CAGcast #272: Sony Sympathy

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
[preview][IMG-L=5838]15060[/IMG-L]Wombat weighs in on Project Wombat (ME3 multiplayer), Shipwreck talks Alan Wake: American Nightmare & Syndicate, and CheapyD trys to be a kinder, gentler Internet space pimp.

Get your questions or topics answered on future shows via CAGbag or Twitter.

[podcast]181[/podcast]
Download - 74 minutes, 45MB
iTunes: Subscribe - Review

Support the CAGcast: StackSoap.com[/preview]

Show Linkage/Notes:

Intro/Outro: Ice T & Toto Mashup / Rap Chop

Follow us on Twitter
Cheap Ass Gamer on Facebook
CheapyD's Youtube Videos (Subscribe)
CheapyD's Flickr Page (Subscribe)

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting new sponsor.

You were in good form tonight Wombat. I lost it a couple of the things you said, not to mention I almost cried laughing at the mental image of you losing a bar of soap in your ass. The phrase "Lick my chode" has now been added to my vocabulary. I love you sometimes.

Shipwreck, can we please get a version of your highlight reel that only features highlights of you? I understand not wanting to put a bunch of 7th grade girls on the internet but I'd like to see you flip shit.

Cheapy- loved the outro song.

As far as the Vita discussion goes I feel you three have hit the point where shitting on it anymore would be beating a dead horse. I know it just came out this week in America and that warrants discussion; I'm not saying you shouldn't have mentioned it. But since Cheapy has had his for over a month and we've heard about how he doesn't really care for it I think we've hit the saturation point where if it keeps getting put down it's going to get annoying.

That being said I enjoyed the show. Great one as usual guys.

Can someone Pm me the spoiler Wombat is talking about in the Mass Effect 3 demo?
Played the demo and I don't know what he's talking about.

[quote name='SeanAmI']Can someone Pm me the spoiler Wombat is talking about in the Mass Effect 3 demo?
Played the demo and I don't know what he's talking about.[/QUOTE]

I just started listening to this week's episode and was hoping he would clear that up, no dice. Wombat please just post it in spoiler tags for those of us who are terribly confused.

D: Just realized how silly my question was in hindsight. But I guess what I meant to try to say was does it seem like the appeal of the Vita might be heldback to a significant point due to the exclusion of features? Talking to a Sony rep today (who may or may not know anything) has stated that they weren't really sure if Netflix, Twitter or Facebook would have been ready right at launch date.

These aren't exactly important apps for the Vita but I did find myself to be a little bit discouraged by the fact that I couldn't import any of my PSone games to my Vita because it simply wasn't "ready." I don't know of any of the technical aspects to it but somehow I find this a little hard to believe that it wouldn't be ready, especially since the power is evidently there.

The Vita is a gaming system first and foremost but seeing as I no longer have access to my UMDs (I traded off my PSP to get this and I'm sure many others have), I find myself actually missing my PSP just for features like Skype and being able to play PSone games. Could very well be enough to stop a guy from trading in their old PSP for a Vita and thus a potential sale would be lost.

I mean nevermind the UMD thing.

... And nevermind that my Smartphone can do Skype.

... Yeah, that was a silly question to ask. D:

Hey folks, great episode as always. I do have to say the vita bashing from cheapy is getting a bit stale. I used to love the passive aggressive snipes at Sony from the crew (wombat not as much) as it reflected my own feelings against them and their IP's. I love that you prefer playing xbox and feel its a more relevant gaming system but the pods sometimes feels like listening to whats akin to a punditry roundtable (wombat excluded). Anywho I love love love the show and find your conversations and opinions amusing if not sometimes negatively repetitive. Can't wait to hear what u think of mass effect 3 and ssx!

Why is bio ware making this DLC free thing? I will cancel my regular edition preorder and skip the game if nothing changes in 3-5 days.

Cheapy and Shipwreck, you shouldn't feel bad about having an opinion that differs from the video game press. Wombat is pretty spot-on about most of the video game press being nothing more than a bunch of glad-handed pseudo-journalists. Be honest. Be yourself. That's why the CAGcast is my favorite video game podcast. Pull no punches and kick things in the dick.

