping to the US even if your order is over $25. Added a second title to get over the $25 limit and shipping was still $12. At the very least, it seems if you add more titles, the shipping only goes up a bit. Might be worth it if there's a bunch of stuff you want.

Last edited by a moderator:
Would my Amazon Prime free shipping work on this? I live in the US.

edit:

Damnit I'm gonna kick my ass I went through with it for Shaun of the Dead and my favorite movie of the last decade The Wrestler.

Not only does your US prime not work, but it's international shipping. Which, as was stated before, came out to $12US for 2 for me. Couldn't pull the trigger.

I miss the old days of Amazon.ca when there was a strong dollar and deals like this would be awesome even with higher shipping. sigh

People are pretty hilarious in this thread. Even with shipping this is still a bargain for these. You guys obviously don't collect steelbooks at all because even if these were sold here they still wouldn't be as cheap as this. People who collect these pay way more for them.

[quote name='ssjmichael']People are pretty hilarious in this thread. Even with shipping this is still a bargain for these. You guys obviously don't collect steelbooks at all because even if these were sold here they still wouldn't be as cheap as this. People who collect these pay way more for them.[/QUOTE]
Unless it was the Scarface steelbook. I personally think these matte steelbooks are pieces of shit.

[quote name='ssjmichael']People are pretty hilarious in this thread. Even with shipping this is still a bargain for these. You guys obviously don't collect steelbooks at all because even if these were sold here they still wouldn't be as cheap as this. People who collect these pay way more for them.[/QUOTE]

Basically the blu ray master here, so listen to him

Wasn't going to get in on this as I was afraid of the shipping, but decided to toss a few in the cart just to see what it would be.
Only $17 shipping to Japan for 5 steelbooks! Couldn't pass it up.

[quote name='Stele']Unless it was the Scarface steelbook. I personally think these matte steelbooks are pieces of shit.[/QUOTE]

I knew someone would mention the Scarface blu. That's the only way that Scarface was released here and it was no doubt mass produced. I'd say something like that is an exception to steelbook prices, you won't find too many Blu-ray steelbooks for under $20 everyday, I'm sure of that. If there were I'd have triple the amount I have now, lol.

I admit I don't buy steelbooks often but paying double for a case screws with my logic sensors.
$10 for the disc....$10 for a steel case.
Derp?

Now that Scarface looks like a deal right now.
A movie like Kill Bill Vol 2 which I can get for under $9 and spending $20 is a bit nutty.

It's a case, dude.

I think "special" packaging is only worth it if it's a relatively "special" movie or game. Most of us here would be better off without 90% of the packaged media we buy and collecting steelbooks at inflated prices for the sake of it is just one more step closer towards appearing on Hoarders.

[quote name='Busyman']I admit I don't buy steelbooks often but paying double for a case screws with my logic sensors.
$10 for the disc....$10 for a steel case.
Derp?

Now that Scarface looks like a deal right now.
A movie like Kill Bill Vol 2 which I can get for under $9 and spending $20 is a bit nutty.

It's a case, dude.[/QUOTE]

I don't collect many steelbooks to be honest, at least compared to some here and at blu-ray.com, but it's like any collectible. People don't buy collectibles because they're a good monetary value. People buy them because they see their own intrinsic value in them. It's something that makes them happy. Some buy it because they feel they'll increase in value, and many of them do. I mostly only buy steelbooks where I either really dig the artwork, or I really love the film. If there's a combination of both those things, and it's under $30, then I see that as a good value, even if one in a plastic case cost half that.

So yeah, I can see people who aren't into collecting thinking these are terrible deals, but really these clearly aren't for those types of people. People who collect Steelbooks would no doubt think this is a great value. If they expanded their selection I would have bought a few, but I'm not too crazy about the artwork of the ones included (except maybe KB2) and I own some of the movies in standard editions already. I'm getting more into Blu-ray books/digibooks now anyway, they're at least priced more reasonably and still provide a nice sense of being a collectible niche item.

