Launch day. What's the word?

I'm more curious to know if stores are selling out or if you can walk into a GameStop right now and buy one off the shelf.

Picked mine up this morning (WiFi) and I asked if they had any "extra" 3G/WiFi ones. Dude said they only had enough for preorders for both 3G and WiFi.

[quote name='Javery']I'm more curious to know if stores are selling out or if you can walk into a GameStop right now and buy one off the shelf.[/QUOTE]

I live in Wichita, KS, which is a major metro area for our state, but still admittedly not particularly large (say, like a KC, OKC or Dallas, to put it in Midwest perspective).

However - I had a super easy time getting one. I did go to Target when it opened at 8 a.m., but I was the only one to do so, and there were probably 7 Vitas left at the store I went to. I honestly expected there to be several other people, but nope.

My guess is, as long as you don't live anywhere too congested, you should be able to still walk in and grab one.

Now, to speak to the PS Vita itself. I haven't had much time yet to mess with it, just my lunch break, but I was both annoyed and amazed. I had to spend 45 minutes setting up my system and downloading the update (slow work wifi to blame), then I had 15 minutes left to play my first two rounds of Marvel vs. Capcom.

The screen really is gorgeous - that game looks as good if not better than it does on my 360. I also thought I was going to be put off by trying to use the small, knobby thumbsticks, but they're really not that bad. Load times didn't seem terrible either. (I did encounter some sluggishness trying to load Netflix, though - probably wifi again.) I really dig the Vita so far, and I still haven't even touched Wipeout or Uncharted.

Word from me is I want the system because the hardware seems absolutley perfect and I hate the PoS 3DS hardware for so many reasons, but there's not even 1 game I want to play for Vita so I didn't get it. GBA sp 4 Life.

[quote name='Javery']I'm more curious to know if stores are selling out or if you can walk into a GameStop right now and buy one off the shelf.[/QUOTE]

I don't think the Vita is as in demand as everyone thinks. You can still get the first edition bundle from Amazon.

I went to Target I work at today to pick up my preorder around 10:30 this morning and there was nobody there. The dude who rang me up said he has only sold some games but no actual Vitas. I was the first one. The store only got two preorders and one of them was mine. I think we had four 3G units and 7 or 8 WIFI ones left.

Same thing happened with the 3DS launch too. I seemed to be the only one who cared, heh.

Got my Wi-Fi Vita this morning at 8:15am at a Target in Poway. There were 2 Wi-Fi systems total and one 3G locked behind the glass case and according to the guy I was the first customer in that section, period. While I don't plan on going to any more stores today, I'll be curious to see how if any are still in stock by the weekend or by next Tuesday when I pick up SSX.

Didn't get to spend much time with mine as I'm currently downloading bunches of PSP games on this thing. Didn't like the convoluted method of upgrading the firmware (make fake account, upgrade, then associate the system with my PSN account) but otherwise I'm happy with it. I do dig the new dashboard and I like the fact that I can customize each screen with a different wallpaper. Little things but still nice to have.

[quote name='dumlaox']Got my Wi-Fi Vita this morning at 8:15am at a Target in Poway. There were 2 Wi-Fi systems total and one 3G locked behind the glass case and according to the guy I was the first customer in that section, period. While I don't plan on going to any more stores today, I'll be curious to see how if any are still in stock by the weekend or by next Tuesday when I pick up SSX.

Didn't get to spend much time with mine as I'm currently downloading bunches of PSP games on this thing. Didn't like the convoluted method of upgrading the firmware (make fake account, upgrade, then associate the system with my PSN account) but otherwise I'm happy with it. I do dig the new dashboard and I like the fact that I can customize each screen with a different wallpaper. Little things but still nice to have.[/QUOTE]

How do you add wallpaper? I've been trying to figure that out all day. I just figured the ability to do so wasn't included.

[quote name='dumlaox']Didn't like the convoluted method of upgrading the firmware (make fake account, upgrade, then associate the system with my PSN account) [/QUOTE]

Whats the reason for doing this?