I'll have to check out this StackSoap. I'm pretty picky about the soap I use—but it sounds like an excellent gift and idea.

Please post your music video shipwreck ,
And use the all I do is won song and kick the
Camera at the end of the video and follow
It by an exposion , thanks .

@Chase " Wombat is pretty spot-on about most of the video game press being nothing more than a bunch of glad-handed pseudo-journalists. " whoa really? That's a little paranoid and sweeping generalization of the industry. I also agree about the crew having and expressing their opinions. It's why I listen! I just think the format has gotten stuck in this weird repetitive format of pro Apple talk, anti vita talk, anti Sony IP (infamous fob excluded) talk. I do love the shit pants stories and hearing about ships great season tho more of that and leave the trash talking for lesser shows like hip hop gamer ect.

[quote name='neversawthestars']@Chase " Wombat is pretty spot-on about most of the video game press being nothing more than a bunch of glad-handed pseudo-journalists. " whoa really? That's a little paranoid and sweeping generalization of the industry. I also agree about the crew having and expressing their opinions. It's why I listen! I just think the format has gotten stuck in this weird repetitive format of pro Apple talk, anti vita talk, anti Sony IP (infamous fob excluded) talk. I do love the shit pants stories and hearing about ships great season tho more of that and leave the trash talking for lesser shows like hip hop gamer ect.[/QUOTE]

I have only used my Journalism degree as a résumé point since I earned that stripe years ago. But, I remember stuff. ;)

Journalists get raw and gritty, and investigate the news—even at their career's expense. Reporters report what journalists find and uncover. What most video game writers do is report. Some websites, like IGN, depend on the kindess of publishers and developers, and would never risk losing credentials for the sake of breaking a news story. And really, most of the time, the video game industry has nothing to uncover. So yeah, most writers for video game websites are reporters—and not journalists.

Just an example: I live in Las Vegas. UFC's base of operations and a home of MMA. I go out, talk to people/fighters, and find stories. I later post them online. That's journalism. Someone who takes my stories and posts it on their website: that's reporting. And that's what most video game websites do.

One reason why I like Cheapy, Shipwreck, and Wombat is because they're independent. They don't suckle the teet of video game companies to sustain their infrastructure. They don't fear losing a sponsor to plaster on their homepage—and click-through ad—as a result of speaking their minds. You have to respect them for that. :)

The discussion about the limited stock of Vitas at the big box retailers were really interesting. I haven't heard any other podcasts talk about this at all.

And yes, I caved. XD

[quote name='Chase']Cheapy and Shipwreck, you shouldn't feel bad about having an opinion that differs from the video game press.[/QUOTE]

Being ignorant about the PC, unenthusiastic about Sony, and massive fans of the 360 and iOS puts them squarely in line with most of the American videogame press.

[quote name='Curufinwe']Being ignorant about the PC, unenthusiastic about Sony, and massive fans of the 360 and iOS puts them squarely in line with most of the American videogame press.[/QUOTE]

I don't mean to fuel any fires, but I agree.

And also, no one has to "feel bad" or should have to mention that they feel bad about Sony or their position in the market or the PS-Vita. It's just not for you, that's all. When you're looking for negative comments or reviews you'll go where you can find them. When you're positive about it you'll go where it's being recognized. Trolls are everywhere. Regardless, decent discussion.

Once upon a time, Joystiq had an awesome podcast called X3F. Then it died and they replaced it with some boring NPR show.

Once upon a time, Gamesradar had an awesome podcast called Talkradar. Then it died for mysterious reasons.