[quote name='Stele']I think "special" packaging is only worth it if it's a relatively "special" movie or game. Most of us here would be better off without 90% of the packaged media we buy and collecting steelbooks at inflated prices for the sake of it is just one more step closer towards appearing on Hoarders.[/QUOTE]

Ha right.
I can't imagine the mind-boggling amount of money I'd spend EXTRA for cases with all the movies and games I buy.

I still look forward to steelbook deals....but real deals. A steelbook "normally" $40 dropped 10 bucks is not a deal. The price was too high to begin with for a case.

The worst part of it is....we've most likely seen the movie already and many times have it on DVD too. SMH.

[quote name='ssjmichael']I don't collect many steelbooks to be honest, at least compared to some here and at blu-ray.com, but it's like any collectible. People don't buy collectibles because they're a good monetary value. People buy them because they see their own intrinsic value in them. It's something that makes them happy. Some buy it because they feel they'll increase in value, and many of them do. I mostly only buy steelbooks where I either really dig the artwork, or I really love the film. If there's a combination of both those things, and it's under $30, then I see that as a good value, even if one in a plastic case cost half that.

So yeah, I can see people who aren't into collecting thinking these are terrible deals, but really these clearly aren't for those types of people. People who collect Steelbooks would no doubt think this is a great value. If they expanded their selection I would have bought a few, but I'm not too crazy about the artwork of the ones included (except maybe KB2) and I own some of the movies in standard editions already.[/QUOTE]

Yeah that steelbook artwork is quite decent.

How long have you been collecting those cases?

I must agree too that if you have the extra money for that type of stuff, too each his own. I was thrown back at is considered a deal on this forum for cases. I thought it was a little out of place but it obviously has a following.

[quote name='Busyman']Yeah that steelbook artwork is quite decent.

How long have you been collecting those cases?[/QUOTE]

Probably only 3 years or so. I'm really pretty selective to be honest. I have more Disney/Pixar steelbooks than anything because I really dig the colorful artwork on them, and for the most part are really good movies. They seem to hold up in value pretty well too.

[quote name='ssjmichael']Probably only 3 years or so. I'm really pretty selective to be honest. I have more Disney/Pixar steelbooks than anything because I really dig the colorful artwork on them, and for the most part are really good movies. They seem to hold up in value pretty well too.[/QUOTE]
Yeah Disney stands the test of time.

I really hope Blu-Ray is it for quite sometime.

No more do-overs.

How much do the Disney steelbooks run? I know the Blu-Rays aren't cheap to begin with. I'd love to have those timeless ones in steel.

Those and The Godfather....but even there, I got each GF Blu for $10. I can't imagine the steelbook cost.

[quote name='Busyman']Yeah Disney stands the test of time.

I really hope Blu-Ray is it for quite sometime.

No more do-overs.

How much do the Disney steelbooks run? I know the Blu-Rays aren't cheap to begin with. I'd love to have those timeless ones in steel.

Those and The Godfather....but even there, I got each GF Blu for $10. I can't imagine the steelbook cost.[/QUOTE]

I got them a few years ago when Best Buy released like 9 (or maybe 11) at the same time. I believe they were like $30 each, but they also had a promo where if you spent like $150 you got a $25 gift card back (or something like that, might have been more) so I ended up buying some at one store and then using the gift card from there to buy more at another and getting another gc. I then heard about people getting successful price matches to Walmart who had the standard blus at $20 and so I tried it and was successful with the ones I bought even though there's no Walmart in nyc lol. In the end with the gc's factored in I probably only paid about $15-20 or so for each of them.

Best Buy also offers some of their disney/pixar Steelbooks/ironpacks/metalpacks (whateverr) as pre-order bonuses. That's how I got my Up and Lion King ones. In those cases you could basically just pay $7.50 for the case, and ultimately you could get refunded for that deposit if you decide you don't want to buy the movie from BB anymore.

bread's done
Back