Use a Wii Remote and Classic Controller to Play GTA 3 on Android - NOT for KitKat

toiletham

CAGiversary!
Introduction
• The following information will detail how to play Grand Theft Auto III: 10 Year Anniversary Edition on Android using the Wii Remote and Classic Controller

Purpose
• To provide the user with the necessary controller mapping information for Grand Theft Auto III: 10 Year Anniversary Edition on Android

Materials
• Compatible Android device
• Nintendo Wii Remote
• Nintendo Wii Classic Controller
• This FREE Wiimote Controller app from the Android Market

Procedure
1. Connect the Classic Controller to your Wii Remote
2. Download and install the Wiimote Controller app, following the instructions here
3. The app should recognize the classic controller with the following message: “Classic controller was plugged in WM1”
4. You should then be able to press every button on the Wii Remote and Classic Controller and see some sort of response on the screen. If you don’t – a joystick isn’t responding – start the process over
5. Now, access the app’s menu (the little symbol of horizontal lines) from the main screen
6. Select “Preferences”
7. Select “Mapping Options”
8. Select “1st Controller mappings”
9. The first section is how you save and load mapping profiles in addition to restoring defaults
10. The remaining sections specify the Wii Remote, Nunchuck attachment, and Classic Controller
11. Scroll down to the Classic Controller section
12. Select “Up”
13. You’ll notice another window pops up with a very long list of inputs. Scroll down until you find (Menu) and select it.
14. You have just configured the Classic Controller to activate the “Instant Replay” whenever “Up” is pressed on the direction pad.
15. Using the data table below – Green entries are the Android Inputs, Red entries are the corresponding function in the game – map the rest of the Classic Controller buttons.
16. When you are all done mapping buttons, give it a test drive and make sure everything makes sense. Since you know what Android Keys perform which Game Function, you can map the Wii Remote anyway you want! You could even try the Wii Remote with the Nunchuck attachment.
17. When you are satisified, be sure to scroll back to the top and save your mapping information by selecting “Save as profile” – access your keyboard via the new window’s “Keyboard” button – entering a name and selecting “Add.”
18. Don’t forget to keep in mind what your selected input method is at all times: WiiControllerIME or your favorite Android Keyboard?

Conclusion
• You should now be a little better off playing GTA III. Some of the functions don’t appear to be fully active, as noted in the data table. As far as I currently know, the in-game map still has to be accessed via the touch screen – make sure to use the home icon in the lower right to exit. And you should always be able to use the touch screen if you find menu navigation to cumbersome with the controller.
• I used a first generation (no built in motion plus, no motion plus attachment), first party Wii Remote, a first party Classic Controller, and an ASUS Transformer Prime.

GTA3CLASSICCONTROLLER.png

In case the image isn't there:
http://oyster.ignimgs.com/wordpress/write.ign.com/3584/2012/02/GTA3CLASSICCONTROLLER.png

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='enormous']Just found this. Got everything working on my Epic 4G Touch. THANKS for writing this up. :applause:[/QUOTE]

You are very welcome. I also have a mapping for Shadowgun if you are interested. Let me know.

Ok so i have spent the last couple of days trying to finish the tedious task of mapping all buttons to work on the classic Wii controller. I have gotten some of it finished but i still can not play the game with my controller. I need help filling in the gaps. The Question marks represent what i do not know at this point. Any info is much appreciated, Thanks.

Controller Button Corresponing Input Mapping Game Action

Up, N/A, N/A

Down, N/A, N/A

Left, D-Pad Left / XP D-Pad Left, Cycle Weapons - Left

Right, D-Pad Right / XP D-Pad Right, Cycle Weapons - Right

X, ?????????????, ??? Jump ???

Y, Game Butoon X / XP Square, Reload Weapon

A, D-Pad Down / XP D-Pad Down, Crouch

B, ?????????????, ??? Sprint ???

Start / +, (Menu), Pause / Resume

Select / -, N/A, N/A

Home, N/A, N/A

Left Stick Up, D-Pad Up / XP D-Pad Up, Move Forward

Left Stick Down, ?????????????, ??? Move Backwards ???

Left Stick Left, ?????????????, ??? Move Left ???

Left Stick Right, ?????????????, ??? Move Right ???

Right Stick Up, ?????????????, ??? Look / Aim Up ???

Right Stick Down, ?????????????, ??? Look / Aim Down ???

Right Stick Left, ?????????????, ??? Look / Aim Left ???

Right Stick Right, ?????????????, ??? Look / Aim Right ???

L, ?????????????, ??? Stab / Knife ???

R, ?????????????, ??? Throw Grenade ???

ZL, Game Trigger L1 / XP L, Aim / Zoom

ZR, Game Trigger R1 / XP R, Shoot / Fire

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't have this game, however I'm surprised that for the left stick D-pad UP works to move forward yet D-pad down,left, and right doesn't work for backward, left, and right, respectively. Have you tried I, K, J, L for looking up, down, left, and right with the right stick? And yes, mapping buttons is VERY VERY tedious. I ended up making 6 mapping profiles to cover all the android keys in order using the buttons on the wiimote and classic controller. Then I made a spreadsheet to keep track of everything as I tried different keys. Good Luck.

mappingspreadsheet.png

I did try those keys with no luck. I was also surprised at the fact that up moved forward but neither down nor left/right worked in the same fashion. Thanks for the input though. Gameloft games seem tough to crack.

P.S I did make an excel sheet but this forum will not let me post a link to it or an image of it because I'm too new. Sorry.

My understanding is that Wii controllers will not work on Android devices running Kit Kat. HOWEVER, you can get an On-the-Go adapter for about three dollars (micro USB male to USB female) and plug just about any PC controller into your device. I've found this is pretty handy for R-Type and Asphalt: Adrenaline in particular.

bread's done
Back