Now, the CAGcast is all I have left =/

Definitely need to get me some more Alan Wake

I don't mind Vita bashing, in some ways Sony deserves it with lack of commerciallism. Unfortunatly, Shipwreck and Wombat doesn't have enough knowledge of Vita to put valuable input in(demo units in stores are always crappy), I personally feel there should be a purchase before offering true comments. Mod Nation is bad because no true online and no commentators for the story mode which loses everything it had because without that comedy the game just isn't good. Hot Shots Golf is highly addictive. Walmart historically is bad with launches, you need to goto Best Buy/Gamestops. Uncharted I don't get it, I really love the look of it but the controls are beyond frustrating but you get used to it. Fifa is really, really good. Using the back touch screen. Vita's screen and access to play is easy to understand and play. I'm buying 2 more Vita's next week for my kids. If you buy a Vita, buy screen protectors. In less then 2 weeks I am buying MLB 12 the Show on 2 consoles PS3 and Vita. The idea of spending $100 to play whereever, whenever, I am thrilled with. I always have to goto parties and stuff. Think about this. You now can use the missing time with other people who are bored watching tv and you can still get your game on away from home. This happens a lot to me and I am thrilled to continue playing whenever and can even playing during my lunch break at work. I have other demos and such that I grabbed from the store and they work well. In terms of other people having these games. With the Near service I can see that there are 36 people within a 3 mile radius of my house who have played Hot Shots Golf. There are 41 people with in a 3 mile radius playing Modnation Racers. Wombat says he hasn't been home, he could be playing Vita. :)

Playstation is a Brand. The name for PSP is Playstation Portable, the new Console is PS Vita which is Playstation Vita.

Only thing missing is Skype, Twitter and Facebook are there.

iPhone games = Wii games Basically a lot of crap on both sides. What are your thoughts on Nintendo's announcement yesterday?

Speaking to a lot of people including press being generally positive on the Vita. It feels like while there are definitite issues it's an enjoyable system. This is how I feel anyway, I agree with many of your problems but I'm still enjoying my Vita a lot.

Just pledged $10 to Stack Soap. Just this week I tossed out a soap sliver. This is actually a pretty good idea.

I ended up getting a Vita yesterday and am enjoying it. I’m more an Xbox fanboy than PS. I really wish MS would come out with a sweet handheld like the Vita.

I do agree with the talk of all the games just being dumbed down versions of PS3 games. Why play Uncharted on Vita, when there are 3 versions already on PS3. Of course, I ended up buying Uncharted because there wasn’t much else to pick up.

The talk of a $1 iOS game being $40 on the Vita is ridiculous. This is why these console handhelds will fail. It would be one thing if they charged $10-15, but $40?!?!

FYI there is a demo for Asura's Wrath (a couple of levels I believe). The general consensus of the game is that it's good, but too short. Definitely waiting until it drops to $40 or less.

[quote name='serenitygod']Why is bio ware making this DLC free thing? I will cancel my regular edition preorder and skip the game if nothing changes in 3-5 days.[/QUOTE]

just curious..

why did you think the standard edition was getting content (for free) that was listed as a bonus for buying the CE?

that's a strange assumption to me and would be ridiculously unfair to those who purchased the CE

I totally agree with Wombat about games on the iPhone. I also recently got an iPhone and spent a while browsing the store, and didn't see anything worth spending my time on let alone paying money for.

If I have time to kill and just my iPhone for entertainment, I'd much rather spend that time browsing the web or using apps, than playing games that are inferior to games on a real handheld which are inferior to games on console and which (in many cases) are inferior to games on a decent PC.

[quote name='Curufinwe']I totally agree with Wombat about games on the iPhone. I also recently got an iPhone and spent a while browsing the store, and didn't see anything worth spending my time on let alone paying money for.

If I have time to kill and just my iPhone for entertainment, I'd much rather spend that time browsing the web or using apps, than playing games that are inferior to games on a real handheld which are inferior to games on console and which (in many cases) are inferior to games on a decent PC.[/QUOTE]

i second(third?) this.

im on android but the point is the same. i own so many games and the only one i ever play is chu chu rocket, and that's only because it takes almost no time to launch and start playing, so i can actually play for most of the 2 minutes while i wait for the microwave to finish cooking my lunch.

otherwise give me a ds/3ds any day and im good for portable games

edit: totally forgot that if i count my tablet, i have been spending an ungodly amount of time playing The Pinball Arcade lately. so there's that. but once that comes out for 3ds and 360 I'll probably play on one of those.

