20X SDM points- March/24 Vita/3DS

I've never bought any electronics from SDM before.

So does the 20X points work for game systems?
Also, How many points would you receive (dollar value) and are there any restrictions to use the points?

According to this calculator

http://www1.shoppersdrugmart.ca/en/Shoppers-Optimum/Points-Calculator.aspx#

You should get 50,000 points with 20x on a $250 purchase. This equates to a reward of $85.

So, you could get an 8GB card and a game of your choice free (unless you buy a $40+ game in which you would pay a bit extra).

As long as my SDM has the Vita in stock on Saturday I think this is the way I will go. Seems to be the best deal for early adopters so far. I might even stock up on some needed toiletries to get even more bang for my buck ;)

[quote name='strife18']According to this calculator

http://www1.shoppersdrugmart.ca/en/Shoppers-Optimum/Points-Calculator.aspx#

You should get 50,000 points with 20x on a $250 purchase. This equates to a reward of $85.

So, you could get an 8GB card and a game of your choice free (unless you buy a $40+ game in which you would pay a bit extra).

As long as my SDM has the Vita in stock on Saturday I think this is the way I will go. Seems to be the best deal for early adopters so far. I might even stock up on some needed toiletries to get even more bang for my buck ;)[/QUOTE]

Or a $100 reward during bonus redemption.

You need more points and wait for the really special redemption that has occurred before the past 2 xmas, and the points on a vita worth $125

[quote name='zoro69']You need more points and wait for the really special redemption that has occurred before the past 2 xmas, and the points on a vita worth $125[/QUOTE]

This has actually changed. You only get $100 on bonus redemption days now for 50k points as per my previous post.

[quote name='gsrce']This has actually changed. You only get $100 on bonus redemption days now for 50k points as per my previous post.[/QUOTE]

no, they have super bonus redemption day, 95000 for $250. Was a couple weeks after the points for gc deal, redeemed 4X$250 that day

Craziness!

Still comes down to whether it's in stock at my local SDM. And even though I could wait and get however much on super redemption days. I'd almost rather just get my free mem card and game on that day and spend less now...

ps. I'm impatient

MAKE SURE YOU BUY A $250 Gift card FIRST

Then USE the GC to PAY TO DOUBLE DIP on the points!

No Promo on the GC, just reg points

What do you buy at Shoppers during these redemption days? I can't really think of anything to spend $100+ other than another gaming system, but that's very unlikely. I hardly ever go to Shoppers because their prices are high.

[quote name='gamer602']MAKE SURE YOU BUY A $250 Gift card FIRST

No Promo on the GC, just reg points[/QUOTE]

Wow, does that work? I wonder if they'll be okay with people buy a gift card and then immediately using it to make a purchase. :lol:

[quote name='gamer602']MAKE SURE YOU BUY A $250 Gift card FIRST

No Promo on the GC, just reg points[/QUOTE]

So let me get this straight.

Buy a $250 gift card, get 2500 points.
Use gift card to buy Vita, get 50000 points.
Sit on points till super bonus redemption day.
Cash 'em in for $100-200 worth of whatever you want.

I may get a Vita sooner than I thought.

Totally agree Jogurt.

@firehawk12 Just go to shoppers in the next couple days before Saturday and buy the gift card first.

@gamer602 Do you know for sure that you get points when you buy stuff with a gift card on the 20x days?

Would hate to get a $250 gift card, to figure out you don't get points, then wind up spending $500 to make sure I get the points.

Of course I think I left my Optimum card back home and won't be there before the deal.

I have 500 000 points so i know a thing or two about SDM.
Also used to work there.

Buy a GC FIRST. 250 plus HST or what ever tax is in your province. 280 total in BC.

Special REDEMPTION DAYS ARE:

50000-$125
95000-$250

@ gamer602 Cool, well I will definitely be stopping by to get a replacement optimum card, then buying a gift card (while checking their stock of Vita's).

@snowsquirrel I believe that is in the flyer for this week and next week's flyer (starting thurs.) has the ad for 20x points on Saturday.

[quote name='strife18']@ gamer602 Cool, well I will definitely be stopping by to get a replacement optimum card, then buying a gift card (while checking their stock of Vita's).[/QUOTE]

Yeah, the main danger with this deal is sinking $250 into a gift card and then the store not having Vita stock on the one day only. I'll probably just get the gift card the day of.