[quote name='dumlaox']Got my Wi-Fi Vita this morning at 8:15am at a Target in Poway. There were 2 Wi-Fi systems total and one 3G locked behind the glass case and according to the guy I was the first customer in that section, period. While I don't plan on going to any more stores today, I'll be curious to see how if any are still in stock by the weekend or by next Tuesday when I pick up SSX.

Didn't get to spend much time with mine as I'm currently downloading bunches of PSP games on this thing. Didn't like the convoluted method of upgrading the firmware (make fake account, upgrade, then associate the system with my PSN account) but otherwise I'm happy with it. I do dig the new dashboard and I like the fact that I can customize each screen with a different wallpaper. Little things but still nice to have.[/QUOTE]

I saw this in another thread not sure why everyone is having this problem. I just selected sign in later then went to settings and did the system upgrade. After upgrade I logged in no problem, never had to create a fake account.

I stopped by my local Target around 7:00 pm, didn't see any Vita games or systems on the shelves. The guy at the counter had 'em all in a box under the counter. Not sure how many systems they had, but he said they only had 4 titles: Modnation Racers, Wipeout, Lumines, and Little Deviants. He thought the other launch titles might come "in the next couple days".

Received mine in the mail from Amazon today along with my free 4GB memory card and Rayman Origins, Lumines, and Hot Shots Golf from the B2G1 sale. Also to my surprise, Amazon gave me a $20 credit for future PSV game or accessory purchases. If it weren't for all the deals Amazon gave me, I would have never bought a Vita.

My impressions: Its bigger than I expected, but very comfortable. The screen is nothing short of amazing. I just played the Uncharted demo and the dual analog worked great. I'm about to try Rayman and Lumines right now. The 3DS didn't wow me at all when I got mine earlier this month, but this thing is genuinely impressing me. I might have to buy a PSP game to see the improvement in screen quality.

Biggest thing that stands out to me is that the screen is incredible! The videos and pictures I have seen prior to today did not do the Vita justice.

Just played Rayman for about half an hour. Mother of God...The most beautiful 2D graphics you've ever seen. It looks like super crisp and vivid concept art come to life.

[quote name='Hiei69']Just played Rayman for about half an hour. Mother of God...The most beautiful 2D graphics you've ever seen. It looks like super crisp and vivid concept art come to life.[/QUOTE]
Have you played it on a console?

[quote name='pjb16']Have you played it on a console?[/QUOTE]

No, I haven't. I was going to, but I wanted something new to play on my Vita.

The launch titles are really disappointing for RPG fans. (Dungeon Hunter Alliance doesn't sound very promising). As soon as Vita gets a couple good exclusive RPGs released in English I'll probably buy one.

[quote name='daveyd']The launch titles are really disappointing for RPG fans. (Dungeon Hunter Alliance doesn't sound very promising). As soon as Vita gets a couple good exclusive RPGs released in English I'll probably buy one.[/QUOTE]

Launch? Yeah there isn't much, but you do have these to look forward to.

Disgaea 3 is coming in April

Gravity Rush should be out in May.

Then eventually, Persona 4 The Golden will be released, probably in the fall.

Got:
Vita
Screen protector
4GB MC
32GB MC
WipedOut
Luminies
Hot Shots
Escape Plan
that alien PSN game
Ninja Gaiden
Uncharted
Super Stardust

Have yet to get a case.

Anyone figure out what that second slot on the top is for on the wifi model?

[quote name='daveyd']The launch titles are really disappointing for RPG fans. (Dungeon Hunter Alliance doesn't sound very promising). As soon as Vita gets a couple good exclusive RPGs released in English I'll probably buy one.[/QUOTE]

Huge back log of great PSP RPGs is going to make the wait for a PSV RPG easy!

[quote name='BREVITY']

Anyone figure out what that second slot on the top is for on the wifi model?[/QUOTE]

I don't know, but I felt really fucking stupid trying to jam my memory card in there, then reading the little start up pamphlet and saw OH IT GOES IN THE BOTTOM.

Speaking of the top, it's a pain in the ass to switch out game carts, for me anyway, since I have no damn nails. So, I just used one of the rewards cards that I have and it was easy peasy.