The Mayans predicted this... but I still can't believe that Cheapy is trying "not" to bash Sony! This from the guy who spent 3 years saying that Railfan was the best game on the PS3?! What's funny is that all of the gripes mentioned about the PS3 Vita imo were totally justified. I've been listening to a couple other podcasts, and when they talk about the PS Vita it sounds like an infomercial; its sickening... "I play my Vita on the train..." "I Love Uncharted," "The Touch Controls add so much value to the game." blah blah blah... I implore you guys to speak your mind... but instead of "just being negative" come up with some solutions as to how Sony (Nintendo, Microsoft), etc.) could do it better, that way you can still complain, but the "suggestion" will serve to take the focus off the negative comment(s).

I've never heard the term Enthusiastic Media / Journalism, but these other podcasts have taken it too far. They sit around with 3-4 guys laughing at their own jokes, sitting around "liking" everything. I love this game" "Oh yeah, this game is great, and "don't forget about this game its a must have of 2011, 2012, 2013." So fuck the other video game journalists / podcasts and their Enthusiastic bullshit. I'll always respect you guys for speaking how you truly feel about a product... even if I disagree with your opinion.. but hell that's always been the fun on the show! [you guys say how you feel, then everyone floods the comment thread about how stupid or how great your comments are.]

Lastly, after the last show.. I picked up my PSP and played Luminies 2.. and it was fucking great... I don't need a new 40 dollar Lumines and a 250 dollar PS Vita...

I'm enjoying my Vita and I'm all set with games do to the B2G1 promos. I will say I've found that the retailers around me have been very picked over of games. I don't really shop at Wal-mart so I can't confirm Shipwreck's findings. However at the Target, Bestbuy, ToysRUs and even Gamestops I frequent they have been hit hard.

I'm with Wombat when it comes to iphone games, too much crap out there to sort through to get to the decent games. I want to be able to stumble upon some solid titles before I'm told these are great games by the masses. However, gambling on the iphone library of games, even if they are cheap, is still a losing strategy, at least with the games I've picked up thus far.

My favorite quote from this podcast was this.

[quote name='Wombat']Because I'm stupid.[/QUOTE]

Wombat's pitch of StackSoap was hilarious.

I'm going to have to agree with Shipwreck's take on the Vita. I can see the potential for good games on the platform, but I'm not really interested in inferior versions of games I already play on the consoles. This is why I bought so many games on the DS, because there are a number of unique games on system. I enjoyed Pokemon and Dragon Quest IX immensely, those aren't games you really see on other platforms.

It's always hilarious when Wombat plays the "Shipwreck role" and is the reasonable and sensible voice in the discussion, like when talking about the Vita and iPhone games. Good stuff.

But as for Cheapy not knowing why he isn't blown away by the Vita, he isn't the target audience. He is totally content spending his portable gaming money and time on $.99 score-chasing mini-games. And that's totally cool. But you have to recognize that there are gamers out there, like those journalists, that would love to play deeper console-style games on the go. People who would love to play Wipeout on their commute, Uncharted on their lunch break, and Lumines on the toliet.

And the pricing isn't too offensive either. Of course I would like everything to be cheaper, but for now during the launch of this brand new system, the prices for the hardware and games seem reasonable.

But that's just my opinion, I know there are all types of gamers and to each his own.
Anyways, you guys are my favorite video game podcast. I love the dynamic you have together. Keep up the excellent work.

why are you guys reading into walmart stock levels so much? Have you met the people who work at walmarts? I expect getting any kind of adequate stock and display level out on the floor is a hassle considering most your employees are lunkheads.

SSX: It's not that the game is dated, its that the demo is just really mediocre. For a comparison, if you still have SSX3, pop it in your 360 (it's compatible). SSX3 is still fun as hell and still looks great. The game oozes personality. Now try the new demo. Bland as hell. I tried Zoe, and she just seemed like a generic avatar. Boring. I'm hoping it's just a bad demo, but I'm not too hopeful. I think they once again ignored the things that made SSX3 so great.

Vita: Every console sucks in the beginning. You can't judge it's worth for a few months. Personally I think Sony will screw it up just like the PSP, but it's too early to tell.