[quote name='Jogurt the Yogurt']Yeah, the main danger with this deal is sinking $250 into a gift card and then the store not having Vita stock on the one day only. I'll probably just get the gift card the day of.[/QUOTE]

True enough. Maybe I can charm one of the older ladies working there to put one behind the counter for me ;)

[quote name='strife18']True enough. Maybe I can charm one of the older ladies working there to put one behind the counter for me ;)[/QUOTE]

Mainly, I don't see a danger in not getting a card in advance. The only reason that was suggested is because someone thought it would be suspicious to buy a card and then immediately buy a product with it. The people working there don't care.

The people at my Shoppers don't like me because I used SCOP on them one time. :roll:

Hopefully this is legit, as I am going to pass up the FS deal (for today and tomorrow only), which is worth $40 for this. Thanks. I may just do this trick. Can I redeem the points right away in store? Do you have to pay tax on stuff you buy with points?

Does the flyer say what games they will have?

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='snowsquirrel']Hopefully this is legit, as I am going to pass up the FS deal (for today and tomorrow only), which is worth $40 for this. Thanks. I may just do this trick. Can I redeem the points right away in store? Do you have to pay tax on stuff you buy with points?[/QUOTE]

yes and yes

Use points right away, but better to save up.

points are like a gift card, YOU PAY TAX

buy the bundle in advance at FS in case SDM sells out. Most stores won't get more than 3 Vitas for launch.

[quote name='snowsquirrel']Good call. I'll swing by FS tonight. What is the source of this 20x deal? RFD doesn't even mention it? Do we a mole? Excellent.[/QUOTE]

20x sat only is correct. Game stuff is always ymmv at any given store. it hasn't been hard to get hardware for quite awhile but with the vita brand new there will be lots more demand from those who know how good at deal it is to buy there. they get very few copies of software, and pretty much just get AAA titles, particularly ones published by the console manufacturers

if you dont see what you want, ask. they are terrible with merchandising the game stuff and lots of them will have stuff not visible to the customers for long periods of time

It is posted on their site now:
http://www1.shoppersdrugmart.ca/en/Optimum/Offers/20x.aspx

I am going to double check with store associate about the double dipping thing... I'll tell them it is for my son's b'day, but I want the points... actually that is 100% the truth. Though I'll likely grab one for myself to.

Does anyone one know what *time* the promotion starts? One of the SDM's by me is 24 hours. Could I go there at 1am and snag this deal?

~S

I stopped by the local SDM today and unfortunately, due to it being a small town, there was not even a hint of anything regarding Vita in the store. I asked an associate and they said they don't often get gaming stuff in very often, and if it just came out yesterday to check back next week
:(

Well, I guess no 20x points for me on my Vita purchase. So I guess I will not be an early adopter and will wait until the next best deal.

[quote name='strife18']I stopped by the local SDM today and unfortunately, due to it being a small town, there was not even a hint of anything regarding Vita in the store. I asked an associate and they said they don't often get gaming stuff in very often, and if it just came out yesterday to check back next week
:(

Well, I guess no 20x points for me on my Vita purchase. So I guess I will not be an early adopter and will wait until the next best deal.[/QUOTE]

Your profile says Toon Town. There must be 10~15 SDM's there. I went to four in the the 'Vag and only 2 of the four carried gaming stuff. So if I were you I'd try a couple others.

Unfortunately for me the one 24 hour store here carried 3ds's but had never heard of a Vita. But the two that did have Vita's both had 3 in stock yesterday.

Hehe, I should really change that. I technically live in S'toon, but I spend 3/4 of the year working away in small town Ontario. They only have one SDM and a Wal-mart.

Update:

Well I went into SDM this morning and it seems the person who I talked to before didn't know what she was talking about (not a surprise). They had one, only one system come in, with only 5 games plus accessories.

I didn't have my optimum card so I had to sign up for a new card and transfer points. So I bought the Vita and bam, 249000 points. However, the manager told me that I was not able to do the double dipping with a gift card. So I then used the points for Uncharted and an 8GB card. But I didn't have enough for the $85 off so I had to pay a bit.

So basically at this point I ended up getting the same deal as FS but with an 8GB card + 19000 points left.

What I was wondering is if they would let me do this....Since its still 20x day, if I went back after work and returned the card and game, got my points back, bought something for the 1000 points I was missing to redeem $85 instead of $60, then rebuy the game and card with only paying $5 instead of $30 extra?