[quote name='junkie88']I saw this in another thread not sure why everyone is having this problem. I just selected sign in later then went to settings and did the system upgrade. After upgrade I logged in no problem, never had to create a fake account.[/QUOTE]

No idea why I had to go through the whole process myself and while I'd like to confirm that what I experienced can happen again, I'm not exactly in the mood to try and set everything back up to factory standards (firmware notwhitstanding) to find out :p

Had a little bit more time to play with the Vita, specifically PSP games. Really like the D-Pad this time around for games like Street Fighter Alpha 3 Max and the small buttons didn't bother me much. I thought I'd have a problem with my thumb hitting the left analog stick but since it didn't interfere with the game at all, it wasn't something I worried about afterwards. If there weren't any games I was looking forward to on Vita for a while, I could say that the PSP titles would tide me over for quite some time.

I'm also liking the syncing of trophies here. Much faster than the PS3, though I don't seem to see my Vita trophies or those of my friends when viewing it on the PS3 itself. Anyone have any idea on how I can get it to show up on that list?

[quote name='BREVITY']Huge back log of great PSP RPGs is going to make the wait for a PSV RPG easy![/QUOTE]

That is very true (for anyone who doesn't already have a PSP). Also, there's still at least a couple more PSP RPGs coming to the US: Atlus is Growlanser: Wayfarer of Time and Gungnir. XSEED has implied they might bring more too.

Daveyd:
I just wish these PSP games were not as expensive still. 35 for Persona 3 is a bit much for the digital version.

I sure wish the covers over these game and memory cards were better made. These seems ripe for breakdown and breakage.

Also hate the placement of the power button, front camera (cameras sucks anyway), and I wish it had gorilla glass. I bet I will have more as time goes on but over all I do like it.

[quote name='BREVITY']Huge back log of great PSP RPGs is going to make the wait for a PSV RPG easy![/QUOTE]

Had a PSPGo for about a month, but other than that never really had a PSP. What are some of the RPGs you guys recommend?

[quote name='jedolley']Had a PSPGo for about a month, but other than that never really had a PSP. What are some of the RPGs you guys recommend?[/QUOTE]

Jeanne D'Arc and FFIV complete collection are the 2 best IMO

[quote name='jedolley']Had a PSPGo for about a month, but other than that never really had a PSP. What are some of the RPGs you guys recommend?[/QUOTE]

Head over the metacritic and stay it by score and all time. There is a way to order by genera but I cant recall now. You can quickly find the cream of the crop.

Played and beat these on the PSP or other systems and liked them.
Jeanna Dark
FFT
Tactics Org
FFIV
Puzzle Quest
Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII
Valkyria Chronicles II (didnt finish yet)
Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep (didnt finish yet)
Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth

I want to play at least Persona 3 but its a little much now. I think the Monster Hunter games might be good and I want to play the new Metal Gear game.

[quote name='tukai']Jeanne D'Arc and FFIV complete collection are the 2 best IMO[/QUOTE]

Jeanne D'Arc is an amazing game. It easily falls into my top 2 or 3 games of all time. I enjoyed the story and the gameplay immensely, and the cutscenes were glorious. I will be playing it again on the Vita. If you like strategy RPG's, I could also recommend Disgaea 2, that is if you would like to lose 3 months of you life :p

[quote name='BREVITY']Daveyd:
I just wish these PSP games were not as expensive still. 35 for Persona 3 is a bit much for the digital version.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I hear ya. I feel like digital downloads should be a tad cheaper since there is no physical product. Gungnir and Growlanser: Wayfarer of Time will probably be $30 when they're released because that's what the UMD price is.

One current traditional turn-based RPG on the PSP I'd recommend:

Crimson Gem Saga

[quote name='daveyd']Yeah I hear ya. I feel like digital downloads should be a tad cheaper since there is no physical product. Gungnir and Growlanser: Wayfarer of Time will probably be $30 when they're released because that's what the UMD price is.

One current traditional turn-based RPG on the PSP I'd recommend:

Crimson Gem Saga[/QUOTE]

I know it's been said before, but with the cost of memory cards, it boggles my mind why somebody would purchase retail games through PSN. That "discount" is eaten up immediately by the cost of additional storage and lack of resale/trade. Not only that, retail games are regularly found much cheaper than PSN, eliminating any perceived "discount".