Jaffe: I like Jaffe even more after hearing him defend himself. He had every right to after a major site posts a character assassination piece that declares him a misogynist. Especially when they don't even know the meaning of the word. I don't really care for his games lately, but I like him.

Iphone gaming: The "who cares, it's only a dollar" attitude is pretty lame. That's a great way to wallow in mediocrity. After throwing away 20 games and getting 1 good one, that's like paying $20 for one good game. Doesn't seem like a good deal to me.

Wombat, since Cheapy and Ship jumped all over you in the iphone part, I decided to write a quick guide on how to find good iphone games:
1) Ignore anything over $.99.
2) Ignore anything that has a link to "Top In-app Purchases" in the game description
3) Check the screenshots and ignore anything that has virtual buttons
4) Ignore anything with less than 4 stars
5) Buy Stupid Zombies and Extreme Golf, because everything else sucks.

Good show to the Cagcast crew, i couldn't stop laughing from Wombats comment about the dude in the subway with the "full suite of armor" playing the PSVita.

I find it amusing that Cheapy and, to a lesser degree, Ship just love beating the dead horse known as the Vita. But as soon as Wombat questions the iPhone as a gaming device, the white knights came riding on on their mighty steeds to protect the precious damsel in distress. Really? For a device thats essentially been out for years, the isn't much on it that stands the test of time. I can only imagine the amount of "but they're only $1" games that Cheapy has bought, only to never touch again after the first one or two tries. Wouldn't that money be better spent on full fledged games, even if they are more money? Maybe not necessarily at Vita launch (when was the last time we had a good console launch?), but why not down the road?

Seems weird how Cheapy and Shipwreck bash on a Uncharted game for the Vita yet if a Alan Wake portable game came out on the Vita (or something similar) they would probably praise it till the end of time.

Also, American Nightmare is not as good as the original Alan Wake. Way more repetitive than AW1 and lacks the quality story the first had. You still get your $15 worth IMO but I would like to see more story next time.

Just thought I'd throw it out there that you can press any old bar of soap into a new one and it will merge with it... Why would anyone pay more for it? Lmao

Part of what makes me want to listen to the CAGcast are the strong opinions of its hosts. As someone that fully supports both the Kinect and the 3DS, I can understand why Vita owners could grow tired of the anti-Vita rants on the CAGcast, but there's no denying the faults in any of these new devices. I feel like a lot of gaming journalists--which praise new devices like the 3DS or the Vita--have lost touch with the gaming world. It's easy to praise a new device when the company has shipped you that device for free or you have the means to afford them. For most of us, however, the decision to throw down over $200 for a new device (and $30-$40 for subsequent games) is not such an easy decision to make. I value the opinions of Cheapy, Shipwreck, and Wombat much more than I do gaming journalists because they speak as gamers first and foremost, and cheap-ass ones at that. I don't agree with their opinions 100% of the time but at least I feel like I'm getting a much more honest opinion out of them.

Great show as always.

Typical Wombat douche-baggery. He's had the iphone a whole month and he knows everything about the platform. Wow spent 5 min. browsing the store, you really did you're homework, there. Is that how you find music too? But I guess there are enough gamers who are butt-hurt about Apple to continue this.

The only problem is the amount of noise (and I will admit there is a lot) on ios that one has to filter to get to the good stuff. But to simply declare all it has is crap is just dumb.

I hope the Vita bombs because Sony's arrogance seems to never faulter. The memory cards are overpriced, Uncharted is $50 (WTF?) and unit is damn expensive. I look forward to third party memory cards and a drastic price drop by holiday (prolly $180?).

I'll start the podcast tonight, but just looking at Ship's tweet responses, us Sony fanboys (I'll include myself, I use my PS3 most of any console) need to back down a bit.

Blasting on Ship for posting a pic from his Wal-Mart? Come on guys, show some maturity.

And even though I'll have a Vita soon and that Uncharted game, the quicklook on giantbomb is pretty damning. The game just spends too much time making you exercise the abilities of the Vita. Balance beams again? Having to swipe in the middle of a fight? That is launch title junk and I don't see why I should laud it just because I like Uncharted.

Sony, please make another Uncharted game for Vita that is less gimmicky.

bread's done
Back