Maybe gamer602 can shed some light on this. But even if not, PSVITA baby!

I didn't grab the gift card to double up, since they were busy and I grabbed the last one, but it worked out to 49800 points for anyone interested.

The store I went to only had the hardware, so there was nothing else I could have picked up anyway.

Offer valid February 25, 2012 only.

*Points are issued according to the net pre-tax purchase total of eligible products after redemptions and discounts and before taxes using a valid Shoppers Optimum Card®. Excludes prescription purchases, Shoppers Optimum Bonus Points®, Shoppers Optimum® MasterCard® points, products that contain codeine, tobacco products (where applicable), lottery tickets, passport photos, stamps, transit tickets and passes, event tickets, gift cards, prepaid phone cards, prepaid card products and Shoppers Home Health Care® locations. Offer applies to photofinishing services that are picked up and paid for on the day of the offer only. Not to be used in conjunction with any other Shoppers Optimum Points® promotions or offers. See cashier for details. ®

You can't redeem 20x the points for the gift card only the products.

@Tetsugen Ya I think gamer602 had established that in an earlier post. What we were saying is just get the regular rate of points by buying a $250 gift card, then get the 20x when you buy the Vita with the card.

But according to the manager at mine, it is not allowed.

[quote name='strife18']@Tetsugen Ya I think gamer602 had established that in an earlier post. What we were saying is just get the regular rate of points by buying a $250 gift card, then get the 20x when you buy the Vita with the card.

But according to the manager at mine, it is not allowed.[/QUOTE]

Those mgmt are aholes.1800 shoppers will back you up if you call them.

If you want points back, tell the store that you want to VOID transaction.
NOT a RETURN as they will only give the value of points back on a GC.

VOID transaction can only be done on the same day.

Cool thanks gamer602. We'll see if I go and do that or not. I might just leave it and hold the points until one of those extra redeeming days.

[quote name='strife18']Cool thanks gamer602. We'll see if I go and do that or not. I might just leave it and hold the points until one of those extra redeeming days.[/QUOTE]

ya twice a year

50000 is worth 125
95000 is worth 250

save up for those times.

I just got my Vita and a 16GB memory card. I didn't bother with the gift card double dip because all the ladies there were very confused about gift cards. Just with the purchases, though, I cranked up into the 95000 zone.

Rumour in another thread is that super bonus redemption day/weekend starts March 10th, so it's pretty good timing... will be able to pick up a few games there.

Ya, after hearing that the bonus redemption is coming up soon I'm contemplating voiding my transaction to get my points back. Then just buying the card/game to get some extra points, and holding out for that extra redemption and get an extra game out of that deal. Or buy my wife some makeup or something, hopefully that will appease her seeing how I didn't discuss where this fits into the budget before buying :)

[quote name='strife18']Ya, after hearing that the bonus redemption is coming up soon I'm contemplating voiding my transaction to get my points back. Then just buying the card/game to get some extra points, and holding out for that extra redemption and get an extra game out of that deal. Or buy my wife some makeup or something, hopefully that will appease her seeing how I didn't discuss where this fits into the budget before buying :)[/QUOTE]

:)

I didn't have the points for super redemption next month to be worthwhile, but after today's 20x extravaganza I do. So even if I just end up getting a bunch of food and toiletries and other utilitarian stuff in March it will be worth it. Just moved into a new house this week, so stuff like that will actually come in handy. I'll see if I can convince the wife that the Vita was a good household purchase.

I got an email that says Shoppers is doing another 20x event tonight (Feb 29th) if you bring in a coupon, for anyone still interested in getting in on that for the Vita.

Ah, never mind, it's for cosmetics only!

Depends if you want a Vita. I did this deal the last time around and got Uncharted and an 8GB card with the points.

I don't regret it at all. I really enjoy playing it. The Motorstorm RC game is great (and free!) and so is Super stardust.

The only downside right now is that the content is slowly trickling out and could be alot quicker. So if what is out there right now interests you, I say go for it.

[quote name='gamer602']149 for 3DS
30,000 points (WORTH $30-80)
AND
$20 Cash Rebate from nintendo :)[/QUOTE]

Hmm... that's functionally $50 for the system. That's about the sweet spot for this one.

bread's done
Back