Moreover you can't lend a download game to a friend or your spouse/kid/dog without giving them your Vita as well, unlike a cartridge. The discount should be 50% at a minimum. Either that or just pick games that you want to always have available to play all the time. For me that would only be pick up and play high scoring type games, and those should be cheaper anyway.

[quote name='crunchewy']Moreover you can't lend a download game to a friend or your spouse/kid/dog without giving them your Vita as well, unlike a cartridge. The discount should be 50% at a minimum. Either that or just pick games that you want to always have available to play all the time. For me that would only be pick up and play high scoring type games, and those should be cheaper anyway.[/QUOTE]

Do you really think they save 50% with digital copies?

Persona 3
Legend of Heroes Trails in the sky
Lunar Silver Star Harmony
Disgaea series

[quote name='crunchewy']Moreover you can't lend a download game to a friend or your spouse/kid/dog without giving them your Vita as well, unlike a cartridge. The discount should be 50% at a minimum. Either that or just pick games that you want to always have available to play all the time. For me that would only be pick up and play high scoring type games, and those should be cheaper anyway.[/QUOTE]
That's not exactly true, if I understand the account rules right. You can have digital games active on 2 portable devices at one time. So I think you could easily (at least arguably without much difficulty) lend out a digital game to a friend/spouse/kid.

Totally agree here. A 50% discount would get me to buy the digital version day one. The 50% discount would make up for the major downsides of owning the digital version vs physical version that you mentioned. Take a look at the buy 2 get 1 free deal for vita games.. why doesnt sony match this offer on the PSN store as well?? Who is going to buy 3 games digital for 120dollars? instead of those same 3 games physical for 80? so its cheaper and you get the advantages of physical games.

I am interested to see how the digital prices of games for vita drop in price compared to their physical copies of the game.

Not only do you get less for your money via digital. Your also going to be forced to buy their currently expensive memory cards as well.

I think the Vita would do pretty good if they clearanced out and stopped production of the wifi only version
And dropped the 3G version to 199. And stop production of 4gb mem cards alltogether. And also cut all other memory card prices by at least 50%.

For Vita 2.0 built in storage and better battery would be nice too.

[quote name='doodofdoods']Persona 3
Legend of Heroes Trails in the sky
Lunar Silver Star Harmony
Disgaea series[/QUOTE]

I'll add

Persona 2
The Ys series (Seven Especially)
Valkyria Chronicles 2

That's not exactly true, if I understand the account rules right. You can have digital games active on 2 portable devices at one time. So I think you could easily (at least arguably without much difficulty) lend out a digital game to a friend/spouse/kid.

Thanks for all the PSP RPG suggestions! I think I will start with Final Fantasy IV Collection as it was one of my favorites a VERY long time ago.

I kind of want all digital now with the vita. But, i refuse to spend $40 on a game i can't sell later on unless i never intend to sell it.

[quote name='el swordo']I kind of want all digital now with the vita. But, i refuse to spend $40 on a game i can't sell later on unless i never intend to sell it.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, plus the Vita memory card are too pricey. I'm only going to go digital with non-Vita games or the select few Vita games that aren't sold retail.

[quote name='iamthekiller']I know it's been said before, but with the cost of memory cards, it boggles my mind why somebody would purchase retail games through PSN. That "discount" is eaten up immediately by the cost of additional storage and lack of resale/trade. Not only that, retail games are regularly found much cheaper than PSN, eliminating any perceived "discount".[/QUOTE]

I prefer to buy games off the PSN so that I have them with me. The bulk of my PSP games are digital as well. I like the convenience of having them all and not having to swap them out. It's also helpful for a household that could have multiple Vitas since the same PSN account could use the same digital game, which is what I did with my PSP.

Will I buy physical games? I'm going to try not to, but I'm sure there will be games I'm not sure I'll want to keep or a sale will come up that'll be too good to pass up. For the most part I tend to buy new releases and the 10% off on the PSN is probably a greater deal for me then whatever retail could offer for that week.

When a title has been out for over a year and it's $35 on PSN, but less then $20 retail, I'll probably pick up the retail copy.

bread's done
Back